PDA

View Full Version : Durham doesn't like JB trade!


Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 11:27 PM
By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter
July 26, 2001 11:10 PM CDT
CLEVELAND - Five White Sox players got together for a picture last year in the visitors' dugout in Yankee Stadium, a snapshot of the last remaining players from the 1996 season.

Frank Thomas and Bill Simas are on the disabled list for the rest of this season , while Mike Sirotka and James Baldwin have been traded.

"I'm the last one left," Ray Durham told Royce Clayton before Thursday's game.

Durham, visibly upset by the Baldwin trade, wondered whether it meant management had conceded they could not win in 2001.

"I guess not," Durham said. "I don't consider us out of the running, but if you lose one of your horses, it brings up those thoughts. It's not as drastic as [the white flag trade in] '97, but it's the same feeling, like we couldn't win."

Durham says he thinks Baldwin's value as a clubhouse leader was unappreciated.

"I think he meant a lot to the young guys," Durham said. "But I guess that doesn't matter nowadays."


The other side: Other Sox players looked at Thursday's trade as an opportunity for Baldwin to sparkle with the Dodgers and get the multiyear contract he wants.

"It's sad in a way, but you've got to look at it for him," Sean Lowe said. "He's going to be a free agent and the sky is the limit. He's got to take advantage of the opportunity, go over and pitch well for them and pick and choose. He should fit right in and be a leader over there. He's got it in him. He keeps it loose.

"I know Jerry [Manuel] has gone to him over the years whenever there were internal problems with the players—they wanted him to relate stuff to players. We're going to miss that part."

Lowe said the Sox players saw Baldwin's departure as "inevitable" because of his contract situation.

"He was the only guy in that situation," Lowe said. "He's felt it from the start of the season. We still have a shot, but there is a deadline."

Baldwin believed he wasn't going to get a long-term deal from the Sox because Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf views them as risky.

"The only long-term deal I've seen here is Jaime Navarro," Baldwin said. "They let a lot of people go, like Jack McDowell. Everyone was offered a one-year contract. I knew it was just a matter of time. I knew what was going on [last winter]. I didn't know how they were going to do it or when they were going to do it, but now it's a done deal."

Baldwin had been rumored to be on the trading block since May, so it wasn't much of a shock.

"I was just tired of people talking about it. It's a business," Baldwin said. "Now that it's behind me, I just have to go out and have fun and pitch and win ballgames."


Sox files: The Sox called up Josh Fogg to take Baldwin's roster spot, but it was only for an emergency situation. Fogg was sent back to Triple-A Charlotte afterward, and Birmingham right-hander Danny Wright was called up.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-26-2001, 11:43 PM
I think every Sox fan feels not quite right without JB in the rotation for the Chi Sox, but this WAS the logical thing to do I think. I do , however think that if it was a salary dump ( that's my suspicion ) then they would have been better served getting rid of Royce or Sandy.

:hitless "My defensive skills might get you a pizza & 2 beers"

:sandy "HAH I got that beat, I am worth a box of used baseballs!!"

:KW "Hmmn I was just thinking about how hungry I was"