PDA

View Full Version : Why does Greg Walker get a free pass???

captain54
08-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I haven't heard one mention anywhere of Greg Walker and where his failure as the hitting instructor has contributed to this massive offensive funk....

also, earlier in the year I heard him in a radio interview saying "this is a different type of team this year, the fans are going to have to get used to a less explosive offensive output"...

if that's the case, then why have a hitting coach?? there are guys in this lineup that look like they are overmatched in every single at bat....

something is really wrong here....

WizardofOZ
08-18-2005, 04:01 PM
He's very good at teaching our batters how to pop out.

HotelWhiteSox
08-18-2005, 04:11 PM
if that's the case, then why have a hitting coach?? there are guys in this lineup that look like they are overmatched in every single at bat....

to help them hit in the .200s rather than .000. It's not that great a lineup, he can't work miracles. Dye has exceeded expectations of those on the board, PK has his power numbers, Crede has a bad back, Pods had better numbers than last year. Everett has been good. Iguchi has been great. Uribe swings at everything so I'm not surprised by his numbers. AJ has the best power numbers he's had, average is down I suppose. The big disappointment for me would be Rowand. I hate blaming hitting coaches though, they can't get in the batters box and live the atbat, and I doubt bringing anyone else in would help. We've seen success from Walker in the past so I think people trust him

Madvora
08-18-2005, 04:12 PM
He gets a free pass because they're 30 games over .500. Why would they go firing coaches when the team is doing that well?

This is the only time this season that the team has slumped and look at how late in the season we are.

The hitting has not been outstanding this year, but that's just because we don't have outstanding hitters.

LVSoxFan
08-18-2005, 04:27 PM
I thought the same thing after a couple of games where we were lucky to get a hit or score a run: who is coaching these guys? And who is scouting opposing pitchers?

Here's what I want to know: I know, you know, Hawk knows, DJ knows, hell even Nancy knows that Uribe swings at every goddurn thing that comes across the plate--high, low, in the dirt... it don't matter.

So at what point does Ozzy or Walker say: "Hey! Uribe! Suficiente! No necesitas swing at everything, you chucklehead!"

I mean, this guy was our best hitter first half last season. Remember his hitting streak?

Since we're on the subject of hitting (and I'm rant-prone now because I'm bitter), when was the last time you saw somebody hit an opposite-field single on our team? That was like our hallmark in the early season. Now it's popouts and double play balls. What happened?

Juice16
08-18-2005, 04:39 PM
He's very good at teaching our batters how to pop out.

these same hitters popped out before he got here. to me its obvious these guys don't listen.

balke
08-18-2005, 04:40 PM
I think one of the mods wanted him gone in the offseason. I would assume if we fail in the playoffs, he may get the finger pointed his way.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-18-2005, 05:08 PM
it looks like we're swinging for the fences again and not the singles/doubles

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-18-2005, 05:12 PM
b/c he plays a large role in Kittles new book.

RallyBowl
08-18-2005, 05:19 PM
I haven't heard one mention anywhere of Greg Walker and where his failure as the hitting instructor has contributed to this massive offensive funk....

also, earlier in the year I heard him in a radio interview saying "this is a different type of team this year, the fans are going to have to get used to a less explosive offensive output"...

Valid points. While I would be the last one to complain right now, he is kind of getting a free pass. The only 2 guys I think he should be spending a lot of extra time with is uribe and crede. However, I have heard him or ozzie say that uribe has been that way his whole life and thay don't want him to change, and walker has had a few seasons with crede and we haven't seen any change in him. Maybe there is just nothing he can do for the only 2 guys on our team who need to learn how to hit.

deck27
08-18-2005, 06:09 PM

Kenny mentioned this the other day as well, that we're giving up on the middle of the field. Let Paulie swing for LF, but these other guys need to take what the pitchers are gving them.

thepaulbowski
08-18-2005, 06:13 PM

So we should start firing people on a team that is in first place & 30 games over .500? Sure makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-18-2005, 06:22 PM

The only thing "wrong" is your logic.

The 2005 Sox are not a good hitting team and are presently missing two key bats: Podsednik leading off and Thomas in #3. Stop pretending this team is some sort of offensive juggernaut; it's not. The hitting coach has **** to work with right now and it's not his fault.

Back in 2000-04 the Sox might have been able to weather losing a pair of offensive cogs, but not this team. Those teams were built on offense, but not this one. The '00-'04 Sox tried to out-slug the other team, but not this one.

This team is built on pitching, pitching enough to overcome a very MEDIOCRE offense -- and that's assuming our hitters are healthy, which they aren't right now.

All the knuckleheads from six weeks ago fretting over our pitching staff need to step forward and eat crow for how foolish they look now. This team has needed another bat for months, but only some of us have been pointing it out for the rest of you.

Daver
08-18-2005, 06:23 PM
I think one of the mods wanted him gone in the offseason. I would assume if we fail in the playoffs, he may get the finger pointed his way.

Actually, I didn't want him hired in the first place.

GoGoSoxReborn
08-18-2005, 06:26 PM
I have lurked on this board for a few years and this is probably one of the dumbest threads I have ever read.

What is Greg Walker supposed to do, get in the box and hit for them? The team is in a slump, get over it. Remember last year when we would go into week long slumps once a month. This year we have played nearly perfect up till now.

Tadahito, Pods, Dye, AJ, and Carl, have all met or exceeded expectations. Paulie looks more confident then ever, even without Frank in front of him.

Arrow has hit well, but struggled for power.

And as for Crede and Uribe... as the saying goes... you can't make chicken salad with chicken ****.

Chips
08-18-2005, 06:27 PM
to help them hit in the .200s rather than .000. It's not that great a lineup, he can't work miracles. Dye has exceeded expectations of those on the board, PK has his power numbers, Crede has a bad back, Pods had better numbers than last year. Everett has been good. Iguchi has been great. Uribe swings at everything so I'm not surprised by his numbers. AJ has the best power numbers he's had, average is down I suppose. The big disappointment for me would be Rowand. I hate blaming hitting coaches though, they can't get in the batters box and live the atbat, and I doubt bringing anyone else in would help. We've seen success from Walker in the past so I think people trust him

Usually he does, but the first two games against Minnesota, it seemed like Uribe had 3 balls on him quite a few times. But he needs to do this every game.

Letmehearya
08-18-2005, 06:28 PM
PaleHoseGeorge hit it on the head - we haven't replaced Thomas. Carl Everett will not be hitting 3d for a WS Champ. Greg Walker will be gone when he decides. JR is loyal to a fault with his employees. Walt Hriniak anyone? The guy tried to turn Sosa into a singles hitter and he stuck around for years.

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Usually he does, but the first two games against Minnesota, it seemed like Uribe had 3 balls on him quite a few times. But he needs to do this every game.http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0508180240aug18,1,5974141.story?coll=cs-baseball-print

Trav
08-18-2005, 06:43 PM
PaleHoseGeorge hit it on the head - we haven't replaced Thomas. Carl Everett will not be hitting 3d for a WS Champ. Greg Walker will be gone when he decides. JR is loyal to a fault with his employees. Walt Hriniak anyone? The guy tried to turn Sosa into a singles hitter and he stuck around for years.

Silly Hriniak for not giving SoSo his flintstones pills.

As mentioned, Hriniak has been helping Uribe with his selection and then drew a walk against Radke. That's gold in my book.

captain54
08-18-2005, 07:36 PM
I have lurked on this board for a few years and this is probably one of the dumbest threads I have ever read.

What is Greg Walker supposed to do, get in the box and hit for them? The team is in a slump, get over it. Remember last year when we would go into week long slumps once a month. This year we have played nearly perfect up till now.

Tadahito, Pods, Dye, AJ, and Carl, have all met or exceeded expectations. Paulie looks more confident then ever, even without Frank in front of him.

Arrow has hit well, but struggled for power.

And as for Crede and Uribe... as the saying goes... you can't make chicken salad with chicken ****.

Have you been watching any of the games this year???

the offense has been stalled since the last Cubs series, before the All Star break....in the last few weeks, I have seen more guys swing at bad pitches, leave men on base, fail to move guys over, fail to hit in the clutch, that my head is spinning....it's more than a slump...it's a continuation of some real bad fundamental baseball....

I'm not saying G Walker should be fired or replaced, I'm saying that I could be the Sox hitting coach and you probably wouldn't see much difference than you do now...

Walker will leave on his own terms simply because he has become a favorite son of Jerry Reinsdorf....earlier in the year, his statement that "we have a different type of team this year, get used to it, fans," tells me that what you see offensively is what you get, that, if we suck....oh well....deal with it...

MIgrenade
08-18-2005, 09:18 PM
chucklehead!

That's going in the act.

Railsplitter
08-19-2005, 10:29 AM

Exactly. In the last couple weeks, Sox homers come with the bases empty(or some with one on) but when there are two guys on base, it's usually a pop up. There is definately untimely hitting going on ou there.

Dan H
08-19-2005, 11:46 AM
The idea behind the '05 Sox was to be a more fundamental team that relied more on pitching and defense. I happened to agree with that though I worried that they didn't have enough pitching and defense. And though I was frustrated with the team slugging out over 200 homers a season and winning nothing, I aslo worried about losing both Lee and Ordonez and not having Thomas at the start of the season. That is a lot offense to lose.

I didn't expect the Sox to score a huge amount of runs this year. I hoped for pitching and defense to make it much easier by stopping the opposition. You don't need a '77 type offense if the pitching is keeping you in every game.

But now I think they need one more bat. I have given up on them getting Griffey though Griffey is exactly what they need at the moment. I am just hoping Podesnik could spark the team on his return.

White Sox Randy
08-19-2005, 11:54 AM
we don't have ANY great hitters. I must have missed all the batting titles that Uribe, Crede and the gang piled up before Walker got here.

We don't have even one great hitter in our lineup. That is why the Sox have not been getting respect from around the league and on sports talk shows etc.

Noone in our lineup is underperforming. That's what we have to work with.

Vernam
08-20-2005, 12:57 AM
As mentioned, Hriniak has been helping Uribe with his selection and then drew a walk against Radke. That's gold in my book.Absolutely -- the difference was noticeable even before the Trib story. If Uribe can stay disciplined, it will take the league a while to figure out he's not swinging at everything. He's going to start a lot of at bats 2-0 instead of 0-2, which has to get him better pitches to hit. I wanted to scream tonight when DJ was making excuses for them when Gordon was pitching, as if he's Goose Gossage. I don't care how good a guy's stuff is, if you're swinging at pitches out of the strike zone, you're getting yourself out. It's got very little to do with the pitcher. The last guy in the Yankees' pen could step up and succeed by throwing curveballs in the dirt, provided batters are dumb enough to swing at them.

I'll give Walker credit for not being threatened by Hriniak's being brought in. But I'm tired of Walker's hitters making the same mistakes over and over. For at least the past two years, Rowand has been unable to lay off of inside fastballs; watch how often the catcher sets up inside so Aaron can jam himself. His average would go up significantly, at least for a while, if he would just lay off that one pitch. Sure, teams would then figure a different way to get him out, but you can't just keep letting them get you out the same way. You have to force them to adjust. Ditto for Everrett and Pierzynski on the breaking balls low and inside. Other teams have scouted the Sox very well, and our guys have not made the necessary adjustments.

VC