PDA

View Full Version : Another cheap shot at Frank in Cubune

A_ROW33
08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
On the back page (p10) they point out how Tiger Woods did not stay for the finish of the PGA champoinship. They then point out some other athletes who left early at various events. They include Sammy leaving before the end of a game last year, Ricky Williams being absent all of last year, and Scottie Pippen being absent for the final play in a Bulls playoff game.
Yet they threw in Frank Thomas leaving early in the 95 all star game.
Placing Thomas's incident with the others previously mentioned is nearly criminal. It was an exhibition, an exhibition which Pedro Martinez misses completely with regularity.
Whereas Williams, Pippen, and Sammy hurt the teams that they have signed contracts with, the cubune goes out of it's way to lump Frank's minor infraction with some of the most detrimental decisions by players in modern sports history.

If someone has a link to this story it would be much appreciated.

It's Time
08-18-2005, 06:18 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/cs-0508180219aug18,1,3537858.story?coll=cs-sports-print

3. Frank Thomas

After hitting a two-run homer in the 1995 All-Star Game, Thomas left Texas early to catch a flight back to Chicago and sleep in his own bed. He was roundly criticized for leaving the game instead of rooting for his AL teammates. "The press people made a big deal out of it to put him in a bad light," manager Terry Bevington said at the time.

skobabe8
08-18-2005, 06:33 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/cs-0508180219aug18,1,3537858.story?coll=cs-sports-print

3. Frank Thomas

After hitting a two-run homer in the 1995 All-Star Game, Thomas left Texas early to catch a flight back to Chicago and sleep in his own bed. He was roundly criticized for leaving the game instead of rooting for his AL teammates. "The press people made a big deal out of it to put him in a bad light," manager Terry Bevington said at the time.

I'm sure Frank was the only all-star ever to do this. He was the first, and without doubt, the last.

(teal)

MarySwiss
08-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Well, here's an objective article!

I'm surprised the writer even mentioned that Frank left "after hitting a two-run homer."

I don't know who wrote this, but for future reference, I urge him to avoid using bankrupt phrases such as "the final straw." Okay, he only used it twice, but that was in the first two paragraphs. And if he's making a point, then he should have added that the behaviors in the rest of the cases cited were "not the final straw."

Cases in point: Frank's "transgression" was 10 years ago, but I believe he is still on the team.

Pippen's "transgression" was 11 years ago and was far from a "final straw." IIRC, that was the first of the Jordan-less seasons, and Pippen had a lot to do with the Bulls even making the playoffs. And it certainly did not signal the end of his Bulls career.

Randy Moss and Ricky Williams? No Chicago connection. What's his point?

And Jon Rauch? Let's reach a bit, shall we? What is he even doing in this article?

Sheesh!

And I wonder why the writer didn't point out that the Flubs leave the season early pretty much every year?

Frater Perdurabo
08-18-2005, 09:42 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Frank left the All Star game so he could make it back to Chicago because the Sox were playing the very next day; that the Sox apparently did not have the customary Wednesday off after the All-Star game on Tuesday. Is this correct, or am I just :smokin: ?

HotelWhiteSox
08-18-2005, 09:51 PM
I remember years ago they showed the AL Clubhouse years ago in the middle of one of the AllStar Games, many of the players who were already used had already showered and were in suits. There were also some just coming in after being subbed for and getting ready to shower or just relaxing on the sofa. I doubt that much support was showed for games that meant nothing, the players did their club hopping or hanging out the nights before. These players don't get the break the others do, I have no problem with Frank leaving early, the Chicago media sure does hate this guy, one of the best baseball players in Chicago history (if not Major League), which is multiplied times 10 with all the steroid crap coming out

daveeym
08-19-2005, 11:50 AM
What I find funniest about all the Frank bashing is that he played all of 30 games this year and is done for the year. Until this season is over, Frank is such a non story it's not even funny yet they regularly take shots at him to further their assault on the sox.

Harris=God
08-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Tomorrow there will probably be another list that will bash Sox pitcher James Baldwin for leaving the all star game early, to be there for the birth of his baby.

PaulDrake
08-19-2005, 03:25 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Frank left the All Star game so he could make it back to Chicago because the Sox were playing the very next day; that the Sox apparently did not have the customary Wednesday off after the All-Star game on Tuesday. Is this correct, or am I just :smokin: ? I looked it up on retrosheet.org and the Sox did indeed have a game with Milwaukee on Wednesday July 12, one day after the All Star game. So keep smokin' that stuff whatever it is, your brain still works fine. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I looked it up on retrosheet.org and the Sox did indeed have a game with Milwaukee on Wednesday July 12, one day after the All Star game.

You're ****ing kidding me, right? The Sox played a game with Milwaukee the very next day after the all-star game? And Frank left early so he could be back home in Chicago before midnight the day of their next game? And now 10 years later he is still getting raked over the coals as a miscreant by the Chicago Tribune?

It sort of puts a whole new perspective on the story, doesn't it? Gee I'm sooooo surprised the Cubune missed that angle, too.

:giantsnail

Cowhead418
08-19-2005, 04:09 PM
You're ****ing kidding me, right? The Sox played a game with Milwaukee the very next day after the all-star game? And Frank left early so he could be back home in Chicago before midnight the day of their next game? And now 10 years later he is still getting raked over the coals as a miscreant by the Chicago Tribune?

It sort of puts a whole new perspective on the story, doesn't it? Gee I'm sooooo surprised the Cubune missed that angle, too.

:giantsnail
We really should e-mail them about this because that was just ridiculous. Frank getting bashed for leaving early so he could sleep before a game the next day is so wrong it's not even remotely funny. It's s*** like this that could hurt Frank's chances at the HOF and it just continues to hurt the Sox image in the public eye.:angry: