PDA

View Full Version : *Official* The Slump Continues Post-Game Thread

NSSoxFan
08-17-2005, 10:40 PM
At least our magic number decreased by one tonight.

Go get the Yankees this weekend.

Miss Cleo predicts dark clouds rolling this way.

shoota
08-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Not that it mattered, but I don't think Buehrle balked.

mr_genius
08-17-2005, 10:43 PM
hey shoota, what do you think about Crede's amazing 0-7 performance last night?

Brian26
:hawk

"Where's he gonna play?"

bludupree

nor do I. THis is definitely the worst week of my summer. I hope this doesn't continue through the weekend.

mr_genius
08-17-2005, 10:44 PM
:hawk

"we've got a better line-up than the Yankees"

Bisco Stu
08-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Ah, we're still 30 games over .500

I like some adversity, to kick us in the arse, wake us up a bit.

I see this team hungry and focused in Sept.

DickAllen72
08-17-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm tired of watching the Twins do this to the Sox every year about this time, year in and year out.

It's very frustrating for die hard White Sox fans.

VivaOzzie
Well done Crazy Carl for using the fine art of the duck snort to cancel the postgame. Now lets snap out of this funk against the yanks.

shoota
hey shoota, what do you think about Crede's amazing 0-7 performance last night?

From last night's postgame thread: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=816865&postcount=225

Brian26
08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Gail Fisher on the field for the postgame. :bandance:

TomParrish79
08-17-2005, 10:49 PM
I cant stop laughing everytime i see someone post...Where's he gonna play....that tickles the hell out of me for some reason.

TaylorStSox
08-17-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm tired of watching the Twins do this to the Sox every year about this time, year in and year out.

Yes, it's only frustrating for die hard Sox fans.

We didn't have a chance tonight. I don't know what else to say.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-17-2005, 10:50 PM
I wish I could REALLY hate the Twins, I really do. But I have nothing but respect for them. When the crowds get big late in the season, we wilt and they step it up against us each and every dang year. I really thought this year would be different. They still have the divisions best manager. :o:

pczarapa
08-17-2005, 10:51 PM

It was close, but I don't think he balked either. I must admit, it's been almost 10 years since I last umpired, so what the hell do I know.

patbooyah
08-17-2005, 10:52 PM
i wrote it in another thread and i'll write it here. before the sox installed their "girl scoping bench" in the dugout they were 31-15 at home. since then they are 5-10 at home.

NSSoxFan

Pretty much the case. The offense is slumping so bad you knew that if Mark gave up more than two runs it was going to be hard to win. It seems that Dye is falling back into a slump, it would certainly help the offense if his bat starts to come around.

infohawk
Yeah, it's very tough to watch, but we've got to hang in there. The starting pitching and hitters are slumping. The silver lining is that both the starters and hitters are bound to come out of the slump. We need Dye to start hitting again. Iguchi has had a tough month as well. I think Everett, PK and AJ are the only guys producing with any consistency this month. The starting pitchers haven't been horrible, but have dropped off a bit. Other teams went through their slumps earlier in the season, ours is now. We've just got to hang in there until we get a "favorable wind." It will happen. In all seriousness, it may not happen for another week or two. It could get worse before it gets better guys. Wait it out and be thankful we have a cushion.

The good news is that Cleveland lost tonight, reducing our magic number by one. Hey, if we're going struggle a bit I have no problems relying on other teams to help us out!

StockdaleForVeep
08-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Untill this teams lead in the central drops from double figures to less than 5 games, everyone needs to

:prozac

Every team has a losing streak

pczarapa
08-17-2005, 10:53 PM
I wish I could REALLY hate the Twins, I really do. But I have nothing but respect for them. When the crowds get big late in the season, we wilt and they step it up against us each and every dang year. I really thought this year would be different.:o:

Oh c'mon, it's not that bad. We didn't get to 30 games over because we suck. Pods is getting healthy on the DL, and the offense is in a slump. Santana had wicked stuff tonight and would've probably beat any team in the league tonight. I know this crap is frustrating, but just 5 games ago I was sky high after the Sox took 2/3 from the Yanks. This too shall pass............

Frankfan4life
08-17-2005, 10:54 PM
From last night's postgame thread: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=816865&postcount=225
That was priceless! :redneck

TomParrish79
John Kruk just said everytime Buehrle makes a move to first its a borderline balk...and if its coming out of kruk's mouth its gotta be true

hit me with the po-leeece

NSSoxFan
i wrote it in another thread and i'll write it here. before the sox installed their "girl scoping bench" in the dugout they were 31-15 at home. since then they are 5-10 at home.

Pat, I understand you probably have a credible source for this 'bench', but come on. You act as if the White Sox are a team of 17 year old boys.

TaylorStSox
08-17-2005, 10:55 PM
John Kruk just said everytime Buehrle makes a move to first its a borderline balk...and if its coming out of kruk's mouth its gotta be true

hit me with the po-leeece

He's right. That's why they call it a "balk move." Some pitchers get away with it, others don't.

halfpricemonday
08-17-2005, 10:56 PM

I didn't see the play, but considering I heard he hadn't had a balk since 2002, I'm inclined to agree with you.

You know, considering we've got a five game losing streak and just got swept by our division rivals, I'm actually pretty calm right now. And it's not just because the Indians lost...I think it's because I'm still happy about breaking up the no-no and ending the shutout. And that's because after the Twins had their big inning, I felt like there wasn't much else left to cheer for.

Let's clear our minds during the off-day and break out of our funk on Friday. Hopefully Garland will be our stopper once again.

chisoxmike
08-17-2005, 10:57 PM

Here's an interesting stat...

1st half 2nd half vs. Twins

2002 2-2 5-9
2003 7-5 2-5
2004 7-3 2-7
2005 4-1 0-3 (so far)

At least the Indians lost.:rolleyes:

Mickster
08-17-2005, 10:57 PM
You act as if the White Sox are a team of 17 year old boys.

MLB Players actilg like 17 year old boys with respect to women? NO WAY! :o:

Pea-Pod
08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
I wish I could REALLY hate the Twins, I really do. But I have nothing but respect for them. When the crowds get big late in the season, we wilt and they step it up against us each and every dang year. I really thought this year would be different. They still have the divisions best manager. :o:

agreed

i know it's frowned upon to start yelling the "sky is falling" when the Sox go on a 5-game skid like this...but....it just looks so damn familiar...it's only my natural white sox instinct to assume another "heartbreak" ending.

DickAllen72

It sure as hell ain't frustrating for Twins fans. Or for fair weather fans or casual fans who only watch when the team is winning. But for us die hard Sox fans who have been watching for three or four decades or more, waiting for a World Series, yes it is very frustrating.

soxjim
Santana is just in a zone. The Sox are in a slump. We knew it was coming sooner or later. Rather it be sooner.
Magic number is 33.

pczarapa
08-17-2005, 11:00 PM
He's right. That's why they call it a "balk move." Some pitchers get away with it, others don't.

This falls into the "what is his normal delivery to the plate" interpretation which is always a gray area. My guess is Minnesota bi#ched about it and the ump called it.

patbooyah
Pat, I understand you probably have a credible source for this 'bench', but come on. You act as if the White Sox are a team of 17 year old boys.

the bench was installed on july 19th. as someone who has sat in the scout section i can promise you that the sox spend a LOT of time looking for women. AJ is probably the worst. followed closely by ozzie. it is almost worst than 17 year old boys.

what kind of source would i need? i can cite jim bouton if you'd like.

TaylorStSox
agreed

i know it's frowned upon to start yelling the "sky is falling" when the Sox go on a 5-game skid like this...but....it just looks so damn familiar...it's only my natural white sox instinct to assume another "heartbreak" ending.

So, being a Sox fan makes you have a loser's mentality? Am I the only one that's sick to death of these stereotypes?

I'm negative and depressed because I'm a Sox fan. I know more about baseball than you because I'm a Sox fan. :redneck

Daver

That term applies to right handed pitchers far more than it does to lefties. Mark never led to the plate.

chisoxmike
08-17-2005, 11:01 PM

Last year when they switched to the "lets get it started" song when the sox took the field is when the Sox got sweapt by the Twins.

pczarapa
08-17-2005, 11:01 PM
MLB Players actilg like 17 year old boys with respect to women? NO WAY! :o:

I'd like to sit on the girl scoping bench :D:

LuvSox
08-17-2005, 11:02 PM
"33"

That's a Rolling Rock for all of you, on the house!

halfpricemonday
08-17-2005, 11:02 PM

Email Brooks. Maybe he can get the Matadors (from the Bulls games) lower box seats along the dugout for the rest of the season. They could even take the place of the Chevy Pride Crew.

Pasqua's Posers
08-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Santana is just in a zone. The Sox are in a slump. We knew it was coming sooner or later. Rather it be sooner.
Magic number is 33.

I WAS READY TO JUMP OFF MY BALCONY TODAY...

I then talked to my boy (who is a CUBS fan)...he reasoned a few things:

1. This is their first slump of the season

2. they lead the division by 12 games

3. it's better to slump now, than in late september

I felt better and I know our boys will get out of this funk soon...

KEEP THE FAITH BOYS....and GO SOX!!!

p.s. I was planning on going to the game tonight but my boy backed out b/c of work. it's a good thing b/c some cub/twin troll would've gotten beat down....

TaylorStSox
That term applies to right handed pitchers far more than it does to lefties. Mark never led to the plate.

Daver, you know he leads to plate everytime he delivers the ball to first. His right leg always leads towards home but he doesn't cheat with his upper body. That's one of the reasons his move's so good. Umpires respect it and give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not saying he balks. It's a completely arbitrary rule that's filled with more gray than a road jersey.

TornLabrum
Yeah, it's very tough to watch...

Too tough for me. I got about 4 hours of sleep last night so I ended up missing most of the game. I guess I didn't miss much.

Mr. N Paul Todd
Buehrle balked. If you see it again, you will notice it looks "funny". It looks "funny" because it's a balk.

No excuses.

Brian26
08-17-2005, 11:04 PM
John Kruk just said everytime Buehrle makes a move to first its a borderline balk

And everytime John Kruk makes a move towards a buffet table, it's time to leave the restaurant.

NSSoxFan
08-17-2005, 11:04 PM
the bench was installed on july 19th. as someone who has sat in the scout section i can promise you that the sox spend a LOT of time looking for women. AJ is probably the worst. followed closely by ozzie. it is almost worst than 17 year old boys.

what kind of source would i need? i can cite jim bouton if you'd like.

Just remember what you are essentially saying. You are implying the Sox are losing games because their manager and catcher are too busy looking for women in the stands. I heard that there is a Sun-Times columnist with an understudy program you'd be perfect for.

TaylorStSox
08-17-2005, 11:05 PM
And everytime John Kruk makes a move towards a buffet table, it's time to leave the restaurant.

:D:

Kruk's never balked on the way to the diner. His move's too deliberate.

PeteWard
08-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Email Brooks. Maybe he can get the Matadors (from the Bulls games) lower box seats along the dugout for the rest of the season. They could even take the place of the Chevy Pride Crew.

You mean to tell me that they are not called the "Luv-A- Bulls" any more?

And matadors kill bulls, don't they?

Brian26
08-17-2005, 11:06 PM
followed closely by ozzie.

I've seen Ozzie do this on television about a hundred times this season. Seriously, every time the camera is on him, he's staring to his right to the seats between the Sox on deck circle and behind home plate.

Pat- Were you at the game last night? A guy from work went to the game and saw your dad in the Scout Seats. He also said your dad left before the 9th last night :D:

balke
08-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Its absolutely infuriating to be swept by the Twins at home no matter what our record is in any season. This was the most painful night all year. No Dark Clouds about the season, but you can't spin any positive light on this series.

Daver
08-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Daver, you know he leads to plate everytime he delivers the ball to first. His right leg always leads towards home but he doesn't cheat with his upper body. That's one of the reasons his move's so good. Umpires respect it and give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not saying he balks. It's a completely arbitrary rule that's filled with more gray than a road jersey.

Actually, no he doesn't, he tips his move to first everytime, watch his feet on the mound, he leads his foot to first when he is throwing to first, I think the Twins finally noticed it.

Mickster
08-17-2005, 11:08 PM
I've seen Ozzie do this on television about a hundred times this season. Seriously, every time the camera is on him, he's staring to his right to the seats between the Sox on deck circle and behind home plate.

I'll hold up a sign that reads: "Pay attention to the game, Dummy!" When I sit there in a few weeks. :cool:

Jjav829
08-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Sox are now tied with the Royals for the least amount of runs scored in August at 51...and the Royals have lost 18 games in a row. That shows you just how bad the offense has been.

Jermaine Dye in August entering tonight: .188/.231/.292/.522 1 HR 3 RBI
Add in another 0-4 tonight.

Like I've said before, this offense goes as Jermaine Dye goes.

infohawk
08-17-2005, 11:10 PM

This is exactly right. Honestly, I didn't expect to win tonight against Santana. I was surprised that Buerhle gave up four earned runs to their line-up, but the starting pitching seems to be slumping also.

I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to play inconsistent ball until Pods comes back. We started becoming inconsistent, compartively speaking, immediately prior to the All-Star break. It was just prior to the break that Pods sustained the groin injury. He is such an important piece of what the Sox do offensively that I think I am justified in drawing the correlation. I mentioned in another post earlier today that I think putting Pods on the DL was the best move the Sox have made all year. It prevents them from succumbing to the temptation to rush him back. He can play with that injury, but he loses the skills that make him such an impact player.

When Pods comes back it will give the Sox a huge lift. In many ways, I think he is the straw that stirs the drink.

halfpricemonday
You mean to tell me that they are not called the "Luv-A- Bulls" any more?

And matadors kill bulls, don't they?
Your Chicago Matadors. (http://www.nba.com/bulls/dance/matadors.html)

TaylorStSox
One thing that I do wish was that we had an OBP./Speed guy in the minors. I haven't seen Owens, so I'm not sure if he's close enough to make an impact. BHBARONS or Rex Hudler might have some idea.

But, with his CS numbers and Ozzie's reluctance to put runners in motion, I'm not sure if it would even matter right now.

PeteWard
08-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Your Chicago Matadors. (http://www.nba.com/bulls/dance/matadors.html)

Oh, I thought they were the regular cheerleaders:redface: . Been away from Chi. for a long time.

But hang on, they are not "my" anything!:D:

TaylorStSox
Actually, no he doesn't, he tips his move to first everytime, watch his feet on the mound, he leads his foot to first when he is throwing to first, I think the Twins finally noticed it.

Interesting. I'm just going by a mental image. I'm sure you've studied it more than I have so you're probably right. From my mental image of Mark, his lead leg usually lands 1/2 way between home and 1st as opposed to straight towards 1st. He's usually stepping half way but squaring his shoulders to the base.

SAVVY18

I say we rip those benches out of there, blow them up, mix them with some spaghetti sauce and sell it to Sox fans to get the team back on track. :rolleyes:

Brian26
08-17-2005, 11:16 PM
I guess there are two ways of looking at this. Either this is the inevitable slump that we all knew was going to HAVE to happen at some point this season, or this is the biggest train wreck/wheels-fall-off-the-cart in baseball history.

Honestly, although we all want to think the worst right now, this team is way too good to do a complete 180 on the season. I rather get this funk out of the way NOW so we'll be heated back up six weeks from now, ready to run the table through October.

WereGonnaWinTwns
08-17-2005, 11:29 PM
HELLO FROM MINNESOTA!

Not here to brag, or gloat...we are still 12 games back of you guys, not much I can say. I wish it was closer so that these games meant more, but they are much more important for us than they are you. We're only 4 out of the WildCard and it would be great to meet you guys in the ALCS...After watching the last four games, its clear you really need Posednik back as your offense is as bad, if not worse than ours right now! Good Luck this weekend, I hope for a sweep of the Yankees, then back for your White Sox vs Santana on Tuesday!

Viva Medias B's
08-17-2005, 11:35 PM
The upcoming games could get a lot rougher:

3 vs. Yankees
3 @ Minnesota
3 @ Seattle
4 @ Texas (was 3 originally but we had a rainout there earlier in the year)

HotelWhiteSox
08-17-2005, 11:42 PM
I don't feel as bad about it with the magic # going down. It feels like a lot longer losing streak, mainly because we are used to a lot better baseball and automatic wins. I don't really mind being the Twins' stepchild if it is a step en route to us playing in the postseason while Santana and Hunter are playing Madden in their jockstraps. Playoffs are about getting hot at the right time, better hot later (which is more likely with Pods back and a stable lineup) and sitting through some bad baseball now than tearing it up like Seattle (116 wins) did and then laying an eggThis Yankee series may also get the players up a bit, they do seem a little sleepy. Yankees coming off getting beaten @ Tampa Bay again...

Bisco Stu
08-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Magic number is 33.

Every freemason Sox fan just raised his beer in toast

BeviBall!
08-17-2005, 11:45 PM
The upcoming games could get a lot rougher:

3 vs. Yankees
3 @ Minnesota
3 @ Seattle
4 @ Texas (was 3 originally but we had a rainout there earlier in the year)

I like the Sox vs the Yanks at home... I also like to think we have some heart and will play well in Minny with the big 3 all going in that series. Felix H. can only pitch one game in Seattle and Texas is playing worse than us these days. I think 8-5 is reasonable.

Pertaining to tonight... did anyone actually think we had a chance after LeCroy's first HR? Seriously?

WereGonnaWinTwns
08-17-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't feel as bad about it with the magic # going down. It feels like a lot longer losing streak, mainly because we are used to a lot better baseball and automatic wins. I don't really mind being the Twins' stepchild if it is a step en route to us playing in the postseason while Santana and Hunter are playing Madden in their jockstraps. Playoffs are about getting hot at the right time, better hot later (which is more likely with Pods back and a stable lineup) and sitting through some bad baseball now than tearing it up like Seattle (116 wins) did and then laying an eggThis Yankee series may also get the players up a bit, they do seem a little sleepy. Yankees coming off getting beaten @ Tampa Bay again...

Easy buddy, 4 games out of the Wild Card, with 13 games left against KC and Seattle...We wont catch you, but the Wild Card is easily within reach. Hopefully we'd see you in the ALCS, but I dont know if either of these teams would win in the first round...

BeviBall!
08-17-2005, 11:46 PM
BTW, "Where's he gonna play?"

balke
08-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Easy buddy, 4 games out of the Wild Card, with 13 games left against KC and Seattle...We wont catch you, but the Wild Card is easily within reach. Hopefully we'd see you in the ALCS, but I dont know if either of these teams would win in the first round...

eww. I don't know who I'd want to see there less between the Twinks and A's, hehe. It might be better to see the Twinks there, just to shut the nation up about Oakland's hot streak.

WereGonnaWinTwns
08-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Baltimore and ourselves already shut up Oakland...look at our pitchers stats since the all-star break, all starters but Mays are under 3.00 ERA. We score, we win...Just not sure that can happen with Abernathy batting 3rd in the lineup!:cool:

PS. You no longer have the best record in baseball, just an FYI...

buehrle4cy05
08-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Baltimore and ourselves already shut up Oakland...look at our pitchers stats since the all-star break, all starters but Mays are under 3.00 ERA. We score, we win...Just not sure that can happen with Abernathy batting 3rd in the lineup!:cool:

:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

JUribe1989
08-17-2005, 11:52 PM

PS. You no longer have the best record in baseball, just an FYI...

12 games back buddy. I'm not worried, every team goes through a stretch like this. Hell, you should know. You guys go through it about every 2 weeks.:D:

balke
08-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Yeah a pitcher 4 games over .500 (13-9) has a real shot! Get real, if Johan pitched for any other team than the Twins, you'd give him credit...

Actually most people on the board do give him credit. They don't have false bias hopes for a Cy Young for him though. He's not doing much better than Zito has, and he still doesn't have more wins than Buehrle. He'll never catch Garland in Wins, and if you would've paid attention to Johnson v. Clemens last season, you'd realize Wins are about all that matters when talking about about the Cy Young award.

Santana will end the season with a lot of K's, maybe more than Pedro for the #1 spot in the majors. IS that flattery enough for you? Good for him.

BeviBall!
Yeah a pitcher 4 games over .500 (13-9) has a real shot! Get real, if Johan pitched for any other team than the Twins, you'd give him credit...

He's 14-9 and has two more wins playing for a far inferior team. I don't just get real... I get right.

Parrothead

They all have thier regular girls already. But I guess trading up might help these guys. More people = better women to choose from. This comes from people in the know.

SomebodyToldMe
08-18-2005, 12:14 AM
BTW, "Where's he gonna play?"

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

I...hate...that...sentence!

LuvSox
08-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Every freemason Sox fan just raised his beer in toast

I'm gonna figure that out, I guarantee it!

itsnotrequired
08-18-2005, 12:38 AM
I was just looking at the earlier part of the season and saw that the first time the Sox had an 11 game lead was back on July 7. So here we are, 6 weeks and 35 games later...in the exact same spot. Biggest lead in that spot was 15 games so one could argue we have "lost" 4 games but in reality, we are just fine.

We have lost three games on Boston in that time so home field advantage in the playoffs may be in "jeopardy" but still, it took six weeks for them to close 8.5 to 5. Whirrr...

Lip Man 1
08-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Balke says: "you can't spin any positive light on this series."

Oddly enough Balke I can tonight. Boston lost, Oakland lost and the Angels are losing as well right now. That's another game off the schedule and the teams now fighting us for home field blew a chance to gain ground.

Other then that I must agree with you. It's a combination of things right now, a long, long season, a slumping offense, a string of nagging injuries which was markedly different then the first three months and a brutal schedule.

It doesn't take a PHD to understand if you have games where Perez, Ozuna and Widger are in your lineup you are probably not going to score a hell of a lot.

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
08-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Went to the game tonight.

Not much to say, except that it's disappointing watching the team crap the bed yet again with a large crowd.

You'd figure of Everett/Dye/Konerko/Rowand/Iguchi, one of them would get hot enough to help the team out of this slump, but nope, nothin' doing. When the Sox stranded the leadoff runner in the first, I knew we might be in for a long night. I didn't expect to see a no-hitter through 6.

kojak
08-18-2005, 01:18 AM
Sox are now tied with the Royals for the least amount of runs scored in August at 51...and the Royals have lost 18 games in a row. That shows you just how bad the offense has been.

Jermaine Dye in August entering tonight: .188/.231/.292/.522 1 HR 3 RBI
Add in another 0-4 tonight.

Like I've said before, this offense goes as Jermaine Dye goes.

Do you know the last time the Royals won a game?

mdep524
08-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Not much energy in the ballpark tonight. Even in the LF bleachers, where I was sitting, everything and everyone just seemed subdued. I guess that's what the combination of a 10+ game lead, the dog days of summer and a slumping team will get you.

Jermaine is back in a pretty big slump. He could use a few days off if we somehow acquire another outfielder/DH.... And this team needs some kind of closure with the whole trade talk situation. It seems to be hanging over their head and possibly affecting their perspective and their play.

balke
08-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Well, if they would start hitting, noone would be calling for trades. Jenks filled most of our tummies enough that we don't beg for Wagner anymore. I've seen at least 3 games in the past week where Dye could've brought home an important run multiple times in the same game with a hit, and he did nothing but strike out. The majority of our players are better than their #'s, they need to wake the heck up offensively.

RadioheadRocks
08-18-2005, 01:49 AM
Do you know the last time the Royals won a game?

Yep... that would be when they took 2 out of 3 from us at the end of July...
But I digress... let's just hope the Sox can figure it out and shake off this slump... there's still plenty of baseball left.

Dan H
08-18-2005, 04:25 AM

Not much to say, except that it's disappointing watching the team crap the bed yet again with a large crowd.

You'd figure of Everett/Dye/Konerko/Rowand/Iguchi, one of them would get hot enough to help the team out of this slump, but nope, nothin' doing. When the Sox stranded the leadoff runner in the first, I knew we might be in for a long night. I didn't expect to see a no-hitter through 6.

I agree that at least one of the guys you mentioned will step up and carry the offense for a few games. The Sox can't sit around waiting for their leadoff man to come back. It is one thing to be slumping but no hits at all through six?

This was tough to watch. The Twins completely took it to the Sox. And I don't even care about debating about the balk. The Sox were not going to win this one. And they have only themselves to blame for not scoring in the last nine innings of the marathon game.

harwar
08-18-2005, 08:46 AM
This is really ugly but it won't last.
I fully expect to win 2 out of 3 from the yankees.
In the last 3 or 4 days the other leaders in the AL aren't doing all that great either.
August is just a brutal month for most(not the twins it seems) teams.

Also,as for the balk.
No matter what the rule says it is more of a judgement call than anything and(like offensive holding in football) it probably could be called on every play/pitch if they wanted too.

Sad
08-18-2005, 09:05 AM

same here... long bummer of a ride back to MI. :(:
try it again Saturday...

DAllen15
08-18-2005, 09:07 AM
I was just looking at the earlier part of the season and saw that the first time the Sox had an 11 game lead was back on July 7. So here we are, 6 weeks and 35 games later...in the exact same spot. Biggest lead in that spot was 15 games so one could argue we have "lost" 4 games but in reality, we are just fine.

We have lost three games on Boston in that time so home field advantage in the playoffs may be in "jeopardy" but still, it took six weeks for them to close 8.5 to 5. Whirrr...

With the way the Sox have performed this year at home in front of sellout crowds vs. on the road, maybe losing homefield advantage for the playoffs would actually be an advantage. Furthermore, looking at the success of the Wildcard in the postseason over the last five years in the WS, ah, I won't even continue with these thoughts.....

It is just tough to watch the sox skid and not see the "fight" in them when doing so. I wish someone on this team would make a play to show that they still have a pulse. In Monday's game against the Twins, Credy was thrown out at home attempting to avoid the tag, I was hoping he would have set the tone for the series by taking out the catcher on that play like Hunter did to us last year. With his play, Hunter showed that win or lose, they were playing to kick our a**es which they ended up doing.

But I don't know if Joe's got that in him, the only one on the Sox that I think has that edge is AJ. Hopefully the dog days will be over soon....

russ99
08-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Maybe we can get some fair umpiring with a new crew against the Yankees, those guys in the Twins series were awful. Did Ozzie get in their face earlier in the season?

Also - my fave moment last night, other than Crazy Carl breaking up the no-hitter with a duck snort, was when Santana was PO'd for being taken out in the ninth. Dude, chill out! :smile:

infohawk
08-18-2005, 09:51 AM
I was hoping he would have set the tone for the series by taking out the catcher on that play like Hunter did to us last year.
But I don't know if Joe's got that in him, the only one on the Sox that I think has that edge is AJ. Hopefully the dog days will be over soon....

I thought about that too, but Joe's other possible motivation for avoiding a collision could be the herniated discs in his back. A major collision might put him on the DL.

infohawk
08-18-2005, 09:58 AM
With the way the Sox have performed this year at home in front of sellout crowds vs. on the road, maybe losing homefield advantage for the playoffs would actually be an advantage.

I'm not buying any of the arguments that the Sox don't do well at home because they have had to play in front of big crowds. It sounds like witchcraft or voodoo to me. I still think the primary problem afflicting the Sox offense has been the poor play/absence of Podsednik due to injury. He's the ignitor. I think it's quite possible that the Sox will struggle until he comes off the disabled list.

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Interesting. I'm just going by a mental image. I'm sure you've studied it more than I have so you're probably right. From my mental image of Mark, his lead leg usually lands 1/2 way between home and 1st as opposed to straight towards 1st. He's usually stepping half way but squaring his shoulders to the base.I thought it was a clear-cut balk. You have to stride deliberately toward home or toward first. His move is always a little in between, and he usually gets away with it. He tends to push the limit. To me it looked like he strayed a little more in between than usual. But even if he didn't, the fact that previous umpires gave it to him does not mean that it's not a balk.

Cowhead418
08-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I went to the game last night. It was total torture. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I took one look at the pathetic lineup the Twins threw out there and immediately thought that their mediocre hitters would light up Buehrle. Our hitters looked like Little Leaguers up there. I'll give props to Santana but every single one of our hitters looked lost up at the plate. I actually thought Santana had a great shot at completing the no hitter. In the 8th inning, there was a chant in the crowd that sounded like "We Want Junior!" "We Want Junior!" This team looks DEAD. After Buehrle's balk they lost all the life they had in them. I knew after LeCroy's HR that the game was over then. This team needs a jolt of some kind. They look half-asleep out there. We are just in a slump. Hopefully some bad Yankee pitching will help with that. I'm going to the game on Sunday so hopefully I'll see my first win this year!

TomBradley72
08-18-2005, 10:14 AM
This feels like 1977 (after the Royals series), 1990 (after Thigpen blew the save against CA in later August), 2000 (after Eldred, Baldwin, etc went down), 2004 (we look just like the '04 team right now....no Frank/Magglio + no speed (w/Pods out). Pods injury + Crede's back + Hermie's back + Frank out for the year + dog days.....real dark clouds are on the horizon.

MushMouth
08-18-2005, 10:36 AM
This feels like 1977 (after the Royals series), 1990 (after Thigpen blew the save against CA in later August), 2000 (after Eldred, Baldwin, etc went down), 2004 (we look just like the '04 team right now....no Frank/Magglio + no speed (w/Pods out). Pods injury + Crede's back + Hermie's back + Frank out for the year + dog days.....real dark clouds are on the horizon.

Absolutely feels like last year. We're playing like doo-doo and the bats are so predictably quiet right now. Of course, we didn't have an ELEVEN game lead last year, so I'm still feeling okay.

I plan on enjoying the games this weekend and watching our bats get back to normal vs. Yank pitching.

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Let's keep this in perspective. I'm willing to bet there isn't another team in MLB that hasn't had a 5-game losing streak. This is a game of unbelievably small margins. If Hermanson had closed out Tuesday's game like he does 90% of the time, we would have been all smiles talking about a great come-from-behind win and the momentum going into yesterday's game would have been totally different. A day off today is just what the doctor ordered. Maybe getting their asses handed to them by the Twins will be the wakeup call they need.

LVSoxFan
08-18-2005, 11:04 AM
I'd like to vent here, since this was my 33rd game this year, including at Detroit (we won both) and at KC (we lost both).

Going to Sox games right now sucks. You know why? For starters, they get huge crowds--crowds that JR could only hope for a couple of years ago, and they let us all down. I saw them pull out miracle wins in April with 7,000 people there and it's 40 degrees. But whether it be the Cubs, the BoSox or even last night, they absolutely blow.

But here's the most insulting thing of all: when Buehrle gave up that second homer, you could feel the wind go out of the crowd. And when he balked that third one in, we knew the game was over.

We knew the game was over. We're down 3-0, and we knew, in the stands, that this would be a lead we'd never overcome. Back in April, this would be unheard of. Of course, back in April, we always had the lead, if you even remember that little streak. Up until the 8th inning, the only thing of interest was whether or not Santana would throw a no-hitter against our lame, absurd, minor-league offense. Since the ASB we've stranded more ducks on the pond than a blind hunter pointing his gun the wrong way.

I swear, out of the last 10 games I've been to I think we've lost eight. The Cell has been a House of Horrors for a month or more. I'm tired of our sh** batters and hitting. I'm tired of loading the bases and leaving them all there as the other team trots off the field. I'm tired of watching our starters get rocked at home.

But what's especially tiresome is the talk about how this is all because Pods is out. What, are we that one-dimensional where one guy goes down and we completely collapse? Or the Frank talk, which is absurd. Are you kiddin? Frank was out most of the 1st half and we built the best record in baseball without him. Now he's gone, and he's the reason our offense is dismal? Can nobody else steal a base on this freakin' team? Ozuna was on first last night? Can this man not run? 'Cause he didn't.

The only possible upside to all this is that this is intentional--some teams, with a sizeable lead, will try and time their "slump" so they peak when it counts. I sure hope that's what's going on because let's be real here: compared to the other AL contenders: Boston, Anaheim and Oakland, we suck.

Sorry, I bleed black, but that is just the fact right now.

BeviBall!
08-18-2005, 11:15 AM
We'll face Radke, Johan and Mays in the Twinkie Dome next week. Joy.

HITMEN OF 77
08-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Bottom line, this team is tired. Glad we have a day off today. from the road trip and rain delays in Boston, to the 5+ hour game the night before last, the team needs a break. I bet we take 2 of 3 this weekend at least.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Tired, humiliated, spent. All of these things factor into it. But come on - 110+ games into the season, and we have our 1st 5 game losing streak? I think this day off, along with some truly lackluster play, is EXACTLY what this team needs to re-direct its energies. I hope they all sleep 16-18 hours today, and a full night's rest going into tomorrow. I truly truly truly believe the Yankees are walking out of here losing 2 of 3 - and not by one run games. I have this feeling we're gonna knock them around offensively.

LVSoxFan
08-18-2005, 11:38 AM
It not the losing that exhausts me, it's how badly we're playing that does.

Hey, I can take a loss--when we came screaming back in Boston but still lost 9-8... that I can live with.

But we just lie down and lose. That second game in KC--against the worst team in the league--we were up 5-2 and Gload made that error. They never gave up, and they won the game.

We have no fire whatsoever. Maybe they are just tired right now. Hell, I'm tired. It's been a long season.

Hangar18
08-18-2005, 11:38 AM
But here's the most insulting thing of all: when Buehrle gave up that second homer, you could feel the wind go out of the crowd. And when he balked that third one in, we knew the game was over.

We knew the game was over. We're down 3-0, and we knew, in the stands, that this would be a lead we'd never overcome. Back in April, this would be unheard of. Of course, back in April, we always had the lead, if you even remember that little streak. Up until the 8th inning, the only thing of interest was whether or not Santana would throw a no-hitter against our lame, absurd, minor-league offense. Since the ASB we've stranded more ducks on the pond than a blind hunter pointing his gun the wrong way.

But what's especially tiresome is the talk about how this is all because Pods is out. What, are we that one-dimensional where one guy goes down and we completely collapse? Or the Frank talk, which is absurd. Are you kiddin? Frank was out most of the 1st half and we built the best record in baseball without him. Now he's gone, and he's the reason our offense is dismal? Can nobody else steal a base on this freakin' team? Ozuna was on first last night? Can this man not run? 'Cause he didn't.

Dont worry about venting. I actually felt BAD venting about the team .....
when we were WINNING! Yeah, hard to get mad when were winning, but the way we were getting lucky, pulling out these 3-2 wins, I knew wouldnt last if our Offense continued to keep not being there. Sure enough ........
thats whats happening everybody. and YES ......PODS is our MVP, without him, were toast, because he can steal 2nd and 3rd and its a triple for all intents and purposes. But this season long "Slump" by Crede and Uribe, the hitting when it doesnt count by Konerko, the vacation DYE took in April, May and June....and looks like hes back at it ........ were not gonna win like this. We got away with it, and needed for these guys to "wake up" once the weather got warmer, and the balls started sailing out of the Cell, but the other teams seem to have taken advantage of that. We are playing VERY POOR FUNDAMENTAL baseball, not to mention STUPID BASEBALL. Very Lethargic. Everett swinging at two pitches in the dirt .......knowing full well hes got a guy at 1st .....make contact and move him up no matter what ....CMON! What made me Blow My Top (I had to take a walk on the concourse, thats how mad I was) was Konerko Popping up to 1b, resuliting in an INNING ENDING DP! WE got doubled-off by a POPUP!
What the heck is everyone doing out there???? that was HIGHSCHOOL-esque. ANd leaving runners on every inning in that 16inning disaster was inexcusable. And Uribe and Crede ending those rallies like 4times in a row? Horrid. We knew that was coming when we sacrificed the offense..... you need BALANCE to win ......... The sox are playing LAZY and think theyve already clinched things ......... Ozz needs to kick some butt in the clubhouse and get rid of this bad fundamental BS now .........
ok, im done venting now too .........:angry:

LVSoxFan
08-18-2005, 11:53 AM
No, that was a good vent!

I'm wearing a Bad News Bears jersey until we win a damn home game, because that's what we feel like. You're right: lethargic. Lifeless. Embarassing.

After that second homer I went to the bathroom at the Cell. I usually watch all the pitches but last night, I knew we were done. And it was, like, the third inning. Man, how things have changed since June.

And this is what scares me about being the leaders for so long... you don't have to scrap for it. And when those teams at the end scrap, and get on a roll, they roll their way into the playoffs and/or WS. Hopefully we'll remember what it was like at the beginning of the year, when everybody said the "remade" team was a joke, that we traded away our power, that we'd be lucky to finish third in the Central and this was merely an "experiment" because we had no answer to the Twins' dominance.

But of late, forget "Win or Die Trying." It's more like "Die. Just Die. Painfully. In front of your sellout crowd. Again."

Sxy Mofo
08-18-2005, 12:14 PM
As an entirely too 'glass is half full' type of person, I believe the sox will pull out of this as quickly as they went in.

I mean, KC at one point after the new manager came in had an above .500 record. Well, they have proceeded to lose, what 18 straight since then? It can up as quickly as it can go down.

The bottom line is the team that wins the world series is the team that's hottest from Oct. to early Nov. not the team that's hottest from April to July, or the team that's hottest from June-August, or even the team that's hottest in September.

That said, the white sox have got to start playing smarter baseball (the errors, baserunning gaffes and complete lack of making the smart swing to get the job done have all taken their toll lately), and I believe they will regain that focus come playoff time, and hopefully sooner rather than later. That's the one thing you lose playing with a comfortable lead. Think about it, if you've ever played golf against someone, one on one... and you've ever been up 15 strokes through 12 holes. I've done that a few times... the concentration is just not there like it was, you begin making stupid mistakes. It's human nature.

mdep524
08-18-2005, 12:22 PM

We knew the game was over. We're down 3-0, and we knew, in the stands, that this would be a lead we'd never overcome. Back in April, this would be unheard of. Of course, back in April, we always had the lead, if you even remember that little streak. Up until the 8th inning, the only thing of interest was whether or not Santana would throw a no-hitter against our lame, absurd, minor-league offense. LV, I agree that this is the most insulting thing of all. You are completely right, the park had no energy at all after the Twins took that lead. I was talking about that in the bleachers- I remember going to those April and May games, and the intensity never dwindled. The 6th, 7th and 8th innings were the Sox part of the game- they'd come through with whatever it took to squeeze out some runs and win the game.

Last night, the crowd and the players looked like they were ready to go home after 6. Dog days of summer + 11 game lead + slumping bats = low energy. It won't last long-- at least one of those three factors will change soon.

CYGarland20
08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
We'll face Radke, Johan and Mays in the Twinkie Dome next week. Joy.No we get Silva, Mays, and Santana. Radke pitches on sunday

RowanDye
08-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't know how the enthusiasm of a home crowd relates to the momentum of a team (likely a symbiotic relationship), but I would guess that the "true" fans that were at the Cell in April were still holding out hope last night. As the crowds get bigger you get a lot more peripheral fans at the ballpark who are more likely to fold up their seat cushion when trailing by 4+ after 7 innings and go home. Better play at home would be nice, but "It is what it is"
If someone told me in March that this team (even with our current struggles) would have an 11 game division lead on August 18th I would have thought they were crazy. This team was built for battle in the Central and when Pods comes back they will rip off some winning streaks that will put this last week behind us. The coming schedule is a little duanting with our offense scuffling, but as long as we end the skid against NY this weekend, this slump only serves to show KW, Ozzie, etc. just how close the line is between winning and losing. It's up to them to decide if we need more help.

BeviBall!
08-18-2005, 03:35 PM
No we get Silva, Mays, and Santana. Radke pitches on sunday

Ah. I still don't feel any better about it.

Hangar18
08-18-2005, 03:56 PM
LV, I agree that this is the most insulting thing of all. You are completely right, the park had no energy at all after the Twins took that lead. I was talking about that in the bleachers- I remember going to those April and May games, and the intensity never dwindled. The 6th, 7th and 8th innings were the Sox part of the game- they'd come through with whatever it took to squeeze out some runs and win the game.

Last night, the crowd and the players looked like they were ready to go home after 6. Dog days of summer + 11 game lead + slumping bats = low energy. It won't last long-- at least one of those three factors will change soon.

This is absolutely right. This is about the 1st time ive noticed that this year .......I was going to start a new thread about it, but was too Dark Clouded to start it. When I walked in the park, I went to say Hi to Nancy and the
mood of EVERYONE was unreal ............ just a very Gloomy crowd .......
almost as if everyone expected another loss ............ it was a weird Vibe.
But its a vibe that Ive felt before. 2001. 1998. I hope these guys
can turn this around and rise up again .......:(:

shoota
08-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Dog days of summer + 11 game lead + slumping bats = low energy. It won't last long-- at least one of those three factors will change soon.

Interesting analysis. That's a sentence that is both optimistic or pessimistic, depending on the reader.

Hang a star on that one.

LVSoxFan
08-18-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm glad you said that Hangar because I felt it too, like people were expecting the loss. And that's a first. Even when Boston came to town, good as they are (and they are good), we were up for it.

Or, look on the bright side: maybe it shows how into the team most of the fans are. We realize we're in a slump, they outhustled us the night before, Santana's on the mound, and the Twins always play great 2nd half ball. Maybe that was what was fueling the gloom.

But I hated it. The Cell just felt last night like it never had before. Especially considering we're still in first and 30 games over .500. Granted, the quick 2-0 then 3-0 lead sort of snuffed it all out. Or, after 3 innings and still not one Sox hit.

But enough: I'll be there tomorrow night screaming my head off. We will WILL this team to victory, if that's what it takes! Enough of this losing s***.

patbooyah
08-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Just remember what you are essentially saying. You are implying the Sox are losing games because their manager and catcher are too busy looking for women in the stands. I heard that there is a Sun-Times columnist with an understudy program you'd be perfect for.

I say we rip those benches out of there, blow them up, mix them with some spaghetti sauce and sell it to Sox fans to get the team back on track. :rolleyes:

well, i overheard bill melton say that it was unbelievable how much time ozzie spent looking at women. so when i was in the scout seats i started looking. my dad, my brothers and i were amazed at how much this team has its neck craned looking out into the crowd. it is unreal. so yeah- maybe it is an unfounded theory, but considering the team's plight at home, maybe they need to focus a little harder on winning.

starboy0
08-18-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm glad you said that Hangar because I felt it too, like people were expecting the loss. And that's a first. Even when Boston came to town, good as they are (and they are good), we were up for it.

Or, look on the bright side: maybe it shows how into the team most of the fans are. We realize we're in a slump, they outhustled us the night before, Santana's on the mound, and the Twins always play great 2nd half ball. Maybe that was what was fueling the gloom.

But I hated it. The Cell just felt last night like it never had before. Especially considering we're still in first and 30 games over .500. Granted, the quick 2-0 then 3-0 lead sort of snuffed it all out. Or, after 3 innings and still not one Sox hit.

But enough: I'll be there tomorrow night screaming my head off. We will WILL this team to victory, if that's what it takes! Enough of this losing s***.

Very accurate post. How different it felt last night from the night we played the Dodgers when we were down 3-1 and then everyone in the stadium "willed" our last few batters to come through culminating in AJ's homerun. Even with two outs in the 9th we felt we could come back and win and we did!

The lads don't have that swagger, we fans are bummed and so goes the cycle.

Hopefully this day off will help to clear the negativity. I'm glad you'll be there rooting Saturday "willing" them to win. I'll be there Sunday doing the same thing.

Our magic number: 33
Cleveland's magic number: 54

Argalarga
08-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I smell a Moronotti column about the benches coming if the Sox don't pick up a few wins this weekend.

alohafri
08-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Untill this teams lead in the central drops from double figures to less than 5 games, everyone needs to

:prozac

A losing streak is one thing. These guys look like they have been phoning it in since the All-Star Game. Are they reading their press clippings?

Where would we play Griffey? Hawk, have you been drinking the bong water? A guy who is pretty much a lock for the Hall of Fame and you don't want to sit anyone on this team? Give me a break!

LVSoxFan
08-18-2005, 05:24 PM
I smell a Moronotti column about the benches coming if the Sox don't pick up a few wins this weekend.

Hey you know what? I don't find the bench theory that out there, and if that's the problem and Mariotti writes about it and that's what it takes, then so be it.

Where are these "benches"? I haven't noticed them. How can they be facing the crowd?

(I'm usually in the outfield).

RallyBowl
08-18-2005, 05:50 PM
:moron
"That's a great idea for a column. I guess there are SOME smart Sox fans who waste their life on the internet."

DAllen15
08-18-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm not buying any of the arguments that the Sox don't do well at home because they have had to play in front of big crowds. It sounds like witchcraft or voodoo to me. I still think the primary problem afflicting the Sox offense has been the poor play/absence of Podsednik due to injury. He's the ignitor. I think it's quite possible that the Sox will struggle until he comes off the disabled list.

I agree with not buying into the witchcraft or voodoo, but for whatever reason, the sox seem to lack the mental fortitude to get up for big games, especially at home. Most of the things we are all concerned with on these message boards, especially the plays that make the difference in games, can be attributed to their "aggressiveness" or the teams "concentration". This is what separates championship teams from those who just make the playoffs. Did MJ ever let an injury to himself or a teammate slow him down, and if it did, did you ever question his heart or effort afterwords?

My biggest concern is how this team plans to be successful in the post season, and you start laying those plans right about now, 11 game lead or not. I think everyone recognizes the difference in the teams energy from the beginning of the season versus now. If they were coming up short because of injuries, ect, fine. But to play flat and with no energy, these are things championship teams need to rise above and learn to bring it to the ball park every night. Particularly the sold out ball park versus your number one division rival.

I think we all have seen them slipping since the all-star break and the frustration builds because we know they are capable of more unlike the 2000 team. This is not a dark cloud thread, just voicing my concern. I have faith that this team has enough of a veteran presence (versus the "kids can play")in the pitching rotation, and on the field to make the necessary adjustments, plus a manager that wears his heart on his sleeve versus Jerry "wake me up when its over" Manual. It's just painful to wait for them to rebound and live through the slump in the meantime.

Go Sox!

DickAllen72
08-18-2005, 07:23 PM

Great point about the lack of speed. For a team supposedly built on speed and defense, the only really fast players the Sox had on the team were Pods, Willie and Ozuna. Unfortuneately, Pods is out, Willie is gone and Ozuna isn't very good defensively. But we still have Timo...