PDA

View Full Version : Guardado may be on Sox's radar?

chitown13
08-18-2005, 09:17 AM
"Seattle closer Eddie Guardado reportedly has cleared waivers, and according to a source in the Mariners organization, is being mentioned in a potential trade with the Sox."

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/181sd3.htm

Hey, this is a step at least...
Possible indications that perhaps KW is looking everywhere

Tekijawa
08-18-2005, 09:25 AM
I'd be happier if he were Under our radar.

08-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Can he hit too? :D:

It's Time
08-18-2005, 09:43 AM
It sure appears Hermanson is close to landing on the DL.

chitown13
08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Right, thats what I was thinking too. We definately need a bat but this wouldn't hurt. No names were mentioned though so I guess its back to the waiting game

harwar
08-18-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm wondering if this could turn into a big trade if the mariners include Ibanez in the deal along with Guardado.

chitown13
08-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Just thinking that too, if you go to the mariners boards, there is no mention of Eddie but there is a thread on Raul

Madvora
08-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Mercy! Out of nowhere too! I like this idea.

Any chance Vizquel is still available?

tweek57
08-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Guardado is going to cost you a hella lot in terms of talent. Seattel got Bazardo (Org. top 3 prospect) from the Marlins for Ron Villone who is a journeyman lefty reliever. The Mariners forced them to overpay for him and when the White Sox called about Villone the Marlins demanded McCarthy, I hate to think of what they'd want for their closer with 1 BS in 30 chances and a 1.29 ERA :o:.

kittle42
08-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Guardado is going to cost you a hella lot in terms of talent. Seattel got Bazardo (Org. top 3 prospect) from the Marlins for Ron Villone who is a journeyman lefty reliever. The Mariners forced them to overpay for him and when the White Sox called about Villone the Marlins demanded McCarthy, I hate to think of what they'd want for their closer with 1 BS in 30 chances and a 1.29 ERA :o:.

Give 'em the farm, I say!

tweek57
08-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Give 'em the farm, I say!
For a 35 year old pitcher with a partially torn rotator cuff? You can't make one-sided trades like that just because you want to "go for it all" this year. McCarthy + another prospect does not = Guardado.

chitown13
08-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Would McCarthy and 2 prospects = Ibanez AND Guardado???

tweek57
08-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Would McCarthy and 2 prospects = Ibanez AND Guardado???
First of all it depends on the other 2 prospects. I would assume they'd want Young as one of them and then a lower level prospect as the third. At that point you have to decide how much Raul Ibanez' 2 less HRs + 30 more points on his BA + 30 points on his OPS is an upgrade over Everett. IMO the Sox two of the organizations top 3 prospects are not worth a slight upgrade over Everett and Guardado.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2005, 11:34 AM
If I'm not mistaken, McCarthy is on the 40 man roster so he must clear waivers to be traded...not going to happen.

tweek57
08-18-2005, 11:37 AM
If I'm not mistaken, McCarthy is on the 40 man roster so he must clear waivers to be traded...not going to happen.
Find me a source that says a player on the 40 man roster must clear waivers. I really haven't been able to find it anywhere.

mdep524
08-18-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm wondering if this could turn into a big trade if the mariners include Ibanez in the deal along with Guardado. :drool:

Any chance Vizquel is still available? Also deserves a :drool:. I'm still hoping Vizquel is available. Getting two of these guys would be as big as getting Griffey, IMO.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2005, 11:59 AM
http://kmbumb.people.wm.edu/roster/glossary.html

scroll down to waivers

Nothing specifically says "All on the 40 man roster must clear waivers to be traded"...but it does say that all Major League players must clear...it also says that a player on the 40 man roster must clear waivers to be removed from the 40 man roster after July 31...this is not the case prior.

Again, I am not positive about this...which is why I prefaced my previous statement with.."if i'm not mistaken"...but when a player is added to the 40 man roster, his contract is purchased by the major league club...so for all purposes he is a major league player. This and the fact that he must pass waivers to be removed from the 40 man roster leads me to believe that people on the 40 man roster cannot be traded before passing through waivers.

If someone has a better link please provide.

Jjav829
08-18-2005, 12:02 PM

Steve Phillips Insider article this past Friday (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=phillips_steve&id=2130379&contentType=insider)

For those that aren't subscribers:

Players can change teams one of three ways during this time of year
1. A player is claimed on waivers and the team awarded the claim makes a trade with the other club. Remember, all 40-man roster players must go through waivers in order to change teams even if they are in the minor leagues. So timing is critical when teams are moving players back and forth.

tweek57
08-18-2005, 12:04 PM
http://kmbumb.people.wm.edu/roster/glossary.html

scroll down to waivers

Nothing specifically says "All on the 40 man roster must clear waivers to be traded"...but it does say that all Major League players must clear...it also says that a player on the 40 man roster must clear waivers to be removed from the 40 man roster after July 31...this is not the case prior.

Again, I am not positive about this...which is why I prefaced my previous statement with.."if i'm not mistaken"...but when a player is added to the 40 man roster, his contract is purchased by the major league club...so for all purposes he is a major league player. This and the fact that he must pass waivers to be removed from the 40 man roster leads me to believe that people on the 40 man roster cannot be traded before passing through waivers.

Actually that is the case before July 31st, think Kris Honel. Any player on the 40 man roster that is outrighted off of the 40 must first clear procedral waivers before being outrighted off the 40.

I'm really not sure about the 40 man roster waiver clearing procedure when comes to trades in Aug. either. As of 3 days ago I was in the same boat as you that any player on the 40 must clear waivers before being traded but with all the new information flying around, I'm really not so sure anymore.

tweek57
08-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Steve Phillips Insider article this past Friday (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=phillips_steve&id=2130379&contentType=insider)

For those that aren't subscribers:
:D: OK, then according to Steve Phillips my original feelings were correct. This would explain why I've been thinking for the past 3 weeks that Rogo would have to clear waivers before going to Cincy (which he wouldn't). This would pretty much make any Guardado trade impossible.

chitown13
08-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Any thoughts on possibly who the Sox sent through the Waiver process and cleared though?

balke
08-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Are you sure we're not trying to get Reed back in the deal?

Seattle must be obsessed with our prospects. I'd love to have Guardado on the team. The bullpen would be near flawless.

scottjanssens
08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Find me a source that says a player on the 40 man roster must clear waivers. I really haven't been able to find it anywhere.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

"(3) They can trade him to another team, even if the so-called "trading deadline" has passed. Any trades made after July 31 may only involve players who have cleared waivers."

Chisox003
08-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Are you sure we're not trying to get Reed back in the deal?

Seattle must be obsessed with our prospects. I'd love to have Guardado on the team. The bullpen would be near flawless.

Ya, but where would he pitch?

:tongue:

Jjav829
08-18-2005, 12:20 PM
FWIW, Gammons list of waiver players the other day had Guardado as being claimed and withdrawn. Cowley has Guardado as having cleared waivers. Someone is off with their information here.

chitownhawkfan
08-18-2005, 12:22 PM
For a 35 year old pitcher with a partially torn rotator cuff? You can't make one-sided trades like that just because you want to "go for it all" this year. McCarthy + another prospect does not = Guardado.

I agree, mortgage the future. If it means one championship it will be worth it. Even if McCarthy becomes a twenty game winner I would trade him in a minute if I thought that it could help in the playoffs.

Soxzilla
08-18-2005, 12:39 PM
FWIW, Gammons list of waiver players the other day had Guardado as being claimed and withdrawn. Cowley has Guardado as having cleared waivers. Someone is off with their information here.

They are probably both wrong.

And no...I'm not being sarcastic.

:rolleyes:

JUribe1989
08-18-2005, 12:52 PM
The trade isn't worth it if we just get Guardado. We would have to get Guardado and Ibanez. We don't need another reliever. We need another bat.

CHIsoxNation
08-18-2005, 12:57 PM
The trade isn't worth it if we just get Guardado. We would have to get Guardado and Ibanez. We don't need another reliever. We need another bat.

I think a trade gor Guardado would be well worth it considering Hermanson's back issues. You don't know how well Jenks will do under pressure or in a playoff game. I would love to get some more experience at the back end of the pen. That will give us the chance to sit Hermanson for a while and see how much he gets better.

However, I would LOVE to see a deal for both Guardado and Ibanez. But Guardado would still he a nice addition.

mdep524
08-18-2005, 12:57 PM
The trade isn't worth it if we just get Guardado. We would have to get Guardado and Ibanez. We don't need another reliever. We need another bat. Well, if KW is seriously pursuing Guardado (which I'm not convinced he is), it could be a sign that Hermanson's back is worse then we're led to believe.

JUribe1989
08-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Well, if KW is seriously pursuing Guardado (which I'm not convinced he is), it could be a sign that Hermanson's back is worse then we're led to believe.

Even so, we can use Cotts or Jenks as a cloer for the time being. We need a bat much more than another pitcher.

mdep524
08-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Even so, we can use Cotts or Jenks as a cloer for the time being. We need a bat much more than another pitcher. I am a big fan of Cotts and Jenks, but they are not ready to be closers in the playoffs.

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I am a big fan of Cotts and Jenks, but they are not ready to be closers in the playoffs.From what I've seen of Jenks, I'd have no problem sending him out in any situation. He seems completely fearless. I don't think he's going to buckle in the playoffs.

balke
08-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I am a big fan of Cotts and Jenks, but they are not ready to be closers in the playoffs.

Sox can pitch Cotts wherever they want for all I care, the guy's been amazing all season.

I would imagine if someone had to take over the closer role, it would be Politte or possibly Marte since Ozzie seems to like him in that situation.

mdep524
08-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Sox can pitch Cotts wherever they want for all I care, the guy's been amazing all season.

I would imagine if someone had to take over the closer role, it would be Politte or possibly Marte since Ozzie seems to like him in that situation. Marte would not make a good closer. In fact, I trust Hermy, Politte, Cotts and Jenks in any situation over Marte. I would say Politte is too valuable as a set up man to move him to closer.

I think Cotts or Jenks would make solid closers eventually, but the 2005 playoffs is not the time to experiment. Plus, even if they do excel in their new role, that makes one less arm for middle relief. Would you like to see Adkins in the 7th inning of a playoff game? :o:

Cowhead418
08-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Would you like to see Adkins in the 7th inning of a playoff game? :o:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:wired: :mg: :cower: :thud: :nuts:

FielderJones
08-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Would you like to see Adkins in the 7th inning of a playoff game? :o:

:smokin:
Adkins won't be within a country mile of the 25 man roster come October.

SABRSox
08-18-2005, 02:59 PM
From what I've seen of Jenks, I'd have no problem sending him out in any situation. He seems completely fearless. I don't think he's going to buckle in the playoffs.

Jenks is a stud. I'll take him in the 9th of a Game 7 in the playoffs.

MushMouth
08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
:smokin:

no doubt

Contreras and Duque will move to the Pen... We'll have a pretty impressive crew of pitchers ready to go. Just pray for our offense if we can't make a move.

I'm personally just waiting for Dye to get back on a hot streak, we could really use it.

BeviBall!
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Well, if KW is seriously pursuing Guardado (which I'm not convinced he is), it could be a sign that Hermanson's back is worse then we're led to believe.

The pitch Cuddyer hit out sure makes you think so.

Lip Man 1
08-18-2005, 03:57 PM

Remember 2000? Remember Josh Paul and Chad Bradford on the playoff roster? (Shudder...)

Goofier things have happened. (Shudder...)

Lip

BeviBall!
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM

Remember 2000? Remember Josh Paul and Chad Bradford on the playoff roster? (Shudder...)

Lip

Is Timo Perez this years Mark Johnson?

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 04:20 PM

LipYou need only 4 starters in playoff competition, so there's absolutely no need to carry 12 pitchers. I can't think of any team that has done so.

Jjav829
08-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Look like Cowley is wrong.

Guardado still a Mariner

A published report from Chicago claiming Seattle closer Eddie Guardado cleared waivers and was thus a trade target of the White Sox apparently is wrong on both counts.

Guardado reportedly did not clear waivers, but was claimed, then pulled back off the waiver wire by the Mariners, which means he cannot be traded.

It is an indication that the White Sox, who would be last in line to get a claimed player because they have the best record in the American League, were not the team, or at least the only team, to put in a claim for the left-hander.

Link (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2002445307_marinotes19.html)

Reports in Chicago that the White Sox are working on a deal to acquire closer Eddie Guardado appear to be speculation. The Mariners say there’s no trade with Chicago in the works. …

Link (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mariners/story/5113343p-4655328c.html)

I think we can put an end to this rumor.