PDA

View Full Version : Loss Column

infohawk
08-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Somebody help me out. While the Sox have an 8.5 game lead over the Indians, the Sox have played 3 fewer games and have a 10 game lead in the loss column. Isn't the loss column a better indicator of what the lead is at this moment because of the potential for winning one or more of those 3 games? In other words, it's only an 8.5 game lead if you were to assume 3 Sox losses for the make-up games. I presume it could cut the other way as well if the team with the lead has played more games then those teams that are lower in the standings.

ilsox7
08-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Somebody help me out. While the Sox have an 8.5 game lead over the Indians, the Sox have played 3 fewer games and have a 10 game lead in the loss column. Isn't the loss column a better indicator of what the lead is at this moment because of the potential for winning one or more of those 3 games? In other words, it's only an 8.5 game lead if you were to assume 3 Sox losses for the make-up games. I presume it could cut the other way as well if the team with the lead has played more games then those teams that are lower in the standings.

Yep. The loss column is much more important b/c those are games you cannot get back. I view our lead as a 10 game lead b/c I always base it on the loss column.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm sure ChisoxBob and Soxwon have already added those 3 unplayed games into the loss column. Why wait to actually play them?

:cool:

Oh, and...

ChisoxBob's balls are Shrinking!

:wink:

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Somebody help me out. While the Sox have an 8.5 game lead over the Indians, the Sox have played 3 fewer games and have a 10 game lead in the loss column. Isn't the loss column a better indicator of what the lead is at this moment because of the potential for winning one or more of those 3 games? In other words, it's only an 8.5 game lead if you were to assume 3 Sox losses for the make-up games. I presume it could cut the other way as well if the team with the lead has played more games then those teams that are lower in the standings.Not quite. Each extra games count as 0.5. If the Sox were to actually lose those 3 games, they would be 75-49 while the Indians would be 68-56. The Sox would lead by 7 games, not 8.5. OTOH, if they were to win all three, they would lead by 10.

infohawk
08-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the information you guys!:smile: