PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia 8/18/05

Hangar18
08-18-2005, 10:31 AM
The way our SOX are fading down the stretch, we dont deserve the coverage.
However, seeing that the Cubs have gotten so much more press, and having accomplished even less, I still insist the SOX are getting the shaft in this town

Cubune:
2 cub stories
3 sox stories
Cub-Times:
3 cub stories
5 sox stories

Standings since only 7/25

4th place, 3 games UNDER .500, ..........CUBS 191
1st place, 30 games OVER .500, ............. SOX 152

Goose
08-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Another interesting note, Hanger, is that the Sox are receiving "coverage" when they are in a slump. It seems that there have been more Sox stories as a result of their 5 game losing skid. Go back and look at the numbers when we were playing the Yankees. Winning 2 of 3 over them resulted in less coverage than the Cubs. Now, I have not gone back and looked at the numbers before the Yankees games, but I am fairly certain that the results are the same. Bottom line is that the 2 rags in this town are relishing in the fact that the Sox are in a bit of a slump, and therefore more Sox stories.

FielderJones
08-18-2005, 12:58 PM
I realize it would be harder to do, but would column-inches be a better measure than story count?

Not defending either newspaper, but when you use a big picture with your lead story, does that offset word count or story count?

Hangar18
08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Another interesting note, Hanger, is that the Sox are receiving "coverage" when they are in a slump. It seems that there have been more Sox stories as a result of their 5 game losing skid. Go back and look at the numbers when we were playing the Yankees. Winning 2 of 3 over them resulted in less coverage than the Cubs. Now, I have not gone back and looked at the numbers before the Yankees games, but I am fairly certain that the results are the same. Bottom line is that the 2 rags in this town are relishing in the fact that the Sox are in a bit of a slump, and therefore more Sox stories.

Good point! your absolutely right ....

mdep524
08-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Another interesting note, Hanger, is that the Sox are receiving "coverage" when they are in a slump. It seems that there have been more Sox stories as a result of their 5 game losing skid. Go back and look at the numbers when we were playing the Yankees. Winning 2 of 3 over them resulted in less coverage than the Cubs. Now, I have not gone back and looked at the numbers before the Yankees games, but I am fairly certain that the results are the same. Bottom line is that the 2 rags in this town are relishing in the fact that the Sox are in a bit of a slump, and therefore more Sox stories. ...and compare that to the Cubune's Cubs coverage. When they hit that 8-game losing streaks, all the game recaps and negative headlines were pushed to page three. Now that they've won a few games, the glowing headlines are on the front page. Whereas, as you pointed out, the Sox losses are highlighted more than their wins. Bias? No way. :rolleyes: