PDA

View Full Version : Big surprise: Minnenoplace writer talking trash about the Sox

FanofBill
08-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Just something to get our blood boil getting ready for the Twins:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5571835.html
Jim Souhan: It's just following tradition for the White Sox to choke

"Maybe we can put some fear in them," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said after Sunday's game. Before, he said, "They have a single-digit lead [over Cleveland] now, so you know they're starting to feel the effects. And that's half the battle, to see how people handle things."

"I wouldn't bet your house that the Twins will win the division. But even if the Twins only aid Cleveland in overtaking these Tight Sox, this would be the ultimate Minnesota insult to Chicago's misplaced arrogance."

"Nor would I bet my money on the White Sox to survive past Oct. 9, not towing the twin anchors of recent underachievement and historic Chicago baseball failure."

Baby Fisk
08-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Meh. It's vanilla. People here are harder on the Sox, and the roaring plummets into melancholy are more entertaining (see Roadhouse). :cool:

soltrain21
08-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Where the hell does "misplaced arrogance" come into play?

I have yet to hear one member of the Sox make a stupid comment about being awesome or the other teams sucking.

DenverSock
08-22-2005, 11:01 AM
I do not believe White Sox fans consider the Twins the enemy the same way the Yankees' fans hat the Red Sox or Dodger fans hate the Giants or Vice-a-Versa, but maybe we should start. I find the twinkies with their garbage bag dome sort of obnoxious.

Palehose13
08-22-2005, 11:22 AM
That's just what this team needed...a little bulletin board material. :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 11:26 AM
That's just what this team needed...a little bulletin board material.

My thoughts exactly. However I'm sure PsychoBitch will have an amusing take on this for her blog. Quick! Alert Salon magazine!!!

:wink:

samram
08-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Just something to get our blood boil getting ready for the Twins:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5571835.html
Jim Souhan: It's just following tradition for the White Sox to choke

"Maybe we can put some fear in them," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said after Sunday's game. Before, he said, "They have a single-digit lead [over Cleveland] now, so you know they're starting to feel the effects. And that's half the battle, to see how people handle things."

"I wouldn't bet your house that the Twins will win the division. But even if the Twins only aid Cleveland in overtaking these Tight Sox, this would be the ultimate Minnesota insult to Chicago's misplaced arrogance."

"Nor would I bet my money on the White Sox to survive past Oct. 9, not towing the twin anchors of recent underachievement and historic Chicago baseball failure."

Do the quotation marks around the last two paragraphs indicate that Gardenhire actually said that? If so, that's really silly.

miker
08-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey, if I lived and worked in Minnesota, I'd be a cranky drillrod too...

Soxzilla
08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey Radke, all those wins in April sure are making a difference right now.

JAG!:bandance:

FanofBill
08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Do the quotation marks around the last two paragraphs indicate that Gardenhire actually said that? If so, that's really silly.

No, only the first one. The rest was from that writer.

LuvSox
08-22-2005, 11:57 AM
The White Sox choke? What the hell has Minnesota done lately? Choke in the playoffs, that's what.

grizzbr
08-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Greetings from the Twin Cities(wish I could get that job transfer and the hell out of here)
I saw this headline this morning and was very amused. People up here always bash the SOX when the only traditions they have are playing indoor baseball under the big top tent. A totally circus-like atmosphere.I put my new SOX trailer hitch on the truck over the weekend. It's amazing how many fingers are flipped my way when they drive by me. I just flip 'em back.
Go SOX and good luck up here this week. Beat those Creampuffs er' Twinkies.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Who else thinks Jim Souhan could get lucky with PsychoBitch? They're probably IMing each other right now...

Uncle_Patrick
08-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Yawn....

The sportswriters in MN and a lot Twins fans have this weird delusion that the White Sox are always talking about the Twins and always insulting them. I know there's been a few occurances in the past, but they talk about it like it happens all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if that comment about misplaced Chicago arrogance wasn't just a shot at Chicago in general. So many other Midwesterners hate Chicago, I wouldn't be suprised it that accounted for a lot of the hatred for the Sox coming out of MN.

WritingUlgy83
08-22-2005, 02:36 PM
All......I thought this was an intresting article!!! If I were Ozzie I would blow this up on a poster board and put it in the dugout for all the players too see!!! The reporter calls chicago the "City of the Slumping Shoulders' " he even says they would like to help Cleveland beat us "But even if the Twins only aid Cleveland in overtaking these Tight Sox, this would be the ultimate Minnesota insult to Chicago's misplaced arrogance."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5571835.html

Let's Sweep EM and start a decade long domination of the Central Division!!!:gulp:

skobabe8
08-22-2005, 02:39 PM
All......I thought this was an intresting article!!! If I were Ozzie I would blow this up on a poster board and put it in the dugout for all the players too see!!! The reporter calls chicago the "City of the Slumping Shoulders' " he even says they would like to help Cleveland beat us "But even if the Twins only aid Cleveland in overtaking these Tight Sox, this would be the ultimate Minnesota insult to Chicago's misplaced arrogance."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5571835.html

Let's Sweep EM and start a decade long domination of the Central Division!!!:gulp:

Theres a thread on this.

chitownhawkfan
08-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Wouldnt you be bitter if it were snowing 11 months a year?

Baby Fisk
08-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Who else thinks Jim Souhan could get lucky with PsychoBitch? They're probably IMing each other right now...

JS - "Do you like LEGO?"
PB - "I LOOOOOOOVE LEGO!"
JS - "What are you wearing?"
PB - "Kent Hrbek's boxer shorts. I bought them on eBay!"
JS - "You minx!"
PB - "Jerk! Go to hell! (what does minx mean?)"

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 03:30 PM
"Slumping shoulders"?
"Misplaced arrogance"?
:?:

We should start a pool on the length of Souhan's unit.

The over/under is 3.

hose
08-22-2005, 03:56 PM
My thoughts exactly. However I'm sure PsychoBitch will have an amusing take on this for her blog. Quick! Alert Salon magazine!!!

George are you referring to Fat Girl ? .....my bad, Bat Girl.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 03:57 PM
George are you referring to Fat Girl ? .....my bad, Bat Girl.

Bat Girl? I thought it was PscyhoBitch?

:cool:

PennStater98r
08-22-2005, 03:58 PM
I had to drop this guy a note - being that his e-mail address is listed on the site.

Told told him that he must have plenty of time to write this type of article staring up from 3rd place - being that he doesn't have much else to write about!

Mr. White Sox
08-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Where the hell does "misplaced arrogance" come into play?

If anything, "misplaced arrogance" applies to Twins fans!
See:
Leslie Monteiro
TwinsWinTwinsWin
etc. etc.

Over By There
08-22-2005, 04:33 PM
"Slumping shoulders"?
"Misplaced arrogance"?
:?:

We should start a pool on the length of Souhan's unit.

The over/under is 3.

Centimeters? :cool:

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
I had to drop this guy a note - being that his e-mail address is listed on the site.

Told told him that he must have plenty of time to write this type of article staring up from 3rd place - being that he doesn't have much else to write about!
you shouldve told me the sox have lost 7 out of 8 and STILL have the best record in the AL. you shouldve told him maybe just maybe its because Pods and Thomas are on the DL and Konerko has a bad back. you should have told him the best thing to come out of Minnesota was the sign that says you are now leaving Minnesota-You should have told him that hawk was correct when he said the Twins play in an excellent football facility. or maybe Ill do that myself. lets sweep those bastards and show them not only dod we get their catcher but we got their thunder too.

DumpJerry
08-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I used to live up there (school and a few years after graduating). They've got a weird thing for anything Chicago. They ridicule our politics without understanding what goes on here and ridicule our LOCAL pro sports teams (in other words, the Flubs get a free pass, but why should that be any surprise?). I was up there in '85 when the Bears totally spanked the Vikes (I don't know if they realized the whole NFL except for Marino got it that year from the Bears, they were too upset about their precious Vikes to notice). They hated McMahon for winning in '85. I had fun with them when Jimmy Mac signed with the Vikes at the end of his career. They really hate the Sox because, well, just because.

I used to go to Sox games up there and cheer and yell my head off for the Good Guys without worry, those little (censored) only yell, they don't bite. I quit going to baseball games up there because indoor baseball is worse than you can imagine if you have never done it. There is zero, ZERO, appeal to watching a game without the elements of wind, sun, etc. present. Not to mention feeling the cool breeze of the air conditioner in your face............

I can't explain why they hate Chicago so much other than the fact that they are probably envious of us.

Time to sweep them out of the Baggie Dome!

Babe The Blue Ox
08-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Save for a few Twins bloggers and some passable beat writers (every town has them), most people in Minnesota really don't care about the White Sox actually. Most Minnesotans would consider the Packers a real rivalry worth considering.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-23-2005, 01:19 AM
I can't explain why they hate Chicago so much other than the fact that they are probably envious of us.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3171&stc=1

"Well for one thing your bartenders won't serve us when we are drunk out of our minds. On top of that we get arrested when we slap your cops and other assorted little people around. Don't you people KNOW WHO WE ARE. Go Twins You Betcha"

DrCrawdad
08-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Save for a few Twins bloggers and some passable beat writers (every town has them), most people in Minnesota really don't care about the White Sox actually.

I'd say that most don't care about the Twins, actually.

DumpJerry
08-23-2005, 08:13 AM
Well, in a shocker, the Chicago Cubune reprinted the article in today's edition. I am sooooo surprised!:angry:

Babe The Blue Ox
08-23-2005, 06:59 PM
I'd say that most don't care about the Twins, actually. I would agree. Outside of the East Coast teams, it really doesn't matter.

Sox Blue 69-70
08-24-2005, 04:07 AM
Save for a few Twins bloggers and some passable beat writers (every town has them), most people in Minnesota really don't care about the White Sox actually. Most Minnesotans would consider the Packers a real rivalry worth considering.

Definitely true. I very rarely get any $%^& while wearing any Sox apparel around here, even yesterday (Tuesday). I never felt uncomfortable cheering for the Hawks in the old Met Center, either. Souhan's columns are usually only good for one thing, but veteran writer Pat Reusse of the same paper put together a nice article about Ozzie yesterday:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1405/5573778.html

(apologies if this has been covered in another post)