PDA

View Full Version : Sox retain 9 game lead from ASB, Fans suicidal

SouthSide_HitMen
08-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I think the White Sox hitters can use more patience at the plate.

I also think White Sox fans need to chill a bit and look at the big picture. The Sox have played 5 + weeks since the All Star Break, still have the same 9 game lead in the division after playing their toughest part of the schedule with several starters hurt and or out.

So the next dark cloud post you see point it out and get it out of here - You don't live in Cleveland you live in Chicago.

Infallible
08-20-2005, 06:21 PM
I think I'm going to go blow my head off after that last performance......2 runs in the last 36 innings.....*click click*....

Pasqua's Posers
08-20-2005, 06:24 PM
i've needed to be talked off of the ledge twice in the last week. WE. HAVE. TO. WIN. TOMORROW.:angry:

Ol' No. 2
08-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Let's keep things in perspective. The Cubs are far closer to winning the wild card than the Indians are to overtaking the Sox. Nine games is still a pretty big lead with 42 games left. You'd think no one had ever seen a team in a slump before. All teams go through slumps, and I've yet to see one look good doing it. They're better than this. They'll snap out of it and by mid-September it will all be forgotten.

Brian26
08-20-2005, 06:54 PM
They're better than this. They'll snap out of it and by mid-September it will all be forgotten.

I hope you're correct, 2.

Ol' No. 2
08-20-2005, 06:57 PM
I hope you're correct, 2.They were pretty outstanding for 110 games. They've sucked for 10. The weight of evidence says I am.

cheeses_h_rice
08-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Let's keep things in perspective. The Cubs are far closer to winning the wild card than the Indians are to overtaking the Sox. Nine games is still a pretty big lead with 42 games left. You'd think no one had ever seen a team in a slump before. All teams go through slumps, and I've yet to see one look good doing it. They're better than this. They'll snap out of it and by mid-September it will all be forgotten.

It seems that this team is one big hit -- a 3-run home run or something -- away from shaking off the malaise and playing like they're capable of playing. Iguchi looked good today, for one, and I thought Everett had a ground rule double in the first, so they're close.

Ol' No. 2
08-20-2005, 07:05 PM
It seems that this team is one big hit -- a 3-run home run or something -- away from shaking off the malaise and playing like they're capable of playing. Iguchi looked good today, for one, and I thought Everett had a ground rule double in the first, so they're close.http://www.markgrace.com/gracephotos/gracestudio1.jpg What they need is a "slumpbuster".

SoxSpeed22
08-20-2005, 07:08 PM
This calls for a fight with the Twins on Monday. (Teal or no teal, that's for you to decide)

Whitesoxtom
08-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Olenumber2,

I hope you are right, and I am trying very hard to have that kind of attitude. This has been a tough week and the rain out against Boston makes it even tougher.

I hope we get things on track soon, it's been a great ride so far.

MarySwiss
08-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Omigod, I so love the the positive tone on this thread! Especially considering the recent slump.

Let's get 'em tomorrow and go from there!

chisoxmike
08-20-2005, 07:20 PM
:threadrules:

:hawk
"9 game lead... YEEEEEES!"

SouthSide_HitMen
08-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Omigod, I so love the the positive tone on this thread! Especially considering the recent slump.

Let's get 'em tomorrow and go from there!

Yes - That is why I put up this thread. If someone would have said at the All Star Break would you want your 9 game lead 5 weeks later I think most people would have said yes. I know this is a bad stretch but the season is a long one and every team goes through this type of stretch at somepoint where nothing seems to go right. We are still getting good pitching and our defense outside of a few bonehead plays remains baseball's best. Our hitting is in a slump but I think we will get out of it very soon - possibly tomorrow or sometime next week.

Konerko should return tomorrow / Tuesday and Podsednik will be on a rehab assignment next weekend. We have just finished our toughest stretch and we did lose a couple games since but we are where we were 5 weeks ago which is in first 9 games up with now only 6 weeks remaining which is a very good place to be.

Go White Sox!!!!

soxjim
08-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Now that I had time to cool down and relax a bit the Sox did show more patience at the plate today. The bottom line though is wins.

JB98
08-20-2005, 07:51 PM
It seems that this team is one big hit -- a 3-run home run or something -- away from shaking off the malaise and playing like they're capable of playing. Iguchi looked good today, for one, and I thought Everett had a ground rule double in the first, so they're close.

Cheeses, you are right. We are one big hit away. I said that to my buddy two or three times at the game today. We had three innings with two men on base and a couple others with a man at second and no outs. We just couldn't get the one hit we needed to break the tension and take the pressure off. When that one hit comes, the floodgates just might open.

Someone needs to step forward, be a leader and get that hit. I hope we have a situation tomorrow where Iguchi comes up with RISP. He'll get it done. Mark my words.

NSSoxFan
08-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Thank you thread starter!

I remember a time at WSI when there would be hard times we talked about ways this team can improve instead of zealous posters claiming 'I told you so!'. This afternoon I took a drive and listened to the end of the game. While I was down about the game and our losing streak, I couldn't help but think about the lead we STILL have after all this.

2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. All years that a 9 game lead on August 20th would send Sox fans into a positive frenzy.

To all the Dark Clouds/Toldyouso's: you are lunatics.

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

SOXandILLINI
08-20-2005, 08:02 PM
that persons nickname is junior

PushnThaEscalade
08-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Calm down people. :cool: it's a 9 game lead. I'll start to worry when we're looking up at the Jndjans.

Now you know that's about to happen..yes siree!

Craig Grebeck
08-20-2005, 08:16 PM
http://www.markgrace.com/gracephotos/gracestudio1.jpg What they need is a "slumpbuster".

Salt blocks! Stat!

Tragg
08-20-2005, 08:18 PM
We have lost more than 1/3 of our lead in a week and are playing horrible baseball, so some concern is warranted.
Thank goodness for that 4 game sweep at Cleveland just after the all star break.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-20-2005, 08:25 PM
http://www.markgrace.com/gracephotos/gracestudio1.jpg
What they need is a "slumpbuster".

Hey, maybe the chick spying bench is the solution to our problems!

:wink:

gehrtsox7
08-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Its great that were in first place by 9,, and yes they will get out of this slump, but we need a WIN big time! They need to pound on Randy Johnson tomorrow to help the ol confidence. I cant wait for Podsednik to get back.

PAPChiSox729
08-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Its great that were in first place by 9,, and yes they will get out of this slump, but we need a WIN big time! They need to pound on Randy Johnson tomorrow to help the ol confidence. I cant wait for Podsednik to get back.

I think that is about what most of us are thinking. A good ol' pounding of RJ would be an awesome sight to see.

JUribe1989
08-20-2005, 09:52 PM
This team will bounce back. Remember last year when we went on a 7 game losing streak and the entire team was in a slump, and then they won 6 out of the next 11 which we would take right now. Konerko being back will be huge, and I assume he will be back soon. And just wait until Podsednik is back, that will be a great day. He will make an immediate impact. And some of you should just do what I'm doing. Don't watch until they win, that way it doesn't seem like they ever lost. :D: On a dark cloudish note, Crede is this years offensive Valentin except he isn't clutch at all.

gehrtsox7
08-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Man, somethings gotta give, my mlb package directv didnt play the game today because the FOX game was Angels vs Red Sox,, so I had to sit at Whitesox.com and watch the screen as the score gets updated, and there is nothing worse than seeing an inning collapse where all of a sudden the Yankees have 4 runs in an inning and I dont know what's really going on in the actual game,, plus I have dial up internet, so its slow as hell.

chisoxmike
08-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Now 8.5:o:

CHISOXFAN13
08-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Now 8.5:o:

Still 10 in the all important loss column, though.

This thread has actually made me feel better. It's nice to read well written posts about the sox breaking the slump. We just need one win and it will steamroll from there.

slavko
08-20-2005, 11:46 PM
No team that's worth anything could lose a 8-1/2 game lead in August, could they?

DumpJerry
08-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Ok, all season while we were kickin' butt we kept saying there would be a slide or slump. Here it is and thank goodness it's now and not late September/early October.

Now, what would I do if I were Ozzie? If we lose tomorrow, I would close the clubhouse door, hold up a bat and announce "this is a baseball bat" and then proceed to destroy a piece of furniture with it as an example of how it is used.

That should get the message across.

BeviBall!
08-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Well, the fact that we have the same lead as that at the all-star break is OK... but the fact we've lost 6.5 games off our biggest lead in 2.5 weeks is sickening. Couple that with the fact the Cleveland's schedule the rest of the way is a flat out joke... there is plenty of room for concern.

We have to start beating up the Central again because we're all out of Tampa Bay's.

BeviBall!
08-21-2005, 12:19 AM
still have the same 9 game lead in the division after playing their toughest part of the schedule with several starters hurt and or out.

Not to rain on this much needed parade... but we still have 1 more with New York, 3 with the Twins and 4 at Texas. This stretch ain't over yet.

We really are one big inning away from ending this funk. I look to PK to give us that tomorrow.

PAPChiSox729
08-21-2005, 12:22 AM
We really are one big inning away from ending this funk. I look to PK to give us that tomorrow.

I am leaning towards a costly A-Rod error. But I'll take it however I can get it.
:D:

Iguana775
08-21-2005, 12:26 AM

I'm sorry, but *** does the cubs have to do with the Sox and the AL Central?

ChiSoxGirl
08-21-2005, 12:28 AM
i've needed to be talked off of the ledge twice in the last week. WE. HAVE. TO. WIN. TOMORROW.:angry:

I'm with you and have been on the ledge myself this week! You said it best, my friend! :smile:

Schmedly
08-21-2005, 02:06 AM
I think the White Sox hitters can use more patience at the plate.

I also think White Sox fans need to chill a bit and look at the big picture. The Sox have played 5 + weeks since the All Star Break, still have the same 9 game lead in the division after playing their toughest part of the schedule with several starters hurt and or out.

So the next dark cloud post you see point it out and get it out of here - You don't live in Cleveland you live in Chicago.
...you took away some of the pain.

chisox06
08-21-2005, 02:18 AM
To all the Dark Clouds/Toldyouso's: you are lunatics.

I wouldn't call them lunatics, just a little spoiled. The Sox have played some great baseball over the year, but this past week has been terrible. When you see a team that has consistently won over the year and then lose 7 in a row it is a little unnerving. But since this thread is about keeping things in perspective, lets keep it that way. DESPITE losing 7 in a row we STILL have a 9 game lead. Put it this way, if you told me that on Aug. 20th we would have a 9 game lead in the division I would be doing cartwheels (and I cant do cartwheels). It happens every year, hitting/pitching blows hot and cold, and the sox are ice cold without there leadoff man in the lineup. Every team has a slump, and were going through the sox biggest slump of the year. Up until now this team didn't lose 4 in a row, only a very good team can do that for that long period of time, and thats what the sox are.

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2005, 02:18 AM
It seems that this team is one big hit -- a 3-run home run or something .Oh, please, don't let it be a three-run homer. I'm serious. Getting homer happy is what got the team into this funk in the first place. The big hit needs to be a double into the gap, or a drag bunt for a base hit, or a suicide squeeze, anything to get them back to being able to win without the three-run homer.

Now, what would I do if I were Ozzie? If we lose tomorrow, I would close the clubhouse door, hold up a bat and announce "this is a baseball bat" and then proceed to destroy a piece of furniture with it as an example of how it is used.I thought Ozzie missed a chance today to go absolutely nuts when the first base umpire brutally missed El Duque's foot drag over first. The time for Ozzie to get tossed from a game was right then. The only people out there today who looked like they cared were El Duque and AJ.

itsnotrequired
08-21-2005, 02:52 AM
Oh, please, don't let it be a three-run homer. I'm serious. Getting homer happy is what got the team into this funk in the first place. The big hit needs to be a double into the gap, or a drag bunt for a base hit, or a suicide squeeze, anything to get them back to being able to win without the three-run homer.

I thought Ozzie missed a chance today to go absolutely nuts when the first base umpire brutally missed El Duque's foot drag over first. The time for Ozzie to get tossed from a game was right then. The only people out there today who looked like they cared were El Duque and AJ.

For reals, this funk has a lot to do with getting home run happy. There's other ways to score runs, boys.

AJ looked PISSED today. Hopefully his anger will result in better hitting for him and the team. Unless he is looking at girls from the new dugout bench.

Infallible
08-21-2005, 03:11 AM
getting homerun happy? Who's hit any homers besides Paulie that last few games? No one. Its not home run happy, its a complete breakdown of hitting discipline and coaching.

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2005, 03:14 AM
getting homerun happy? Who's hit any homers besides Paulie that last few games? No one. Its not home run happy, its a complete breakdown of hitting discipline and coaching.Homerun happy doesn't require actually hitting homeruns. It's swinging from the heels, trying to win the game single-handedly, that's the problem. Shorten up, go with the pitch, take what you're given.

itsnotrequired
08-21-2005, 03:15 AM
getting homerun happy? Who's hit any homers besides Paulie that last few games? No one. Its not home run happy, its a complete breakdown of hitting discipline and coaching.

Being home run happy doesn't mean you're hitting them. Lots of Sox batters have been taking giant hacks lately. Paulie is the only one who has had any real success.

FarWestChicago
08-21-2005, 03:20 AM
Homerun happy doesn't require actually hitting homeruns. It's swinging from the heels, trying to win the game single-handedly...:ray

Now you're talkin'!!

SOXfnNlansing
08-21-2005, 03:22 AM
after 2 months of silence, I am receiving little 'tweaking' voice mails and emails from my flubbie friends

Dan H
08-21-2005, 07:26 AM
The Sox still have their lead, and I have to believe that the Indians and Twins will cool down some. But the long season exposes a team's weaknesses and we have seen that during this slump. Even when they took two out of three from Seattle and the Yankees, the Sox weren't hitting. And they have shown they need to get ahead early like they did early in the season or they are going to have a real tough time winning.

I'd love to see them bash Randy Johnson, but they really need to beat the Twins and get over that hump.

RowanDye
08-21-2005, 07:47 AM
:D: On a dark cloudish note, Crede is this years offensive Valentin except he isn't clutch at all.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/schedule/broadcasters/hawk.jpg

"Joe Crede has come up with some big hits and some big plays defensively."

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/Images/talent/JacksonSoxTalentPage.jpg "You're darn right."

DumpJerry
08-21-2005, 07:57 AM
I thought Ozzie missed a chance today to go absolutely nuts when the first base umpire brutally missed El Duque's foot drag over first. The time for Ozzie to get tossed from a game was right then. The only people out there today who looked like they cared were El Duque and AJ.
I'm with you there, Nellie. I was at the game and was waiting for a major Sportscenter-level tirade with First Base flying 45 feet in the air and Ozzie getting slapped big time by Spineless Bud for disrespecting the friggin' ump.

Then there was the hard tag on A.J. where he got a little peeved........

Maybe something will blow today if we don't have a lead.

TornLabrum
08-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Being home run happy doesn't mean you're hitting them. Lots of Sox batters have been taking giant hacks lately. Paulie is the only one who has had any real success.

I think the entire seven-game skid was summarized nicely by the last out yesterday: a pop-up.

Realist
08-21-2005, 09:27 AM
This calls for a fight with the Twins on Monday. (Teal or no teal, that's for you to decide)

I vote no teal, but then again... I come from an ice hockey background. There's nothing like a good donnybrooke to change the momentum.

jerry
08-21-2005, 09:34 AM
after 2 months of silence, I am receiving little 'tweaking' voice mails and emails from my flubbie friends

It truly is amazing, but the same thing is happening to me. As a Sox fan my whole life, I have seen losing streaks and they do end. Have faith, and I can always tell my flubbie friends they are in 7th place in the "wild card". I find it amazing that they even list that in the paper.:smile:

SOXSINCE'70
08-21-2005, 09:35 AM
They were pretty outstanding for 110 games. They've sucked for 10. The weight of evidence says I am.

A healthy Podsednik and Konerko would help.All MLB teams would
struggle without their main hitters in the lineup.Take David Ortiz
or Manny Ramirez out of the Blow Sawx lineup and see if Varitek,
Renteria,Tony G or Bill Mueller see the same pitches.My guess is no.

MarySwiss
08-21-2005, 10:54 AM

My flubbie fan friends know from bitter experience to stay the hell away from me at times like this! :angry:

I am surprised I haven't heard from my Tribes fan friend, though. Every time the e-mail chime goes off, I'm thinking, "Oh, s***." Probably the only reason he hasn't tweaked me is because when they got swept by Tampa Bay, I very kindly refrained from rubbing that in. Which was not easy.

Oh, well. Today's another day. Go Sox!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Some of you Sox Fans just need to take a stress pill and chill out. You behave as though you've never won a championship before.

Oh wait a minute...

Tragg
08-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Well, the fact that we have the same lead as that at the all-star break is OK... but the fact we've lost 6.5 games off our biggest lead in 2.5 weeks is sickening. Couple that with the fact the Cleveland's schedule the rest of the way is a flat out joke... there is plenty of room for concern.

We have to start beating up the Central again because we're all out of Tampa Bay's.
Yes their schedule is weak; but we had an easier schedule 3-6 weeks ago, and basically played .500, including losing 2/3 to the tigers and the royals. We haven't slumped but for 10 days or so, but we haven't played our best ball since 2 weeks before the all-star break, except for that nice sweep at cleveland right after the break.

voodoochile
08-21-2005, 12:27 PM

Flubs fans are talking trash? For the love of gawd... why?

SCOREBOARD!!! :rolleyes:

WizardofOZ
08-21-2005, 12:38 PM

It's because of this!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3161&stc=1

MarySwiss
08-21-2005, 12:40 PM

Believing everything they read in the papers?

voodoochile
08-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Believing everything they read in the papers?

One more reason not to read the newspapers in Chicago... It clearly rots your mind...:tongue:

SouthSide_HitMen
08-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Some of you Sox Fans just need to take a stress pill and chill out. You behave as though you've never won a championship before.

Oh wait a minute...

Are you saying there are no 93 year olds on this board (who would have been 5 in 1917)? :tongue:

SouthSide_HitMen
08-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Oh, please, don't let it be a three-run homer.

You can't always get what you want.

But if you try sometimes well you might find

You get what you need.

Rolling Stones reclaim Comiskey Sunday August 21!!!

PS - Yesterday don't matter when it's gone!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2005, 05:20 PM
You can't always get what you want.

But if you try sometimes well you might find

You get what you need.

Rolling Stones reclaim Comiskey Sunday August 21!!!

PS - Yesterday don't matter when it's gone!

I'm reminded of Jim Bouton telling the story about sitting in the bullpen after all his fellow Pilots pitchers had been lectured about throwing more strikes. So the Pilots give up four homeruns in the next game and after each one somebody declares, "There's another of those ********* strikes."

cheeses_h_rice
08-21-2005, 05:49 PM

:bow:

Letmehearya
08-21-2005, 07:03 PM
There are - I think - 2 basic reasons why some of us [most of us?] [ me included] have gone nuts the past week:

1) The World Series is there for the taking. With our starters, I fear no one in the AL or NL. With an additional bat, our wildest dream comes true. :bandance:

2) 1917

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2005, 07:05 PM
They were pretty outstanding for 110 games. They've sucked for 10. The weight of evidence says I am.

Alot of bandwagon fans dont research or care for evidence, all they see is the L10 column and who has the most wins

JB98
08-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Cheeses, you are right. We are one big hit away. I said that to my buddy two or three times at the game today. We had three innings with two men on base and a couple others with a man at second and no outs. We just couldn't get the one hit we needed to break the tension and take the pressure off. When that one hit comes, the floodgates just might open.

Someone needs to step forward, be a leader and get that hit. I hope we have a situation tomorrow where Iguchi comes up with RISP. He'll get it done. Mark my words.

I guess I wasn't too far off with my post last night. Iguchi didn't come up with RISP, but that solo home run got us started. Tadahito strikes again.

:supernana: