PDA

View Full Version : Buerle's balk

ChiSoxRowand
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Did anyone see a good replay of it? I couldn't tell if he stepped toward the plate from the views I saw. It was a big play in the game.

balke
08-18-2005, 04:45 PM
We scored 1 run all game. Buehrle already gave up 2 HR's to LECROY! That balk meant NOTHING.

CHIsoxNation
08-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Did anyone see a good replay of it? I couldn't tell if he stepped toward the plate from the views I saw. It was a big play in the game.

IMO, it didn't look like he stepped any further than he normally does. It's really the umpires discretion. I used to pitch and I am left handed, there are some umpires that will let you get away with that 45 degree angle and some that won't. I'm sure it could have went either way. He didn't go far enough towards the plate to make it obvious, which is usually when the ump calls it.

The Dude
08-18-2005, 05:22 PM

Who's Buerle?? Is he related to Loiaza??

RallyBowl
08-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Who's Buerle??

Nice.

soltrain21
08-18-2005, 05:24 PM
We scored 1 run all game. Buehrle already gave up 2 HR's to LECROY! That balk meant NOTHING.

That isn't ENTIRELY true. The difference between a 2 run game and a 4 run game is big.

thepaulbowski
08-18-2005, 06:17 PM

It did change the complexion of the game. To say the balk meant nothing isn't true. You can try manufacture runs differently in a 1-2 run game than a 3-4 run game. Granted last night Santana was lights out and they probably couldn't have done anything any better in a different situation.

ChicagoHoosier
08-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Hawk seemed to not argue with the call too much. And either he or DJ mentioned there is a good reason he picks so many guys off. It's one thing to have a good move, but as others have posted, he may be pushing the envelope just a tad too much and got called on it this time.

I whole-heartedly agree that it changed the complexion of the game. Being down 2-0 and getting out of that inning (possibly) and only allowing the two Lecroy homers makes it a tight game. 5-0 is a completely different situation. I'm not saying that if he'd picked the guy off, no more runs would have scored, because I don't believe that was the 3rd out, but pitching wtih two outs and one baserunner is very different than one out, letting the guy score from third, and putting the guy on first into scoring position.

So, yes, it did make a difference. But didn't cost us the game by any stretch.

johnny bench
08-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Let's put aside the question of whether or not he balked. More important was that MB uncharacteristically lost his cool as a result of the call. He stalked around the mound and flung the rosin bag onto the mound, then kicked it into the grass between the mound and second base. I believe that two pitches later Minnesota stole third. Talk about twisting the knife! Couple of batters later the game was over.

Even Mark realized it. Start of the next inning he kind of sheepishly picked up the rosin bag and tossed it onto the mound.

StockdaleForVeep
08-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Didnt MB have an issue with this last year too?