PDA

View Full Version : Foulke traded next? Wright called up?

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 12:24 AM
By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter
July 26, 2001 11:16 PM CDT
James Baldwin is gone, and Keith Foulke can't help but wonder whether his days with the White Sox also are numbered.

After recording his 23rd save Thursday night in the Sox's 5-4 victory over Cleveland, Foulke said the Sox don't appear interested in keeping him for the long term.

"They don't want to negotiate," Foulke said. "We've talked on and off for two years. Whenever something is close, they back off or change their mind. I guess I'm not on their priority list."

Responding to Foulke's comment, general manager Ken Williams said the Sox have told Foulke's agents they'll revisit negotiations after the July 31 trading deadline, which suggests Foulke is available until then if Arizona or any other team is willing to pay a hefty price.

The Sox earned a split in the Indians series with Gary Glover making a last-minute start for Baldwin, yielding one run in 3 1/3 innings, and Matt Ginter notching the win in relief. Jose Canseco hit a three-run homer, tying him with Carl Yastrzemski for 22nd on the all-time home run list at 452.

"A lot of guys will miss [Baldwin], but that's the way baseball is structured," Canseco said. "Who knows? More guys could be traded. I could be traded too."

Williams said he wants to keep the core of the team together, though Foulke knows the Sox have a history of trading pitchers they don't think they can re-sign. Foulke isn't eligible for free agency until after 2003.

"I definitely know it's a great possibility, but there's a lot of business to be taken care of between now and then," Foulke said.

The Sox announced after the game that right-hander Danny Wright was called-up from Class-AA Birmingham, pushing the Sox toward another youth movement.

"By no means are we shutting down," Foulke said. "The young guys have been doing it all year for us, and we're going to rely on them just a little bit more."

Wright, a second-round draft pick in '99, will move into the rotation soon, probably following a brief stint in the bullpen. With the future of Foulke uncertain, Wright could eventually replace him as closer.

"Danny Wright is a guy who very may well be a top-of-the-rotation starter but can also be a top-notch closer," Williams said. "We have to see which one he adapts to best."

NSSoxFan
07-27-2001, 01:01 AM
Keith isn't going anywhere.

doublem23
07-27-2001, 01:12 AM
If Kenny Williams knows anything about baseball, he knows how valuable Keith Foulke is, so I doubt that he's on his way out.

I know daver will give me crap on this, but I say Foulke is at the same level as a Magglio or Valentin. He is one of the core players of this team.

i ate canada
07-27-2001, 01:32 AM
If Kenny Williams knows anything about baseball, he knows how valuable Keith Foulke is

So you're saying Keith is as good as gone? Maybe on that deal Kenny will make sure to spell out the name of the player he's getting.

doublem23
07-27-2001, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by i ate canada

So you're saying Keith is as good as gone? Maybe on that deal Kenny will make sure to spell out the name of the player he's getting.

Actually, I hadn't read that thing about KW's inability to differentiate between an "e" and an "a" at the time.

Now I wonder if Keith really may be headed west.

Tragg
07-27-2001, 01:42 AM
In terms of production, a closer is not on the same level as your team's best or second to best hitter. Valentin also is not on the same level as maggs.

doublem23
07-27-2001, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
In terms of production, a closer is not on the same level as your team's best or second to best hitter. Valentin also is not on the same level as maggs.

In terms of "club leadership" I think that Valentin, Magglio, Foulke, Ray-Ray, and Frank are about equals. They are clearly the leaders of the team (in my eyes).

With Simas out for the year, Keith Foulke really has become the leader of the bullpen. I really hope the Sox recognize this and break with their tradition of not signing pitcher to long-term deals.

Paulwny
07-27-2001, 06:47 AM
JR tells KW which players to trade, it's up to KW to make the best deal. The sox org. has never stated who the "core" players are. Baldwins trade did nothing to improve the team, if JR is dumping payroll we'll be shafted in every trade.

Foulke You
07-27-2001, 01:22 PM
If this team trades Foulke, it will be further proof that the White Sox are simply not interested in winning. Winning seems to be a bonus as long as you do things within the company budget. If a player like Foulke trys to sway the company budget more towards the red, BOOM, you're shipped out of town. Foulke has emerged as one of the most dominant closers in the game right alongside Sasaki and Rivera. Do you think the Yanks or M's will let their closers go? Nope. Only the White Sox would consider pulling off another White Flag trade for one of the centerpieces they recieved from the last cost cutting surrender trade. You would think they might have learned something in '97. Even if a team like the Yankees or Arizona ponied up some prize prospects and cash for Foulke. Who cares? We'd just lose them as soon as we can't afford them any more. The White Sox are starting to operate like a small market team and it's really sad. We really need a sweep this weekend in Boston to hault further nonsense of trading your bullpen ace (Foulke) and your HR leader (Konerko).

danman31
07-27-2001, 03:14 PM
Foulke is a great closer, that's obvious. I don't see why all of our players seem to be on the block. I guess I see why, but I don't understand why. I think that with our bullpen injuries, Parque and Boomer in the rotation, and Thomas going down for the year .500 is very good. Thomas was 2nd in MVP voting there's a reason why, and we are seeing it this year in full effect. I like trading JB, though I don't really care what we get back. My thinking is if anyone of the players we go ever plays for the Sox ever, we made a good deal. Hopefully JB can do well with LA and jack up his free agency demand. I think that we should keep the rest of our guys, hang in there this year, and make a run for it next year. If we fail next year then I say we can trade some of the names away(Konerko, Perry, etc.), but none of the major core players(Maggs, Frank, Foulke, and any others that put in a huge year next year). I just hope we keep Jon, Kip, Mark, and the other young guns when they aren't so young anymore and are premier pitchers in the league.

KVinc
07-27-2001, 04:37 PM
we can trade Keith, though i dont think we will. The pros of trading Keith will be: we can get that quality ss or 2b/c(we really dont need a catcher we got Olivo a good hitting catcher damnit!)

the cons are: Even if Barcelo or Wright are the closer they will never be efficent as foulke when it comes to save percentage until 3 to 4 years down the line.

Soxboyrob
07-27-2001, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

At this point, I have to disagree. A healthy Valentin is every bit as productive and valuable as Magglio. Maybe even more so, especially in terms of "pure guts and determination," something Maggs lacks. Valentin, while healthy, had more clutch hits than Maggs has given us all season. Maggs is nowhere near the spark plug that Valentin is. Val is a better baserunner and would have about 20 homers by now, had he stayed healthy. I can't think of any situation where I'd rather have Maggs up to bat instead of a healthy Jose Valentin. When healthy, he's our MVP.
:manos
"Yes, I am the MVP of this team."

Daver
07-27-2001, 05:12 PM
I"ll say it again,since the Sox don't intend to pay him why not trade him?But wait and trade him when the season is over.
Does anyone really believe that Jerry is going to pay 8 million to a 2 pitch pitcher?
:reinsy
"I could pay him if the attendance was a little better"