PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

starboy0
08-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Good article putting things in perspective:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050818morrissey,1,7778464.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

MisterB
08-19-2005, 09:39 AM
All I can say is Morrisey must be lurking the boards here. He's spot on with this one:

What you're saying by your hand-wringing is that not only are you skeptical of the Sox now but that you haven't really bought into what they've been selling all season.

Any sane person comparing the first four months of the Sox season to their August performance sees that they're in a serious offensive slump right now. It isn't that "the Sox were overacheiving" or "their hitting was always bad and now the pitching has come back down to earth". The only real difference between now and then is that they're scoring 1-1.5 runs per game less than before. That's it.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Any sane person comparing the first four months of the Sox season to their August performance sees that they're in a serious offensive slump right now. It isn't that "the Sox were overacheiving" or "their hitting was always bad and now the pitching has come back down to earth". The only real difference between now and then is that they're scoring 1-1.5 runs per game less than before. That's it.But they aren't even trying to play the same way now. Where are the bunts, where are the hit-and-runs, where is the hitting behind the runner? They've abandoned everything that was working, and it's not just because Podsednik is out, either. They're all trying to do too much, and as a result aren't doing enough.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2005, 12:10 AM
It started around the middle of July when they used three late home run's to beat Detroit in that Monday home game. After that it's been nothing but swing from the heels and station to station baseball. The results were predictable just look at 2001 through 2004.

And Ozzie is partly responsible. He continues to use that dog Perez at lead off instead of Iguchi or Rowand. And that bench hasn't helped very much either. Blum? Perez? Ozuna? Those are mediocre has been's, not quality back up's, that teams badly need to sustain them over these type of periods. For that lack of depth, Williams has to be held accountable.

Lip

samram
08-20-2005, 12:15 AM
But they aren't even trying to play the same way now. Where are the bunts, where are the hit-and-runs, where is the hitting behind the runner? They've abandoned everything that was working, and it's not just because Podsednik is out, either. They're all trying to do too much, and as a result aren't doing enough.

I agree with this. I think everyone hitting below Pods and Iguchi is trying to replace Frank. When Frank was there, I think other guys felt if they just filled their own role, everything would be fine. It's incredible that a guy hitting .212 in the #3 hole could have that positive an impact on a team.