PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Adkins sent to the minors today (8-17)?

mcfish
08-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Just wondering. He serves no function on this team - he is completely useless in almost any situation. When was the last time you remember a real mop up situation where one of our starters gave up 8 runs and just couldn't get out of the third inning? Even in Contreras' worst starts he goes 5-6 innings. We don't need a mop up guy to eat innings 4, 5, and 6, we need someone who can pitch the 7th inning.

7 runs in 4 innings is not very good for a reliever (or any pitcher for that matter). 5 runs in the 16th inning of any game is even worse. He's not eating innings (4 IP in what 2 weeks so far?), he's not succeeding in the few roles given to him, and he really really sucks.

If Ozzie wants 12 pitchers, that's fine, but bring up someone who Ozzie will actually play, and someone who isn't so incredibly awful.

Lip Man 1
08-18-2005, 01:10 AM
Why did it take a few weeks before the Sox finally sent Walker down?

My guess is that the answer to both questions is that Ozzie feels there is no one better available to attempt to do the job.

Lip

mcfish
08-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Why did it take a few weeks before the Sox finally sent Walker down?

My guess is that the answer to both questions is that Ozzie feels there is no one better available to attempt to do the job.

LipI don't know about you, but I'd rather get someone up for the offense, however bad they may be, than let Adkins pitch 4 innings in 2 1/2 weeks (he was called up 7-31-05) if we really don't have a better pitcher in the minors. It's about time LTP gave it another go around, right?

balke
08-18-2005, 01:41 AM
Well, about the best option left in the minors is Willie right now. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him back up on the team, but he's hated by just about everyone.

Adkins doesn't help the team by any means, but he's a decent junk-time pitcher. He had some good games last season where I thought he was getting better, but he never really did. I don't know, he's better than Walker and I like the depth for the bullpen. They got a night off pretty much after a long night last night.

BainesHOF
08-18-2005, 03:45 AM
A better question: Why was Adkins called to the majors?

Chez
08-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Given the fact that the bullpen was gassed after Tuesday night's marathon, it made some sense to keep another arm around for last night's game.

SoxFan78
08-18-2005, 10:12 AM
As Hawk would say, "Maybe Adkins has pictures of somebody in upper management"

ewokpelts
08-18-2005, 10:33 AM
again i'll say it: WHY did we get RID of Shingo?
Gene

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 10:54 AM
GeneIf your problem is a crappy pitcher, having a DIFFERENT crappy pitcher is not a solution. Relax. AAdkins will not be anywhere near the playoff roster. He's there strictly for garbage time and emergency situations. I'm betting he'll get sent down and McCarthy called back up for the doubleheader in Texas next week.

FloridaSox
08-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Ozzie likes Adkins--thinks he has heart--maybe he does, but just can't pitch.

Flight #24
08-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Gene

Because he was pitching as poorly as Adkins, and the Sox didn't have the option to send him to AAA (he requested his release instead).

ewokpelts
08-18-2005, 10:59 AM
If your problem is a crappy pitcher, having a DIFFERENT crappy pitcher is not a solution. Relax. AAdkins will not be anywhere near the playoff roster. He's there strictly for garbage time and emergency situations. I'm betting he'll get sent down and McCarthy called back up for the doubleheader in Texas next week.yeah, but shingo has proved he can pitch THREE innings of scoreless relief in an extra inings game....adkins proved he can suck for ONE inning of a crucial game that also was extra innings.....
shingo was pitching pretty good when they let him go....like i said, he had two games where he pitched multiple innings of SCORELESS relief...i didnt even stay to watch adkins give up the fifth run on tuesday night/wed morning....
Gene

Flight #24
08-18-2005, 11:09 AM
yeah, but shingo has proved he can pitch THREE innings of scoreless relief in an extra inings game....adkins proved he can suck for ONE inning of a crucial game that also was extra innings.....
shingo was pitching pretty good when they let him go....like i said, he had two games where he pitched multiple innings of SCORELESS relief...i didnt even stay to watch adkins give up the fifth run on tuesday night/wed morning....
Gene:?:

Shingo's last few outings with the Sox:
7/16 (CLE) - 1.2IP 1H 2BB 3ER
7/9(OAK) - 1.2IP 2H 0BB 1ER
7/6 (TB) - .1IP 1H 1BB 0ER
7/4 (TB) - 2.1IP 2H 0BB 1ER
7/1 (OAK) - 1IP 1H 1BB 2ER

Total for month of July: 7IP 7H 4BB 7ER over 5 appearances, including only 1 in which he didn't give up a run.

That's why he was released.

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 12:09 PM
yeah, but shingo has proved he can pitch THREE innings of scoreless relief in an extra inings game....adkins proved he can suck for ONE inning of a crucial game that also was extra innings.....
GeneAdkins has had innings of scoreless relief, too. Big deal. Look at the line scores. The most common number is zero. Teams fail to score in an inning much more than half the time, which means that even an average pitcher should be able to pitch a scoreless inning most of the time.

Shingo is not the answer.

Tekijawa
08-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Probably because he would be brought up in two weeks any way, so why waste the Option? I'm not an Expert on the minor league system but I can't imagine that there is anyone else down there who we would want to bring up to sit in the bullpen just incase a ball game goes into the 16th inning. He's on the Bench and Deep on the bench... he won't be (nor would his replacement) a factor in any Baseball games in the next two weeks.

Lip Man 1
08-18-2005, 01:10 PM
For what it's worth, Joe Cowley in the Southtown has a story on the Sox supposedly targeting Eddie Guardado today.

Lip

mcfish
08-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Probably because he would be brought up in two weeks any way, so why waste the Option? I'm not an Expert on the minor league system but I can't imagine that there is anyone else down there who we would want to bring up to sit in the bullpen just incase a ball game goes into the 16th inning. He's on the Bench and Deep on the bench... he won't be (nor would his replacement) a factor in any Baseball games in the next two weeks.If he's so deep on the bench that he probably won't see the mound, then why did we bust Gload down to Charlotte for him? Gload could come in handy some games.

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Why in the world are people getting so lathered up about a guy who will be sent down by the end of next week? He's not going to come within a mile of the playoff roster.

balke
08-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Why in the world are people getting so lathered up about a guy who will be sent down by the end of next week? He's not going to come within a mile of the playoff roster.

Yeah, if we have any 16 inning games in the playoffs, I would imagine El Duque to get the call from the pen in a pinch, Adkins will be in the minors. I don't mind Adkins being up at all. I agree with Ozzie that he's got heart, and he's a tough pitcher. I'll admit he's not very good though. What was he throwing in the extra inning games? 86 MPH fastballs?

LVSoxFan
08-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Oh God McCarthy being brought up for... Texas? Yikes! :(:

tacosalbarojas
08-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Why in the hell wasn't it Bajenaru that got promoted instead of Adkins in the first place. Forget the 'long guy' need for the moment. All the guy has done over the last two years - including his brief stint with the big club - is gotten guys out. Check his K's to innings pitched ratio this year. It's unreal. Shouldn't there be some correlation between how you perform in AAA and how that should transfer to the big club?

maurice
08-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Shouldn't there be some correlation between how you perform in AAA and how that should transfer to the big club?

Not if you're Ozzie Guillen. It seems that he personally requested Adkins and Walker, two of the worst pitchers on the Charlotte staff.

Kevin Walker Update:
Last night, Walker gave up 7 runs in .2 IP, raising his minor-league ERA to 6.16. His MLB ERA continues to hold steady at a nice round 9.00 (with a 2.14 WHIP). Sadly, that's better than Adkins' 13.50 ERA / 2.79 WHIP so far this season.

In other news, at least 7 pitchers at Charlotte have performed better than Adkins and Walker. This group of superior pitchers includes both lefties and righties; both short relievers and potential long relievers. Some of them are already on the 40-man roster.

mcfish
08-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Why in the world are people getting so lathered up about a guy who will be sent down by the end of next week? He's not going to come within a mile of the playoff roster.If the 25th spot on the roster doesn't matter, then why was there such an uproar about Sandy Alomar Jr.'s position on the roster last year?

TaylorStSox
08-18-2005, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Harris back. We need somebody who can get on at about a .350 clip and put pressure on the defense.

BigEdWalsh
08-18-2005, 02:38 PM

Simply because he's a total waste. Someone like Bajenaru for example could possibly be up here instead and more than likely performing well.

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Simply because he's a total waste. Someone like Bajenaru for example could possibly be up here instead and more than likely performing well.I would have preferred Bajenaru, too. But either way, it's the 7th man in the bullpen, and with the way the starters are eating innings, they barely have enough work for 6. They went to 7 relievers when they had the long stretch without off days, but I fully expect AAdkins will be gone soon enough.

Whether it's Bajenaru or AAdkins, neither will be on the playoff roster, so it's really much ado about nothing.

SoxFan78
08-18-2005, 02:50 PM

I don't even want him in the same state as the White Sox during the playoffs.

BigEdWalsh
08-18-2005, 02:54 PM
I would have preferred Bajenaru, too. But either way, it's the 7th man in the bullpen, and with the way the starters are eating innings, they barely have enough work for 6. They went to 7 relievers when they had the long stretch without off days, but I fully expect AAdkins will be gone soon enough.

Whether it's Bajenaru or AAdkins, neither will be on the playoff roster, so it's really much ado about nothing.

True enough. My point is just that if he's here to eat some innings he's doing a lousy job. He's a total waste. 1. He's not eating many innings. 2. When he's out there, he's sucked and always has. So why not have someone who can actually get guys out? Bajenaru has earned a promotion. He's perfectly capable of eating innings. Adkins has not earned a promotion and he's good for batting practice, that's about it.

SABRSox
08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
I would have preferred Bajenaru, too. But either way, it's the 7th man in the bullpen, and with the way the starters are eating innings, they barely have enough work for 6. They went to 7 relievers when they had the long stretch without off days, but I fully expect AAdkins will be gone soon enough.

I have no doubt that Baj can produce at the major league level. He has the stuff to be pretty good, probably a 7th or 8th inning bridge to Jenks in the 9th in the near future. But I don't think he can be extended to more than 2 innings, unlike Adkins who can go out and eat up innings. That's the only reason I see keeping him here. He's not producing. But, then again, that's not to say he won't sometime down the road. But we don't need to experiment this year. We need to get guys in there that can get the job done.

PatK
08-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Adkins is good for eating up innings if the Sox have a 5-10 run lead.

With the way the offense has been lately, that translates to good for nothing.

kittle42
08-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Maybe Charlotte doesn't want him, either. :smile:

BigEdWalsh
08-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Adkins is good for eating up innings if the Sox have a 5-10 run lead.

With the way the offense has been lately, that translates to good for nothing.
No way I'd want to see Adkins come in to eat a few innings with a 5 run lead. It wouldn't remain a 5 run lead for long.

hose
08-18-2005, 03:26 PM
I will be more than happy to pay for Adkin's one way bus ticket to Charlotte.

I'll also volunteer to pick him up at the Cell and drop him off at the depot.

jeremyb1
08-19-2005, 12:57 AM
Be careful, I asked a similar question (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55273&highlight=adkins) a few weeks ago and received quite the lecture.

FarWestChicago
08-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Be careful, I asked a similar question (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55273&highlight=adkins) a few weeks ago and received quite the lecture.Shut the **** up you idiot. Oh the hell with it. Good bye. You got whacked for being a complete egocentric, Sox hating, A's loving, insufferable, childish, "look at me, look at me", long winded assclown. Don't even bother asking why.

And yes, you should be embarrassed PsychoBob is still around and your pathetic ass is gone. Of course, you won't be. You are a legend in your own mind, after all.

Domeshot17
08-19-2005, 02:15 AM
First- That was one the funniest things I have ever read in reponse to JeremyB.

But with the question as to why people Fret about Adkins. 5 game losing streak, he cost us a few of those ( In Boston he got lit up in long relief,making it next to impossible to think comback off of Schilling ( who we continued to prove we can hit hard) ). I mean, I agree he would not ever come close to a playoff roster spot, but We have to get there first, and I hate saying we are there in August, with any size lead. I mean other teams continue to come closer and closer to us in terms of records, and if Adkins loses 4 or 5 games for us in his stint, that could come back to mean no home field advantage. It is August, and the mentality of Adkins being in meaningless games is the same attitude a lot of the players appear to have.

TornLabrum
08-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Shut the **** up you idiot. Oh the hell with it. Good bye. You got whacked for being a complete egocentric, Sox hating, A's loving, insufferable, childish, "look at me, look at me", long winded assclown. Don't even bother asking why.

And yes, you should be embarrassed PsychoBob is still around and your pathetic ass is gone. Of course, you won't be. You are a legend in your own mind, after all.

Well played!

mealfred13
08-19-2005, 07:09 AM
But with the question as to why people Fret about Adkins. 5 game losing streak, he cost us a few of those ( In Boston he got lit up in long relief,making it next to impossible to think comback off of Schilling ( who we continued to prove we can hit hard) ). I mean, I agree he would not ever come close to a playoff roster spot, but We have to get there first, and I hate saying we are there in August, with any size lead. I mean other teams continue to come closer and closer to us in terms of records, and if Adkins loses 4 or 5 games for us in his stint, that could come back to mean no home field advantage. It is August, and the mentality of Adkins being in meaningless games is the same attitude a lot of the players appear to have.

While I tend to agree that Adkins is hardly a serviceable long reliever, the truth of the matter is there just isn't anyone else who's capable of going 4 or 5 innings, if necessary, who's available on our roster. McCarthy was having problems with giving up the long ball, and the rest of our relievers are 1 or 2 inning relievers at most. Short of a trade or demotion of one of our starters, there isn't a GOOD option for long reliever. This may cost us some games, but until a better option opens up, Adkins is it.

Personally, I'd like to see if McCarthy and his new "over-the-top" arm angle would be up to the challenge, but I'm sure there are reasons why he's not up here again at this time.

hose
08-19-2005, 08:47 AM
After seeing Jenks have some success I would rather the Sox give another bullpen pitcher down on the farm a chance.

I don't really want to see Adkins, Munoz, or Diaz in a Sox uniform anymore.

maurice
08-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Who will step forward and fill the huge void left by jeremy's departure?

Who will chronically complain that they were the only WSI poster to say something, when in fact they were the 80th poster to say it?

Who will suck up bandwith in a narcissistic, stream-of-conscious fashion, and then complain when nobody is (1) willing to read his tripe or (2) capable of understanding his brand of non-standard, unedited English?

Who will make 3 long-winded posts in response to a single paragraph, in order to hide the fact that he's been proven wrong for the 5,736th time?

Who will be a closeted non-Sox fan, hiding from the board when the Sox play well and their true love plays poorly?

charlotteknights
08-19-2005, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that they're going to send Adkins back to Charlotte. Everyone is absolutely correct when saying that Ozzie has something for him. McCarthy had a great outing last night but the pitching coaches are being hesitant to recommend him going back up. not that it would matter if Ozzie wants him back. Believe me when I tell you that he has a hard time adjusting to other people. Baj has been having a hard time closing lately, gave the game up twice this week. So there isn't any other pitcher in Charlotte that they could even consider taking up. They all pretty much suck. I think that Walker is the worse with Matt Smith at his heels. But then again, there's always Bullinger and Jones:redneck