PDA

View Full Version : What's on 2nd?

CallMeNuts
08-21-2005, 08:27 AM
From "Who's on 1st": http://www.phoenix5.org/humor/WhoOnFirstTEXT.html

Costello: All I'm trying to find out is what's the guys name on first base.
Abbott: No. What is on second base

Costello: I said I don't give a darn!
Abbott: Oh, that's our shortstop

With yesterday's performance at the plate, we didn't have a chance. But the malaise wasn't only on offense. What I'd like to know: On the double play ball back to Hernandez in the 4th inning, who should have been covering second? Isn't that ususally the shortstop's play, since his momentum is naturally carrying him toward first? It sure looked like neither Uribe nor Igucci knew.

oldcomiskey
08-21-2005, 08:40 AM
I believe they usually signal each other somehow

ArkanSox
08-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Normally with a right hand batter up, it would be Iguchi who was there awaiting the throw. It looked like Uribe made a late break for the bag, confusing Hernandez who tentatively tossed the ball between them. All in all a very bad play, not customary for this Sox team known for their defense. They're sposed to communicate coverage before the pitch. After the game, Hernandez admitted that he didn't know who was covering. I'm not sure if anyone did. Oh well, let's go get 'em today.

Paulwny
08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Not smart ball--poor communication.

Even with a dp possibility the sox infield plays Sheffield to pull, Uribe was playing more toward the hole. The throw should have been to Iguchi, but with Uribe coming into the picture El Duque wasn't sure and his throw was between them.

Time to wake up and do the little things.