PDA

View Full Version : Soriano to Twins?

UofCSoxFan
08-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Porbably a non-issue here since Texas won't let him go for nothing, and the Twins are probably just blocking other teams, but the Twins have put a claim on Soriano, meaning he will either stay with Texas or be a Twin.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-twinssorianoclaimedo&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Unregistered
08-21-2005, 04:43 PM
According to the MLB article:

The report states the Twins claimed Soriano to block a trade to another team and the clubs do not expect to make a deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050821&content_id=1178814&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Porbably a non-issue here since Texas won't let him go for nothing, and the Twins are probably just blocking other teams, but the Twins have put a claim on Soriano, meaning he will either stay with Texas or be a Twin.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-twinssorianoclaimedo&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Dont know if this affects us, i mean, sox didnt have an interest in him i guess but it does prevent us from seeing soriano on a playoff team then if he's stuck in texas.

Dont know why they'd do this either, i mean, other than a block for the sox, how would the twins benefit by doin this?

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Dont know if this affects us, i mean, sox didnt have an interest in him i guess but it does prevent us from seeing soriano on a playoff team then if he's stuck in texas.

Dont know why they'd do this either, i mean, other than a block for the sox, how would the twins benefit by doin this?Have you seen what they've been using at 2B this year?

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Have you seen what they've been using at 2B this year?

But if the twins have no interest and just blocking, how does this benefit them to just block any trade. Its kinda like a fat guy being a jerk and not movin out of the way of a hallway

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 06:06 PM
But if the twins have no interest and just blocking, how does this benefit them to just block any trade. Its kinda like a fat guy being a jerk and not movin out of the way of a hallwayWho says they're just blocking? That sounds like someone's interpretation. They might want Soriano, and given what they've had there this season, it's not hard to understand.

samram
08-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Who says they're just blocking? That sounds like someone's interpretation. They might want Soriano, and given what they've had there this season, it's not hard to understand.

I guess I can understand their interest. Rivas and company have been awful. What's Soriano's deal look like? He's got to be making around $8 million this year and more next. They just signed Radke and Santana this past offseason, and I think they signed Hunter and Stewart within the last two years or so. Nathan has to be arbitration eligible, which will cost them a good amount, as well. I just wonder how a commitment they're willing to make when they have to have a lot of things happen to just get the wild card.

Ventura Fan 23
08-21-2005, 06:32 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050821&content_id=1178814&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Doesn't worry me, but this could mean a tougher time fighting them off next year...

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 06:50 PM
I guess I can understand their interest. Rivas and company have been awful. What's Soriano's deal look like? He's got to be making around $8 million this year and more next. They just signed Radke and Santana this past offseason, and I think they signed Hunter and Stewart within the last two years or so. Nathan has to be arbitration eligible, which will cost them a good amount, as well. I just wonder how a commitment they're willing to make when they have to have a lot of things happen to just get the wild card.They have to be thinking about next year. They need offense badly. The only way they could do this deal is to send an equivalent contract back to Texas. And I think the only one the Rangers would want would be a pitcher.

I can't imagine how the author of this article came to the conclusion that they're blocking. There are only 6 teams in the AL behind the Twins in waiver claim order, and all have 2B. Who are they blocking?:?:

Rikans
08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
I know Joe Mays makes about $8 million and he cleared waivers but i somehow doubt the rangers would make that trade.

LincolnSquareOz
08-21-2005, 08:46 PM
I guess I can understand their interest. Rivas and company have been awful. What's Soriano's deal look like? He's got to be making around $8 million this year and more next. They just signed Radke and Santana this past offseason, and I think they signed Hunter and Stewart within the last two years or so. Nathan has to be arbitration eligible, which will cost them a good amount, as well. I just wonder how a commitment they're willing to make when they have to have a lot of things happen to just get the wild card.

Terry Ryan was giving out two year deals like candy this past offseason, including one for Nathan. That being said, even w/ Mays $8MM coming off the books this offseason, they don't have the money for Soriano. This just smells like a little gamesmanship on their part.

I am sure the Rangers would deal Soriano if it meant acquiring LHP Francisco Liriano. Terry Ryan is unlikely to deal this kid given that he could be the next Felix Hernandez.

Domeshot17
08-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Twins have a lot to gain. Lets say that the trade was to Oakland or the Yankees. They are just a few back of them for the Wild Card, so in this case, They either get Soriano, or prevent a competitor from getting him. So it's win win, just another part of the poker game of waiver deals

JermaineDye05
08-21-2005, 10:11 PM
what are your thoughts if it's true

JermaineDye05
08-21-2005, 10:14 PM
nevermind, I'm sorry, I just found out it was just to block a trade and they don't tend to make a trade so you can delete this thread

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 10:18 PM
nevermind, I'm sorry, I just found out it was just to block a trade and they don't tend to make a trade so you can delete this threadThere's a thread about this in Talking baseball. And who, exactly, are they blocking?:?:

ilsox7
08-21-2005, 10:21 PM
There's a thread about this in Talking baseball. And who, exactly, are they blocking?:?:

According to Bruuuuuce Levineline, the Sox. He said they had interest. I don't see it.

JermaineDye05
08-21-2005, 10:23 PM
well I guess he would have been a good back up for Tad considering he's not used to playing this many games, he would have been some nice insurance but can't do anything about it now, might as well go after someone else

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 10:23 PM
According to Bruuuuuce Levineline, the Sox. He said they had interest. I don't see it.Maybe he thinks they're going to spin him to the Brewers for Wes Helms.

Flight #24
08-21-2005, 10:43 PM
According to Bruuuuuce Levineline, the Sox. He said they had interest. I don't see it.

Many teams have wanted Soriano to play the OF. Or maybe the Sox thought he could DH. Whatever, they were going to find a way to get his bat into the lineup, and I can guaranteed you it wasn't going to be at the expense of Iguchi in the field.

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Ryan Baker just reported this on NBC 5's "Sports Sunday." Further details forthcoming, I presume.

beckett21
08-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Hate to burst your bubble....this isn't exactly *breaking news*....it's already broke. :smile:

DumpJerry
08-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Apparently it was to block a trade. Check the other threads on this topic.
BTW, Baker showed his deep knowlege of baseball with his "White Sox Nation" comment and cheerleading the fact that the Flubs are not eliminated.

Soxzilla
08-22-2005, 12:04 AM
If the Twins blocked Soriano coming HERE. They probably helped us more than hurt us.

We don't need a player like SORIANO.

SABRSox
08-22-2005, 01:53 AM

If it was the White Sox, and the Twins knew about it, I think Kenny was playin' a little bit with the heads of his competitors. He doesn't really make sense for this team. I suspect Kenny may have been causing a diversion if true, flying under the radar for his real prize...

Tekijawa
08-22-2005, 09:18 AM
If it was the White Sox, and the Twins knew about it, I think Kenny was playin' a little bit with the heads of his competitors. He doesn't really make sense for this team. I suspect Kenny may have been causing a diversion if true, flying under the radar for his real prize...

Yes because a guy with 30 HR batting 280 and who can also steal is exactly what we don't need why? The Balance on his remaing 7.5 million wouldn't be a stretch either... I'd like him at DH better than I like Carl!

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes because a guy with 30 HR batting 280 and who can also steal is exactly what we don't need why? The Balance on his remaing 7.5 million wouldn't be a stretch either... I'd like him at DH better than I like Carl!Maybe because he's a free-swinging, SO-prone Corey Patterson clone. Without the defensive ability. No thanks.

soxnfargo
08-22-2005, 09:03 PM
liability if he's DH'n. And you say he's a free swingin type? Have you seen Uribe, Crede, Timo, or Harris bat this year? I like his ability to "free swing" and connect better then any of the free swingers that we have on the team right now..

If we could(could have now) get our hands Soriano, it would be a no brainer to snatch him up..

Compare the numbers of Everett and Soriano, and you tell me who you would want DH'n.

Nothing against Everett, because he's been one of the sparks this year, but I'd take Soriano at this point in their careers.

Chicago83
08-23-2005, 02:13 AM
liability if he's DH'n. And you say he's a free swingin type? Have you seen Uribe, Crede, Timo, or Harris bat this year? I like his ability to "free swing" and connect better then any of the free swingers that we have on the team right now..

If we could(could have now) get our hands Soriano, it would be a no brainer to snatch him up..

Compare the numbers of Everett and Soriano, and you tell me who you would want DH'n.

Nothing against Everett, because he's been one of the sparks this year, but I'd take Soriano at this point in their careers.

Don't forget about his speed. He's got 18 SB's this year on a team that never runs.

Unregistered
08-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Minnesota claimed Soriano on special revocable waivers last week, and the Rangers had until Monday afternoon to decide whether to trade him, allow the Twins to pick up his contract or to revoke waivers and retain Soriano's rights. The Rangers chose to retain him.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/082305dnsporangbriefs.9c3d95ed.html