PDA

View Full Version : Got Wood?

DrCrawdad
08-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Ok, did any expert predict that the Cubs would be in 4th place at this point in the season?

Tonight, the highest paid set-up man in baseball gave up the winning homerun.

Any chance that the band of geezers will be playing this (http://www.ilovewavs.com/Holidays/July4/TAPS.wav) outside The Shrine tomorrow?

Palehose13
08-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Ok, did any expert predict that the Cubs would be in 4th place at this point in the season?

Any chance that the band of geezers will be playing this (http://www.ilovewavs.com/Holidays/July4/TAPS.wav) outside The Shrine tomorrow?

I think Les picked them to either be in 3rd or 4th...and the Sox in 1st. But other than him, um....no.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-22-2005, 09:54 PM
K. Wood relieved C. Zambrano - R. Furcal grounded out to second - M. Giles singled to center - C. Jones homered to deep right center, M. Giles scored - A. Jones grounded out to third - A. LaRoche struck out swinging
2 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors Atlanta 4, Chi Cubs 2

Chips
08-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Gotta love it.

cheeses_h_rice
08-22-2005, 10:20 PM
B-b-but.....................DON'T YOU REMEMBER HE STRUCK OUT 20 BATTERS IN A GAME 7 YEARS AGO?!?

Vernam
08-22-2005, 10:21 PM
If we could get Chad Hutchinson to throw a spiral like that alleged curveball Wood threw to Chipper, the Bears would be headed to the playoffs. :redneck

Loved how the Trib's sport section front page had an article today asserting that Larry McPhail is pleased with the team's "progress." Haw!!!

VC

havelj
08-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Les did pick Cubs 4th and Sox 1st. This might be wrong since the Reds are just 2 1/2 games behind the losers and the Pirates just 7. Why mention the Pirates? Well - THEY have 5 games left against the Cubs; if the Cubs think they can catch the Astros because of a bunch of games with them, why can't the Pirates think the same thing and overtake the Cubs?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47579

MIgrenade
08-22-2005, 10:39 PM
This might be wrong since the Reds are just 2 1/2 games behind the losers and the Pirates just 7. Why mention the Pirates?

How about because it means that the Cubs are closer to finishing in LAST place than the Sox are to finishing in second?

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2005, 10:39 PM
K. Wood relieved C. Zambrano - R. Furcal grounded out to second - M. Giles singled to center - C. Jones homered to deep right center, M. Giles scored - A. Jones grounded out to third - A. LaRoche struck out swinging
2 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors Atlanta 4, Chi Cubs 2Woo-Hooo! He also hit a 2-run dinger off Zambrano in the 4th. And I've got Chipper on my fantasy team. :thumbsup:

kcsportscaster
08-22-2005, 10:43 PM
2 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors Atlanta 4, Chi Cubs 2

A win the Braves desperately needed after Tim Hudson's mistake pitch to Derrek Lee in the seventh that tied the game at two following their come from behind win over the Padres Sunday night. Hudson had everything working throughout the game, baffling the Flubs batters, and getting a couple of key double plays to get him out of a couple of tight jams. Also, Chipper was huge tonight with the two two run homers that the Braves also desperately needed.

My fellow Sox fans in Chicagoland, do those of us who are also Braves fans a HUGE favor. Tough it out at the Urinal for the remaining two games and cheer the Braves on to a clean sweep of the season series with the Northside Losers. John Thomson, who had a rough outing his last time out against the Dodgers, allowing seven runs and eight hits in 3 2/3 innings of work in his second outing since returning from the disabled list, takes the mound for the Braves Tuesday night. All of you can also check out N-L Rookie of the Year candidate Jeff Francoeur this week as well.

BTW, a Wimpy sighting is definite on Wednesday afternoon as FSN-South will televise the game here in the Southeast.

And don't forget this:

http://rgwatts.tripod.com/gatorbytes/sounds.html

Scroll down until you see "Tomahawk Chant."

GO BRAVES!!!!

Chips
08-22-2005, 10:43 PM
How about because it means that the Cubs are closer to finishing in LAST place than the Sox are to finishing in second?

That would be great. And it very well can happen.
Here's hoping it does.:gulp:

ilsox7
08-22-2005, 11:17 PM
A win the Braves desperately needed after Tim Hudson's mistake pitch to Derrek Lee in the seventh that tied the game at two following their come from behind win over the Padres Sunday night. Hudson had everything working throughout the game, baffling the Flubs batters, and getting a couple of key double plays to get him out of a couple of tight jams. Also, Chipper was huge tonight with the two two run homers that the Braves also desperately needed.

My fellow Sox fans in Chicagoland, do those of us who are also Braves fans a HUGE favor. Tough it out at the Urinal for the remaining two games and cheer the Braves on to a clean sweep of the season series with the Northside Losers. John Thomson, who had a rough outing his last time out against the Dodgers, allowing seven runs and eight hits in 3 2/3 innings of work in his second outing since returning from the disabled list, takes the mound for the Braves Tuesday night. All of you can also check out N-L Rookie of the Year candidate Jeff Francoeur this week as well.

BTW, a Wimpy sighting is definite on Wednesday afternoon as FSN-South will televise the game here in the Southeast.

And don't forget this:

http://rgwatts.tripod.com/gatorbytes/sounds.html

Scroll down until you see "Tomahawk Chant."

GO BRAVES!!!!

No thanks. I seem to rememebr there being a couple of White Sox games the next two days. If I have any spare time I will make sure to at least catch part of a Sox game, not a Cub game.

kcsportscaster
08-22-2005, 11:38 PM
No thanks. I seem to rememebr there being a couple of White Sox games the next two days. If I have any spare time I will make sure to at least catch part of a Sox game, not a Cub game.

No, you wouldn't be watching a Flubs game, you, instead, would be watching a BRAVES ROAD GAME. Seriously, watching the Sox crush the Twinkies at the Baggiedome would be a bit more important for those of you in Chicagoland. I understand, BUT YOU WOULD MISS POSSIBLY BUMPING INTO WIMPY IF YOU DON'T TOUGH IT OUT AT THE URINAL ON WEDNESDAY!!!!

JB98
08-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Woo-Hooo! He also hit a 2-run dinger off Zambrano in the 4th. And I've got Chipper on my fantasy team. :thumbsup:

Another side note from that game: Zambrano retired the side three up, three down in seven of the eight innings he pitched. AND THE CUBS STILL LOST!!!!! If that doesn't prove the incompetence of the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc., I don't know what does.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-23-2005, 01:29 AM
Do Braves fans a HUGE favor. Tough it out at the Urinal for the remaining two games and cheer the Braves on to a clean sweep of the season series with the Northside Losers.
GO BRAVES!!!!

I'd love for the Sox to meet Atlanta in the World Series - It will be cheaper buying a plane ticket and face value tickets at Turner Field than trying to get a pair from a scalper.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-23-2005, 01:31 AM
Another side note from that game: Zambrano retired the side three up, three down in seven of the eight innings he pitched. AND THE CUBS STILL LOST!!!!! If that doesn't prove the incompetence of the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc., I don't know what does.

But they are so loveable and cute!

Mr. White Sox
08-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Woo-Hooo! He also hit a 2-run dinger off Zambrano in the 4th. And I've got Chipper on my fantasy team. :thumbsup:

And I've got Wood on my fantasy team! :angry: That's the last time I ever draft a flub (1st draft ever, cut me some slack.)

JB98
08-23-2005, 01:41 AM
And I've got Wood on my fantasy team! :angry: That's the last time I ever draft a flub (1st draft ever, cut me some slack.)

I'm not playing in any fantasy leagues this season, but last year, I introduced a "No Flubs, No Twins" policy for my team. It worked out well because I never had to cheer for any individuals playing on my two most hated teams.

Mr. White Sox
08-23-2005, 04:17 AM
I'm not playing in any fantasy leagues this season, but last year, I introduced a "No Flubs, No Twins" policy for my team. It worked out well because I never had to cheer for any individuals playing on my two most hated teams.

I did a similar thing this year, even though it's my first. I have a "No AL East players" policy, just to show everyone in the league that that division is overrated. Granted, I really like Toronto as a team, but I absolutely despise the red flubs and spankmees, so it feels good to be in 2nd place in the league (1st for every week until now), be a "rookie", and show up the AL East. I had one flub (Wood) and one twinkie (Rincon) that I drafted; guess I cursed them or something :smile:.

Mohoney
08-23-2005, 09:29 AM
I think Les picked them to either be in 3rd or 4th...and the Sox in 1st. But other than him, um....no.

Yup. Les said 4th.

Optipessimism
08-23-2005, 09:47 AM

I picked them 4th behind St. Louis, Houston, and Milwaukee. At first it looked like Houston was going to go away early, but I think if any lesson has been learned it is that the best pitching in the division can't be held down. The Flubs have the 4th best pitching staff and honestly I thought that by now the BrewCrew would be at least 5 games or so ahead of the Flubs.

EDIT: Everyone that works with me thought I was crazy because they had the Flubs winning the division. They didn't get it whenk I laughed at them for having no bullpen and not filling in for the departed Matt Clement. In fact, the one good move I thought they had made was dropping Shammy and picking up Hairston, but they dropped the ball with that big time. I predicted that Hairston was going to become the fulltime 2B and leadoff man and that the Flub fans were going to appreciate him as much as any other player, but man they screwed up there.

SOXintheBURGH
08-23-2005, 09:53 AM
If we could get Chad Hutchinson to throw a spiral like that alleged curveball Wood threw to Chipper, the Bears would be headed to the playoffs. :redneck

Loved how the Trib's sport section front page had an article today asserting that Larry McPhail is pleased with the team's "progress." Haw!!!

VC

He's no Chad Hermanson, thats for sure.

itsnotrequired
08-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Didn't someone make some pre-season prediction of Wood vs. Garland? Something like Garland will have more wins than Wood has starts?

SOXPHILE
08-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Does last nights performance by Carrie mean that they might have to halt or slow down construction of his own wing at the Baseball Hall of Fame ?

Gavin
08-23-2005, 10:47 AM
I remember seeing on this site a long time ago a Cubs "fan" with a Kerry "Woods" jersey. If anyone has a link to the image, I'd be mighty grateful.

cheeses_h_rice
08-23-2005, 11:13 AM
I remember seeing on this site a long time ago a Cubs "fan" with a Kerry "Woods" jersey. If anyone has a link to the image, I'd be mighty grateful.

Ask and ye shall receive (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1274).

Clembasbal
08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I think that it is obvious that Chipper is showcasing himself to the Cubs, where of course he will play next year, at LF.

SOXintheBURGH
08-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Ask and ye shall receive (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1274).

So classic.. didn't you take that after Game 6?

cheeses_h_rice
08-23-2005, 01:31 PM
So classic.. didn't you take that after Game 6?

I believe that was around the 6th or 7th inning of Game 6, as I followed the "Woods" kid up Clark Street toward Waveland. I biked over to the park to take photos beginning around the 5th inning, and captured the full gamut of emotions that night, that's for sure. I didn't even have to stick around for the 9th inning, either -- the fork done got stuck in the 8th.

:gulp:

santo=dorf
08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Didn't someone make some pre-season prediction of Wood vs. Garland? Something like Garland will have more wins than Wood has starts?

During one of the "Hot Stove" baseball talk shows on ESPN 1000 Bruce Levine said Kerry Wood would win more games than Freddy Garcia. I'm almost 100% it was unregistered who said "Freddy Garica would win more games than Kerry Wood would start."

spiffie
08-25-2005, 11:02 AM
I picked them 4th behind St. Louis, Houston, and Milwaukee. At first it looked like Houston was going to go away early, but I think if any lesson has been learned it is that the best pitching in the division can't be held down. The Flubs have the 4th best pitching staff and honestly I thought that by now the BrewCrew would be at least 5 games or so ahead of the Flubs.

On March 28th on another board I predicted the Sox would win the division and the Cubs would come in 5th in theirs. So I'm rooting for Cincy to overtake them and let me at least get that one right.

Actually, should the Yanks pull a 5 out of 6 against Boston come the end of the season, I could get all 6 divisions right for the winners :D:

UofCSoxFan
08-25-2005, 11:33 AM
To toot my own horn:

I told my flub fan teamates that the Cubs would finish in fourth place this season. There outfield offense was attrocious from the start and their rotation was bound to get hurt. They all laughed and guaranteed playoffs. I feel pretty vindicated now. Only thing is, I thought it would be StL, Hou, Cin, Cubs..:gulp: ...oh well...can't be a hundred percent right.

FedEx227
08-25-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't care what hes done this year... I'll never forget his home-run in Game 7 of the NLCS and his 20-strikeout game...plus hes throws SO FAST!!

Mark Prior got so many bad-bounces yesterday...stupid physics.