PDA

View Full Version : MLB's Territorial Restrictions

kcsportscaster
08-18-2005, 12:22 AM
I've wondered for many years with the number of regional sports networks that have launched around the country about the territorial restrictions for all 30 MLB teams. I do know that the Alabama side of my local market, Mobile, AL/Pensacola, FL, is within Braves territory, while north Florida, despite being closer to Atlanta, is considered to be part of Marlins and Devil Rays territory, i.e., since I live in Alabama, we get Braves telecasts on both Turner South and FSN-South in addition to the games on TBS, while north Florida does NOT. They, instead, get the Marlins and Devil Rays on FSN-Florida. THIS PISSES ME OFF TO NO END WHILE I AM WORK!!!! Don't even suggest mlb.tv because of some idiot where I work who thought it was cute to install spyware on our newsroom computer, I can only use that, and certain other computers there, for "station business only."

North Carolina also has an odd situation in which the western half of the State, including Charlotte, gets the Braves on Turner South and FSN-South, while the eastern half, also including Charlotte, gets Orioles telecasts, produced by Comcast SportsNet-Mid-Atlantic, on
FSN-South with markets well east of Charlotte NOT getting Braves regional telecasts.

Is there a site anywhere that has a list of all of the teams' regional territories with a coverage map?

Thanks.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Is there a site anywhere that has a list of all of the teams' regional territories with a coverage map?

Thanks.

I would use this: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp#blackout

Pick your team and all the zip codes each team is blacked out in is displayed - I am almost positive it is the same for MLB.TV, Direct.TV and the actual local broadcast areas but they may be some overlap at the border of each team's area.

I remember seeing an actual map somewhere and spent a few minutes searching for it but had no luck.

GiveMeSox
08-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I've wondered for many years with the number of regional sports networks that have launched around the country about the territorial restrictions for all 30 MLB teams. I do know that the Alabama side of my local market, Mobile, AL/Pensacola, FL, is within Braves territory, while north Florida, despite being closer to Atlanta, is considered to be part of Marlins and Devil Rays territory, i.e., since I live in Alabama, we get Braves telecasts on both Turner South and FSN-South in addition to the games on TBS, while north Florida does NOT. They, instead, get the Marlins and Devil Rays on FSN-Florida. THIS PISSES ME OFF TO NO END WHILE I AM WORK!!!! Don't even suggest mlb.tv because of some idiot where I work who thought it was cute to install spyware on our newsroom computer, I can only use that, and certain other computers there, for "station business only."

North Carolina also has an odd situation in which the western half of the State, including Charlotte, gets the Braves on Turner South and FSN-South, while the eastern half, also including Charlotte, gets Orioles telecasts, produced by Comcast SportsNet-Mid-Atlantic, on
FSN-South with markets well east of Charlotte NOT getting Braves regional telecasts.

Thanks.

The problem is the system is not uniform or homogenized. Its all different. You would expect it to be used by distance but its not. They pre determine markets based on nothing less than the more people they can reach that way.

SOXfnNlansing
08-18-2005, 07:53 PM
my mom lives in Melbourne FL and her cable co (Brighthouse) doens't even offer a sports package. Tampa FL airs every Yankee game on the local radio station and Devil Ray games are only on a couple nights a week on the radio (ESPN1060am). On the NFL front, in central east coast FL their 'team' is Jacksonville. Every time I go visit during football season, I'm stuck watching Jaguars vs Bengals!!!!! lol

Kevin
08-19-2005, 01:09 AM
my mom lives in Melbourne FL and her cable co (Brighthouse) doens't even offer a sports package.

Huh? I'm on the same company and I have Extra Innings.

Railsplitter
08-19-2005, 10:37 AM
I remeber when I was in Springfield in the llate ninties. The cable systen there had Focx Sports Net Chicago and Fox Sports Net Midwest, which carried the Cardinals.

SOXfnNlansing
08-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Huh? I'm on the same company and I have Extra Innings. I meant a sports channel that is on regular cable (like fsn or csn).

dspete
08-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Here is what annoys me about the territories.

I am in Las Vegas, Nevada

We are claimed by 6 teams

Arizona Diamondbacks
LA Angels
San Diego Padres
LA Dodgers
San Francisco Giants
Oakland A's

That means out of 15 games we can be blacked out up to 40% of the games on the MLB and Extra innings.

Medford Bobby
08-26-2005, 10:25 AM
:D: When I lived in Vegas that was a continuing sports item in the papers in 2002. NOW, if I lived there now, I'd lie (to my sat provider)that I live in Chicago or at least some 1 or two team market......most screwed up rule in sports:whiner: