PDA

View Full Version : "The Truth About [the other] Pudge"

cheeses_h_rice
08-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Pretty interesting and revealing article (http://www.detroitsportsrag.com/articles/mossism081805.html) about some deep divisions within the Tigers organization.

I also found this little quote concerning Maggs to be quite special:

Not only does Pudge want out of Detroit BADLY, the Tigers other last chance freeway signing, Magglio Ordonez wants out of the "D" as well. He has been overheard stating that he only signed here to prove his Austrian physician repaired knee was A-OK and now wants to go to a winning team. Or at the very least an organization that has had a winning season in the last dozen years.

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Shocking. I hope both of those greedy players rot on Detroit. Rodriguez left the world series champs to go to the team with the worst record in baseball because of greed, he deserves to lose. Same goes for Magglio.

PushnThaEscalade
08-20-2005, 07:18 PM
As much respect as i have for Magglio, He should have never signed there. If they ever had some decent pitching, they would be able to at least contend.

Over By There
08-20-2005, 07:26 PM
I feel so sorry for Maggs.

PushnThaEscalade
08-20-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm in the minority here, but i still like Magglio. He is still a good player, and he made Sox fans happy for 6 years. No matter how he left, he never dissed the fans, and for that he's still good in my book.

munchman33
08-20-2005, 07:37 PM
No matter how he left, he never dissed the fans, and for that he's still good in my book.

I don't know what you consider dissing, but I consider lying to the fans a huge diss.

PushnThaEscalade
08-20-2005, 07:43 PM
i think he did what any of us would have done, took the money and ran.

Viva Medias B's
08-20-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't know what you consider dissing, but I consider lying to the fans a huge diss.

We want Magglio back, despite our hitting troubles and seven game losing streak (please, God, make it end!!!), as much as Northwestern wants Gary Barnett back.

munchman33
08-20-2005, 08:36 PM
i think he did what any of us would have done, took the money and ran.

So did so many others. I'm less concerned with the why and more concerned with the how.

samram
08-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Not only does Pudge want out of Detroit BADLY, the Tigers other last chance freeway signing, Magglio Ordonez wants out of the "D" as well. He has been overheard stating that he only signed here to prove his Austrian physician repaired knee was A-OK and now wants to go to a winning team. Or at the very least an organization that has had a winning season in the last dozen years.

Well, if that's true, then Maggs is a complete idiot. If he really wanted to just prove he was healthy, he could have worked out for the numerous teams that would have taken a look at him. Or he could have signed a one-year deal just to show he was fine, and then gone out and signed for big guaranteed money after the season. Instead he signed a seven-year deal with a team he doesn't want to play for. Attaboy, Maggs- the only way you're leaving Detroit is for the out clause to kick in, which means you'll be hurt and no one will want you.

Either Maggs just started whining after he found he didn't like Detroit or he got played by Boras.

slavko
08-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Well, if that's true, then Maggs is a complete idiot.

Don't worry about it being true, because it isn't. He's just rationalizing the act of signing with a bad team for more money. He has a history of saying anything he needs to after the fact to justify his actions. Wasn't one of Boras's selling points to the Tigers that they needed to pay more for Maggs since they weren't a big "destination" team?

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2005, 02:09 AM
i think he did what any of us would have done, took the money and ran.Speak for yourself. I've never been money motivated. If I were, there is no way I'd be a professor at a state university. Change "any of us" to "many of us" and I'll agree with you, but just when is enough enough, when it comes to money?

When you're already making more money than you can possibly spend in a lifetime, couldn't you maybe just give a little thought to being a decent human being?

PushnThaEscalade
08-21-2005, 06:21 AM
I'm not money motivated, unless its a big amount. I would take the money and still work my dream job, which ironically would be a HS teacher. :D:

Mohoney
08-21-2005, 07:19 AM
Change "any of us" to "many of us" and I'll agree with you, but just when is enough enough, when it comes to money?

I guess it depends on how many extended family members and lifelong friends he feels he has to provide for. That's what I would be thinking about if I was in a profession where my potential yearly income can support far more people than just my immediate family.

Or he very well could be just plain greedy and is keeping all the money himself, but I remember him doing some generous things in the past like buying all new equipment for that Venezuelan Little League team.

Or, as somebody speculated earlier, maybe Boras fed him a line and fished him in, putting his interests above those of his client.

TornLabrum
08-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Speak for yourself. I've never been money motivated. If I were, there is no way I'd be a professor at a state university. Change "any of us" to "many of us" and I'll agree with you, but just when is enough enough, when it comes to money?

When you're already making more money than you can possibly spend in a lifetime, couldn't you maybe just give a little thought to being a decent human being?

You mean like the guys who ran corporations like Enron, Worldcom, and Tyco?

Let me ask you this: A university wants to hire you and offers you a substantially higher salary than you are making now. Do you take the job?

I've changed teaching jobs more than once for the money.

SOXSINCE'70
08-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Cry me a river,looooo-sahs.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Actually,my fellings are more:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: .

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2005, 10:59 AM

Let me ask you this: A university wants to hire you and offers you a substantially higher salary than you are making now. Do you take the job?

I've changed teaching jobs more than once for the money.I could have stayed where I was, doing a job I liked just fine, and I'd be making twice what I make now. I would need to know a lot more about the other university than just how much money they are offering.

I was just objecting to the statement that "any of us" would have taken the money, even if already making more money than you can possibly spend. That's not just improving your situation, that's greed.

jdm2662
08-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Boo freaking hoo. You signed the contract with your teams, deal with it.

bluestar
08-22-2005, 11:45 AM

But I think it is different when you are talking about someone making, say, $50,000/year accepting a job where they make $80,000 and someone making $14 million dollars a year switching teams because they agree to pay him another $2 million a year. In the latter case, it isn't so much the difference the money can make in their lives as it is an ego thing.

Huisj
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Funny thing is, the Tigers aren't really all that far away from being a pretty decent team. They've traded away their two biggest bullpen arms (Urbina, Farnsworth) and another is hurt and has missed most of the year (Percival), the didn't have their big hitting right fielder for three months, and their big hitting shortstop has missed some time and is out again (Guillen) . . . and they're still just a few games under .500.

There are some who want Trammel fired, but I have to say that he's actually done a pretty good job with that team. Considering 2 years ago they had absolutely nothing and lost almost 120 games, and now they are almost .500 while missing half the players they were counting on this year, he seems to be doing an ok job.

pudge
08-22-2005, 01:20 PM

Does that school happen to be in a crap-hole city with awful students and a lousy teaching staff? Now are you still gonna take the pay raise? I wouldn't.

PennStater98r
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Anyone else think this smells curiously like Boras?

TornLabrum
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Does that school happen to be in a crap-hole city with awful students and a lousy teaching staff? Now are you still gonna take the pay raise? I wouldn't.

How about if you're told that the reason you're being hired is to improve the quality of your department by making the standards a bit tougher than they had been in the past?

steff
08-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Anyone else think this smells curiously like Boras?

More like bull crap.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-22-2005, 07:30 PM

it takes a lot to be a decent human being

SouthSide_HitMen
08-22-2005, 08:13 PM
But I think it is different when you are talking about someone making, say, $50,000/year accepting a job where they make $80,000 and someone making $14 million dollars a year switching teams because they agree to pay him another $2 million a year. In the latter case, it isn't so much the difference the money can make in their lives as it is an ego thing.

Well after Taxes (35% Federal, 4% Michigan, Detroit 1.25%, FICA 1.5%) and Boras (4%) you are down to just $6.5 mil.

What I am trying to say is - That is a lot of money. For 1 season. He is signed for $15 mil in 2006 and $12, 15 & 18 mil (in 2007 - 2009) plus $18 mil guaranteed in 2010 with more team option years after.

If he didn't care where he was going, which many players don't care (as well as owners who will move their team for more money), then nobody would (or should) top this deal - Boras did his job.

If he wanted to stay in Chicago / play for a winner, etc. than he may have signed the wrong deal. Sometimes the agents and players union do not do what is in the clients best interest - there are more important things than a 10 or 15% raise (even for us working stiffs) - which I do not think are factored in some of these deals where pressure is coming from everyone to take the most money when that is not always what is important.

pczarapa
08-22-2005, 08:31 PM
I feel so sorry for Maggs.

Yeah, me too - be gone with him!

I want Mags back
08-22-2005, 09:50 PM
We want Magglio back

Ha thats funny. I dont even want him back.

**** you Fa*glio

tstrike2000
08-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Funny thing is, the Tigers aren't really all that far away from being a pretty decent team. They've traded away their two biggest bullpen arms (Urbina, Farnsworth) and another is hurt and has missed most of the year (Percival), the didn't have their big hitting right fielder for three months, and their big hitting shortstop has missed some time and is out again (Guillen) . . . and they're still just a few games under .500.

There are some who want Trammel fired, but I have to say that he's actually done a pretty good job with that team. Considering 2 years ago they had absolutely nothing and lost almost 120 games, and now they are almost .500 while missing half the players they were counting on this year, he seems to be doing an ok job.

You're right. Bonderman and Robertson are turning into good 1,2 starters and have played relatively well despite some injury problems and zero bullpen. I hope IRod and Maggs get traded to teams that tank even worse and then Detroit ends up finishing 2nd to the Sox in the division.

VenturaSoxFan23
08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
The team was crap 2 years ago. You had more talent coaching than playing.

Give Maggs some credit, he could have signed with the Cubs for more, but they were channelling Hawk: "Where's he gonna play?"