PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Aspect of a Hawk and DJ Telecast?

HotelWhiteSox
08-19-2005, 08:01 PM
They're great when times are going good and provide some memorable moments, but there's also times that make me thank God that we have John Rooney (too underappreciated). They probably don't read the boards, but maybe someone in the Sox organization will and pass up tips the guys on what they could work on.

EDIT: I don't think I can add poll choices, but if I could, I'd also add:

- "He just missed it" or Giving false hope by getting excited about a ball that doesn't even reach the warning track.

- None, no one's perfect, people are unique, I like them just the way they are

Daver
08-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Ken Harrellson.

The Racehorse
08-19-2005, 08:23 PM
The phrase "just missed it"... it's not as if they're trying to hit beach balls. 'Just missing it' as applied to baseball can be said in almost every at bat, imo.

Chisox003
08-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Ken Harrellson.

:hawk
"Are you NUTS?!? That is B.S. right there....
TOTAL B. S. !"

mrzerofan
08-19-2005, 08:36 PM
I'd probably have to go with the dead air. Might as well just mute it instead of hearing the "Hot dogs" vendor call...:D:

Brian26
08-19-2005, 09:03 PM
The constant bitching about the strikezone tonight is getting ridiculous.

:hawk

"Teacup time!"

mr_genius
08-19-2005, 09:05 PM
The constant bitching about the strikezone tonight is getting ridiculous.

yea it is

hawk has been complaining WAY too much about the umpires this season

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Definitely the whining over the umpires. There are some times when I agree with his complaining, but it's extremely annoying when he blames a loss on a call that happened in the first inning.

SOXandILLINI
08-19-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm really starting to think hawk is nothing more than a schill for the organization. dj is just terrible and not worth discussing. saying where is Junior gonna play is a joke, his stats are better than anyone in our lineup, wake up hawk. Junior gives you incredible versatility, not to mention the much needed left handed punch. i sent at least 10 emails on wednesday to hawk, and he totally ignored them all, i think in his heart he knows he's wrong, and now will not agree with that idiot mariotti.:angry:

whtsx1959
08-19-2005, 09:42 PM
OTHER: I don't like when Hawk will leave the booth for 1/2 an inning and DJ has to try to do the play-by-play and color

Huisj
08-19-2005, 10:07 PM
"Stretch."

especially on balls that come down 10 feet in front of the warning track.

TheOldRoman
08-19-2005, 10:21 PM
:threadsucks:threadblows:

For those who are complaining about Hawk bitching about the strikezone tonight, I'm assuming you didn't actually watch the game. Mussina got any pitch that was remotely close up until the 5th inning. Here is an illustration of the strikezones each pitcher had.
M U S S I N A
Normal Strike Zone
GARLAND

Either our hitters didn't try at all today, or they are really good actors. We looked horrible out there, and they are the reason we lost the game. Hawk wasn't saying the umpires caused the loss. They didn't because Garland was miraculously able to hold the Yankees to 3 runs even when his strikezone was roughly 4" x 4". Sadly, the offsense was so pathetic (against a now mediocre pitcher) that it wouldn't have mattered how big or small the strikezones were.

I_Liked_Manuel
08-19-2005, 11:14 PM
when DJ takes over for the 8th

santo=dorf
08-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Why am I the only one who voted for homerism to the extreme? :?:

He said he'd take Uribe and Crede over A-Rod and Jeter, and when DJ was reading an email about the best new retro park, Hawk just had to chime in how USCF is one of the best ballparks in the league.

Ken
08-19-2005, 11:37 PM
I am sick of Hawk constantly reading e-mails when they are "Interactive".

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2005, 11:53 PM
You know what guys? There are a lot more important things to be worried about right now than Hawk and DJ. I'm really getting tired of threads about the announcers. Neither Hawk nor DJ has won a game or lost a game for the Sox this year. Worry about the lack of offense.

DJ was dead on tonight, pointing out that ARod was playing practically on the outfield grass, but no one was even pretending to drop down a bunt to bring him in a step, much less actually doing it which would have led to a hit.

If you don't like them, turn down the volume and turn on Rooney and Farmer.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2005, 11:58 PM
A few things:

DJ doesn't deserve to be within shouting distance of any major league broadcasting booth. Not under ANY circumstances.

Sox and Illini. Not to be offensive, but you're just figuring out that Hawk is a shrill for Uncle Jerry? Like PHG and Daver have said in the past if you want to find out what ownership is thinking just listen to Hawk.

The Old Roman. I understand where you are coming from but I'm sorry, blaming the umpires is a cop out for losers. Just hit the friggin' ball...period. If you know the strike zone is expanded for you, then it's up to you to adjust. It's not fair, but that's the way it is. Mussina has earned that expanded strike zone, all top veteran pitchers get the breaks. You know that going in, adjust and hit the friggin' ball.

Lip

Lip

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2005, 12:13 AM
...I understand where you are coming from but I'm sorry, blaming the umpires is a cop out for losers. Just hit the friggin' ball...period. If you know the strike zone is expanded for you, then it's up to you to adjust. It's not fair, but that's the way it is. Mussina has earned that expanded strike zone, all top veteran pitchers get the breaks. You know that going in, adjust and hit the friggin' ball.That is a huge load of crap. First, the idea that someone has "earned" a different strike zone than someone else is practically criminal. The strike zone is the strike zone. Garland has a better record this year than Mussina. Why does Mussina rate a bigger strike zone?

Second, "it's up to you to adjust" is an even bigger load of crap. Tell you what, Lip. Let's you and me have a boxing match. I used to be pretty good, boxed in the Army. But you have to tie one hand behind your back. It's not fair, but that's the way it is. It's up to you to adjust; all you have to do is hit me, but if you complain, you're a whiner.

silenceofthehawk
08-20-2005, 12:20 AM
I'd probably have to go with the dead air. Might as well just mute it instead of hearing the "Hot dogs" vendor call...:D:
Haha! Great post!

Lip Man 1
08-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Nellie:

Mussina has excelled for a decade. Garland for less then a season. Umpires are human, umpires have bias. Life isn't fair...deal with it. That's like saying Hall of Famer's like Aaron, Mays, Koufax, Williams, Musial didn't get the breaks. Preposterous.

This story may or may not be true but it perfectly represents what I'm saying. A kid was pitching against Ted Williams. Ted let a few close pitches go by that the umpire called balls on. The kid pitcher stated they were strikes. The umpire replied, 'they are strikes when Mr. Williams says they are strikes.'

Yes Mussina has earned more 'respect' with umpires right now then Garland has. It's not fair but that's reality.

Regarding your boxing reference. If I want to win the fight I better figure out a way to beat the s@#$ out of you with one hand because that's the cards I've been dealt. If I lose nobody is going to have any sympathy for me are they? Same with the Sox. Stop making excuses (including Hawk) stop acting brain dead, stop moping around, show some fire, show some guts, start hitting the friggin' ball...start winning (not whining) again.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Regarding your boxing reference. If I want to win the fight I better figure out a way to beat the s@#$ out of you with one hand because that's the cards I've been dealt. If I lose nobody is going to have any sympathy for me are they? Same with the Sox. Actually, if people watched the fight and understood that you were entering the fight under different rules than I was, yes, I think that a whole hell of a lot of people would have sympathy for you.

You said that Mussina has "earned" a bigger strike zone. I say now, and will always say, that's a huge load. I believe that umpires who cannot call a consistent stike zone should be fired. It should be the same, regardless of who's pitching, regardless of who's at bat. The fact that it's "reality" doesn't make it right, and you saying that he's "earned" it makes it sound like you think it's okay. I wish MLB would get Questec in every park.

FarWestChicago
08-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Nellie:

Mussina has excelled for a decade. Garland for less then a season. Umpires are human, umpires have bias. Life isn't fair...deal with it. That's like saying Hall of Famer's like Aaron, Mays, Koufax, Williams, Musial didn't get the breaks. Preposterous.

This story may or may not be true but it perfectly represents what I'm saying. A kid was pitching against Ted Williams. Ted let a few close pitches go by that the umpire called balls on. The kid pitcher stated they were strikes. The umpire replied, 'they are strikes when Mr. Williams says they are strikes.'

Yes Mussina has earned more 'respect' with umpires right now then Garland has. It's not fair but that's reality.

Regarding your boxing reference. If I want to win the fight I better figure out a way to beat the s@#$ out of you with one hand because that's the cards I've been dealt. If I lose nobody is going to have any sympathy for me are they? Same with the Sox. Stop making excuses (including Hawk) stop acting brain dead, stop moping around, show some fire, show some guts, start hitting the friggin' ball...start winning (not whining) again.

LipShut the hell up, Lip!! Who the **** are you to talk to anybody about whining? You've been whining non-stop for years. You haven't even enjoyed one minute this season, except maybe now. I bet you're real happy because you can troll the piss out of this board again. Just shut the hell up.

FarWestChicago
08-20-2005, 12:51 AM
You said that Mussina has "earned" a bigger strike zone. I say now, and will always say, that's a huge load. I believe that umpires who cannot call a consistent stike zone should be fired. It should be the same, regardless of who's pitching, regardless of who's at bat. The fact that it's "reality" doesn't make it right, and you saying that he's "earned" it makes it sound like you think it's okay. I wish MLB would get Questec in every park.Lip will defend any umpire who screws the Sox or any writer that rips them. He's all about misery. What would he do if the Sox won the Series? His purpose in life would be gone.

TheOldRoman
08-20-2005, 12:53 AM
A few things:

DJ doesn't deserve to be within shouting distance of any major league broadcasting booth. Not under ANY circumstances.

Sox and Illini. Not to be offensive, but you're just figuring out that Hawk is a shrill for Uncle Jerry? Like PHG and Daver have said in the past if you want to find out what ownership is thinking just listen to Hawk.

The Old Roman. I understand where you are coming from but I'm sorry, blaming the umpires is a cop out for losers. Just hit the friggin' ball...period. If you know the strike zone is expanded for you, then it's up to you to adjust. It's not fair, but that's the way it is. Mussina has earned that expanded strike zone, all top veteran pitchers get the breaks. You know that going in, adjust and hit the friggin' ball.

Lip

Lip
Ok, I'm guessing you just saw the illustration and didn't read my post. In my post I pointed out how the strikezone was absolutely horrible for Garland. His strikezone was seemingly half of the normal zone. In my mind, Garland pitched a hell of a game, strike zone considered. Half of the plate was taken away, and usually when that happens, a pitcher hits the other half of the plate and gets rocked. Garland really impressed me tonight. Nellie is right, and the umpiring was shamefully bad. There is no excuse for it, and it was blatant. Not only did Mussina get a strike on every pitch within 6 inches of the plate for the first 5 innings, but Garland was squeezed horribly. However...
If you read my post you would see that I said the umpiring didn't cost us the game. Carl looked clueless, AJ struck out thrice, Crede was Crede, and so on. Mussina got a bigger strike zone, but that shouldn't have mattered. This isn't like the game against the Jays where Bush got strikes called on any pitch dirt to eyebrows. The Sox had every opportunity to win this game, and against a pitcher who is not great anymore. Our hitters were absolutely brutal, and THAT is why we lost the game. The umpiring was horrible, but that didn't cost us the game. Our hitters gave it away.

TheOldRoman
08-20-2005, 01:00 AM
You said that Mussina has "earned" a bigger strike zone. I say now, and will always say, that's a huge load. I believe that umpires who cannot call a consistent stike zone should be fired. It should be the same, regardless of who's pitching, regardless of who's at bat. The fact that it's "reality" doesn't make it right, and you saying that he's "earned" it makes it sound like you think it's okay. I wish MLB would get Questec in every park.
I agree. That is the same arrogance that SOB Gardenhire used earlier in the year. He got tossed from the game arguing balls and strikes when Santana was pitching. I didn't see the game, but from what I heard the strike zone was pretty standard. After the game, Gardenhire castrated the umpire in front of the press, calling him things like "bush league" and saying he didn't know how the game was played, he wasn't professional, and how dare he not show respect to Santana. Demanding a larger strike zone because a pitcher won a Cy Young is BS. What is even more BS is that Gardenhire wasn't even fined, while Ozzie was suspended for much much less last year. A strike should be a strike, and a ball should be a ball. Umpires should be held accountable when the get it wrong.

Joosh
08-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Ok, I'm guessing you just saw the illustration and didn't read my post. In my post I pointed out how the strikezone was absolutely horrible for Garland. His strikezone was seemingly half of the normal zone. In my mind, Garland pitched a hell of a game, strike zone considered. Half of the plate was taken away, and usually when that happens, a pitcher hits the other half of the plate and gets rocked. Garland really impressed me tonight. Nellie is right, and the umpiring was shamefully bad. There is no excuse for it, and it was blatant. Not only did Mussina get a strike on every pitch within 6 inches of the plate for the first 5 innings, but Garland was squeezed horribly. However...
If you read my post you would see that I said the umpiring didn't cost us the game. Carl looked clueless, AJ struck out thrice, Crede was Crede, and so on. Mussina got a bigger strike zone, but that shouldn't have mattered. This isn't like the game against the Jays where Bush got strikes called on any pitch dirt to eyebrows. The Sox had every opportunity to win this game, and against a pitcher who is not great anymore. Our hitters were absolutely brutal, and THAT is why we lost the game. The umpiring was horrible, but that didn't cost us the game. Our hitters gave it away.

Exactly. There are bigger pieces in play here than our opinions of how Hawk and DJ are, surprisingly, not flawless.

We aren't playing like the best team in baseball right now, and we have to deal with that as fans. Losing Podsednik has hurt us. But he isn't gone for good. The Dark Clouds are acting as if we handed the division to the Indians or Minnesota. We're still very much in this.

Hawk will always be Hawk. He loves this team. He is a fan just like each one of us. However, I hate those periods of "dead air," so thats what I voted for.

There is still a lot of Baseball to be played. We need to all sit back, and relax. Even great teams like us have their funks.

HotelWhiteSox
08-20-2005, 02:01 AM
That is a huge load of crap. First, the idea that someone has "earned" a different strike zone than someone else is practically criminal. The strike zone is the strike zone. Garland has a better record this year than Mussina. Why does Mussina rate a bigger strike zone?

Second, "it's up to you to adjust" is an even bigger load of crap. Tell you what, Lip. Let's you and me have a boxing match. I used to be pretty good, boxed in the Army. But you have to tie one hand behind your back. It's not fair, but that's the way it is. It's up to you to adjust; all you have to do is hit me, but if you complain, you're a whiner.

The Sox got close calls as well. It was an inconsistent strike zone, but it was on both sides IMO. Ask Mussina or Yankee fans, and they would have seen it opposite ways. The pitch AJ struck out on was right on the middle, and you have no business taking that pitch, and you look like an idiot when you just stand there and stare at the umpire, he does it everytime he strikes out looking.

As far as Hawk mentioning it, 'close pitch, didn't get it' is approaching the borderline, it becomes lame and embarrasing when he starts saying 'where's that pitch?!?' It doesn't help anything to keep saying it and it just sounds like excuses.

As far as why this topic was started, I mentioned that in the first post. There are enough of the 'I hate Timo' or threads of lineup complaining where everyone offers their advice to how theyd be the perfect manager or how the best quick fix would be Griffey. You say that there are more problems than the announcers right now a) Threads won't fix them and b) The sky isn't falling, it's called a slump. This is just for a change of pace/discussion.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Why am I the only one who voted for homerism to the extreme? :?:

No.

I mute the sound and listen to John and Ed or Music if the game is pretty much over. When I watch through MLB.tv I listen to Hawk and DJ when the game is close because there is too much of a delay between the two.

Half the game they just read emails because they can't stand / talk to each other and have little to say. When Hawk goes away at various times it would be good except for the fact DJ finds it necessary to talk.

In the early eighties NBC had an experiment with NO ANNOUNCERS - just the public address system was heard during a Miami Dolphin vs. New York Jets game. The White Sox should explore this option if they are unwilling to have John and Ed do both radio and tv ala Pat Foley.

VenturaSoxFan23
08-20-2005, 12:58 PM
OTHER: I don't like when Hawk will leave the booth for 1/2 an inning and DJ has to try to do the play-by-play and color

You aren't kidding. Hawk left in the top of the 16th the other day against the Twins. Listening to DJ call hit after hit while Hawk's in the john/getting a drink/crying his eyes out was so boring. No sense of excitement whatsoever.
Kinda like Bill Melton doing "Rain Delay Theater" on the radio.

The "bad calls by the umpires" argument wears thin as well. Hawk and DJ arguing that Blum being called out in the 12th was the turning point in the game. No guys, the turning point was Hermanson giving up the game-tying homer in the 9th. We wouldn't be in the 12th if he got that guy out. Sheesh.

HotelWhiteSox
08-20-2005, 01:06 PM
To be fair about Hawk being a homer, there's a lot of others who do it as well. Overnight I sometimes hear Sporting News Radio and they show Cardinals radio highlights, on more than one occasion the guy screams "Get up! Get up! Get up! Get up!" and then "Come on baby! Come on baby! Come on baby!" for the baserunners. Hawk does take it to extreme, I guess people have issues since he is on WGN and it is basically a national broadcast, that's not his problem though.

Hangar18
08-20-2005, 01:16 PM
yea it is

hawk has been complaining WAY too much about the umpires this season

I like hearing about it, because the Umpiring has been BRUTAL for years.
It seems every other game, there is just bad calls, laziness, contempt
on the umps part. If theyre not happy doing their jobs, get another one.
An umpire is NEVER supposed to affect the outcome of a game. Missing
foul tips, calling guys safe when theyre out, calling guys Out when theyre safe, moving strike zones, missing calls and not asking for help, flyballs down the line where umps DONT run out to check, Maddux-like strike zones for certain pitchers .....
it gets insulting at some point. There was a Strikeout recently, Sox pitcher on the mound, and the ball was right down the middle strike 3 ..........The SOX reacted positively, the fans cheered, the guy knew he was out and was dejectedly starting to walk away ..........and the UMP still hadnt made the RingUp call ......he HESITATES ....... I stood up and started to yell, the friggin ump was ready to call a Ball ........but then FINALLY made the call. The hitter thought he mightbe gotten a call his way ...and then changed his actions in the box ....... thats the kind of bs ive
been seeing way more of from umpires the last few years .......

During that 16inning game, the ump Ed Montague missed the call at first,
and the whole section behind me let him have it. There was nobody there, so he heard all the cat-calls and insults. After the Twins tired themselves out scoring all those runs that inning, Ozz came out after the inning, Presumably after he just saw the replay in the clubhouse, and tore into Montague. They had a very heated exchange, and the kind that wouldve gotten him tossed from the game, but I think Montague realized he made a bad call, and let ozz have his say ..........reluctantly. As long as Hawk is
calling it like it is, I dont have a problem with it. The umps have been pretty bad this year. Do we want to talk about that series in Oakland
with Sox/Ozzie hater Wendlestedt again?

VenturaSoxFan23
08-20-2005, 01:17 PM
What do you want from Hawk? You want him to be like John Madden, who thinks every player is the greatest ever? ("I tell ya', this Brett Favre is a tremendous player...I gotta say, this Thomas Jones is a helluva runner,...I gotta tell ya' that Orlando Pace is a big sweaty guy, 350 pounds, who loves to play,") etc. You know what to expect. I only turn the TV sound down if I have to put up with Darrin Jackson for an inning.

By the way, the umpire did miss that call at first, but for a reason. Tadahito was standing in the line of his sight. But the home plate umpire should have ran down there to make the correct call. Blum was safe by a very short margin.

Hangar18
08-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Oh, and Scotty has 3 more steals than 52. Bad calls where he was totally safe. Konerko was safe on the "double" the other nite ....... missed that call too. I didnt see the replay, but was told this morning the Yankee sliding to 3rd was OUT, but that was a missed call too (thats arguable of course)

SomebodyToldMe
08-20-2005, 01:39 PM
I voted for the Junior stuff. I'm SICK of it.

If I could vote for two, it would be the "where's that pitch?" It's extremely annoying especially when he does it 6 times an inning. And they aren't even that close.

Hawk has begun to get on my nerves this year. My liking for him his getting pretty thin.

samram
08-20-2005, 01:44 PM
To be fair about Hawk being a homer, there's a lot of others who do it as well. Overnight I sometimes hear Sporting News Radio and they show Cardinals radio highlights, on more than one occasion the guy screams "Get up! Get up! Get up! Get up!" and then "Come on baby! Come on baby! Come on baby!" for the baserunners. Hawk does take it to extreme, I guess people have issues since he is on WGN and it is basically a national broadcast, that's not his problem though.

This is true. I was driving through Virginia last Sunday and for some reason they broadcast Yankees games there. Their announcers, including that weird-looking woman Susan Waldman (or whoever she is), basically exist as an extension of the Yanks' PR department. They actually said this has been a great year for the Yankees because the offense is so good. :rolleyes: Then they talked about attendance for 10 minutes. Sound familiar?

SOXSINCE'70
08-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Hawk's pregnant pauses drive me :kukoo: :nuts: :kukoo: :nuts: .

Frater Perdurabo
08-20-2005, 02:43 PM
I voted "other." Honestly I just appreciate being able to watch an occasional Sox game on WGN, so my only complaint is when the Sox lose games. :angry:

Baby Fisk
08-20-2005, 03:05 PM
DJ sucks in general. You'd think he'd be growing into the job by now, but it's clear he's run out of stories to tell ("I was in Japan!"), and he can barely hold his own when Hawk disappears ("Uh-oh!"), and the rest of the time he's a huge dork in a bad way (predicting the next play; singing to batters; unfunny jokes; etc etc).

Black Sox
08-20-2005, 03:55 PM
DJ sucks in general. You'd think he'd be growing into the job by now, but it's clear he's run out of stories to tell ("I was in Japan!"), and he can barely hold his own when Hawk disappears ("Uh-oh!"), and the rest of the time he's a huge dork in a bad way (predicting the next play; singing to batters; unfunny jokes; etc etc).

I voted DJ. He's been horrible from day one with no significant signs of improvment. He's also developed into Hawk jr of sorts. Picking up on some of Hawks sayings and what not. They need someone in the booth to counteract all of Hawks whining. Someone to provide some perspective on the game. The Hawk/DJ experience is starting to wear thin.

Dan H
08-20-2005, 04:27 PM
The bitching about umpires has been getting old for a very long time. Also, there is no chemistry between DJ and Hawk. One or both should leave.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Some folks make it sound like there is a 'conspiracy' against the Sox by the umpires. Before you make that statement you have to find out if the 'bad' umpires are suddenly 'on the ball,' for other teams.

Please.... Sox fans are above this crap. It reminds me of that Oakland game in April where the Sox lost courtesy of Wendlestadt.

I grant you he's a pretty bad umpire but the best post was from the fan who stated and I'm paraphrasing, 'if Dye gets a hit in the 9th inning, Wendlestadt doesn't matter.' Exactly!

Hit the friggin' ball and the umpires don't matter do they? Catch the friggin' ball and the umpires don't matter do they?

Sorry I can't buy this 'conspiracy' talk without hard evidence. The only thing I see right now is the Sox aren't sharp, they are showing the strain of a long season and some fans are searching for excuses.

Lip

VenturaSoxFan23
08-22-2005, 12:55 PM
The complaining about balls and strikes are totally different.
On TV...
Hawk: Screams and yells. "Bad call! Oh come on, that's ridiculous what they've been doing to us all year!!"
DJ: Sits there like a lump, finally says something a 1/2 inning later.
On AM1000...
Rooney: Says something calmly like "AJ's talking to the umpire, telling him 'Hey, I want that call for my guy, too.' "
Farmer: Shows disgust but holds his emotions in...sometimes.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Least favorite aspect? I'm paralyzed by the possiblities...
:wink:

Look, the best advice I can offer is the same one Nellie did early in this thread: Turn down the volume and turn up your radio to listen to Rooney. Problem solved.
:thumbsup:

I voted for "media bashing" because I feel this is one area -- unlike all the others -- that actually makes the situation worse for the Sox organization. Hawk shows absolutely no common sense engaging a media troll the size of that piece of **** writing for the Scum Times. That turd lives for publicity. That's why he is well-known even amongst his peers as a windsock.

Giving that windsock more publicity is the wrong approach. Let SOX FANS (like those here at WSI) rip the living **** out of that ****ing turd. We're the ones the Scum-Times' owners need to worry about pissing off -- NOT HAWK! The dumbest move Hawk makes is talking about that ****ing idiot. The troll wants the attention, Hawk! Well, duh... you're giving it to him on a silver platter.

It's just plain stupid behavior on Hawk's part, and there really is no excuse for it if -- as Hawk claims -- the point is to get the windsock mediatroll fired.

maurice
08-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I voted "attack of umpires on the air." I'm not happy with the quality of MLB umpiring and get PO'ed when a belt-high fastball down the middle is called a "ball" (especially when the opposing pitcher is getting an extra 3 inches on the outside corner). Call a bad call a bad call and then move on. Don't harp on it for the entire game and post-game. Good teams overcome bad calls. Excessive griping can only have a negative effect.

VenturaSoxFan23
08-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I was arguing that point last year and was paralyzed by this fact: Try telling a fan in Arizona who can't get AM1000 to turn down his TV and listen to Rooney & Farmer instead.

rdwj
08-22-2005, 01:15 PM
I went other - I like our announce team. I don't have a problem with anything they do. They're very entertaining, know their baseball and are frequently amusing.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 01:16 PM
I was arguing that point last year and was paralyzed by this fact: Try telling a fan in Arizona who can't get AM1000 to turn down his TV and listen to Rooney & Farmer instead.

Well they're moving to the 50,000 watt blow torch on 670 next season. Maybe you can catch the night games. And you get the ass in the morning, too!

:ass
"Lick my butt and bark, Licorice!"

skobabe8
08-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Worst part of the broadcast by far. Especially if we are losing at the time. Awful.

HebrewHammer
08-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Other. I can't get any churros in my living room.

chitownhawkfan
08-22-2005, 02:34 PM
I dont mind DJ, but I hate when he is in the booth by himself because we have to hear stuff like UH OH. But when he is with Hawk he is fine. I love the Hawk, he thinks like a fan and gets emotional. I would much rather have the Hawk than someone like Scully who makes books on tape sound exciting.

The whole umpiring thing is a joke, I dont care if someone just got called up from A ball, the strike zone should be the same. A lot of Japanese players complain about the inconsistencies in the strike zone here. Supposedly over in Japan every umpire is held to strict standards to maintain the same strike zone for everyone. What a novel idea!

:hawk:
Best Announcer in Sports!

MIgrenade
08-22-2005, 03:09 PM
I think Hawk should quit complaining so much about umpires. I get the feeling it's the reason they have gotten no calls recently. Ever since Buehrle got tossed for no real reason every pitcher is getting pinched. Maybe that's what happens when Hawk calls the ump "inept."

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm really starting to think hawk is nothing more than a schill for the organization. dj is just terrible and not worth discussing. saying where is Junior gonna play is a joke, his stats are better than anyone in our lineup, wake up hawk. Junior gives you incredible versatility, not to mention the much needed left handed punch. i sent at least 10 emails on wednesday to hawk, and he totally ignored them all, i think in his heart he knows he's wrong, and now will not agree with that idiot mariotti.:angry:
thats got nothing to do with it--if we got griffey that would mean probably Rowand would be involved in a trade. Do you really want that?

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Shut the hell up, Lip!! Who the **** are you to talk to anybody about whining? You've been whining non-stop for years. You haven't even enjoyed one minute this season, except maybe now. I bet you're real happy because you can troll the piss out of this board again. Just shut the hell up.
DA-AM--do I dedect somebody not liking Lip here?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 04:37 PM
thats got nothing to do with it--if we got griffey that would mean probably Rowand would be involved in a trade. Do you really want that?

How did you reach that conclusion?
:?:

We have 3 outfield positions and a DH spot to fill. You can't find a home for Griffey among those 4 spots? With our line up???
:o:

P.S.
Frank is gone. I'm guessing we didn't have room for him either?

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 04:41 PM

reminds me of Jack Buck screaming for everybody to go vrazy when ozzie smith homered to win a game which I believe was a playoff game against LA.

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Oh, and Scotty has 3 more steals than 52. Bad calls where he was totally safe. Konerko was safe on the "double" the other nite ....... missed that call too. I didnt see the replay, but was told this morning the Yankee sliding to 3rd was OUT, but that was a missed call too (thats arguable of course)

Hanger, if Konerko wouldve been hustling instead of watching there wouldve no need for that call

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 04:53 PM
How did you reach that conclusion?
:?:

We have 3 outfield positions and a DH spot to fill. You can't find a home for Griffey among those 4 spots? With our line up???

P.S.
Frank is gone. I'm guessing we didn't have room for him either?

thats not the point George. we dont have 3 outfield spots to fill--they are already filled. Point is, Pods and Dye aint going nowhere via trade and nobody would take Carl because he has a history--fair or unfair. Rownad would be the odd man out. Now, if the rumored trade went down for Griffey involving nobody on the 25 man team--who would sit. Thats all Im asking. Dont take it out on me because your pissed about something. Its got nothing to do with whose better. Id love to have Griffey here or even Sweeney. but Hawk is right. unless we gave up someone in the outfield for Griffey or Konerko for Sweeney--where would he play.

samram
08-22-2005, 04:58 PM
thats not the point George. we dont have 3 outfield spots to fill--they are already filled. Point is, Pods and Dye aint going nowhere via trade and nobody would take Carl because he has a history--fair or unfair. Rownad would be the odd man out. Now, if the rumored trade went down for Griffey involving nobody on the 25 man team--who would sit. Thats all Im asking. Dont take it out on me because your pissed about something. Its got nothing to do with whose better. Id love to have Griffey here or even Sweeney. but Hawk is right. unless we gave up someone in the outfield for Griffey or Konerko for Sweeney--where would he play.

Who would sit? If the team can replace Carl Everett in the lineup with Ken Griffey, Jr., they damn well better do it. The fact that there's a guy playing CF now doesn't mean you don't improve that spot if you can. I know Aaron's Aaron, but he isn't entitled to anything.

I wouldn't bench him anyway. I would bench CC, make Pods the DH, and play Rowand in left with Griffey in CF. That should answer the whole "where's he gonna play?" thing.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 04:59 PM

The only point in playing the game is to win, and adding Griffey IMPROVES the Sox chances. I wish Griffey could play 3B or SS because those would be HUGE upgrades.

Outfielders and DH's are interchangable. That's precisely the point. If Ozzie can't rotate the 3 guys you mentioned plus Konerko, Everett, and Griffey, he is no kind of manager for a championship team.

And Hawk is an idiot if he automatically assumes (as you have) that it is Rowand who gets traded. He needs to stop shilling for Reinsdorf's wallet.

This team needs another stick. After nearly 5 months of utter mediocrity at the plate, isn't this too obvious to be pointed out?

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 05:07 PM
The only point in playing the game is to win, and adding Griffey IMPROVES the Sox chances. I wish Griffey could play 3B or SS because those would be HUGE upgrades.

Outfielders and DH's are interchangable. That's precisely the point. If Ozzie can't rotate the 3 guys you mentioned plus Konerko, Everett, and Griffey, he is no kind of manager for a championship team.

And Hawk is an idiot if he automatically assumes (as you have) that it is Rowand who gets traded. He needs to stop shilling for Reinsdorf's wallet.

This team needs another stick. After nearly 5 months of utter mediocrity at the plate, isn't this too obvious to be pointed out?

Im not assuming anything. I just want this club to win. and thats a nice concept and a nice problem to have juggling talented players. Im just saying it aint gonna happen because the troubles started when Pods went on the DL

Im also glad someone else sees the weakness in Crede and Uribe swinging at the fences on every pitch. I for one miss Jose Valentin amd Maggs and CLee, but in order to improve they had to be shipped out. if we could work a trade for griffey I would applaud as loud as anyone. I just dont see it happening for 2 reasons. one of which is JRs wallet, the other is with Frank coming back next year it would really create a logjam. and with griffey around we might not re-sign Konerko.

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 05:08 PM
BTW George, who is CC?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 05:22 PM
BTW George, who is CC?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

If the Sox fail to get Griffey, it will be because Cincinnati's owner has already come out publicly to quash the deal and deny the trade rumors. I don't see him wishing to live with the consequences if hometown favorite Ken, Jr. was packed off. Personally I could care less about the Reds' problems.

OTOH, Hawk Harrelson, the Oracle of Reinsdorphi, is smoking crack if he truly believes there in no room for Junior on this Sox team -- especially now that Frank is gone indefinitely. The conventional wisdom today must be if the Sox don't reach "Point C" it will be caused by lack of hitting because the pitching is definitely good enough.

Hawk's comment is so over the top stupid, you have to believe he is simply shilling for Reinsdorf when he says it. Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time.

mantis1212
08-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Griffey's stats through Sunday (440 AB):

.295 AVG 29 HR 85 RBI .365 OBP

Would it help to replace one of these stat lines with Griffey?

Everett (342 AB)
.263 AVG 18 HR 68 RBI .317 OBP
Dye (396 AB)
.260 AVG 22 HR 62 RBI .318 OBP

Hell yes it would. The Sox don't have ANYONE batting over .282 right now.

When Griffey DHs, put Dye in RF. When Griffey plays RF, put Everett at DH.

Platoon Dye and Everett righty vs. lefty. Whaddya think about that Hawk?

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 05:48 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

If the Sox fail to get Griffey, it will be because Cincinnati's owner has already come out publicly to quash the deal and deny the trade rumors. I don't see him wishing to live with the consequences if hometown favorite Ken, Jr. was packed off. Personally I could care less about the Reds' problems.

OTOH, Hawk Harrelson, the Oracle of Reinsdorphi, is smoking crack if he truly believes there in no room for Junior on this Sox team -- especially now that Frank is gone indefinitely. The conventional wisdom today must be if the Sox don't reach "Point C" it will be caused by lack of hitting because the pitching is definitely good enough.

Hawk's comment is so over the top stupid, you have to believe he is simply shilling for Reinsdorf when he says it. Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time.

you said in an earlier post you would bench CC and I assume you mean Everett--who BTW has nothing deserving of a benching as his numbers are fine by me.
alright so we agree to disagree on this. and I agree it would be nice to add Griffey, but at what price?

oldcomiskey
08-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Griffey's stats through Sunday (440 AB):

.295 AVG 29 HR 85 RBI .365 OBP

Would it help to replace one of these stat lines with Griffey?

Everett (342 AB)
.263 AVG 18 HR 68 RBI .317 OBP
Dye (396 AB)
.260 AVG 22 HR 62 RBI .318 OBP

Hell yes it would. The Sox don't have ANYONE batting over .282 right now.

When Griffey DHs, put Dye in RF. When Griffey plays RF, put Everett at DH.

Platoon Dye and Everett righty vs. lefty. Whaddya think about that Hawk?

that would probably work---its the best idea Ive heard so far-but what do you do if Frank comes back next year?

samram
08-22-2005, 05:51 PM
you said in an earlier post you would bench CC and I assume you mean Everett--who BTW has nothing deserving of a benching as his numbers are fine by me.
alright so we agree to disagree on this. and I agree it would be nice to add Griffey, but at what price?

I posted that I would bench CC, Carl Everett. All I meant is that he would be the guy who would be rotated into the lineup. I'm not saying he would become the 25th guy.

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2005, 06:18 PM
alright so we agree to disagree on this. and I agree it would be nice to add Griffey, but at what price?How about these splits:

CE: .316/.340/.490 vs. LHP, .242/.305/.451 vs. RHP
KG: .270/.341/.500 vs. LHP, .309/.372/.590 vs. RHP

Do these give you any ideas? Everett has been brutal against RHP. It's not a matter of "deserving of a benching". But when you have an opportunity to improve your team by that much, you do it.

As much as I'd like to take advantage of Griffey's glove, I believe it's too risky to have him playing the OF more than a few times a week. But getting him into the lineup almost every day is a major improvement.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 06:27 PM
How about these splits:

CE: .316/.340/.490 vs. LHP, .242/.305/.451 vs. RHP
KG: .270/.341/.500 vs. LHP, .309/.372/.590 vs. RHP

But getting him into the lineup almost every day is a major improvement.

See, this is precisely why I believe Harrelson is once again proving himself nothing but JR's handpuppet. Somebody with as much baseball smarts as Harrelson simply has to know how stupid he sounds to spout nonsense like "where's Griffey going to play?"

The Oracle of Reinsdorphi is alive and well...

:reinsy
"You can put it on the board..... YES!"

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Somebody with as much baseball smarts as Harrelson simply has to know how stupid he sounds to spout nonsense like "where's Griffey going to play?"Sadly, I wouldn't be too sure about that.:(:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Sadly, I wouldn't be too sure about that.:(:

Well, if Hawk is truly stupid enough to believe the Sox have nowhere to play Griffey, it's a horrible indictment of Jerry Reinsdorf's baseball smarts because he made that dope Sox GM back in 1986.

maurice
08-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Im also glad someone else sees the weakness in Crede and Uribe swinging at the fences on every pitch. I for one miss Jose Valentin

You don't like to watch IFs "swinging at the fences on every pitch" but you miss Valentin?!? :kukoo:
At least Uribe and Crede can catch the ball.

oldcomiskey
08-23-2005, 04:20 PM
You don't like to watch IFs "swinging at the fences on every pitch" but you miss Valentin?!? :kukoo:
At least Uribe and Crede can catch the ball.
I miss Jose for his leadership and other things off the field. I dont miss the way he played SS.

Desert Rat
08-23-2005, 04:34 PM
The weather. If I hear Hawk talk about how hot it was in St. Louis and KC on that fake turf one more time. Serenity now! Serenity now!

mweflen
08-23-2005, 05:24 PM
crappy sound quality on comcast especially

LVSoxFan
08-25-2005, 09:38 AM
I really don't mind either of them; I don't know why people get so worked up about them. Granted, they don't have the smoothness of the FOX or ESPN guys, but they've always been part of the package for me.

I actually enjoy their disfunctionality; Hawk constantly condescending to DJ or contradicting him outright--or DJ announcing something like "You know this next pitch is going to be his changeup," when it's a heater fastball. LOL.

Best is when they get bored and lapse into non-sequitir land, like talking about who's better looking--Anderson or Pods, LOL!--or DJ's infamous singing take on "Billy, don't be a hero." OMG that was funny.

I guess in the end I don't really need the announcers because I can see the game. I will say that I have learned a hell of a lot about baseball from all the email questions they answer on the air.