PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Sox break out the bats and snap losing streak thread 8/21

cheeses_h_rice
08-21-2005, 05:26 PM
MAGIC NUMBER = SHRINKING

:cool:

Pasqua's Posers
08-21-2005, 05:26 PM
HELL YES!:bandance:

Unregistered
08-21-2005, 05:27 PM
:winner

It's been far too long since I used that tag.

Most home runs Johnson has ever given up in an inning and in a GAME.

Jndians and Twins win, keep pace... it's time for revenge in Minnesota.

Madvora
I feel like we just won the World Series!

cleanwsox
Good momentum going into MN, lets take 2 there and not have to worry about the Twinks anymore.

SABRSox
Time to go to Minnesota and return the favor...

Kogs35
08-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Finally Mazel tov!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp:

chisoxmike
08-21-2005, 05:29 PM
So all we needed was a future HOFer to help us get out of our slump.:cool:

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Now lets keep it going Sox!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Homeruns... ****ing homeruns...

We need a color for HEAVY sarcasm.

:cool:

NSSoxFan
08-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Gotta give it up to Jose for the great performance today. Man, was it nice to see the offense wake up in a BIG way! The main thing about today was getting pitches to hit. In other words, everyone had an approach to fight at the plate (i.e. foul off junk).

And now for the Twinkies...

soxjim
08-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Now I can eat again. On Friday I said I decided not to eat until SOX won.
Magic number 32:bandance:

ATXBMX
Jose Contreras....2-0, 0.60 ERA against the Yankees

FielderJones

Boy, does it feel good to use that tag again!

However, all our runs came on homers. That's a sure sign of bad things to come. [/dark cloud]

chisoxmike
08-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Jose Contreras....2-0, 0.60 ERA against the Yankees

Jose was THE MAN today. I thought he'd go out there in the 9th. Anyway, he pitched over some huge jams today.

eastchicagosoxfan
Thank God!!!!! The Magic Number is 32. :supernana: :supernana: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

MarySwiss
Well, this sucks!

I'm about to go play volleyball, and I was planning to take out my frustrations on the ball.

Now I don't have any! Woo-HOO!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Domeshot17
08-21-2005, 05:33 PM
WHOOOOOO, Contageous, OZZIE, DONT LET TIMO PLAY EVER AGAIN.

FarWestChicago
08-21-2005, 05:33 PM
:contreras:

I own the Skanks.

mdep524
08-21-2005, 05:34 PM
The HRs were nice, but the two best things from today:

1. Aaron using the opposite field. That was a sweet swing on that HR

2. Contreras!! I know he gave up a lot of hits, but NO walks! Too me he looked even sharper than he did in NY last week. One earned run in 8 innings. Definitely one of his best starts of the season.

Our execution still sucked, and somebody has to give Pablo the "stop" sign on the basepaths... but here's to you Sox! :gulp:

ilsox7
Does this mean people will stop bitching and moaning?

chisoxmike
WHOOOOOO, Contageous, OZZIE, DONT LET TIMO PLAY EVER AGAIN.

What would a gamethread be without a knock on Timo...even when he doesn't play. Just enjoy the win.

ilsox7
08-21-2005, 05:35 PM
:contreras:

I own the Skanks.

Game 1 starter if the Sox play the Yanks in the ALDS?

FarWestChicago
08-21-2005, 05:35 PM
What would a gamethread be without a knock on Timo...even when he doesn't play. Just enjoy the win.Wait for shoota to show up and rip on Crede. :rolleyes:

SluggersAway
08-21-2005, 05:36 PM
If that inning doesn't prove hitting is contagious, I don't know what does.

ilsox7
08-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Wait for shoota to show up and rip on Crede. :rolleyes:

Ah, the beauty of the ignore feature.

Bisco Stu
08-21-2005, 05:37 PM
The losing streak should've surprised NO ONE.

It took the Angels a week to recover from their 18 inning loss to Toronto.

Took us about a half-week.

25 wins to 100, that should clinch the best record in the AL, that's our goal.

Injuns and Twinkies are meaningless.

BanditJimmy
I feel like a fat man dropping 65 pounds with that Win.

I was beggining to worry when Randy was just dealing (like everyone else against us these days) thru the first 3+ innings. Then the approach both Iguchi and Rowand took by going the other way with Randy, that was the best piece of hitting I have seen from this team in the last 2 weeks.

Can we agreee that if no trades will be made, Rowand needs to stick to the 3 hole in this line up?

Everett should hit behind Konenerko.

Frater Perdurabo
Amen and Alleluiah!

:supernana:

The Racehorse
off the 0-7 schnide... off the 0-7 schnide... off the 0-7 schnide... off the 0-7 Freakin' Schnide! :gulp:

YES!!!:supernana:

RallyBowl
I guess this means we don't need junior? (really half teal).

Great game, I new we would win today(see my weeks banishment wager).

Let's kill any hope that the Twins might have left this week.

MarySwiss
08-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Wait for shoota to show up and rip on Crede. :rolleyes:

For what? Not coming into the game sooner? :wink:

FarWestChicago
08-21-2005, 05:39 PM
For what? Not coming into the game sooner? :wink: Well, it may not count as an "official" appearance in a game since it was already pretty much over. :redneck

soxjim
08-21-2005, 05:39 PM
That win puts my niece at 8-0 this season when she is in attendance. Was watching that big inning with my wife who is in the hospital. We both got told to be quiet.:bandance:

ndu3t4
08-21-2005, 05:40 PM
This is great. I can enjoy my Sunday. The only thing that might make this day better is if my school's teachers decide to go on strike. Hopefully, knocking Randy around will give them some confidence against Johan.

Frater Perdurabo
08-21-2005, 05:41 PM
That win puts my niece at 8-0 this season when she is in attendance. Was watching that big inning with my wife who is in the hospital. We both got told to be quiet.:bandance:

Someone buy your niece some more tickets to the remainder of the games! :bandance:

(Hope your wife gets well very soon!)

Jurr
Man..Jose Contreras is going to be HELL for hitters as a bridge guy in the playoffs. He can be absolutely nasty. Good job Sox. I had chills during that big inning. What a game.

chisoxmike
Someone buy your niece some more tickets to the remainder of the games! :bandance:

(Hope your wife gets well very soon!)

Buy her playoff tickets.:D:

Rikirk
That 4rth Inning was a thing of beauty...

Back to back to back to back HR's

Hats off to Gooch, Paulie, Widger and Aaron

It feels good....now go do to the Twins what they did to us.:angry:

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Don'tcha just love wins before off days?

Contreras looks like he could become a "big game" pitcher in the near future if he can put a few more of these together. It was awesome to watch the Unit implode before our very eyes.

Nothing better than kicking some New York kahoonie!!!

BigEdWalsh
08-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Nothing like 4 homers in an inning to break out of a slump. Wow. :D:
This certainly does do wonders for one's general mood.
:supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

Unregistered
08-21-2005, 05:47 PM
That 4rth Inning was a thing of beauty...

Back to back to back to back HR's

Hats off to Gooch, Paulie, Widger and Aaron

It feels good....now go do to the Twins what they did to us.:angry:
Actually "only" 3 in a row. Then two singles. Then the Widger HR. (In case you're scoring at home. :D: )

The Racehorse
:DJ
"I Luuuuuv when we knock around the big eunuch"

:hawk
*swallows hard* ... like I said... with Junior, where we gonna play him?

Fungo
Nice to see the hitters going the other way with the ball and not trying to pull everything. A much needed win, now on to Minnesota.

Hawks best line today...
:hawk
"Randy Johnson with 109 pitches on the afternoon, 105 of which have stayed on the premises."

I thought that was good.

Unregistered
08-21-2005, 05:48 PM
If you don't think it chaps the asses of the Yankees (especially Steinbrenner) that Contreras has shut them down TWICE this year, you're sorely mistaken. :cool:

slobes
08-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Oh man does this feel good.

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Game 1 starter if the Sox play the Yanks in the ALDS?Congratulations. Only 22 posts before someone suggested this.:rolleyes:

Hell, yeah. Buehrle can't win the big game anyway.

ilsox7
08-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Congratulations. Only 22 posts before someone suggested this.:rolleyes:

Hell, yeah. Buehrle can't win the big game anyway.

Not saying it's what I'd do. But if you've listened to Ozzie lately, I certainly would not be surprised.

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Can we stop with the foolishness and dark clouds and get back to normal now?

Oh wait. That IS normal.:redneck

PAPChiSox729
08-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Oh wait. That IS normal.:redneck

I love WSI.

:D:

SluggersAway
08-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Thank the lord for this win, this site was going crazy with the booya-boys theories.

MIgrenade
08-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Hawk sounded confused when Iguchi hit that homerun. It was like he forgot how to call a homer.

SOXfnNlansing
08-21-2005, 06:14 PM
hmm, no response from the ****house king today:gulp: ....... he must have been watching golf on tv and missed the game

tebman
08-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Now I can take my head out of a bag again! I was at a point where I couldn't bear to watch, but they came back big time and now I can lay off the superstitious avoidance.

Great win! And a great time to do it! :gulp:

Palehose13
08-21-2005, 06:19 PM
The losing streak should've surprised NO ONE.

It took the Angels a week to recover from their 18 inning loss to Toronto.

Took us about a half-week.

25 wins to 100, that should clinch the best record in the AL, that's our goal.

Injuns and Twinkies are meaningless.

You should know that common sense isn't allowed around here!

btw...I agree 100% and have to add that the Sox were bound to hit a skid at some point. I'm happy that it happened when they had such a big lead in the division. I was getting a little bored with always winning anyway...

santo=dorf
08-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Hawk sounded confused when Iguchi hit that homerun. It was like he forgot how to call a homer.

All he had to do was watch the Sox play like **** for a week.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Not saying it's what I'd do. But if you've listened to Ozzie lately, I certainly would not be surprised.

Listening to the Twins feed earlier this week (adding insult to injury) they said Ozzie was planning on going with a three man rotation in the playoffs - something I hope he reconsiders. Pitchers perform better on their normal 4 days rest and to push them after 32 starts in the regular season usually results in a poor effort. When Clemens was pushed last year he was not as effective. The last team to win a World Series with a three man rotation in the playoffs / World Series was the Twins in 1991. I don't think we will see another 3 man win the World Series anytime soon.

Hopefully Ozzie will consult with his former boss Jack McKeon regarding the playoffs (once the Marlins are out).

Anyway A great way to break out of their hitting slump - now they are off on the road where outside of Texas (for this 9 game trip) we have done pretty well.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Damn that feels good. I can finally get some good rest for a change. The win was badly needed. Now they do need to make a statement to the Twins, they and Cleveland have been playing well of late including today.

It would be nice to finally beat Santana for a change.

Lip

FielderJones
08-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Thank the lord for this win, this site was going crazy with the booya-boys theories.

Cubune Headline:

Beaver Bench Removed, Sox Homer, Not Home In

:tongue:

buehrle4cy05
08-21-2005, 06:27 PM
This was a great game, not only did JC shut down his former team and make Steinbrenner call Cashman saying "Why the **** did we get rid of him?!", but the offense ripped up Randy Johnson for double-digit hits. Just looking ahead, but we go to Minnesota after an off day tommorow, and we will face:
Johan Santana:angry::angry::angry:
Joe Mays
Carlos Silva

Mays is hittable. Santana is gonna be tough, and Silva is having a good year (8-6, 3.35). We have to get Santana at some point, though...hopefully it will be Tuesday.

Frankfan4life
08-21-2005, 06:30 PM
HELL YES!:bandance:Hey, Pasqua, you called me brother in the game thread. I'm so not a guy. But, I really don't care. Call me anything today. I'm just so happy the Sox finally broke the losing streak.

I almost forgot how much fun winning is. I was screaming so loud during the fourth inning, I didn't care who heard me. A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I can finally relax and enjoy baseball again. The Sox still need to play again like they did today. But, I don't want to dwell on that now. I just want to enjoy reliving the 3-back-to-back homers and the 4-home-run inning. :bandance:

hose
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Good to see Paulie back in the line up.
Contresas goes 8 strong innings with no walks ....whoa!!!

The streak is OVER.:bandance:

santo=dorf
08-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Career vs. Sox:

Santana: 5-4, 4.61 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 81 K's in 70.1 IP
Silva: 2-3, 5.22 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 7 HR in 39.2 IP
Mays: 8-3, 4.08 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 55:32 K:BB in 108 IP

Looks doable to me. :cool:

Letmehearya
08-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Let's quit the magic number talk and just win games. When it closes in on 10, let's talk about it. In the meantime, one game at a time.

slavko
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm still on the ledge, but I'm off the edge of the ledge. This can't be the reason for the streak-breaker, but I saw Ronnie Woo in full uniform on Michigan Ave. last night. If it meant a WS title, I'd look at him every night till we won it.

RadioheadRocks
08-21-2005, 06:58 PM
DoggPhood (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=3439)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif
did you guys hear brian anderson's entry song? it sounded like a really lame 80s light rock song

Wasn't online during the game, so I cut and pasted the above post here. Anyway if it's the same song that they played last Tuesday night for him in his debut, that would be the "Theme from the GREATEST AMERICAN HERO" by one-hit-wonder Joey Scarbury.

"Believe it or not, I'm walking on air..." :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

samram
08-21-2005, 07:01 PM
If you don't think it chaps the asses of the Yankees (especially Steinbrenner) that Contreras has shut them down TWICE this year, you're sorely mistaken. :cool:

Yeah, but Loiaza has stepped right in and become a solid #2 guy for them.:redneck

SouthSide_HitMen
08-21-2005, 07:08 PM
DoggPhood (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=3439)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif
did you guys hear brian anderson's entry song? "Theme from the GREATEST AMERICAN HERO"

I was surprised when I heard it at the park on Wednesday. Here is a link to the show with the song playing in the background - most of you are probably too young to remember the show (the rest probably to embarrassed you watched it :smile: ).

http://www.classic-tv.com/shows/greathero.asp

People are probably more familar with the Seinfeld episode where George used this song on his answering machine

"Believe it or not George isn't at home
Please leave a message at the beep
I must be out or I'd pick up the phone
Where could I be
Believe it or not I'm not home"

SluggersAway
08-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Joey Scarbury

Believe it or Not - theme song for the TV show "Greatest American Hero"

Look at what's happened to me,
I can't believe it myself.
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world,
should have been somebody else.

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer,
Who could it be?
Believe it or not, it's just me.

Looks like the light of a new day,
Hit me from out of the blue.
Breaking me out of the spell I was in,
Making all of my wishes come true.

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer,
Who could it be?

Who could it be?

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 07:09 PM
"Believe it or not, I'm walking on air..." :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:First game in the show? Sounds pretty appropriate to me.

beckett21
08-21-2005, 07:22 PM
First game in the show? Sounds pretty appropriate to me.

That, or the fact that he bears a strong resemblence to the original show's main character.

hose
08-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Sox pitching did not surrender a homer to the Yankees in the 3 games at the Cell. I find this pretty remarkable considering the weather conditions were very favorable for the ball to carry and the Yanks are stacked with power hitters up and down their line up

In the six games against the Bronk Bombers Sox pitching gave up only 2 homers and ARod had both of them.

RadioheadRocks
08-21-2005, 07:27 PM
That, or the fact that he bears a strong resemblence to the original show's main character.

... or CARRIE's prom date! :D:

(They're all gonna LAUGH at you!!!!!)

HebrewHammer
08-21-2005, 07:29 PM
I have been a huge Contreras basher and I have to say, he impressed the hell out of me today. He worked quick, threw strikes and made big pitches when he needed to.

Now, let's slap the Twinkies around and get this season back on track.

SABRSox
08-21-2005, 07:33 PM
I have been a huge Contreras basher and I have to say, he impressed the hell out of me today. He worked quick, threw strikes and made big pitches when he needed to.

Isn't it a fantastic luxury to have 5 solid starting pitchers, and then go to the playoffs and pick the 3 or 4 hottest at the end of the season...

If only our offense worked like that...

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 07:35 PM
That, or the fact that he bears a strong resemblence to the original show's main character.I never watched the show. But I'm pretty sure I've heard that song played for other rookie callups.

I want Mags back
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
https://secure.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/john_sterling.jpg

WHITE SOX WIN
THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH
WHITE SOX WIN

bafiarocks03
08-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Yea We broke the streak cuz i was there!! No, i was walking around in the inning when all the homeruns were hit!! i was so mad! i missed my Widgeinator hit his homerun!!!!!!! but i think it was Konerko's homer, i was in left field and it was sooooooooo loud!! i got goosebumps!! I loved it!!

beckett21
08-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I never watched the show. But I'm pretty sure I've heard that song played for other rookie callups.

I don't doubt it, though I can't recall offhand. He does look like the main character of GAH as well, IMO. Makes it all the more appropriate. :D:

Madvora
08-21-2005, 08:00 PM
I seriously think that I caused all this success today.
I just picked up a new guitar today, came home and opened the case on the floor right in front of the tv, just as I did that - boom - 3 homeruns in a row.

DumpJerry
08-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, I was at all six games on this homestand (stayed until the bitter end of Tuesday's fiasco). That 4th inning today allowed me to toss out my 5,000 pill count bottle of Prozac I got after yesterday's game. It felt soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! For those of you who were there, I was the really loud guy yelling after each of the four homers. I'm sure you heard me.

This was needed, like a cold bottle of water in the desert.:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Lip Man 1
08-21-2005, 08:51 PM
I read somewhere this week it may have been on the White Sox web site, that it was already brought up to Anderson how much he looks like the actor in that show. The story said that's why that theme was being played. By the way the actor's name was William Katt.

Lip

Aggravated Bob
08-21-2005, 08:58 PM
You could have been in the parking lot before Saturday's game and gotten rip roaring drunk.
No food necessary.

Cellview22
08-21-2005, 09:05 PM
For those that were at the game, what was it like with the back-to-back-to-back homeruns and then when Widger hit the 3-run homer? HOw loud did it get, and how wild was the crowd? Wish I had been there! :bandance:

ShoelessJoeS
08-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Now I can finally go to bed happy for the first time in over a week!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

MarySwiss
08-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I was surprised when I heard it at the park on Wednesday. Here is a link to the show with the song playing in the background - most of you are probably too young to remember the show (the rest probably to embarrassed you watched it :smile: ).

http://www.classic-tv.com/shows/greathero.asp

People are probably more familar with the Seinfeld episode where George used this song on his answering machine

"Believe it or not George isn't at home
Please leave a message at the beep
I must be out or I'd pick up the phone
Where could I be
Believe it or not I'm not home"

HEY!
"Believe it or not, I really liked that show
mainly because of Robert Culp
It wasn't "My Mother the Car" you know
Now that was a bad one, gulp."

Paulwny
08-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Damn, missed watching the game due to a nephew's birthday party, anyway, great going El Duque Jr, shut down the evil from the east. I actually expected a yankmee blowout, thank god, Iwas wrong.:D:

Fungo
08-21-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't doubt it, though I can't recall offhand. He does look like the main character of GAH as well, IMO. Makes it all the more appropriate. :D:
From Scott Reifert's blog
Greatest American Hero

Players were dying with laughter last night when Brian Anderson's first plate appearance was greeted with the theme song from "Greatest American Hero." Players claim the resemblance is uncanny.

Rumor has it, Rowand and Konerko put Nancy up to it.

santo=dorf
08-21-2005, 10:13 PM
I read somewhere this week it may have been on the White Sox web site, that it was already brought up to Anderson how much he looks like the actor in that show. The story said that's why that theme was being played. By the way the actor's name was William Katt.

Lip

I always thought he looked like a younger Ron Howard.

http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/ce/oct/rhoward.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/03/30/sVuPdbiN.jpg

Heffalump
08-21-2005, 10:44 PM
I was at the game......Great win by the Sox...........Mrs. Heffalump was with me and she correctly predicted 3 of the four Sox home runs in the fourth innning..........Then again, she also thought Ozuna was pitching for the Sox, so take it for what it is worth.

GO SOX !!!!

DumpJerry
08-21-2005, 11:05 PM
For those that were at the game, what was it like with the back-to-back-to-back homeruns and then when Widger hit the 3-run homer? HOw loud did it get, and how wild was the crowd? Wish I had been there! :bandance:
Well, since we expected it because they were facing The Big Unit and our recent history, we politely applauded after each one and then ordered another bottle of wine after Widger's.

Oh sorry, got mixed up with how that would have been at The Urinal. The place went nuts! I was screaming and shouting on each boomer. Konerko's blast can be best described as a "Frank Thomas Homerun." It almost hit the FUNDamentals deck. This is right up there with AJ's walk-off against the Dodgers, which I also saw. It felt like 1,000 years of carrying a burden was lifted off my shoulders. I could give other descriptions of how it felt and tell you what I was saying when the boomers went out, but that would send this to the ****house and I would get a "vacation" from here........

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Could someone go to my apartment and change my Magic # count on my dry erase board in my office. I'm visiting my boyfriend in the Toronto area and won't be returning for nine days. Thanks in advance! :)

whitesox_1
08-21-2005, 11:31 PM
with the win today we are back.:D: we created some offense, defense worked, and our bullpun didnt blow any thing. hopefully now we will win 7 straight or more to get the cubune of our backs:angry:

:supernana: :bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance: :supernana:

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2005, 11:34 PM
I just had a banana split at DQ tonight in honor of the occasion...

oeo
08-21-2005, 11:43 PM
with the win today we are back.:D: we created some offense, defense worked, and our bullpun didnt blow any thing. hopefully now we will win 7 straight or more to get the cubune of our backs:angry:

:supernana: :bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance: :supernana:

*knock on wood*

SoXPriDe33
08-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Great win today I feel we are back but today was one of those days that reminded me of last season where it was long ball or bust. I'd like to see some games where we manufacture runs like the beginning of the season. But at this point I'll take any win that the Sox get.

Let's put a 7 game win streak together now

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

ChiSoxGirl
08-21-2005, 11:52 PM

Good thing they won today, or you'd be hospitalied for malnutrition within a couple days! :tongue: Hope you enjoyed your first meal after a White Sox Winner! :bandance:

ChiSoxGirl
08-22-2005, 12:05 AM
I almost forgot how much fun winning is. I was screaming so loud during the fourth inning, I didn't care who heard me.

I was outside washing & waxing my car with the game on the radio and each time a homerun was hit in the 4th, my "WOO HOO!" got a little bit louder! If a 5th one was going out, I was grabbing the Sox flag from the front of the house and was going to run up & down the block with it! :tongue: I had a really good feeling about today's game when I got up this morning; don't know why, but at least it came true!

Contreras was unstoppable today! Best part? NO WALKS! He's handicapped his former teammates not once, but twice this season already, which has got to have Steinbrenner's underwear all in a knot! :redneck

We SO needed this win and it couldn't have come at a better time. Enjoy the off day everyone and let's go get 'em up in Minnesota on Tuesday! :bandance:

Jjav829
08-22-2005, 12:22 AM
So I suppose if we lose on Tuesday there will be a thread about how we're falling and we're gonna blow the lead? :?:

Palehose13
08-22-2005, 12:23 AM
So I suppose if we lose on Tuesday there will be a thread about how we're falling and we're gonna blow the lead? :?:

You betcha! :thumbsup:

batmanZoSo
08-22-2005, 12:32 AM
You betcha! :thumbsup:

Yeah, you wanna start it er...should I? :D: :wink:

Jjav829
08-22-2005, 12:36 AM
I only caught a bit of the game, but did anyone hear the email Hawk read about Griffey? He might have read more later, but I only heard this one. This was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. The person emailed about Griffey and reasoned that the Sox shouldn't get Griffey because (and I'm paraphrasing), "I don't recall Griffey ever leading a team to the World Series." This is completely asinine logic. By this logic, the Sox should not suffer from losing Frank because after all, Frank has never led the Sox to a World Series. I felt like throwing something at my TV after hearing Hawk read this.

Hawk, in the future, please try to only read emails from people with functioning brains.

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-22-2005, 12:45 AM
I only caught a bit of the game, but did anyone hear the email Hawk read about Griffey? He might have read more later, but I only heard this one. This was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. The person emailed about Griffey and reasoned that the Sox shouldn't get Griffey because (and I'm paraphrasing), "I don't recall Griffey ever leading a team to the World Series." This is completely asinine logic. By this logic, the Sox should not suffer from losing Frank because after all, Frank has never led the Sox to a World Series. I felt like throwing something at my TV after hearing Hawk read this.

Hawk, in the future, please try to only read emails from people with functioning brains.
Yeah...the same e-mail also mentioned that acquiring Griffey would be a slap in the face to Dye, Podsednik, Rowand, and Everett. :dunno:

Soxzilla
08-22-2005, 01:08 AM

:reinsy
"Ahahaha. Jerry...err uhhh "Ross"...you're a genius! Soon enough these fans will forget all about Griffey with all these negative e-mails I send under fake aliases!"

And yes, I heard the email too Jjav...complete idiocy. The fact that Hawk even brought up this particular message before our huge fourth, shows the gull of this man. I'm no Hawk hater, but you have to be miserably stupid if you think Griffey wouldn't help this club.

voodoochile
08-22-2005, 01:15 AM

Couple of quick thoughts...

Only the 26th time in history that a pitcher has given up 4 HR in an inning (or maybe only 26 pitchers have done it but a couple of them have done it more than once - I am not sure).

First time in his career for RJ to give up back2back2back.

I love small ball...:D:

You think it sucks for the Sox to lose a few games in a row. It causes you angst and pain and doubt... Think about what every single loss does to the Twinkies' and Toons' players...

Dance little dude dance...

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

milrtyme28
08-22-2005, 01:36 AM
this was an incredible game - i will be one of my favorites, one that sticks out. I was sitting in left field and my heart lept when I saw that ball jump off konerkos bat - it looked like it was coming straight to me. awesome win.

BTW - how bad-ass was the B1 bomber flyover before the game!?!? :bandance:

chisox06
08-22-2005, 01:46 AM
Considering we have been winning the vast majority of our games through the long ball, which we were trying to get away from I can't officially say "were back" until we start moving runners along, stealing bases, bunt sacs fly sacs, and other things that have to do with the small ball mentality that gave us so much success throughout the 1st part of the year. Without Pods leading off that type of baseball is going to be tough to do with the consistency that we had before. I'm going to wait and see how we do against the Twinkies before I can be comfortable with this offense again. We had one great inning against the yanks, I think we need to see a consistant offense for 3 games in a row until I can feel like this offense is no longer a liability.

Huisj
08-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Considering we have been winning the vast majority of our games through the long ball, which we were trying to get away from I can't officially say "were back" until we start moving runners along, stealing bases, bunt sacs fly sacs, and other things that have to do with the small ball mentality that gave us so much success throughout the 1st part of the year. Without Pods leading off that type of baseball is going to be tough to do with the consistency that we had before. I'm going to wait and see how we do against the Twinkies before I can be comfortable with this offense again. We had one great inning against the yanks, I think we need to see a consistant offense for 3 games in a row until I can feel like this offense is no longer a liability.

I agree. I'm a little leary that the whole offensive attack today took place over a 6 at-bat span, and before and after those 6 at bats, they did basically nothing. Ok, so Ozuna, got on base a few times, but then he screwed that right up on the basepaths by getting thrown out twice. 6 hits in a row and 8 innings of crap hardly point to immediate consistency. I hope I'm wrong.

Dan H
08-22-2005, 08:17 AM
A big key was Contreras stopping the Yankees when they had first and third and one out in the fifth. It was key to keeping the momentum. The homers were a great thing to watch, but that fifth inning played a large bit in the win. The way I have felt this past week, I will take a one game winning streak any day.

downstairs
08-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I believe San Fran (or maybe Atlanta?) tried to do this a few years ago. I believe the comish told them they have to play, and they did.

If it has no bearing for us (including home field)... we'll just send along the b-squad. I believe rosters are expanded before the end of the season, correct?

TornLabrum
08-22-2005, 08:39 AM
I believe San Fran (or maybe Atlanta?) tried to do this a few years ago. I believe the comish told them they have to play, and they did.

If it has no bearing for us (including home field)... we'll just send along the b-squad. I believe rosters are expanded before the end of the season, correct?

They are expanded to 40 players. Could be an interesting lineup they send to Boston.

MsSoxVixen22
08-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Hello everyone! Let me start off by saying when the Sox lost Fri and Sat I was close to :whiner: I was out with my parents Sun and we happen to get back in the car and turn on the Sox game just before the hit parade started. When the SO started hitting all those homers, let's just say thank God we were at a stop light cos my Dad and I were going nuts! Even my Mom happy! (and if you knew my Mom, you'd be shocked too) I have to tip my hat to JC, for pitching a great game. He really impressed me. Way to go guys on finding their swing and getting some base hits! Let's keep it going and give Minnesota a taste of their own medicine! Hopefully, Pods will be back in the lineup very soon and Gooch should NEVER be out of the lineup. That guy is ****ing awesome and he's got my vote for MVP! I'm glad I can use these now-:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

harwar
08-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I almost forgot how much fun winning is. I was screaming so loud during the fourth inning, I didn't care who heard me. A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I can finally relax and enjoy baseball again.

Too funny.
I did the same in my boat.
Weekends are always so crowded on the lake that i only go out on sundays very early in the morning.
Today however;I just got fed up and went out after the 3rd inning.
I turned the radio on about 5 minutes after i had decided to wash my hands of the whole baseball world and by the 3rd homerun in the bottom of the 4th i was standing up and screaming so loud that someone came over to see if i was ok.
I always tape the game if i'm going to miss it or if i'm at the park but sunday i just didn't think of it.
I'm so bummed that i missed it,but so happy that it happened.
Lets go get them stinkin twins now!!!

samram
08-22-2005, 09:31 AM

No, actually, the Sox are a homerun hitting team. That's how they score and that's how they win. Sure, Pods steals bases, but when the Sox don't hit homers, they don't score a lot because they tend to not string a bunch of runs together. The Sox win with homers and pitching. That's what they got yesterday. I don't know if they're "back," but that was a typical Sox win.

SoxinAZ
08-22-2005, 02:30 PM
They are expanded to 40 players. Could be an interesting lineup they send to Boston.

Yeah but nobody ever expands to 40 because you have to pay the guys league minimum for a month which adds up.

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2005, 02:44 PM
No, actually, the Sox are a homerun hitting team. That's how they score and that's how they win. Sure, Pods steals bases, but when the Sox don't hit homers, they don't score a lot because they tend to not string a bunch of runs together. The Sox win with homers and pitching. That's what they got yesterday. I don't know if they're "back," but that was a typical Sox win.Well, they do hit home runs. They're currently 3rd in the AL with 155. But I wouldn't say necessarily that they're a home run hitting team in the sense that that's their main offensive weapon. The key this year is that they can do both. Home runs are great, but when They're not hitting them, they can manufacture runs other ways. Until the last week, of course, when everything went to hell and they couldn't buy a run.

starboy0
08-22-2005, 09:17 PM

A couple of things. 1) It happened all so fast; 3 consecutive at bats, 3 homeruns. Two more hits, another homerun, now 6 runs have scored. Hardly finished celebrating one shot and then bam! another. As soon as you would sit afterward you would just pop right back up! After Konerko's homerun, the people in my section gave up sitting; there was too much excitement watching our boys attack Johnson like sharks in a feeding frenzy.

2) In a flash, like lightning during a thunderstorm, the worry and frustration of last week was released from the park's collective psyche. After Widger's blast, the roar reminded me of the roar the night we clinched in '83.

During the hubub they kept playing the old white sox cheer song and the whole park was clapping in unison. This was especially sweet because there were some Yankee fans near us (did indeed travel from Brooklyn; not like most of the turncoat Yankee fans in the park) that just watched and seemed to be in awe of how the place was rockin'. When Gooch hit the first homerun one of them ducked instinctively when the fireworks went off; she thought it was a bomb or something!

soxfan1965
08-22-2005, 10:38 PM
In a flash, like lightning during a thunderstorm, the worry and frustration of last week was released from the park's collective psyche. After Widger's blast, the roar reminded me of the roar the night we clinched in '83.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2005-08-22-white-sox-sign2.jpg

samram
08-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Well, they do hit home runs. They're currently 3rd in the AL with 155. But I wouldn't say necessarily that they're a home run hitting team in the sense that that's their main offensive weapon. The key this year is that they can do both. Home runs are great, but when They're not hitting them, they can manufacture runs other ways. Until the last week, of course, when everything went to hell and they couldn't buy a run.

You know, I really want to believe this. I was saying at the beginning of the season that I thought the offense could be more consistent because it was more diverse, but it's really just two guys who manufacture runs. The rest of the guys try, but none of them is a very good situational hitter.

In the playoffs though, if Pods is good, the Sox will be really tough to beat. Iguchi has playoff MVP written all over him, IMO, and that combo at the top of the order would be very tough for opposing pitchers to deal with. However, if Pods isn't on base, and the team is counting on stringing three or more hits together to score, well, the pitching had better be really damn good.

kcsportscaster
08-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Sorry if I'm a day late with my post, but I've been busy with work and other things. FINALLY, THE STREAK IS OVER!!!! FINALLY, SOME OFFENSE AND TIMELY HITTING!!!! BTW, Randy Johnson is finished. Nice job, King George,
LOL!!!!

NOW GO OUT AND CRUSH THE TWINKIES THIS WEEK!!!!

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2005, 11:33 PM
You know, I really want to believe this. I was saying at the beginning of the season that I thought the offense could be more consistent because it was more diverse, but it's really just two guys who manufacture runs. The rest of the guys try, but none of them is a very good situational hitter.

In the playoffs though, if Pods is good, the Sox will be really tough to beat. Iguchi has playoff MVP written all over him, IMO, and that combo at the top of the order would be very tough for opposing pitchers to deal with. However, if Pods isn't on base, and the team is counting on stringing three or more hits together to score, well, the pitching had better be really damn good.I agree that most of the manufacturing has come from the top of the order. The middle has done its job (mostly). But the bottom of the order has been a wasteland. Fortunately, Pods and Iguchi have done their jobs so well that they've been able to carry the small-ball part of the deal.

Keep in mind, though, that in a short playoff series, batting averages don't mean much. In a 7 game series, if a hitter at the bottom of the order gets 4 AB each game, that's only 28 AB. 50 pts in BA amounts to only 1.4 extra hits. One extra seeing eye grounder turns Joe Crede into a .275 hitter.

Troy Glaus was a .250 hitter in the 2002 regular season. He caught fire and hit .385 in the World Series and won the Series MVP. The difference was 3.5 extra hits in his 26 AB.

samram
08-23-2005, 08:53 AM
I agree that most of the manufacturing has come from the top of the order. The middle has done its job (mostly). But the bottom of the order has been a wasteland. Fortunately, Pods and Iguchi have done their jobs so well that they've been able to carry the small-ball part of the deal.

Keep in mind, though, that in a short playoff series, batting averages don't mean much. In a 7 game series, if a hitter at the bottom of the order gets 4 AB each game, that's only 28 AB. 50 pts in BA amounts to only 1.4 extra hits. One extra seeing eye grounder turns Joe Crede into a .275 hitter.

Troy Glaus was a .250 hitter in the 2002 regular season. He caught fire and hit .385 in the World Series and won the Series MVP. The difference was 3.5 extra hits in his 26 AB.

Good points, and believe me, I don't care how the Sox get it done as long as they do. If they hit three homeruns in every game and win 3-2, fine by me. If they manufacture a run in the first and win 1-0, fine by me.