PDA

View Full Version : Cubs record shattered last night

SouthSide_HitMen
08-17-2005, 02:03 PM
until last night, only two players in baseball history - Mike Vail on 6/30/79 and Andre Dawson on 4/21/91 - have ever hit Grand Slam home runs in extra innings IN A LOSING EFFORT. Craig Monroe joins these Cubs in the record books last night.

GoGoSoxReborn
08-17-2005, 03:30 PM
...and in other pointless news the sky is still blue!

Rocky Soprano
08-17-2005, 04:31 PM
...and in other pointless news the sky is still blue!

Glad someone else thought the same thing.

patbooyah
08-17-2005, 04:36 PM
eh. i think it is interesting. can we try to cut down on the critiquing of other people's posts unless they are complete trolls/dark clouds?

Rocky Soprano
08-17-2005, 04:38 PM
eh. i think it is interesting. can we try to cut down on the critiquing of other people's posts unless they are complete trolls/dark clouds?

I didn't mean it to be critiquing, the whole Cub aspect thing of the post made me say, WHO CARES.

SOXintheBURGH
08-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Dude...

Huisj
08-17-2005, 07:04 PM
It's kind of an interesting little tidbit of information just because it's rare and strange. However I didn't really get how it "shattered a Cub record." No record was broken--there was simple another player added to the very short list of players who have done this.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-19-2005, 03:07 AM
It's kind of an interesting little tidbit of information just because it's rare and strange. However I didn't really get how it "shattered a Cub record." No record was broken--there was simple another player added to the very short list of players who have done this.

Thanks - I put it up here because I thought it was interesting that:

1. This has ever happened (Grand Slam in extra innings still not good enough for a win) and

2. Two cubs were the only ones in the history of baseball to hit grand slams in extra innings with the result of defeat.

I agree it wasn't a "cub" record per say like 1908 - 2005 is the all time record of not winning a championship in professional sports but it was funny (at least to me) that two cub teams were the only ones until this week not to win in extra innings after hitting a grand slam in the extra frames.

JKryl
08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
For most Sox fans, the next best thing to a Sox win is a Cub loss. And for them to go down with a Grand Salami is just that much more icing on the cake. Lighten up guys, we're still in it, and they aren't. And, I get to have the smug look on my face with all my north side friends, instead of the other way around, like last year.

TDog
08-19-2005, 11:02 AM
I was sure a Kansas City player would be the next to accomplish this feat.