PDA

View Full Version : How Do the WSox Get Faster as a Team?

TomBradley72
08-19-2005, 12:11 PM
With our focus on ozzieball/smart ball/small ball.....speed is a critical part that strategy...and other than Pods...we don't have a whole lot of it in our typical starting line up.

Iguchi is not as fast as he was billed...and at age 30...is probably going the other direction
CF/SS/RF could be the other speed positions...Rowand/Uribe/Dye are OK..but not exactly burners/SB threats.
Not even close at 3B/DH/1B/C.
So the question is...to make this work over the long haul...do we need more speed? And if so....where would you find it? What adjustments would you make?

My first inclination is in CF....I'd move Aaron to RF(for 2006)...and find a burner in CF.

RallyBowl
08-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Bring back Willie.

Tekijawa
08-19-2005, 12:19 PM
http://www.zappos.com/images/802/7152802/1733-125897-d.jpg (javascript:PopUp('/n/pair_image.cgi', '7152802large', '500', '435', 'left', 'no_arg');)

mdep524
08-19-2005, 12:24 PM
If you want more Smartball/Smallball/speed for 2005, Omar Vizquel is the man. Whether or not he is available is another question. But he would fit perfectly with what this team is trying to do this season.

For the future... who knows? Speedsters Chris Young and Jerry Owens are both tearing it up down at AA.

Or maybe Paulie could have that shark cartilage treatment that rejuvenated Harold six years ago.

GoGoSoxReborn
08-19-2005, 12:26 PM
With our focus on ozzieball/smart ball/small ball.....speed is a critical part that strategy...and other than Pods...we don't have a whole lot of it in our typical starting line up.

Iguchi is not as fast as he was billed...and at age 30...is probably going the other direction
CF/SS/RF could be the other speed positions...Rowand/Uribe/Dye are OK..but not exactly burners/SB threats.
So the question is...to make this work over the long haul...do we need more speed? And if so....where would you find it? What adjustments would you make?

My first inclination is in CF....I'd move Aaron to RF(for 2006)...and find a burner in CF.

Well I don't think this could be done overnight or over the offseason, but here is my take:

Griffey would look like Pods at the DH spot considering the alternatives (frank and Carl)... this is the most probable

Add Julio Lugo,Omar Vizquel, Jimmy rollins, or Furcal at Short. I don't know if any of them are availible so take that with a grain of salt.

Replace Konerko with Aubrey Huff.

Get Bobby Abreu for RF.

The team would still have some major pop in the lineup, but would also have 70-80 more stolen bases a year.

maurice
08-19-2005, 02:26 PM
The Sox only play 4 players who are slow: Pierzynski, Konerko, Everett (when his legs are hurting), and Crede (slow but not THAT slow). Pierzynski's not going anywhere, but there's an excellent chance that 2 of the remaining 3 will be gone this offseason and replaced by faster players.

The Wimperoo
08-19-2005, 02:34 PM
I don't really think speed is an issue. The problem is no one is hitting. It's hard to utilize the speed if no one can get on base.

WizardofOZ
08-19-2005, 02:38 PM
What good is speed when your heading back to the dugout?

AOEllis
08-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Consult Don Beebe.

JRIG
08-19-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't really think speed is an issue. The problem is no one is hitting. It's hard to utilize the speed if no one can get on base.

Corrrect.

There's no smartball, smallball, stolen bases or bunting if hitters can't get on base. And right now we suck at doing that.

MIgrenade
08-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Don't the Marlins want to unload Juan Pierre? That would improve speed, but then again, he needs to get on base first.

Mr. N Paul Todd
08-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Griff has how many SBs this year?

Paulwny
08-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Is smart ball/small ball really a speed issue ? Or, is it a combination of situational hitting, working the count, knowing the plus and minuses of outfielder's so you can go from first to third on a single and getting a good jump from 2nd base so you can score on a single. As Maurice pointed out there are really only 2/3 players who are considered slow. However, as others have pointed out you have to get on base.

TomBradley72
08-19-2005, 03:33 PM
This post wasn't in response to the recent slump...it was looking at fully realizing Ozzie's vision for the team over the next year or two....we still look pretty "station to station" (outside Pods) to me.

GoGoSoxReborn
08-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Griff has how many SBs this year?

None. If you were the Reds would you steal with him? I wouldn't risk the injury.

Mr. N Paul Todd
08-19-2005, 04:06 PM
None. If you were the Reds would you steal with him? I wouldn't risk the injury.

That's my point. He's not going to be taking any risks on the basepaths, so adding him isn't going to be adding much speed beyond beating out groundballs, and even then I'm skeptical.

The Dude
08-19-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.zappos.com/images/802/7152802/1733-125897-d.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:PopUp%28%27/n/pair_image.cgi%27,%20%277152802large%27,%20%27500% 27,%20%27435%27,%20%27left%27,%20%27no_arg%27%29;)
:rolling:

Fake Chet Lemon
08-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Since Rowand isn't hitting as many HR's as projected, I'd like to see his speed utilized more. I think he has the potential to steal 30 if that was a focus for him. Ozzie used to steal over 30 and he was not a burner by any means. With Pods out, try Rowand at #1 or #2 and Iguchi at #3. With Rowand batting up there, at least smart managers like Gardenhire can't keep walking Rowand to get to Uribe and Joe Crume. What good is any speed at the bottom of the order with Crede waiting to kill any rally anyway?

GoGoSoxReborn
08-19-2005, 04:21 PM
That's my point. He's not going to be taking any risks on the basepaths, so adding him isn't going to be adding much speed beyond beating out groundballs, and even then I'm skeptical.

I didn't mean we would use Griffey to steal bases. The question was how do we get faster. Griffey wouldn't clog up the basepaths the way Carl, Frank, and Paulie do, inevitably making us faster. With Griffey in the 3 hole you could do a variety of different things when he's on base that you could never do with the other three, like hit and run or double steal if Pods is on second.

If you look at my original post the 70-80 stolen bases are accounted for by Huff, Abreu, and one of the many SS's listed.

DickAllen72
08-19-2005, 05:22 PM

Great post. You bring up a good point about our lack of speed. The only thing in your post I would disagree with is about Dye. He's not a bad baserunner (pretty good, actually) but he's pretty slow afoot.

For a team built on speed and defense, the only player currently active on the 25 man roster who is truly a speedster is Ozuna, and unfortuneately he's not that great on defense.

If you want more Smartball/Smallball/speed for 2005, Omar Vizquel is the man. Whether or not he is available is another question. But he would fit perfectly with what this team is trying to do this season.

I like the way you think. Vizquel would be the perfect fit for this team. He can still run, is a good base runner and excellent defensively, is a smart player, still hits for a good average and handles the bat well so that he can be both a backup leadoff man as well as backup number 2 hitter.