PDA

View Full Version : Sox hitting stats

hose
08-20-2005, 01:29 AM
The Sox are 12th in the AL in OBP with a .322

Tied for last with KC at 1043 total hits.

Last in doubles with 178 and the only team not to have reached 200 yet.

Tied for last in triples with 10.

3rd in homers with 151. :cool:

9th in runs scored with 561

OBP for Blum - .269
. Uribe - .287
. Timo - .277
. Crede - .294

FarWestChicago
08-20-2005, 01:32 AM
And your point is? :?:

itsnotrequired
08-20-2005, 07:55 AM

Doesn't look like he has one. The Sox offense from last year didn't look too shabby on paper but we all know how that turned out. It could be easily argued that this year's offense looks WORSE on paper yet their record is much better. True, pitching is better this year but looking at a handful of stats isn't going to tell you squat about how a team is doing.

You need to go the route of BP and look at a team's XYX, HKGDY, IWIOH and NUODU. It becomes totally clear then who the better teams are.:rolleyes:

hose
08-20-2005, 08:27 AM

At the game last night once the Sox got down by just 2 runs I felt the only way they would come back was by the home run.

Posting the stats and looking to see first hand how the numbers stacked up gives somewhat of an explanation why their offense minus the smart ball part isn't producing lately.

The Sox are due to breakout with a 15 hit 12 run game and today would be fine with me.:bandance:

FloridaSox
08-20-2005, 08:30 AM

While the pitching and defense have been championship caliber, you also need a semblance of an offense to win a World Series Championship.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-20-2005, 08:30 AM
...True, pitching is better this year but looking at a handful of stats isn't going to tell you squat about how a team is doing.

Short of the obvious "wins-losses" stat, the best barometer of the team's strength is runs scored vs. runs allowed. The '04 Sox mashed the ball, but every fourth and fifth day they ran out to the mound complete losers named Schoenweis, Grilli and Diaz. It's a wonder they managed as many as 83 wins.

The '05 Sox only go as far as the pitching staff can carry them. With all the injuries right now, the offense has been neutered.

hose
08-20-2005, 08:54 AM
While the pitching and defense have been championship caliber, you also need a semblance of an offense to win a World Series Championship.

The Sox are at the top of the league in sac flys and bunts which is great if you can come through with a timely hit to get the run in. It seems this where the Sox haven't been getting it done consistently at home for the last 20 games or so.

The Sox will get through this funk and get back to good fundamental baseball with clutch hitting.

Frater Perdurabo
08-20-2005, 09:27 AM
In another thread we made the point that smart ball is an attitude; a way of approaching the game that maximizes scoring from limited on-base opportunities. For better or worse, low OBP has been a characteristic of the Sox offense all year.

The difference is that now they are not taking full advantage of the few times they actually do get runners on base. They are not moving the runners over by bunting, hitting behind the runner or getting guys to third base with less than two outs.

Of course losing Podsednik is a big part of the problem. But that's not the ONLY reason.

Part of the problem is mental. Many of the other Sox hitters aren't buying into the smart ball as much as they should. They want to take advantage of the conditions and try to jack home runs with a man on first. Often they strike out or pop out, killing rallies before they have a chance to start.

I also think the weather may play a role. Early in the year when the weather was cold, the Sox offense also was cold but the Sox pitchers owned opposing hitters at home and on the road.

Frank came back just as the weather was warming up. Consequently, although the pitching gave up more runs at the Cell, the Sox offense scored even more. Now the Sox are without Frank for the rest of the year and Pods for the rest of August, while the weather at home is very hot and humid in a bandbox ballpark. Not a good mix.

Pods return will be huge. But so will the cooler temperatures. Cold weather will hurt the Sox power hitters; but it will hurt opposing teams even more, because they rely so much more on power. The Sox starting pitchers should be fine in October; they should mimic their April performances. (If I am wrong, though, the Sox are toast.) So, how far they go in October is up to the hitters: will they continue to swing for the fences, or will they play smart and move runners over to maximize their limited OBP opportunities?

FloridaSox
08-20-2005, 09:29 AM
The Sox are at the top of the league in sac flys and bunts which is great if you can come through with a timely hit to get the run in. It seems this where the Sox haven't been getting it done consistently at home for the last 20 games or so.

The Sox will get through this funk and get back to good fundamental baseball with clutch hitting.

Station to station baseball, also called small ball, smart ball, Ozzie ball, can work fine if you get runners on base--in other words if you have a high OBP. With our team near the bottom of the AL in OBP, it is becoming harder and harder to make station to station ball work. If you look at game statistics since the All-Star break, you will see that a majority of runs have been scored on home runs. Given the desire of Ozzie to play station to station, we need to get some players with high OBP.

hose
08-20-2005, 09:54 AM
If you take the smart ball out of the Sox you are left with home run or nothing. And unfortunately a lot of those homers have been solo shots.

A week or so before Pods went on the DL he was getting thrown out on a regular basis and the offense hasn't been the same since. There is a big difference if Pods could get on and steal second instead of Iguchi sac bunting to get him over.

Having Iguchi hitting to the right side w/Pods standing on second after a stolen base usually payed off with a run scored or Scotty over at third with one out.

I don't see the Sox putting any pressure on the other team at home with aggressive smart ball lately. I agree it is a mind set for the players and its better to be the team exerting the pressure then the team sitting back and waiting for something to happen.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-20-2005, 10:27 AM
All I learned from reading this thread is that NOBODY has a clue what the terms Ozzieball, Smartball or SmallBall are supposed to mean.

The terms are meaningless. This thread proves it.

southsideirish71
08-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Pods return will be huge. But so will the cooler temperatures. Cold weather will hurt the Sox power hitters; but it will hurt opposing teams even more, because they rely so much more on power. The Sox starting pitchers should be fine in October; they should mimic their April performances. (If I am wrong, though, the Sox are toast.) So, how far they go in October is up to the hitters: will they continue to swing for the fences, or will they play smart and move runners over to maximize their limited OBP opportunities?

People keep talking about the cooler October temperatures. How cold is it really in the first week of October when we play the ALDS. Its still most likely in the 70s and it can be still in the 80s. Its not quite April weather. If we go beyond the DS and go further into October I agree the weather will cool down. But this month we are currently at a 40% rate of scoring runs via the dong. This is up from around 30% in June and July when our offense was hitting at a 270 clip as a team.

The last good offensive series we had as a team was the Baltimore series. In that series we hit the ball up the middle and to the other field. We didnt do too much with each AB and looked like world beaters. Now we stand back, try to pull and park every single pitch. They are behind fastballs in fastball counts because of their long and looping swing to park the ball. This happened last year during our 7 game losing streak in August at about this time. Its also when KW called out the team about if he ever saw another player swing for the fences and K with RISP and less than two outs he would puke.

They need to review tape on the baltimore series and get back to what has made them successful. This standing up there and hacking at everything near the plate is why they are 0-2 1-2 all the time, and this is why their OBP is so low. Its not because a few guys sacrifice here and there. That excuse is what sox managment has used all year long for the low BAs and low OBP.

TomBradley72
08-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Last year's offense was fine....until we lost Maggs and Frank...if they had been there all season....we win the division. With Pods, great execution and clutch hitting = average offense. Without Pods, swinging for the fences, and no clutch hitting = one of the worst offensive line ups in the league.

southsideirish71
08-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Last year's offense was fine....until we lost Maggs and Frank...if they had been there all season....we win the division. With Pods, great execution and clutch hitting = average offense. Without Pods, swinging for the fences, and no clutch hitting = one of the worst offensive line ups in the league.

We hit .262 last August with Borchard and Timo splitting time in RF. We hit decent last August, it was our pitching and the 5th starter disaster that caused our streaks to grow.

hose
08-20-2005, 11:59 PM
All I learned from reading this thread is that NOBODY has a clue what the terms Ozzieball, Smartball or SmallBall are supposed to mean.

George those are the words that writers, announcers, and sportsblab radio people use.

If the term moneyball is used I think most people that follow baseball have a general concept of what it is referring to.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2005, 09:56 AM
George those are the words that writers, announcers, and sportsblab radio people use.

You mean the same people who gave us the cliche, pitching and defense wins championships? Those people?

Ah, it's all making sense now.

:cool:

hose
08-21-2005, 12:45 PM
You mean the same people who gave us the cliche, pitching and defense wins championships? Those people?

Ah, it's all making sense now.

:cool:

By the middle of next week or sooner it will be back to "winning ball" .

The funk will be over and the Sox will be back on track.:bandance:

Huisj
08-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I almost find it most interesting that the sox are last in the league in doubles, and by a lot. To me, it seems that the home run mentaility that this club has most of the time (honestly, how often did they really play "smart ball" or whatever except when podsednik was on base??) is a disaster for this offense.

Maybe I'm way off here, but to me the homerun swings cause lots of pop outs and strikeouts and a few home runs. Swinging for simple basehits cuts down on popouts and strikeouts and increases OBP and BA. Increasing BA by trying to just get basehits increases the number of doubles because some of those basehits are going to find the gaps or find the line. Increasing OBP and number of doubles gives the team a whole lot better chance to play "smart ball", which would put more pressure on the pitchers and force them to pitch more to certain guys and then they might groove fastballs to certain guys, and then the home runs will come naturally.

Sounds like a logical order of events to me, but like I said I could be way off here. But isn't that pretty much how Minnesota swept the sox last week, by doing just those things? Did any of their players look like they were swinging out of their jock strap everytime up at the plate? No, they were just trying to make good contact, and the rest took care of itself.

JRIG
08-21-2005, 01:17 PM
I almost find it most interesting that the sox are last in the league in doubles, and by a lot. To me, it seems that the home run mentaility that this club has most of the time (honestly, how often did they really play "smart ball" or whatever except when podsednik was on base??) is a disaster for this offense.

The Sox are dead last in doubles because their lineup is filled with low average guys who have a bit of power. And at U.S. Cellular, a bit of power means all those possible doubles turn into home runs. That's why the Sox are 3rd in the AL in HR.

wassagstdu
08-21-2005, 02:08 PM

I think some of the comments here make it clear that some of us understand what SmartBall means. The oh-so-obscure point of the initial post is that the Sox are not just failing, but failing miserably to execute the components of smartball, but have not lost their love of the long ball. My interpretation is that the players are thinking they have won enough for now as a team and it is time to pad their individual stats for contract negotiating time. Can't say I blame them, but I had hoped that what they learned by talking to the '59 Sox in June was that winning is worth more than money in the long run.

Huisj
08-21-2005, 02:27 PM
The Sox are dead last in doubles because their lineup is filled with low average guys who have a bit of power. And at U.S. Cellular, a bit of power means all those possible doubles turn into home runs. That's why the Sox are 3rd in the AL in HR.

Yes, but what I'm asking is whether that's just who they are, or whether that's what they are because of their hack hack hack mindset at the plate.

Also, I disagree that all the doubles become homers instead. Lots of doubles are loopers down the line and low line drives in the gap that never have a shot at being homers. It's not like every double ever hit is a deep flyball to the warning track that automatically goes over the fence in the sox park. I think it's just that we have a bunch of bonehead narrowminded hitters in the lineup that feed off each other's boneheadedness.

ok, yeah, i'm ranting. I'm a little pissed after just watching ozuna get picked off second in the first inning. :angry: sorry for my bad attitude

Malgar 12
08-21-2005, 02:46 PM
[/QUOTE]The '05 Sox only go as far as the pitching staff can carry them. With all the injuries right now, the offense has been neutered.[/QUOTE]

Which I think was his point. Hence the Blum Crede Perez and Uribe stats.
When half your line up is that bad its hard to score runs.

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 06:19 PM
The Sox are dead last in doubles because their lineup is filled with low average guys who have a bit of power. And at U.S. Cellular, a bit of power means all those possible doubles turn into home runs. That's why the Sox are 3rd in the AL in HR.With a few notable exceptions, I think they're mostly pretty average BA guys. But their BA have taken a hit to play Ozzieball. Iguchi is an illustrative, if extreme example. How many AB has he given up to advance Podsednik? He could easily be hitting 20-30 pts higher. Other players might be less extreme, but I believe all have done this to some extent.

Railsplitter
08-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Things happen.

Saturday, Everett hits a pitch one foot foul. eighteen inches to the right and its a double. Having never played baeball on serious level, I'm not sure how a batted ball can be controlled. From what I can gather, the batter can adjust his swing for the direction to ball goes, but once it leaves the bat, the ball is on its own.