PDA

View Full Version : Poor K.C. Royals

tlebar318
08-18-2005, 09:11 AM
It is horrible to watch this franchise hit the skids like this even with me being a White Sox fan. They have now lost 18 in a row! My God that is ridiculous. The Royals teams of 70's and 80's were the best of the best. Brett, McCrae, and crew were always in contention...if this isn't an argument for a salary cap then what is? very unfair landscape financially in baseball. IMHO....

kittle42
08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
They're somehow still a better franchise than the Devil Rays.

Dick Allen
08-18-2005, 10:30 AM
How good does it make you feel that their last win was the extra inning fiasco against our beloved SOx.

jdm2662
08-18-2005, 10:33 AM
They're somehow still a better franchise than the Devil Rays.

Heh, tough call. The Devil Rays have some good young talent. They just won't pay for pitching. Outside of Sweeney, KC's got nothing.

It's Time
08-18-2005, 10:40 AM
If it weren't for the Royals, the lead in the division would be about 5 games instead of 11. But yes, it's a sad situation in KC.

zach23
08-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I still have memories of the Royals in 1977, so I have no pity for them now.

jackbrohamer
08-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I still have memories of the Royals in 1977, so I have no pity for them now.

Same here. They ran roughshod over the Sox in the late 1970s & the 1980s; I don't have any sympathy for them.

tlebar318
08-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Same here. They ran roughshod over the Sox in the late 1970s & the 1980s; I don't have any sympathy for them.

It's not really sympathy for them I am talking about....more the fact that financially the deck is stacked against some teams---Pirates, Royals, etc...unless they strike gold with some hot shot prospects that they don't have to pay the season is over before it starts for some of these teams--and yes I remember 1977 too---Royals were a bunch of Jerks to the South Side Hitmen!
I would have liked to see that team lose 18 in a row! :D:

Frater Perdurabo
08-18-2005, 11:41 AM
In my own private fantasy world, every year the AL Central would finish like this:

1. White Sox
2. (tie) Tigers
2. (tie) Royals
4. Cleveland
5. Minnesota

With the Tigers and Royals taking turns as the AL Wild Card.

It's too bad the baseball landscape is such that the small market teams can't even hang on to their own home-grown players, much less sign other good free agents.

TDog
08-18-2005, 01:13 PM
How good does it make you feel that their last win was the extra inning fiasco against our beloved SOx.

With the Royals headed for a series with the A's, in order not to tie the AL record for consecutive loses, this losing streak would have to be flanked by wins against teams with a couple of the league's best records.

I don't expect that to happen.

ChiSoxRowand
08-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Starting friday the Royals play a 3 game set at Oakland, then they play Boston for 3, then they head to New York for 3. The AL record is 21 the MLB record is 24. They have a good shot at at least getting the AL record.

Viva Medias B's
08-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Starting friday the Royals play a 3 game set at Oakland, then they play Boston for 3, then they head to New York for 3. The AL record is 21 the MLB record is 24. They have a good shot at at least getting the AL record.

And, of course, we all know how the current AL record set by the '88 Orioles ended.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-18-2005, 05:42 PM
And, of course, we all know how the current AL record set by the '88 Orioles ended.

Yeah, I am constantly reminded about it by my flubbie fan co-workers who must have heard this on ESPN.

Stroker Ace
08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Now it's gotten to the point where I want to see the Royals break the consecutive loss record.

Chips
08-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Now it's gotten to the point where I want to see the Royals break the consecutive loss record.

I would like to see it too.

Their owner is cheap. The had plenty of good players on their team in recent years, Damon, Dye, Beltran, Suppan, Randa always kicked our ass. Imagine their outfield if they kept Dye, Beltran, and Damon, they would be able to score plenty of runs, although their pitching has never been outstanding. Oh well, I hope they continue to lose until they play other division opponents. I just don't like them.

Stroker Ace
08-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Their owner is cheap. The had plenty of good players on their team in recent years, Damon, Dye, Beltran, Suppan, Randa always kicked our ass. Imagine their outfield if they kept Dye, Beltran, and Damon, they would be able to score plenty of runs, although their pitching has never been outstanding. Oh well, I hope they continue to lose until they play other division opponents. I just don't like them.Wow. Funny seeing those names as players the Royals could have now if only the owner wasn't so cheap.

buehrle4cy05
08-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Wow. Funny seeing those names as players the Royals could have now if only the owner wasn't so cheap.

But what kind of pitching have they ever had? Jeff Suppan? Jose Rosado? Blake Stein? Even with that kind of an outfield, KC is still a mediocre team at best. All though they wouldn't have lost 18 straight, I would have to think.

TDog
08-19-2005, 12:16 PM

So it looks like the Royals will tie the MLB record before sweeping the Yankees again.

Brian26
08-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Am I the only one that feels no sympathy for a team that used to kick our asses for most of the 70s and 80s and has two World Series appearances in the past 25 years? Screw them.

Hangar18
08-19-2005, 12:54 PM
18 in a row is pretty BRUTAL. However, im glad were not playing them,
our NON-offense would snap their streak ......... we lost 2 of 3 to them recently .......

chitownhawkfan
08-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I do feel bad for the Royals, it must be really tough being a fan. Any good player you get is guaranteed to leave as soon as his contract is up. I've never been to Kansas City, but they seem like good loyal fans. Too bad, now if it was the Tribe who was losing 18 straight I might throw a party.

VenturaSoxFan23
08-19-2005, 01:45 PM
The Twins have the same situation as the Royals, they're just luckier with their draft picks and the farm system. I don't recall Minnesota spending a lot of money to get these teams together.

I only feel pity because they used to be one of the best teams around and they've fallen so far since then. You can't count the Devil Rays because KC had a winning tradition at one point. The D-Rays know nothing except losing.

Chips
08-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Am I the only one that feels no sympathy for a team that used to kick our asses for most of the 70s and 80s and has two World Series appearances in the past 25 years? Screw them.

No.

Brian26
08-19-2005, 10:00 PM
No.

Thank You. The ****ers killed us in '77, and I still have nightmares about Amos Otis and Willie Aikens. Quisenberry was ****ing unhittable for years. They had their run for over a decade. Talk to me after we play in a couple of World Series.

Rooney4Prez56
08-19-2005, 10:49 PM

I dont know why I agree with this.

pczarapa
08-19-2005, 11:18 PM
It is horrible to watch this franchise hit the skids like this even with me being a White Sox fan. They have now lost 18 in a row! My God that is ridiculous. The Royals teams of 70's and 80's were the best of the best. Brett, McCrae, and crew were always in contention...if this isn't an argument for a salary cap then what is? very unfair landscape financially in baseball. IMHO....

Nice to think that their last win was them winning a series against us. If we played them in a seven game series right now, would we win? Makes it interesting when the Sox only score a couple runs a game.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2005, 01:03 AM
The thing is the owner is the heir to the Wal Mart fortune...David Glass.

Money is the LAST thing that clown should be worried about. Instead he's more concerned about getting his revenue sharing checks.

Amazing.

Lip

silenceofthehawk
08-20-2005, 02:38 AM
I just wish the Sox were playing the Royals instead of the Yankees.

TheOldRoman
08-20-2005, 04:34 AM
Poor Royals? My ass. The Franchise has existed for under 40 years and they have won a Worls Series. I don't feel the least bit sorry for them. After watching the Royals get killed again, their fans can go home and watch tapes of thier team winning a world championship. There are no recordings of our last championship. That is reason enough for me to not feel sympathy.

SOXSINCE'70
08-20-2005, 03:17 PM
The Royals would have no pity on the Sox,or any other
team in the division that was playing poorly.I have no pity on them.
After all the damage George Brett (among others) did against the Sox,
I call this karmic payback.I hope they shatter the damn record.
If he weren't so damn injury prone,i'd ask for Sweeney in a trade.
But inter division trades are very rare.That is,unless you're the Pirates
and the sCrUBS.:redneck :redneck :redneck

Frater Perdurabo
08-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Maybe I feel sorry for some of the Royals players, but not the franchise or the KC fans. The Royals won a WS in 1985. I feel sorry for me as a Sox fan. :angry:

Sox Blue 69-70
08-24-2005, 04:19 PM
The Twins have the same situation as the Royals, they're just luckier with their draft picks and the farm system. I don't recall Minnesota spending a lot of money to get these teams together.

They haven't, but I think it's more accurate to call it scouting, drafting, development, management. Has Oakland been "luckier" than KC over the past decade, too?