PDA

View Full Version : WSI Redeye

Lip Man 1
08-22-2005, 08:48 AM
I understand there is a story on Sox fans in Monday's Redeye with comments from George Bove (PHG). Since the complete story is not posted on the internet version of Redeye via the Tribune can someone post comments and the summery?

Lip

Flight #24
08-22-2005, 09:00 AM
I understand there is a story on Sox fans in Monday's Redeye with comments from George Bove (PHG). Since the complete story is not posted on the internet version of Redeye via the Tribune can someone post comments and the summery?

Lip

Hopefully the article includes George Bove's thoughts on Jose Valentine and Mark Burly.

skottyj242
08-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I read it on the train this morning, can't remember exactly what it said but I'll try and remember.

Five reasons not to panic:
1. The Cubs-we don't have curses/demons.
2. American League Central-we're 32-12 and have 14 left with KC/Detroit.
3. 74-39-You don't play that well and then forget how you got there.
4. Math-if the Sox were to go 20-21 the rest of the way Cleveland would have
to go 27-11.
5. Pitching-the seven game slide was the offense, not the pitching.

Five reasons to panic:
1. The Cubs-collapse fo 1969.
2. Sixteen Games-against the Indians and Twins.
3. Little Playoff Experience-Ozzie doesn't know pressure of September race.
4. No Reliable Hitter-We don't have Derrek Lee.
5. Injuries-Dustin, Crede, Paulie and Pods.

That's pretty much it, so there's really not a Cub bias there huh? An article about the Sox and they mention the Cubs three times? What a joke.

Rocky Soprano
08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
4. No Reliable Hitter-We don't have Derrek Lee.

The Cubs have Derrek Lee yet they can't even play .500 baseball. So much for that theory.

Baby Fisk
08-22-2005, 10:12 AM
The Cubs have Derrek Lee yet they can't even play .500 baseball. So much for that theory.
ZING! :cheers:

SOXintheBURGH
08-22-2005, 10:16 AM
ZING! :cheers:

Baby Fisk could feel that ZING! all the way in Trawno that zinged so hard.

:cheers:

Baby Fisk
08-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Baby Fisk could feel that ZING! all the way in Trawno that zinged so hard.

:cheers:A good Flubbie zinger resonates everywhere eh? :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Inside today's RedEye the Cubune uses the same feature "Five reasons to not panic/Five reasons to panic" that also graces the back page of the Cubune sports section. It's just another example of how the synergies between each Cubune entity are used to help each other out -- except the Flubbies, of course. Cubune public editor Don Wycliff says, "Our problem is your tough ****."
:wink:

However the RedEye's cover feature is "Sox S.O.S." featuring a Sox baseball blown in half. Under the title "Living on the Edge" on p. 14, Jimmy Greenfield writes about how Sox Fans are holding up under the stress of the recent slump.

(Jimmy is the same guy who wrote the quote on the WSI masthead, "White Sox Interactive -- meet the most intelligent and bitter Sox Fans around. Be careful some of them bite.")

Here's what he quoted from yours truly."We're too realistic to think this team isn't one disaster away from oblivion, because that's been the history of the team going back to 1919."

"When you're a Sox Fan you're really not used to being up high very much. You're used to being in the shadow or otherwise second or third place. We don't deal with success very well as a group."
He also quotes hitting coach Greg Walker and several Sox Fans he interviewed around the ballpark. One guy wishes the playoffs wouldn't start because the regular season has been too fun. Another claims the Sox will go all the way if they can just get past Round 1. And of course a third guy couldn't help but get a slam in on the Cubs.

There is a priceless half-page photo of Sox Fans holding a terrific sign inside Sox Park. It features a picture of Alfred E. Neumann (Mad magazine) with a Sox logo on his lapel and the line, "What me worry? GO SOX!" I wish I had thought of that.. with a flying sock logo, of course.
:thumbsup:

The quote Jimmy didn't use from me was about our chances in the postseason. I said luck is necessary to win the championship and since our ballplayers have no relationship to the past Sox ballplayers who fell short, I like our chances in the playoffs as much as anybody else's. "Must remember... short, punchy sentences..."
:wink:

Overall, I'd say the website came off looking pretty good.
:cool:

:fsock

LuvSox
08-22-2005, 12:12 PM

maurice
08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.redeyechicago.com/imgs/covermonday.jpg (http://www.redeyechicago.com/cover.htm)
The article is posted at chicagosports.com.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 02:17 PM

Good catch. Here is the link if anyone is interested in reading the entire story.

You must be Cubune registered. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050822redeyesox,1,1641044.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

skobabe8
08-22-2005, 02:18 PM

I think his stint with the Braves and getting a ring with the Marlins says otherwise.

Palehose13
08-22-2005, 02:43 PM

:?:

I guess his brief stint in Atlanta and then being on the coaching staff off the 2003 Campion Marlins doesn't count.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 02:49 PM
:?:

I guess his brief stint in Atlanta and then being on the coaching staff off the 2003 Campion Marlins doesn't count.

Not exactly. That was paraphrasing about a completely different article skotty read. Here is what was actually written by DAVE VAN DYCK about "five reasons to panic"...

Little Playoff Experience. Teams, such as the Yankees, that have been through the stress of Septembers past know how to handle the pressure that comes with a dwindling lead. Ozzie Guillen has never been through this as a manager, though he has as a player.

Palehose13
08-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Not exactly. That was paraphrasing about a completely different article skotty read. Here is what was actually written by DAVE VAN DYCK about "five reasons to panic"...

Ah thanks...that's a little better. However, since this is only his second year as manager it's nice that he'll be getting that "playoff experience" thing out of the way early in his managing career.

Jerko
08-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, we can't ALL have Dusty's post-season prowess on our side.

white sox bill
08-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Nice quotes PHG---You done us proud!

billnahorodny
08-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Every morning on my way to the el...I pass a box carrying this rag. Through the Flubs historic 88 win 2003 dream season, I would be hit with feelings of nausea and wretching seeing the daily chronicle of stupidity. The same feelings came around for the daily sammy soap opera last year.
So you can imagine how surprised I've been all season that they weren't covering the Sox as closely!
But some divine providence appears to have interceded making me decide to drive this morning rather than take the el. Otherwise my foot would probably still be lodged in that little window.
Even though people's comments here seem to indicate the tone of the article isn't that bad...it's just infuriating that the Sox get ignored all season while they posess the best record in baseball. But the pettiness of the cubune just can't resist the opportunity to take a swipe at the Sox the first chance they had! If the Sox had been winning at a .640 clip since the all-star break...I'm sure we wouldn't be discussing today's positive Sox cover story...we would have been subjected to some of RedEye's regular moronic tripe about 50cent or Tara Reid or some of the other 6th grade drivel they regularly regurgitate. :angry:

maurice
08-22-2005, 04:37 PM
people's comments here seem to indicate the tone of the article isn't that bad...

That's why I posted the cover with the ridiculous picture and a line that reads, "Failure is woven into the fabric of Sox fans." It's the latest example of a fairly unbiased article getting an absurdly negative spin by Cubune editors. All this on the day AFTER the Sox losing streak ENDS with a one-inning asskicking of Randy Johnson.
:angry:

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Not exactly. That was paraphrasing about a completely different article skotty read. Here is what was actually written by DAVE VAN DYCK about "five reasons to panic"...How much experience did these guys have prior to their big moment:

Terry Francona
Jack McKeon
Mike Scioscia
Bob Brenly

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 04:48 PM
How much experience did these guys have prior to their big moment:

Van Dyck is grasping at straws going after Ozzie. He would have been far better off if he had made an issue of the Sox' PLAYERS lack of playoff success.

Baby Fisk
08-22-2005, 04:56 PM
http://www.redeyechicago.com/imgs/covermonday.jpg (http://www.redeyechicago.com/cover.htm)

WHITE SOX BASEBALL: WE'D NEVER ASK YOU TO EAT THIS BALL IN OUR NAME.

C-Dawg
08-22-2005, 07:40 PM
That's why I posted the cover with the ridiculous picture and a line that reads, "Failure is woven into the fabric of Sox fans." It's the latest example of a fairly unbiased article getting an absurdly negative spin by Cubune editors.

Ironic how they're trying to pin the failure label on us when its THEIR team that's known as the "Lovable Losers".

Foulke You
08-22-2005, 07:47 PM
WHITE SOX BASEBALL: WE'D NEVER ASK YOU TO EAT THIS BALL IN OUR NAME.
:roflmao: