PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi should be the back-up leadoff guy

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Iguchi had definitely been our most solid hitter this year, so I think he should be the one leading off in Podesdnik's absence. I know I don't speak for just myself in echoing the sentiments that Ozuna and Timo should not be leading off at all. I'm fully aware that the leadoff spot is a higher pressure spot than the #2 batter; however, Iguchi's an experienced hitter who doesn't seem to let any pressure get to him. It would be nice if Ozzie could at least TRY this out to see how it works out...

JRIG
08-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Iguchi had definitely been our most solid hitter this year, so I think he should be the one leading off in Podesdnik's absence. I know I don't speak for just myself in echoing the sentiments that Ozuna and Timo should not be leading off at all. I'm fully aware that the leadoff spot is a higher pressure spot than the #2 batter; however, Iguchi's an experienced hitter who doesn't seem to let any pressure get to him. It would be nice if Ozzie could at least TRY this out to see how it works out...

Well, it certainly shouldn't be Timo Perez or Pablo Ozuna. I'd be willign to give Rowand a shot there too, especially against LHP.

Madvora
08-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Ozzie must just be scared to give it a shot. Iguchi has been so damn good in that number 2 hole that Guillen probably doesn't want him to change his approach as a lead off hitter. He's probably worried that it will effect him when he goes back to number 2.

I think it's stupid, but that what I'm guessing the reason is.

MsSoxVixen22
08-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Good ideas guys. I think Gooch or Rowand would be great choices. Timo isn't too bad but he shouldn't be in the outfield or leading off. Let him pinch hit/run for someone later in the game. Ozuna...I'm not a big fan of his. I would say, let Rowand lead off, then Gooch.

infohawk
08-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Good ideas guys. I think Gooch or Rowand would be great choices. Timo isn't too bad but he shouldn't be in the outfield or leading off. Let him pinch hit/run for someone later in the game. Ozuna...I'm not a big fan of his. I would say, let Rowand lead off, then Gooch.

I was thinking that Tadahito could lead off and Rowand could bat second. Wasn't Aaron pretty effective out of the two-hole a year or two ago? Regardless, Tadahito's bat control would be very useful in the lead-off spot until Pods returns.

DarkCloudDropo
08-19-2005, 09:03 AM

Just my opinion, but I think Iguchi should have been the leadoff man all along.
I don't think Pods is a particularly good leadoff guy. I'd have him down at the other end of the order.
Iguchi wouldn't k nearly as much, he's fast and can steal a base, he can give you the occasional lead off one run lead. Rowand should have been batting second all along as he's great there. Check his 2nd in the order avg.

Madvora
08-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Just my opinion, but I think Iguchi should have been the leadoff man all along.
I don't think Pods is a particularly good leadoff guy. I'd have him down at the other end of the order.
Iguchi wouldn't k nearly as much, he's fast and can steal a base, he can give you the occasional lead off one run lead. Rowand should have been batting second all along as he's great there. Check his 2nd in the order avg.
I don't know about that. The Podsednik-Iguchi 1-2 punch is a huge reason for our record this year. There would be no reason to think this isn't working. They'd propbably still do well reversed because they're both good players, but not better than the way it is.
Another reason is because the 2 guy is used more for sacrifices. You wouldn't want a guy who can steal 80 something bases to be off the bases that much.

DarkCloudDropo
08-19-2005, 09:53 AM
I don't know about that. The Podsednik-Iguchi 1-2 punch is a huge reason for our record this year. There would be no reason to think this isn't working. They'd propbably still do well reversed because they're both good players, but not better than the way it is.
Another reason is because the 2 guy is used more for sacrifices. You wouldn't want a guy who can steal 80 something bases to be off the bases that much.

Read again. I never said to bat Pods second.

skobabe8
08-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Id really like to see #15 batting #1. He made the adjustment coming into this year from batting 3rd in Japan to the number 2 hole without a hitch, and theres nothing to suggest that putting him first for a couple of weeks would throw him off. It would give him the oppurtunity to swing away without having to give himself up and could get him on a tear.

StockdaleForVeep
08-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Gooch has stated it took him a while to get used to number 2 cuz in japan he was a 3-4 hitter and drove in runs. Why move him this late in the season

Ol' No. 2
08-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Iguchi is ideally suited to bat #2. His bat control and solid fundamental hitting would be wasted batting leadoff. My choice would be to go with Rowand. It's not a good choice, mind you, but the best available.

MIgrenade
08-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Iguchi is ideally suited to bat #2. His bat control and solid fundamental hitting would be wasted batting leadoff. My choice would be to go with Rowand. It's not a good choice, mind you, but the best available.

I don't think so. I think you'd have a lead off hitter would got on more often and if all you want is for the 2 hitter to bunt then Timo or Pablo can do that. Iguchi can also steal bases if he has the chance. Giving Iguchi the chance to hit for himself would really help this team right now.

The Dude
08-19-2005, 02:52 PM
:walnuts

"Whoa whoa...you mean I can't leadoff guys???"

:timo:
"No chance PK, I wash Ozzie's and KW's car every day to earn this spot!"

Ol' No. 2
08-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't think so. I think you'd have a lead off hitter would got on more often and if all you want is for the 2 hitter to bunt then Timo or Pablo can do that. Iguchi can also steal bases if he has the chance. Giving Iguchi the chance to hit for himself would really help this team right now.Read closely. I never mentioned bunting. There's a hell of a lot more to hitting #2 than bunting.

Iguchi might get on more often all right, but he'd wind up staying there.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-19-2005, 03:30 PM
No, I'd like to see Iguchi in a RBI position. If we unleash him, he may shock all of us with his production. I say #3 for Iguchi while Pods is out. Once Pods returns, we probably go back the lineup that got us to 35 games over .500.

StockdaleForVeep
08-19-2005, 08:02 PM
No, I'd like to see Iguchi in a RBI position. If we unleash him, he may shock all of us with his production. I say #3 for Iguchi while Pods is out. Once Pods returns, we probably go back the lineup that got us to 35 games over .500.

Then who we bat ahead of him to get onbase for him to score some runs

I dont wanna see opposite field solo shots anymore

TomBradley72
08-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Iguchi's a veteran...and I don't necessarily think the difference between batting #1 and #2 is so huge that is would mess with his swing. The next 10 days (until Pods gets back) are critical...we don't need to go on a huge run....but we need to go at least 5-5 and cip away at our magic number. It's time for a change. Without Pods...this is basically the 2004 WSox (but without CLeee in addition to no Maggs and Frank). On offense, we're slow, we don't hit for average, and we have average power.