View Full Version : "There are lies, damned lies and statistics." - Mark Twain

CallMeNuts
08-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Statistics show Twins now like White Sox then

Joe Christensen, Minneapolis Star Tribune

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5563947.html

balke
08-17-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm not even going to read this cause I'm sure its pure tripe. All I gotta say is, I can't wait for Buehrle to shut down Santana and shut the mediots' traps.

Chez
08-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm not even going to read this cause I'm sure its pure tripe. All I gotta say is, I can't wait for Buehrle to shut down Santana and shut the mediots' traps.

Hey Balke, you stayed up too late last night, didn't you? Cranky, right? Perhaps you should read the article before getting pissed off by it. It's even-handed.

FielderJones
08-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Perhaps you should read the article before getting pissed off by it. It's even-handed.

You mean we shouldn't call it the Minneapolis Star-Cubune?

balke
08-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Hey Balke, you stayed up too late last night, didn't you? Cranky, right? Perhaps you should read the article before getting pissed off by it. It's even-handed.

Worse, took a 3 hour trip today listening to sports talk radio. :angry:

Hangar18
08-17-2005, 01:48 PM
I read this article, and its right on the money.
We simply are not hitting, and havnt been hitting all year, and its gotten
worse to tell the truth. The slightest change in our pitching is bearing
this out .......... I guess the Pitching and Defense wins games theory
doesnt apply to the SOX

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 01:59 PM
As Hawk is fond of point out, there are no statistics that measure situational hitting, except perhaps for sacrifice hits and sacrifice flies. The Sox until lately have been excellent at hitting as befits the situation. The lack of situational hitting has been hurting lately, and interestingly enough it coincides with the problems Podsednik has had since the All-Star break.

That's why DLing him was a good thing. What Ozzie needs to do is find a combination for the next 10 days or so that will minimize the damage caused by Podsednik's absence. He hasn't done that yet, and Timo Perez in the leadoff spot isn't even close to the answer.

Paulwny
08-17-2005, 02:04 PM
As Hawk is fond of point out, there are no statistics that measure situational hitting, except perhaps for sacrifice hits and sacrifice flies. The Sox until lately have been excellent at hitting as befits the situation. The lack of situational hitting has been hurting lately, and interestingly enough it coincides with the problems Podsednik has had since the All-Star break.

That's why DLing him was a good thing. What Ozzie needs to do is find a combination for the next 10 days or so that will minimize the damage caused by Podsednik's absence. He hasn't done that yet, and Timo Perez in the leadoff spot isn't even close to the answer.

I guess we didn't realize how fragile this offense was until Podsednik's problems and then the dl.

balke
08-17-2005, 02:20 PM
I read this article, and its right on the money.
We simply are not hitting, and havnt been hitting all year, and its gotten
worse to tell the truth. The slightest change in our pitching is bearing
this out .......... I guess the Pitching and Defense wins games theory
doesnt apply to the SOX

Except for that whole best record in the Majors thing.

zach23
08-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Except for that whole best record in the Majors thing.

C'mon, any other team with good pitching and defense would have at least 75 wins by now.

DaleJRFan
08-17-2005, 02:33 PM
I guess we didn't realize how fragile this offense was until Podsednik's problems and then the dl.

I'd wager that the offensive struggles go far beyond Pods health. Guys who were "money" early on are slumping and have been. Dye is 0-87 or some crazy amount of at-bats, ARow is K-ing way too much, Iguchi isn't hitting well (I guess 270 isn't good enough, even for Gooch!), same for AJ, Carl, Uribe, Crede...

PK is the only guy with a bat who is earning his paycheck right now.

The thing that scares me, that I noticed in my infinite baseball wisdom, is recently when Buehrle and Garland pitch against good lineups - the teams we'll face in the post season, they get their asses handed to them. Oakland, Anaheim, Boston, etc... our "big two" shut down KC, Seattle, Baltimore, etc... the teams that don't matter. I hope that changes. Maybe I am overreacting, as I usually do.

Since winning pitcher of the month in June, MB is 3-3 with a 4.50 ERA
Garland, since his stellar June is 4-3 with a 4.37 ERA

The bad games?
MB - Boston, Oakland (twice), KC (ugh)
JG - Toronto, Boston, Oakland (twice)

I'm not bitching 'bout the pitching. If a guy goes 6 or 7 innings and gives up 2 or 3 earned, maybe 4 total runs, the offense and pullpen should be able to win the game. The bullpen has been fantastic, but the offense has sucked.

What really sucks is that the Sox play as of late has given all of the baseball pundants exactly what they need to justify their "LuckSox" or "FlukeSox" comments and it makes them seemingly accurate to the sheepish ESPN viewership.

The thing is, it is mid August and the Sox have an 11.5 game lead. I completely agree with the posters who state that the Sox should take it easy for a few weeks, get the September callups comfortable, get some guys rested... and then play like heck into the post season.