PDA

View Full Version : More Back-Page Cubune Fun

Brian26
08-19-2005, 10:34 AM
I enjoyed the slap-in-the-face column on the back page of the Cubune sports section this morning which pointed out that only *8* teams since 1969 have won the World Series after having the best record during the regular season. The funny thing- the piece obviously was geared towards the Sox, but NOWHERE was the White Sox name alluded to in the column. The gutless-wonder editors over there continue to amaze me.

mantis1212
08-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Whew, good thing we don't have the best record anymore.

Tekijawa
08-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Yeah that's great news for when we face the Cardinals in the World Series!

Heffalump
08-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Just a heads up, tomorrow the Cubune is gonna have an article on how only "X" teams have won the World Series after having the second best record during the regular season.

There is also a blurb about how Frank Thomas is a bad guy and will never make the HOF becuase he didn't say hi when "so-and-so" reporter walked by him in the clubhouse in 1995.

Ah, the sweet nectar of success!!! Drink it up Scrub fans!! Drink it up!!

DumpJerry
08-19-2005, 11:14 AM
News flash:

No team named after the Ursus family of animals have won a World Series title in almost 100 years, thus rendering title hopes for said teams hopeless.

That is as relevant as the stats in today's Cubune.

cheeses_h_rice
08-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I enjoyed the slap-in-the-face column on the back page of the Cubune sports section this morning which pointed out that only *8* teams since 1969 have won the World Series after having the best record during the regular season. The funny thing- the piece obviously was geared towards the Sox, but NOWHERE was the White Sox name alluded to in the column. The gutless-wonder editors over there continue to amaze me.

Hmm. I wonder if back in 2003 the Cubune ran a story emphasizing the statistic that since 1969 only 2 teams with fewer than 89 wins (in non-strike shortened years) won the World Series?

It probably just slipped their minds.

DumpJerry
08-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Hmm. I wonder if back in 2003 the Cubune ran a story emphasizing the statistic that since 1969 only 2 teams with fewer than 89 wins (in non-strike shortened years) won the World Series?

It probably just slipped their minds.
Well, I think the point of the article is to show that even the Flubs can win the World Series since 2 teams just barely over .500 and several teams with the best record overall have won it.

That part of the article was cut due to space restrictions in the paper.

Cowhead418
08-19-2005, 11:54 AM
I can see not having the best record anymore as a blessing. Maybe it can lessen the pressure on the team and kick them out of the fantasy land they are in right now. Another plus could be that the media starts bashing them again so everyone gets angry and starts to kick some serious ass again.

mdep524
08-19-2005, 11:58 AM
The one stat they forget to including was:

-Since the advent of the Wildcard, NO team has EVER finished 6th in the Wildcard and gone on to win the World Series.

Pretty damming of the Cubs chances, eh? :cool:

Hangar18
08-19-2005, 12:33 PM
The one stat they forget to including was:

-Since the advent of the Wildcard, NO team has EVER finished 6th in the Wildcard and gone on to win the World Series.

Pretty damming of the Cubs chances, eh? :cool:

Heh heh ......... you WONT see that in the papers

kittle42
08-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Heh heh ......... you WONT see that in the papers

I love how national sports broadcasts, when showing the NL Wild Card race, show PHI, HOU, FLA, NYM, and WAS. They stop with the Mets. There are no sub-.500 5.5 game back teams....except in the Chicago newspapers.

jackbrohamer
08-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Odd that they did not point out how many teams that were 3 games under .500 on Aug. 19 and chasing 6 teams in the wild card race wound up winning the WS.

LauraJ14
08-19-2005, 02:30 PM

Wow, the Daily Herald must be using the same writers, because on the front page of the sports sections there is an article about " Sox no longer best team in baseball". Then some stats about teams in the last 20 years who have won the World Series and teams with more than 100 wins winning the World Series. Its so nice to see such creativity in Chicago's sports writing community.

Ol' No. 2
08-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Did you happen to notice the on-line poll yesterday?

"What do you make of the Sox being 17-18 in their last 35 games?"

It's a precursor to a quick exit: 48%
It's a small hiccup in a great season: 26%
Not sure what to expect: 27%

The accompanying story today has the following headline:

Skid has Sox fans worried

Of course, we all know that the large majority of the 48% were Cubs fans hoping against hope that the Sox fail.

cheeses_h_rice
08-19-2005, 04:41 PM
The accompanying story today has the following headline:

Skid has Sox fans worried

They didn't happen to interview ChiSoxBob for this article, did they?

:)

Ol' No. 2
08-19-2005, 04:42 PM
They didn't happen to interview ChiSoxBob for this article, did they?

:)Maybe he's the one who voted 1726 times.