PDA

View Full Version : 10 Below

Mammoo
08-19-2005, 01:24 PM
If the Sox lead drops below 10 this weekend prepare for a flood of collapse stories.

Unfortunately, something like that takes on a life of it's own and becomes a self fullfilling prophecy.

I'd feel a lot better if KW does something...this team is in the doldrums:?:

Stroker Ace
08-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Yeah. I would like it if the Red's ownership group would get their heads oup of their rear ends and trade Griffey.

samram
08-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, let the media have their panic-fest. I don't care. I don't understand why 10 games is any type of threshold. In reality, the threshold is 1. Furthermore, for the lead to get down to 10.5, the Sox have had to be pretty bad for a week, and the Tribe has had to play very well. The chances that pace continues, and that Cleveland is going to be 10.5 games better than the Sox for the next six weeks are pretty slim. If the Sox go 20-24 over the last 44 games, the Tribe has to go 29-12. They're not 17 games over 121 games in, I doubt they do it over the last six weeks.

WizardofOZ
08-19-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Below is the temperature in February!!

34 Inch Stick
08-19-2005, 02:59 PM
It's always 2 below in my pants.

Sad
08-19-2005, 03:02 PM
It's always 2 below in my pants.

:unsure:

buehrle4cy05
08-19-2005, 03:27 PM
While there would be no positives to having a lead <10 games, the only consolation would be to see chisoxbob's incredible Shrinking mind come out in full force.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-19-2005, 03:31 PM
While there would be no positives to having a lead <10 games, the only consolation would be to see chisoxbob's incredible Shrinking mind come out in full force.

he was such a classic troll

StockdaleForVeep
08-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Why is it in past seasons when we were 7 back and the twins or cleveland were ahead of us, no one began a "WE'RE HOT, WE CAN GET EM" thread when we hit a win streak

Yet this happens and everyone starts fleeing the ship

elrod
08-19-2005, 03:43 PM
5 games is my threshold for worrying. The Cardinals have had their lead shrink to 8.5 a couple times after they cooled off and the Astros heated up. You think the Cardinals were panicking?

MIgrenade
08-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Remember that the Sox' lead was 9 at the All-Star break, which was in early July, and now it is nearing the end of August and the Indians still have not pulled within 9. The second place team has yet to break even after the break. So far this team has GAINED ground since the break and play well against their division. I know that losing this lead would not be unprecedented, but it is improbable. Plus, any team that has over come this type of deficit was much better than this Indians team.

HotelWhiteSox
08-19-2005, 04:19 PM
I think everyone has forgotten the last couple of years when we were behind, and even when we were playing good baseball, a 4-6 game lead looked very diffucult to overcome and 6.5 or more was a done deal. The division is ours, end of story.

captain54
08-19-2005, 05:20 PM
I think everyone has forgotten the last couple of years when we were behind, and even when we were playing good baseball, a 4-6 game lead looked very diffucult to overcome and 6.5 or more was a done deal. The division is ours, end of story.

If you go back a couple of years, (to 2003), we were actually ahead 4 or 5 games and then totally choked against Minnesota....

it was kind of "deja vu all over again" when the Twins swept us recently and I guess some of us are just sick of seeing the Twins taking over in late August and September....

Cowhead418
08-19-2005, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=captain54]If you go back a couple of years, (to 2003), we were actually ahead 4 or 5 games and then totally choked against Minnesota....
QUOTE]
Actually no that is not true. We never had more than a 2-game lead on Minnesota in from 2001-2004 and we only broke that this year. So we never had a big enough lead to qualify losing it as a choke.

jackbrohamer
08-19-2005, 05:37 PM
If you go back a couple of years, (to 2003), we were actually ahead 4 or 5 games and then totally choked against Minnesota.....

Well there were reasons for that that fortunately we no longer have to worry about....

:jerry

"I was just happy to win 2 of 3 in Yankee Stadium so I could get Neal Cotts a start."

captain54
08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=captain54]If you go back a couple of years, (to 2003), we were actually ahead 4 or 5 games and then totally choked against Minnesota....
QUOTE]
Actually no that is not true. We never had more than a 2-game lead on Minnesota in from 2001-2004 and we only broke that this year. So we never had a big enough lead to qualify losing it as a choke.

yes, that's correct....sorry my bad....I looked it up AFTER I posted it and was going to edit the post before you caught it....

the thing that could possibly qualify as a choke in 2003 was losing 5 of 6 against the Twins and Royals in mid-September...

Lip Man 1
08-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Granted it was under different circumstances but I remember 2000 when the Sox played the first half like the reincarnation of the 27 Yankees. Then came the second half...and then came the playoffs (and they went just as fast...)

This team badly needs some depth and bench help.

Lip

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-20-2005, 12:24 AM

The Twins have gained 6 games on the Sox in 6 days. This division race is a long way from over. With the current list of Sox injuries and the lineup they've trotted out there the last few days, this losing will continue.

Kenny needs to stop whining about how he can't get anything done - and get something done!

Lip Man 1
08-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Well to be fair the Sox gained five games on the Twins in five days earlier this season.

I didn't realize the Twins were 16 1/2 games out.

Lip

BeviBall!
08-20-2005, 08:50 AM
The Twins have gained 6 games on the Sox in 6 days. This division race is a long way from over. With the current list of Sox injuries and the lineup they've trotted out there the last few days, this losing will continue.

Kenny needs to stop whining about how he can't get anything done - and get something done!

Yep... 5.5 games in 6 days. And we go to the abyss next week and face Silva, Mays and Santana. Freddy, MB and JG are gonna have to find a way to win 3 games with a total of 5 runs scored in 27 inninngs... maybe 5.

To be fair to KW, we don't what's up. But, there are always alternatives available. If he does nothing by 9/1, all he did in the offseason could be for naught.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-20-2005, 09:45 AM
This is a rather amazing thread. Everyone seems to agree the source of our slump is not the performance of the ballplayers on the field -- least of all the top-drawer starting rotation. Instead we all agree a mediocre offensive attack has been further decimated by injuries. The remaining players can't get the job done because they weren't all that great to begin with.

So we're using August (and maybe September, too?) to get these ballplayers rested and healthy again. THAT'S WHAT FAT LEADS ARE FOR.

Nobody gives a **** about how you play in August, and how you play in September is no guarantee of how you play in October. It is only important that you play well in October -- and we're still six weeks away!

If this was the NFL and the Bears were sitting on a 2-touchdown lead by running a bunch of dive plays into the line, everyone would think it was the smartest move in the world. Instead we have a bunch of phony worries about complete bull****...

Does anyone believe Podsednik is NOT coming back? Does anyone believe Konerko will be out the remainder of the year? Or that Carl Everett is crippled through Thanksgiving?

This is nuts...

If your biggest worry in August is CLEVELAND sneaking up and catching the Sox from behind, you my friend are living a very sheltered life and need to visit the nearest church to give thanks.

BeviBall!
08-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Instead we all agree a mediocre offensive attack has been further decimated by injuries. The remaining players can't get the job done because they weren't all that great to begin with.

Yes... lack of depth. Tell the Cardinals they have a lack of depth.

So we're using August (and maybe September, too?) to get these ballplayers rested and healthy again. THAT'S WHAT FAT LEADS ARE FOR.

Agreed.

Nobody gives a **** about how you play in August, and how you play in September is no guarantee of how you play in October. It is only important that you play well in October -- and we're still six weeks away!

Just happens that we're playing playoff caliber teams all this month and laying a big, fat egg... injuries or not. We proved we can beat up our own division early... now Cleveland has our May/June schedule now.

If this was the NFL and the Bears were sitting on a 2-touchdown lead by running a bunch of dive plays into the line, everyone would think it was the smartest move in the world. Instead we have a bunch of phony worries about complete bull****...

Um, no. It's called a killer instinct. I seriously doubt we Bears fans would be satisfied with a bunch of 3 and outs... much like we're sick of 1-2-3 innings.

Does anyone believe Podsednik is NOT coming back? Does anyone believe Konerko will be out the remainder of the year? Or that Carl Everett is crippled through Thanksgiving?

No... but August sure is draaaaaaaaaaaaging!

If your biggest worry in August is CLEVELAND sneaking up and catching the Sox from behind, you my friend are living a very sheltered life and need to visit the nearest church to give thanks.

True. But, I think most have October malaise on their minds.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-20-2005, 11:23 AM
True. But, I think most have October malaise on their minds.

If "most" of you have October malaise on your minds, you need to just stop being baseball fans and take up a less stressful sport. Shuffleboard comes to mind...

You can't turn the clock forward. The Sox will play games nearly everyday for the next 6 weeks and not one of them will affect their record entering October. It will be 0-0 no matter what happens between now and then.

Got it?

:nuts:

samram
08-20-2005, 01:47 PM
This is a rather amazing thread. Everyone seems to agree the source of our slump is not the performance of the ballplayers on the field -- least of all the top-drawer starting rotation. Instead we all agree a mediocre offensive attack has been further decimated by injuries. The remaining players can't get the job done because they weren't all that great to begin with.

This is nuts...

I agree with everything you're saying. I would add that for some reason many people here feel that teams like NY, Boston, Oakland, Cleveland, etc., who have to win everyday, will be playing the way they are now for the next two months. Don't count on it. If these teams were that good, they wouldn't be so worried about getting into the postseason. The Sox and Angels have consistently been the best teams in the AL, but both suck right now. My bet is they're the ones who get hot again in late September and end up playing in the ALCS, while all these other teams lose some steam or just have a change in fortune as the season ends and the postseason starts.

Dan H
08-20-2005, 02:10 PM
There is no reason to panic with a 9 1/2 game lead. But there is plenty reason for concern. Just because they have a big lead doesn't guarantee them the division. Big leads have been wasted away on more than one occasion. I don't think anyone can just say the Sox have this lead and so there is nothing to worry about. And last time I checked, games in August count just as much as they do in September.

On the bright side, the pitching hasn't been that bad during the slide. If the Sox can just put on any kind of offense, they can pull themselves out of it. But I just remember 1967 when a totally anemic offense destroyed a great chance to get to the Series.

Regarding our pessimism: That comes from experience. Trips to the post season are too rare and post season performances are putrid. It is only human nature not to want to suffer a huge hearbreak.

But at this point I will take the 9.5 games ahead. If they can win tonight and beat Randy Johnson on Sunday, things will look all so much brighter. But no matter what happens in the last two games against the Yanks, the Sox better be ready to play in Minnesota. If they go in the Dome flat, it will be another three game sweep, and the great lead will further evaporate. Meanwhile Kenny Williams should be looking for one more bat. If not Griffey, someone else.

Mammoo
08-20-2005, 02:48 PM
This is nuts...

Is it possible the Sox get swept this weekend?

If the answer is yes, then it follows that it's possible Cleveland sweeps Baltimore...then it is a 7 1/2 game lead...not insurmountable.

The point is, 10 days ago, our big nosed-butt sucking announcer said there was no place for Ken Griffey. I say there's room for two Ken Griffeys.

I'm not worried about the pitching but they won't win many games with this anemic lineup scoring one or two runs per game.:?:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Is it possible the Sox get swept this weekend?

If the answer is yes, then it follows that it's possible Cleveland sweeps Baltimore...then it is a 7 1/2 game lead...not insurmountable.

Monkeys might fly out of my ass... but I'm not stupid enough to actually fret about it.

Sheesh... some of you people are complete lunatics.

:o:

Mammoo
08-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Monkeys might fly out of my ass... but I'm not stupid enough to actually fret about it.

Sheesh... some of you people are complete lunatics.

Worry???

Not hardly. I've learned not to worry where Chicago teams are concerned. After 45 years as a White Sox fan, I've conditioned myself to expect little.

Besides, I'm a Bears season ticket holder so a whole new array of hilarious events awaits me!!

Update: NY 5 CWS 0 7th inning

Rome is burning and my guy KW continues to fiddle:?:

Letmehearya
08-20-2005, 04:03 PM
KW has nothing to fiddle with. JR's in the backroom with his kid counting the millions and telling KW to shut up and get out of here. Leave KW out of this. This downfall starts at the top.I bet KW would have given Visquel the extra year that SF did.

samram
08-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Worry???

Not hardly. I've learned not to worry where Chicago teams are concerned. After 45 years as a White Sox fan, I've conditioned myself to expect little.

Besides, I'm a Bears season ticket holder so a whole new array of hilarious events awaits me!!

Update: NY 5 CWS 0 7th inning

Rome is burning and my guy KW continues to fiddle:?:

Oh good, someone else who doesn't understand that there are two sides to a trade.

Mammoo
08-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Oh good, someone else who doesn't understand that there are two sides to a trade.

http://www.wcr.blogspot.com/:cool:

Mammoo
08-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I wonder if Bill Veeck was reluctant to trade for Ted Kluzewski in 1959 because Earl Torgeson had played first base most of the year?:?:

http://www.aaretroleague.com/44812850.jpg

TornLabrum
08-20-2005, 06:12 PM
If "most" of you have October malaise on your minds, you need to just stop being baseball fans and take up a less stressful sport. Shuffleboard comes to mind...

You can't turn the clock forward. The Sox will play games nearly everyday for the next 6 weeks and not one of them will affect their record entering October. It will be 0-0 no matter what happens between now and then.

Got it?

:nuts:

You're right with one proviso. The Sox have to play well enough between now and October 2 to get to the post-season. (However, I'm pretty sure that's going to happen barring a collapse of astronomical proportions...you know, like a star collapsing into a black hole.

JB98
08-20-2005, 08:09 PM

He has been back trolling the boards. The other day, he assured me the Royals are going to kick our asses Sept. 6-8 at the Cell. He also indicated he's been posting on this board longer than I've been alive. I was born in 1976. Was WSI around back then? :?:

Apparently, he thinks he knows more about baseball than I do because he's older than me. :o:

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-21-2005, 12:52 PM

This is nuts...

Podsednik will come back - but will he be the same player he was in the first half? The offensive slide occurred while Konerko was playing and he's notorious for going into huge months long slumps. Carl Everett WILL be crippled through Thanksgiving.

Would you have believed 2 weeks ago that the Sox would hit .222 over their next 12 games? Would you have believed 2 weeks ago that their lead would shrink by 4 games in 6 days?

They have 10 games left against Minnesota and 6 against Cleveland.

I think its nuts not to worry.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Podsednik will come back - but will he be the same player he was in the first half? The offensive slide occurred while Konerko was playing and he's notorious for going into huge months long slumps. Carl Everett WILL be crippled through Thanksgiving.

Would you have believed 2 weeks ago that the Sox would hit .222 over their next 12 games? Would you have believed 2 weeks ago that their lead would shrink by 4 games in 6 days?

They have 10 games left against Minnesota and 6 against Cleveland.

I think its nuts not to worry.

Okay, so Podsednik's groin injury won't heal and he can't run. Never mind that we're not talking about a highly-technical and developed skill -- like hitting -- that every player struggles to maintain. To hear you tell it, the Sox are screwed.

And Konerko spent nearly as much time slumping as he did streaking while the Sox achieved the best record in the entire sport. But to hear you tell it, the next slump is the one that breaks the Sox' back.

Everett? Put a bullet in his head. It would be a mercy.

:kukoo:

I wish the Sox would start winning just so you gutless wonders could move on to something else to fret about... like replacing El Duque as the #5 starter. That was the Sox Fan's "Fret du Jour" just six weeks ago.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Okay, so Podsednik's groin injury won't heal and he can't run. Never mind that we're not talking about a highly-technical and developed skill -- like hitting -- that every player struggles to maintain. To hear you tell it, the Sox are screwed.

And Konerko spent nearly as much time slumping as he did streaking while the Sox achieved the best record in the entire sport. But to hear you tell it, the next slump is the one that breaks the Sox' back.

Everett? Put a bullet in his head. It would be a mercy.

:kukoo:

I wish the Sox would start winning just so you gutless wonders could move on to something else to fret about... like replacing El Duque as the #5 starter. That was the Sox Fan's "Fret du Jour" just six weeks ago.

Um...OK so... base stealing is not a "highly technical and developed skill"? :?:

And...we shouldn't "fret" about Konerko's long slumps because...he's already had one for several months this year? :?:

And Everett...you need some serious help.:?:

I wish the Sox "would start winning" too - just as much as you. I'm just not as afraid as you are of pointing out what I believe are their current problems.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2005, 02:38 PM
I wish the Sox "would start winning" too - just as much as you. I'm just not as afraid as you are of pointing out what I believe are their current problems.

Oh, I see. So by fretting about them, you make their problems better? Is that what we're suppose to believe?

Whenever the plan goes awry, your first response must always be PANIC!
:cool:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/nao-winner/review/photo/Apollo13.jpg

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Oh, I see. So by fretting about them, you make their problems better? Is that what we're suppose to believe?

Whenever the plan goes awry, your first response must always be PANIC!

http://homepage2.nifty.com/nao-winner/review/photo/Apollo13.jpg

When, exactly, will you start to "fret" about this season? 6 games up, 5 games up? Fretting was not my "first response". They've lost 7 in a row and are hitting .222 for the last 2 weeks. They were 15 games up on August 1.

Yeah, now I'm fretting.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2005, 03:10 PM
When, exactly, will you start to "fret" about this season? 6 games up, 5 games up? Fretting was not my "first response". They've lost 7 in a row and are hitting .222 for the last 2 weeks. They were 15 games up on August 1.

Yeah, now I'm fretting.

When will I start fretting? I'm guessing when we're 2 games down with 1 to go, sooner if my heart acts up. I've got a lot of confidence...

Nobody should care where we were, only where we FINISH. See the difference?