PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld on offseason pitcher movement

maurice
08-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Linky (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp?sport=MLB&storyid=15355)

Not too many top-of-the-rotation guys available, but lots of interesting names, especially relievers.

34 Inch Stick
08-22-2005, 03:18 PM
As far as starters go, the Sox have options or contracts on all 5 of this years starters. I think they will go with these guys again with McCarthy in the bullpen to eat up any spot starts that might occur.

shes
08-22-2005, 03:25 PM
I'd rather see B-Mac start in AAA and get his innings that way. If and when El Duque or anyone else gets hurt, bring him up to fill in. By opening day '07 -- if he's still with the team -- he'll be in the starting rotation, hopefully for years to come.

Jjav829
08-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Jarrod Washburn (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=5995) (Angels) - Washburn has, for the most part, overcome the arm problems that once made him look like a poor bet to have a long career. He did spend some time on the DL recently with elbow inflammation, but it seems it was only a minor problem. His only other significant injury the last five years was a rib-cage problem in 2004. With his 3.38 ERA this season pulling his career total under 4.00, hes in line to receive three or four years. I dont think hes a great investment -- he relies so much on his fastball that things will get ugly in a hurry if he loses some velocity -- but as the top lefty under 40 on the market, hes going to get $7 million per year easy. Prediction: White Sox - four years, $28 million

4 years, $28 million for Washburn? No thanks. B.J. Ryan is certainly a very intriguing name. And if we were to go after a starter (since A.J. Burnett is probably out of our price range), Matt Morris would be the guy I'd rather have. Our main targets are all likely to be hitters, though.

Mr. White Sox
08-22-2005, 04:18 PM
4 years, $28 million for Washburn? No thanks. B.J. Ryan is certainly a very intriguing name. And if we were to go after a starter (since A.J. Burnett is probably out of our price range), Matt Morris would be the guy I'd rather have. Our main targets are all likely to be hitters, though.

Matt Morris = Yes please!
The one disconcerting thing about Matt Morris was his 35HR given up last year and his 4.72 ERA that year (his WHIP was a solid 1.29). His walk totals are very low too; something vastly different from Contreras if the Sox decide to trade him.

The main guy I'd like to see the Sox go after is Rafael Furcal. Great, great range, a cannon comparable or better than Juan's, awesome speed and SB ability (35+ this year, 83% success rate), and another leadoff guy that could probably do very, very well in the #2 hole...Juan could move to the super-sub position.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-22-2005, 04:20 PM
4 years, $28 million for Washburn? No thanks.

This time I agree with Hawk

:hawk

Where you goin to put em?

The Cubans are signed through next year. Replace Garland - don't think so - especially with Washburn. He loves to give up the big fly and the Cell is a terrible fit.

maurice
08-22-2005, 04:20 PM
I don't think KW is interested in adding a starter, but if a top guy is available, he might make a move. He apparently likes Burnett, but I don't see us winning a bidding war.

The top relievers probably are out of our price range also, but KW likes to take fliers on lower-paid guys (Eyre? Urbina?). This approach is low-risk and has paid dividends in the past (Politte, Hermanson, Gordon).

SOXintheBURGH
08-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I don't think KW is interested in adding a starter, but if a top guy is available, he might make a move. He apparently likes Burnett, but I don't see us winning a bidding war.

The top relievers probably are out of our price range also, but KW likes to take fliers on lower-paid guys (Eyre? Urbina?). This approach is low-risk and has paid dividends in the past (Politte, Hermanson, Gordon).

Eyre is my official dream pick up. No deep pink here. I want Eyre.

buehrle4cy05
08-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Wow, the Yankees would be just plain stupid to give Burnett a 5 year, 65 million dollar deal. But hey, the Yankees seem to be wanting to overpay for injury-prone starters lately, so I would let them have Burnett.

What? This is BS. They don't have Wagner signing with the Cubs!!!

DumpJerry
08-22-2005, 06:29 PM
I can see KW shoring up the Bullpen a bit in the offseason unless Jenks turns out to be a closer (not sure about Hermy's long term health, but read he is getting back surgery in the offseason), adding a lefty power bat, signing Konerko and perhaps offering Mark and Jon extensions.

Maybe the Timo Perez for Derrick Lee trade will finally consumate!

Optipessimism
08-22-2005, 07:05 PM
I have a feeling that KW is going to make a serious play at Zito again over the offseason and I think he will be willing to part with enough to make the trade happen, but I don't think Barry stays in the AL.

I don't think much happens with the bullpen, but I do see Kenny grabbing Urbina which will in large part be due to Ugie's ties with Ozzie. Kenny's main focus will still be on a LH bat though, but unless he can work out a deal for Overbay or Huff I don't think anything significant happens.

Furcal would be nice because he would make both Pods and Uribe expendable who could both bring decent returns in a weak FA market, but I doubt it happens.

Jjav829
08-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Eyre is my official dream pick up. No deep pink here. I want Eyre.

Man, you need to dream bigger. :D:

Scott Eyre is your dream pick up? He's a nice reliever, but your dream pick up? :o:

My dream pick up for the free agents this offseason would be something like B.J. Ryan, A.J. Burnett or Brian Giles, not Scott Eyre.

Mr. White Sox
08-23-2005, 12:54 AM
I don't think much happens with the bullpen, but I do see Kenny grabbing Urbina which will in large part be due to Ugie's ties with Ozzie. Kenny's main focus will still be on a LH bat though, but unless he can work out a deal for Overbay or Huff I don't think anything significant happens.

Furcal would be nice because he would make both Pods and Uribe expendable who could both bring decent returns in a weak FA market, but I doubt it happens.

Rafael Furcal: My dream pickup.
We can only hope that Unkie Jerry decides to open his pockets, if only to keep the "core" intact. Even with Everett/PK probably leaving, it's getting to arbitration time for Crede/Big Jon, and AJ can hopefully get locked up.
Assuming the A's pick up Zito's 2006 $7M option (or did they already?), and if KW tries to go after Zito, Mr. Beane is going to want:
Gio Gonzalez
Ryan Sweeney
Ehren Wasserman

Just a guess...

Optipessimism
08-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Assuming the A's pick up Zito's 2006 $7M option (or did they already?), and if KW tries to go after Zito, Mr. Beane is going to want:
Gio Gonzalez
Ryan Sweeney
Ehren Wasserman

Just a guess...

I'd be just fine with that. Can you imagine how filthy a rotation of Buerhle-Garland-Zito-Garcia-Contreras would be?

That said, I think we'd better make it to at least Game 6 or 7 in the ALCS for Jerry & co. to open up like we'd like him to. If we get to the WS, then I think next year's team has a chance to be very scary.

nodiggity59
08-23-2005, 10:45 AM
While we're talkling pipedreams:D:

Deal Uribe, Anderson, and a fringer for Overbay.
Sign Furcal.
Resign Paulie to DH.
Don't pick up Everett's option.
BJ Ryan

SOXintheBURGH
08-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Man, you need to dream bigger. :D:

Scott Eyre is your dream pick up? He's a nice reliever, but your dream pick up? :o:

My dream pick up for the free agents this offseason would be something like B.J. Ryan, A.J. Burnett or Brian Giles, not Scott Eyre.

There's plenty of guys that I want as well.. I just like Eyre. He's everything Damaso Marte should be.

TheOldRoman
08-23-2005, 03:03 PM
I would be a little weary of Furcal because of his "glug glug, vroom vroom". The Cub loving media would eat that up, and he would be made to look like a pedofile/rapist/terrorist. The WGN news would interview someone who's family member was killed by a drunken driver, and they will say "this is horrible, the Sox are heartless, I could never root for them again." Here is a preview of what we would get, except 10 times worse (and thats not saying I disagree with the point of this article)
[/url][url="http://www.cnnsi.com/.../mike_fish/10/08/furcal.jail/%3C/a%3E%3C/b%3E"]www.cnnsi.com/.../mike_fish/10/08/furcal.jail/ (http://www.cnnsi.com/.../mike_fish/10/08/furcal.jail/)

I guess the Cubune will tear the Sox to shreds no matter what they do, so we might as well sign Furcal. I am pretty sure than either Furcal or Alex Gonzalez of the Marlins will be our shortstop next year. Furcal is an upgrade, but Im not so sure about Gonzalez and his .245 career average. Either way, we need to keep our defense as good while improving our offense. Furcal would be great, plus Uribe could take Ozuna's spot.

Tragg
08-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Linky (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp?sport=MLB&storyid=15355)

Not too many top-of-the-rotation guys available, but lots of interesting names, especially relievers.

That's good for us; we don't need a F/A starter, and now no one else can get better via FA either. We have 5 solid startes plus BM. In real good shape.

How does the list of hitters look? Some activity there may be in order.

MIgrenade
08-24-2005, 11:01 PM
While we're talkling pipedreams:D:

Deal Uribe, Anderson, and a fringer for Overbay.

I think that's over pricing a move for Overbay. The Brewers will be desperate to move him so the price shouldn't be a starter and an A prospect. I'm not saying Overbay isn't worth that, I just don't think the Sox should have to pay it. OTOH, if demand is high for him, which it might be, then I think that's a good move.

maurice
08-25-2005, 11:07 AM
How does the list of hitters look?

Analogous position player thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56113&highlight=rotoworld).