PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love Widger

TomBradley72
08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
How about Widger...two HUGE home runs that come to mind this season in big wins against two of the top lefties in the game: the dinger off Zito at Oakland and today's off Johnson.

Can anyone remember a time when a back up catcher on the White Sox came through like Widge has this year?

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Johnson is a top lefty today as kerry wood is the best right handed pitcher to ever exist

bafiarocks03
08-21-2005, 08:22 PM
yah, Widgeinator is awesome!!!!! :D: :D:

VivaOzzie
08-21-2005, 08:26 PM
He is definitely a top notch backup, and I'm glad that he proved he can call a game for Contreras (assuming he called the pitches). Plus, he kinda reminds me of Parkman, only adding to his bad-assedness.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Ron Karkovice when he was backing up Fisk in 1990. He had an inside the park Grand Slam in Minnesota driving in all the runs in a 5-1 win which broke I think, a five game losing streak.

I also remember Matt Merullo hitting a two out 9th inning home run off Jeff Reardon in Boston tying the game which the Sox won in extra innings. I want to say it was in May of 1991.

Lip

ShoelessJoeS
08-21-2005, 09:04 PM
How did he hit that pitch, it was like eye level.....mad props Widge!

:bandance:

Bisco Stu
08-21-2005, 09:07 PM
CW is the most underrated backup backstop in MLB.

MarySwiss
08-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Widger is amazing.

I had just finished telling Mr. MarySwiss that he was p****** me off and yelling at him--on the TV mind you--"C'mon Chris. Don't try to kill it. You've only got three home runs all year. Just get a hit."

Whoops, never mind!

Soxzilla
08-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Ron Karkovice when he was backing up Fisk in 1990. He had an inside the park Grand Slam in Minnesota driving in all the runs in a 5-1 win which broke I think, a five game losing streak.

I also remember Matt Merullo hitting a two out 9th inning home run off Jeff Reardon in Boston tying the game which the Sox won in extra innings. I want to say it was in May of 1991.

Lip

Ahh yes. The magical 5 run homer. You don't see those too often nowadays.

:redface::tongue::dtroll:

Karko hitting an inside the park SHOULD be worth 5 runs tho...seriously...Karko...yikes.:redneck

Lip Man 1
08-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Soxzilla:

I assumed it was easily noted that a grand slam is only worth four runs however he also drove in the other run later in the game, ergo five runs.

Lip

Soxzilla
08-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Soxzilla:

I assumed it was easily noted that a grand slam is only worth four runs however he also drove in the other run later in the game, ergo five runs.

Lip

Now that...I didn't even think about.

Well...uhh......huh. I feel stupid. My apologies LIP!

Argalarga
08-21-2005, 10:57 PM

For some reason, I really remember that, much more than anything else that happened in '90.

Erik The Red
08-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Soxzilla:

Lip
Well, to be fair, your choice of wording kinda made it seem like the grand slam knocked in all 5 runs.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-22-2005, 12:53 AM
I wonder if Ozzie ever thought of playing Widger at Catcher and having AJ DH with Konerko out or in general. I saw Everett limping around on the base paths on Wednesday night when I was at the game. Rowand hit a rope and would have made second but Everett got a late jump and limped into second and had no thoughts of going to third on the play.

At this point Konerko can smoke Everett in a race. If Everett isn't right lets let AJ DH a night or two more than his usual day or two off or maybe limit it to 1 or 2 games a week. Keep his legs fresh for the playoffs while keeping the bating eye fresh.

Just a thought.

slavko
08-22-2005, 01:09 AM
For some reason, I really remember that, much more than anything else that happened in '90. Line drive over SS that split the LF and CF and rolled to the fence on the carpet, one of them went to field the ball and fell on his keyster while the other turned his back to the play and watched Kark circle the bases. Unforgettable.

TornLabrum
08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
I wonder if Ozzie ever thought of playing Widger at Catcher and having AJ DH with Konerko out or in general.

That would be utterly stupid. If Widger gets hurt, A.J. has to catch. If A.J. has to catch, you lose the DH. This is why teams with two catcher NEVER EVER DH one of them.

Letmehearya
08-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I seem to recall Marc "The Booter" Hill coming up big in a back-up role in 1983.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-22-2005, 09:24 AM
That would be utterly stupid. If Widger gets hurt, A.J. has to catch. If A.J. has to catch, you lose the DH. This is why teams with two catcher NEVER EVER DH one of them.
Actually Tom you are wrong on this. Javy Lopez has DH'd 15 times this season to keep him fresh and his bat in the lineup. Even accounting for this emergency scenario if God forbid Widger did get hurt and had to leave the game you insert AJ and you pinch hit for the pitchers spot. I rather take the off chance Widger gets hurt and have a good bat in the lineup vs. eat four at bats of Timo, Ozuna, etc.

harwar
08-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Chris is just the kind of guy that a championship team would have as a backup.
Another piece is nicely in place for the playoff run.

TDog
08-22-2005, 12:25 PM
In August 1994, when Mike LaValliere was backing up Ron Karkovice, the Sox were playing in Anaheim (barely in first place although fans insisted there there a lock for a World Series championship). On a Sunday afternoon, the Sox were down to their last out, trailing 5-3. I was sitting down the right-field line, ready to hit the highway to drive 250 miles when Spanky hit a 2-run homer to tie the game. Jose DeLeon's clutch long relief work kept the Sox in a long extra-inning game that ended with a 6-run Sox inning. Ozzie Guillen capped it with a triple to drive in a couple. A few days later, the strike ended the season.

Spanky has his moments as a backup, although I don't think he ever topped that one Sunday afternoon at bat. You're right, though, about Widger's success this year. The hitting from Sox catchers this season has exceeded expectations.

tacosalbarojas
08-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Actually Tom you are wrong on this. Javy Lopez has DH'd 15 times this season to keep him fresh and his bat in the lineup. Even accounting for this emergency scenario if God forbid Widger did get hurt and had to leave the game you insert AJ and you pinch hit for the pitchers spot. I rather take the off chance Widger gets hurt and have a good bat in the lineup vs. eat four at bats of Timo, Ozuna, etc.The O's must have a suitable third or emergency catcher that allows them to do that. With only two on the roster, I doubt they would leave themselves open to not having a catcher available on the bench. If an injury happens in the first inning, how often are you going to pinch hit for the pitchers' spot? I guess it's all about how careful you want to be. Now if Burke or Davis were around to supplement Widge and AJ, then we could do it without worry.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-22-2005, 05:33 PM
The O's must have a suitable third or emergency catcher that allows them to do that. With only two on the roster, I doubt they would leave themselves open to not having a catcher available on the bench. If an injury happens in the first inning, how often are you going to pinch hit for the pitchers' spot? I guess it's all about how careful you want to be. Now if Burke or Davis were around to supplement Widge and AJ, then we could do it without worry.

I understand your point but I think it is worth the gamble - how often does a Catcher leave the game due to injury - a few times a season at most. I rather play the odds and take the chance. Say it backfires once in 10 or 15 games. That is 9 - 14 games replacing a Timo or an Ozuna in the lineup - worth the chance when Konerko is out, Everett looks sore, Podsednik and Thomas are on the DL and the Sox could use a bat.

I really like this strategy in September - Let AJ get 2 - 3 days off a week catching and let him DH 1 or 2 games a week to keep him fresh.

I wounder if Everett will need some DL time - he was limping at the game I was at Wednesday. He should have made it to third on a rope hit by Rowand but Rowand was forced to a single because Everett was not going to third unless he could walk there after a HR.

Better to get the injuries out of the way now. A day off for everyone is a welcome reprieve though I wish we could have kept the momentum up after yesterday.

Go White Sox!!!

tacosalbarojas
08-23-2005, 10:03 AM
I understand your point but I think it is worth the gamble - how often does a Catcher leave the game due to injury - a few times a season at most. I rather play the odds and take the chance. Say it backfires once in 10 or 15 games. That is 9 - 14 games replacing a Timo or an Ozuna in the lineup - worth the chance when Konerko is out, Everett looks sore, Podsednik and Thomas are on the DL and the Sox could use a bat.

Hey anything to get Timo out the lineup! I just don't think Ozzie's going to do it...