PDA

View Full Version : The spectacular Chris Young

maurice
08-22-2005, 12:40 PM
This past weekend, Young went 8-16 (.500), 3B, 3 HR, 3 BB, 3 SB, 5 R, 4 RBI, raising his season stats to .282 AVE, .380 OBP, .566 SLG, 39 2B, 3 3B, 24 HR, 60 BB, 25 SB (83%), 84 R, 71 RBI, 3 E in 111 games. In one game, he hit 2 HR and had 2 bunt singles down the 3B line.

Not bad for a 21-year-old-kid who skipped high-A-ball and is listed at 185 lbs.

ChiSoxRowand
08-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Minorleaguebaseball.com named him Star of the day (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050822&content_id=22462&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp) for Sunday.

JermaineDye05
08-22-2005, 03:19 PM
i really hope he gets put on the 40 man roster and is called up in september, he's gonna be amazing

Mr. White Sox
08-22-2005, 05:47 PM
:hawk
where do you play him?
I don't know if he's ready for a september callup; Maurice/Randar, is he polished enough for a call to the bigs this early, or will we have to wait another couple of years?

Hagan
08-23-2005, 04:36 PM
i dont see young getting a call up yet. His skill levels are very high but he is rather young and like someone said before we have no place to put him. Give him a few years and watch him become a stud. He is my favorite minor leaguer on the white sox right now.

Ol' No. 2
08-23-2005, 05:11 PM
i dont see young getting a call up yet. His skill levels are very high but he is rather young and like someone said before we have no place to put him. Give him a few years and watch him become a stud. He is my favorite minor leaguer on the white sox right now.I thought they were sending him to the Arizona Fall League. They wouldn't do both.

Letmehearya
08-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Maybe I don't want Griffey. This kid's a potential superstar. I've heard KW say "wait 'til you see what's coming." Sweeney, Anderson and Young are a nice trio to have waiting in the wings.:smile:

DaleJRFan
08-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Maybe I don't want Griffey. This kid's a potential superstar. I've heard KW say "wait 'til you see what's coming." Sweeney, Anderson and Young are a nice trio to have waiting in the wings.:smile:

I'll take my chances with what we have. What the hell can Griffey do with no one on base?? They guys we have now have to start hitting. I am one of the few in the minority that aren't willing to mortgage the future for Griffey. The Sox drafted and developed these guys. I want to see them play, on the southside.

Randar68
08-23-2005, 09:18 PM
I thought they were sending him to the Arizona Fall League. They wouldn't do both.

Sure, but those assignments always change up until the last minute. Sweeney is supposed to go too, but he may have surgery on his wrist at the end of the season instead...

Letmehearya
08-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Randar:

The more I read about Chris Young, the more I'm glad he's still ours. How good is he? I thought I read where he could be Mike Cameron or he could be Barry Bonds. What's your long-range take on this guy? Thanks.

Randar68
08-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Randar:

The more I read about Chris Young, the more I'm glad he's still ours. How good is he? I thought I read where he could be Mike Cameron or he could be Barry Bonds. What's your long-range take on this guy? Thanks.

Alfonso Soriano with more patience.

He could be a 30-30 and potentially a 40-40 guy who garners votes for a Gold Glove in CF (arm isn't spectacular, but very good otherwise and because we know hitting stats help in gold glove consideration), he has that kind of talent. He walks a bunch and his K numbers have dropped considerably since the first 2 months of the year.

I still wonder if he will get exposed at some point, but to make the kinds of adjustments he's made this year in a 2-level jump and to be having an MVP-type season... He's still just scratching the surface of his potential. His second-half numbers when healthy have been eye-popping.

All you have to do is watch him take BP. The ball sounds differently than anyone else around. If he makes consistent enough contact at the MLB level, he's going to be a legit super-star IMO. I've pretty-much moved him right up next to McCarthy on my prospect list.

Letmehearya
08-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Alfonso Soriano with more patience.

He could be a 30-30 and potentially a 40-40 guy who garners votes for a Gold Glove in CF (arm isn't spectacular, but very good otherwise and because we know hitting stats help in gold glove consideration), he has that kind of talent. He walks a bunch and his K numbers have dropped considerably since the first 2 months of the year.

I still wonder if he will get exposed at some point, but to make the kinds of adjustments he's made this year in a 2-level jump and to be having an MVP-type season... He's still just scratching the surface of his potential. His second-half numbers when healthy have been eye-popping.

All you have to do is watch him take BP. The ball sounds differently than anyone else around. If he makes consistent enough contact at the MLB level, he's going to be a legit super-star IMO. I've pretty-much moved him right up next to McCarthy on my prospect list.

Maybe the new Reds' owners did us a huge favor in keeping Griffey. Thanks for the info.

maurice
09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
I'd be remiss if I did not add that Chris Young also is a very nice guy. Before games, he signs autographs for anybody who wants one. Every time he catches a ball for the 3rd out, he scans the crowd for a kid.

After making an outstanding catch in deep RCF for the 3rd out on Tuesday night, he was unable to find a kid (there were only 5 in the whole park at that point), so he flipped the ball to Mrs. / Dr. Maurice instead. That's an easy way to make a fan for life. It also helps that he went 2-3, BB, SF, 2 R, RBI.
:cool:

Randar68
09-01-2005, 03:02 PM
I'd be remiss if I did not add that Chris Young also is a very nice guy. Before games, he signs autographs for anybody who wants one. Every time he catches a ball for the 3rd out, he scans the crowd for a kid.

After making an outstanding catch in deep RCF for the 3rd out on Tuesday night, he was unable to find a kid (there were only 5 in the whole park at that point), so he flipped the ball to Mrs. / Dr. Maurice instead. That's an easy way to make a fan for life. It also helps that he went 2-3, BB, SF, 2 R, RBI.
:cool:

Saying he is a nice guy is a HUGE understatement. In the times I've talked to him he's been cordial, very honest and humble in his self-assessments and in describing his game, and overall, just a fun-loving kid who is having the time of his life playing professional baseball and working his tail off to become the best he can possibly be.

He is a practical joker and a guy his teammates would step in front of a bullet for. In my time watching and evaluating minor league prospects, I've never been rooting harder for a guy to hit the big-time.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Maybe the new Reds' owners did us a huge favor in keeping Griffey.
24 hours ago, I would have been willing to send our whole farm system to Cincinatti for a badly needed offensive shot-in-the-arm like Griffey.

But there's no use crying over what might have been. Time to switch gears and start rooting for these future stars the Sox managed (were forced) to hold onto.

Since I'm ready to get attached to him now (kind of like the puppy who survives its first week in the house), does anyone have a photo of Chris Young they could post?

santo=dorf
09-01-2005, 09:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/UPHunter89/Sports%20Logos/16435489.jpg

From Spring Training.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-01-2005, 10:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/UPHunter89/Sports%20Logos/16435489.jpg

From Spring Training.
Thanks! I vaguely recall seeing him now - how cool was it to have all those ST games televised, huh? I hope they plan to do that again next spring, since I've enjoyed being able to put faces with all the Anderson/Sweeney/Rogowski/Fields etc. updates this season.