PDA

View Full Version : The Glass is Half Full

skottyj242
08-18-2005, 02:25 PM
I have noticed that alot of people have been getting nervous over the last week or so, someong has even started an Indians game thread today. I for one think that maybe this might be the best thing for us is to get back into somewhat of a race and not limp into the postseason. I think we need to start a fire and play the way we did coming out of the gate. What does everyone else think?

itsnotrequired
08-18-2005, 02:31 PM
I have noticed that alot of people have been getting nervous over the last week or so, someong has even started an Indians game thread today. I for one think that maybe this might be the best thing for us is to get back into somewhat of a race and not limp into the postseason. I think we need to start a fire and play the way we did coming out of the gate. What does everyone else think?

Hear, hear! With the Indians win today, Sox now have a 10.5 game lead in the AL Central. Sox first had a lead of that magnitude back on JUNE 24TH!!! So here we are, nearly 8 weeks and 46 games later in the exact same spot. The rest of the AL central had 8 weeks to chip away and did squat.

captain54
08-18-2005, 02:51 PM
on the other side of the coin, after the Baltimore sweep, (August 2nd) the Sox had a 15 game lead...that's a loss of almost 5 games off the lead in a little over a couple of weeks....

at this pace, the lead could be down to 5 or 6 games come the first week of September.....

on the postive side, the schedule does seem to let up a bit, however, the majority of the games are against the Central...if the Sox continue the offensive funk, it's going to be difficult to beat the Royals, let alone the Twins, Indians, Tigers....

WizardofOZ
08-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Especially with Timo leading off

itsnotrequired
08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
on the other side of the coin, after the Baltimore sweep, (August 2nd) the Sox had a 15 game lead...that's a loss of almost 5 games off the lead in a little over a couple of weeks....

at this pace, the lead could be down to 5 or 6 games come the first week of September.....

on the postive side, the schedule does seem to let up a bit, however, the majority of the games are against the Central...if the Sox continue the offensive funk, it's going to be difficult to beat the Royals, let alone the Twins, Indians, Tigers....

Assuming a 5.5 game loss every 16 days, that would mean the Sox would drop out of first on September 19th. That's a long way off and does anyone here actually believe the Sox will continue to drop off at such a pace? The Sox would have to play .333 ball while the Twins/Indians play .666 ball...for over a month. Seems unlikely.

TaylorStSox
08-18-2005, 03:18 PM
We're a good team that's playing poorly. I don't think we were a bad team that was playing well through the first half.

Letmehearya
08-18-2005, 05:10 PM
The glass is without question half-full. Look at that line-up: Crede, Uribe and Dye are lucky if they're a combined 2 for 9. Why does Dye get a free pass? It's half full too because Cleveland and Minne play each other 6 more time. Neither is good/bad enough to win/lose them all. We also have 6 games left with KC. I think we're good for 4 there. The fact that we play Minne and Cleveland allows us to knock off 2 points with each win. I'm not excited at all about the playoffs, but our starters are to good and too experienced to completely collapse. We'll win the division by 7-8 games. Time to get off the ledge.

Infallible
08-18-2005, 05:11 PM
we're a good team with no hitting.

Letmehearya
08-19-2005, 07:23 AM
Infallible, You're absolutely right. Now I've been saying that all year. Our starters collectively are better than any starting staff in MLB. That's why we're winning. Imagine how good this team would be had Maggs taken the deal early last year and remained healthy. [Of course, JR might not have taken on Freddie's contract]

Bucky F. Dent
08-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Yeah, but we can't afford to go into the playoffs flat.

Its August, were knicked up, and far enough ahead to get a little lacksidaisical. I understand that. But as we head into the last forty games, we're gonna have to buckle down.

Otherwise we won't play many games in October.

I'll be damned if I have to see this incredible season go up in flames in the first round of the playoffs.

voodoochile
08-19-2005, 09:44 AM

Wrong ****ing Thread, Captain! :angry:

Sweet merciful crap... It's a 10.5 game lead with a little over 6 weeks to play and a bunch of important pieces banged up. Let the team get healthy and things will be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Sox play Boston real tough, winning a close game, losing another game by one? Didn't they lose a very tough series to Minnesota including a game they came back late to take the lead before failing in extra innnings when the bullpen ran out of steam when we hit the bottom of the barrel? Isn't Santana widely considered one of the best young pitchers in the game with an upside similar to Pedro Martinez?

Everyone knew this was going to be the roughest stretch of the year and the Sox hit it with no leadoff hitter and still it has become only the first time all year they lost more than 4 in a row.

No worries, the Yankees are coming that will be good for what ails us...

skottyj242
08-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I couldn't agree more VooDoo.

SSN721
08-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Assuming a 5.5 game loss every 16 days, that would mean the Sox would drop out of first on September 19th. That's a long way off and does anyone here actually believe the Sox will continue to drop off at such a pace? The Sox would have to play .333 ball while the Twins/Indians play .666 ball...for over a month. Seems unlikely.

Thats true. I am thinking most here are nervous more about how this team is playing when they go into the postseason more then the idea the division will be lost. It would take a collapse of gaussian proportions for the Sox to lose it at this point. I could accept the fact they could royally suck (literally and figuratively) for the rest of the year, but the odds of them doing that and then Cleveland and/or Minny keeping up a .650 pace or better would be quite low I think. Not a good chance of all those things happening at once.

cheeses_h_rice
08-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Wrong ****ing Thread, Captain! :angry:

Sweet merciful crap... It's a 10.5 game lead with a little over 6 weeks to play and a bunch of important pieces banged up. Let the team get healthy and things will be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Sox play Boston real tough, winning a close game, losing another game by one? Didn't they lose a very tough series to Minnesota including a game they came back late to take the lead before failing in extra innnings when the bullpen ran out of steam when we hit the bottom of the barrel? Isn't Santana widely considered one of the best young pitchers in the game with an upside similar to Pedro Martinez?

Everyone knew this was going to be the roughest stretch of the year and the Sox hit it with no leadoff hitter and still it has become only the first time all year they lost more than 4 in a row.

No worries, the Yankees are coming that will be good for what ails us...

But isn't it so much fun to mope around, ignore the Sox's double-digit lead, and wallow in doom and gloom?

itsnotrequired
08-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Thats true. I am thinking most here are nervous more about how this team is playing when they go into the postseason more then the idea the division will be lost. It would take a collapse of gaussian proportions for the Sox to lose it at this point. I could accept the fact they could royally suck (literally and figuratively) for the rest of the year, but the odds of them doing that and then Cleveland and/or Minny keeping up a .650 pace or better would be quite low I think. Not a good chance of all those things happening at once.

Right on. If the Sox are playing on October 1 in the same fashion they are playing now, I think all of us would be standing on the edge of a cliff. The fact that they are stuggling in the middle of August is not a real concern, especially with a 10+ game lead.

voodoochile
08-19-2005, 11:10 AM
But isn't it so much fun to mope around, ignore the Sox's double-digit lead, and wallow in doom and gloom?

OHMIGAWD! THE SOX LOST 4INAROW!!! AGGGGGHHHHHH!!! I HAVE TO FIND MY GUN AND GET IT LOADED SO I CAN BLOW MY HEAD OFF IF THEY LOSE FRIDAY!!!

:therapy:

captain54
08-19-2005, 11:47 AM
OHMIGAWD! THE SOX LOST 4INAROW!!! AGGGGGHHHHHH!!! I HAVE TO FIND MY GUN AND GET IT LOADED SO I CAN BLOW MY HEAD OFF IF THEY LOSE FRIDAY!!!

Good Lord, please!!! do me a favor and ease up on the "doom and gloom" and "dark cloud" bashing....we get the point.

When you've been following baseball for 30-40 years, you know that during a long season anything can happen...teams have lost big leads before in the history of the game....that's baseball...on the flip side, the Sox could win 10 in a row from now until the end and finish with a 15+ game lead....I guess that what makes it fun....the unpredictablility of it all...

so it's not being negative or positive....it's just an opinion from an observer of the game.....who happens to be a long time Sox fan

I think this season has been a surprise for everyone....including Ozzie/KW/JR....we are dealing in unchartered waters here....Pods could come back and the Sox could start tearing it up again, or he could come back and struggle along with all the other hitters until the end of the year, at which case, the team will be in some deep doo-doo....who knows??

skottyj242
08-19-2005, 02:51 PM

Should that be in teal?

I want Mags back
08-19-2005, 03:52 PM
All I know is I'm sick of my dad saying '69 Cubs after every loss. He's so pesstimistic about this team

Ol' No. 2
08-19-2005, 04:06 PM
A little perspective from, of all places, the Tribune.

From Rick Morrissey's column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050818morrissey,1,7778464.column?coll=cs-home-utility) today:
I don't like saying this, but you're forcing me to: You're acting very Cub fan-like.
What you're saying by your hand-wringing is that not only are you skeptical of the Sox now but that you haven't really bought into what they've been selling all season. You're saying you didn't think the Sox were for real when they were taking a scorched-earth approach to the American League in the first four months of the season.
Also, Tim McCarver seems to like the Sox' chances. From Teddy Greenstein's column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050818teddy,1,5514426.column?coll=cs-home-utility):
McCarver doesn't accept the notion that the Sox would be vulnerable in the playoffs against Oakland or Boston, against whom they're a combined 4-11.

"That doesn't matter," he said. "It's the playoffs, not the regular season. Things are not as predictable. There have been many examples of that through the years."

Here are McCarver's two favorites: In 1983 the Dodgers won 11 of 12 regular-season games against the Phillies. But Philadelphia, largely because of two dominant pitching performances by Steve Carlton, lost only once to Los Angeles in the National League Championship Series.

Five years later, the Mets owned the Dodgers in the regular season, going 10-1. But Orel Hershiser was all but unhittable in Game 7 of the 1988 NLCS, and the Dodgers prevailed over the Mets.

SoxSpeed22
08-19-2005, 04:23 PM
In January, when I joined, I never dreamed of us havin' a 10.5 game lead in mid-late August. I know this is a bad stretch, but once we get healthy and Griffey, everything should be fine. I'm not worried.

Chisox353014
08-19-2005, 04:57 PM
To put things in perspective, if the Sox play the last 44 games at .500, they finish 96-66. Cleveland would need to finish 31-10 (.756) just to tie that record. And as bad as it seems we've been playing since the All-Star break, we're still 2 games over .500 in that time. Cleveland has yet to be more than 11 games over .500 at any point this year. People need to relax.

TornLabrum
08-19-2005, 06:16 PM
A little perspective from, of all places, the Tribune.

From Rick Morrissey's column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050818morrissey,1,7778464.column?coll=cs-home-utility) today....

Morrissey is wrong. Cub-fan-like is thinking they have a chance at the Wild Card with their current position in the standings.