PDA

View Full Version : Throwback Hats

1951Campbell
08-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Does anyone else here have the 80's "Einhorn E" hat as their primary Sox hat, or am I the only one?

Palehose13
08-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Does anyone else here have the 80's "Einhorn E" hat as their primary Sox hat, or am I the only one?

If you are talking about the hat of the late 80's, the uni that preceded the current one. No, it's my least favorite uni.

bluestar
08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
I have been wearing that cap most of the time when I wear a cap. I like to wear it now because it is more obscure, and I think it makes me look not so much like someone just jumping on the bandwagon. I've never seen anyone else wear that cap here in Nashville, but I was in Whole Foods in Chicago once and saw someone wearing one.

Baby Fisk
08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
I luv that hat and still wear a battered old one from the 80s. It's awesome when hard core baseball fans see it and that look of recognition hits them.

Is there someplace that sells new ones? (Other than Grandstand, which never replies to my e-mails. :mad: )

bluestar
08-23-2005, 10:41 AM
I luv that hat and still wear a battered old one from the 80s.

Is there someplace that sells new ones? (Other than Grandstand, which never replies to my e-mails. :mad: )

I got mine at Grandstand.

I don't think they handle the Internet sales/inquiries very well. I prefer to call them. They have always been very helpful when I call and ask about something.

1951Campbell
08-23-2005, 10:44 AM
I like to wear it now because it is more obscure, and I think it makes me look not so much like someone just jumping on the bandwagon.

I went to a Sox game in Cleveland recently, and even among Sox fans hardcore enough to go to away games, the two most popular hats are the current ones, followed by '83. Also receiving votes: the red 70's caps and the '59 caps. But I was the only one with the late 80's cap.

I've had it since high school. Maybe it's time for a new hat. :D:

Baby Fisk
08-23-2005, 10:53 AM
I went to a Sox game in Cleveland recently, and even among Sox fans hardcore enough to go to away games, the two most popular hats are the current ones, followed by '83. Also receiving votes: the red 70's caps and the '59 caps. But I was the only one with the late 80's cap.

I've had it since high school. Maybe it's time for a new hat. :D:
Similar experience in Detroit in June: lots of current Sox hats were visible, but also the 83, 76 and 59. Not to mention the very sexy 1929 (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1843568&cp=1452347.1452702.1168173&parentPage=family) "van gogh" hat I was sporting. :cool:

One of the best thing about the Sox is their long history of different uniforms and hats for every era. Fans can show their love for the Sox but still make a statement of individuality.

Max Power
08-23-2005, 11:20 AM
I've been wearing the late 80's hat as my primary hat since the beginning of last season. You see most of the other Sox hats around, so I chose that one to be a little different. I've had people stop me on the street and say they like that hat or ask where I got it (Grandstand). Unfortunately, I've also had a couple people ask "what team is that?" or "is that a Cubs hat?" :angry:

Urban Legend
08-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I bought one at the Sox portable souvenir stand outside The Cell after Friday's game. It's a low profile one, but still very cool. I have one that I bought at Old Comiskey in '89, but it was adjustable and the plastic strap in the back broke.

What Sox hat would you like to see the Sox give away on their next promotion cap day? I've gone to 90% of them since '89 and have a great collection. I'd like to see them give away the 1929 blue road cap with the big 'S' and the small 'o' and 'x' inside the top and bottom of the 'S.'

Should we start a thread on what caps we'd like to see given away next season? And couldn't they give away caps to all in attendance, not just the first 10 or 20 thousand? I live in Ohio, and one Sunday giveaway day this seaon got to The Cell and hour and a half before game time and was shut out (fortunately it was the black Comcast cap - I think it looked like a little kids' cap, so I didn't worry about it too much). I think the promotional benefit of giving caps to all attendees would be worth something.

I wonder how much input the Sox have in detemining what style, year, and how many are given away with the promotional sponsor?

Frater Perdurabo
08-23-2005, 11:51 AM
I have one, but I never wear it. In 1987, Ozzie Guillen autographed the underside of the brim for me. :smile:

C-Dawg
08-23-2005, 12:16 PM
I wear the late-80s hat at work all the time. Its funny because no one knows what it is - my boss saw it and asked "Cleveland???".

I really ought to wear it to games though - for the last couple years I've been wearing the new style Sox hat with the silver brim to games, which is the most comfortable hat I've ever worn.

DAllen15
08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
If you are talking about the hat of the late 80's, the uni that preceded the current one. No, it's my least favorite uni.

I agree, I never liked the "E" hat. I never thought it tied into the identity of the team or city well. Wasnt' that the era that Dennis DeYoung wrote the horrible "Go Sox Go" anthem they were trying to force on all of us?

My favorites are the early 70s red hat and of course the 59 hat.

twsoxfan5
08-23-2005, 01:23 PM

I know I am in the minority here, but that hat is also my primary hat. I have an adjustable one from Grandstand that I love. That uniform is also my favorite I especially love the away jersey. It looks just like the current one except the Chicago is in Blue, outlined in Red. I do think our current uni is very classic looking though.

skottyj242
08-23-2005, 02:15 PM
I think that is one of my favorite uniforms but that's just me. I got into a fight with some lady at my dad's company picnic because she insisted that it was a Cubs hat, even when my dad and a bunch of people backed me up she was still upset. I don't have the official one though, it's the all blue flex-fit one.

Uncle_Patrick
08-23-2005, 02:29 PM
I've been trying to purchase that hat for a while, but it seems like every place that sells it never has it in my size. I was never a fan of that uni, but I'm trying to collect Sox hats from every era.

Brian26
08-23-2005, 02:34 PM
That uniform is also my favorite I especially love the away jersey. It looks just like the current one except the Chicago is in Blue, outlined in Red.

It's very similar. The "Chicago" script on the current road jersey is slightly different though....a little more streamlined. The Campbell's Soup "C" is the most obvious difference.

1951Campbell
08-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Wow, I guess I'm not alone!

Baby Fisk
08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Wow, I guess I'm not alone!
WHITE SOX BASEBALL: YOU ARE NEVER ALONE (even tho it feels like it somedays, okay most days...)

russ99
08-23-2005, 04:07 PM
My favorites are the early 70s red hat and of course the 59 hat.

Woo hoo! Early 70's red hat is also my primary - it's the first one my dad bought me. I had the plastic helmet too, I bet that would go for a lot on eBay. The late 70's all-navy block "SOX" is my secondary. I never liked the "Einhorn" one or the '83 "Expos" hat.

larryepke
08-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Does anyone know where one could by a "cake" hat like the Sox and some of the other teams wore in the early 1900s?

Baby Fisk
08-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Does anyone know where one could by a "cake" hat like the Sox and some of the other teams wore in the early 1900s?What do you mean by a cake hat? Can it be seen in this article? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104)

Desert Rat
08-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah, the 71-75 red hat is still my favorite. I had that helmet, too! A lot of great stuff at this website: www.dugout-memories.com (http://www.dugout-memories.com)
The guy even called me on a Saturday to verify my size, great service.
PS, Anyone remember Sun Giant almonds being sold at the games? I have a ball with their logo and an old Sox logo.