PDA

View Full Version : What happens if Minn. or Cle get the wildcard?

pczarapa
08-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Let's assume we end up with the best record and get home field. So we would be 1, Boston 2, and let's say Anaheim 3. Would we play Minnesota or Cleveland in the first round? 'Cauz I'd much rather play them than anyone from the west coast.

TornLabrum
08-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Let's assume we end up with the best record and get home field. So we would be 1, Boston 2, and let's say Anaheim 3. Would we play Minnesota or Cleveland in the first round? 'Cauz I'd much rather play them than anyone from the west coast.

If we still have the best record in the AL, then we play the division champion with the worst record.

Chips
08-19-2005, 07:41 PM
You cannot play any team in your division during the LDS's.

cheeses_h_rice
08-19-2005, 07:42 PM
If we still have the best record in the AL, then we play the division champion with the worst record.

Yep. If the team with the best record and the WC winner are from the same division, they can't play each other in the first round.

Which is a bit of a stupid rule if you think about it. What's the big whoop about being in the same division? Unless the rule was specifically made with the AL East in mind, and MLB wanting Boston/NYY to be the ALCS.

MarySwiss
08-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Yep. If the team with the best record and the WC winner are from the same division, they can't play each other in the first round.

Which is a bit of a stupid rule if you think about it. What's the big whoop about being in the same division? Unless the rule was specifically made with the AL East in mind, and MLB wanting Boston/NYY to be the ALCS.

That would be a good guess, I think. Except I believe this rule also holds true for the NFL. Maybe for the same reason, though, come to think of it! I mean, just imagine an NFC championship game that featured the Arizona Cardinals and the Dallas Cowboys. Who on the East Coast would watch it, for heaven's sake?

SOXfnNlansing
08-19-2005, 07:58 PM

Which is a bit of a stupid rule if you think about it. What's the big whoop about being in the same division? Unless the rule was specifically made with the AL East in mind, and MLB wanting Boston/NYY to be the ALCS. bingo

HotelWhiteSox
08-19-2005, 08:14 PM

In your situation, we'd play Anaheim and Boston would play Min/Cle

As the people above me stated, the division leader with the best record can't play the wild card team if that team is from the same division. Then, we would go on to play the team in the east or west who has the worst record of the two.

pczarapa
08-19-2005, 11:09 PM
In your situation, we'd play Anaheim and Boston would play Min/Cle

As the people above me stated, the division leader with the best record can't play the wild card team if that team is from the same division. Then, we would go on to play the team in the east or west who has the worst record of the two.

Thanks, hopefully we're not the wildcard

FielderJones
08-20-2005, 12:39 PM
That's only if we're able to win another game.

You're right. With the current lineup we probably will not win another game this year. We should immediately send McCarthy, Anderson, and Gload to Cincinnati for Junior.

Infallible
08-20-2005, 02:31 PM
we get swept. With this offense we can have the best pitching in the world and it still won't make a difference.

MarySwiss
08-20-2005, 02:35 PM
we get swept. With this offense we can have the best pitching in the world and it still won't make a difference.

What offense?
I still think we're going to be fine, but this is some brutal baseball we're playing today.

Iron Dragon
08-20-2005, 05:36 PM
[/u][/color]

That would be a good guess, I think. Except I believe this rule also holds true for the NFL. Maybe for the same reason, though, come to think of it! I mean, just imagine an NFC championship game that featured the Arizona Cardinals and the Dallas Cowboys. Who on the East Coast would watch it, for heaven's sake?

The rule is not the same for the NFL. Seeds 1 and 2 get byes, Division 1 winner plays the 2nd wild card team (3 vs. 6), and Division winner 2 plays wild card 1 (4 vs. 5), no matter which division the teams are from. The top seed then plays the lowest seed in the next round.

However, in MLB, I agree that the rule was put into effect to separate possible BOS-NYY matchups in the first round.

rmusacch
08-21-2005, 01:26 AM

That rule needs to be changed. The team with the best record should play the wild card winner.

Mammoo
08-21-2005, 02:34 AM

As of this writing, assume nothing:?:

Same old story; Sox lose...Indians win...MERCY!

One question...

"Where would we play Griffey...":o:

MarySwiss
08-21-2005, 10:58 AM
The rule is not the same for the NFL. Seeds 1 and 2 get byes, Division 1 winner plays the 2nd wild card team (3 vs. 6), and Division winner 2 plays wild card 1 (4 vs. 5), no matter which division the teams are from. The top seed then plays the lowest seed in the next round.

However, in MLB, I agree that the rule was put into effect to separate possible BOS-NYY matchups in the first round.

You're right. I forgot about that 2 wild card thing.

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2005, 11:24 AM
That rule needs to be changed. The team with the best record should play the wild card winner.Why? Especially inasmuch as the WC winner is often not the same as the playoff team with the worst record.

Malgar 12
08-21-2005, 03:48 PM
You're right. With the current lineup we probably will not win another game this year. We should immediately send McCarthy, Anderson, and Gload to Cincinnati for Junior.

Why would Cincy want Gload?

Mohoney
08-22-2005, 01:16 AM
[/u][/color]Except I believe this rule also holds true for the NFL.

Nope. In the NFL, teams from the same division play each other on Wild Card Weekend if the cards fall that way.

Last year, both NFC Wild Card matchups were teams in the same division (St. Louis vs. Seattle, Green Bay vs. Minnesota).

The last Bears playoff victory was in the Metrodome against the Vikings on Wild Card Weekend in 1994.