PDA

View Full Version : Someone Remind me .... Why did we let Graffanino go?

Hangar18
08-17-2005, 11:50 AM
It was because he supposedly wanted to be a "starter" correct?

jdm2662
08-17-2005, 11:52 AM

Yes, he wanted to be a starter and KW couldn't guarentee him a spot. KC did and hence, he jumped. Can't say I blame him.

bluestar
08-17-2005, 11:54 AM

I also seem to remember a lot of people insisting that he could not be an everyday player.

MsSoxVixen22
08-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Maybe its just me, but I liked Graffinino. He was a pretty good hitter. He seems to be doing well in Boston though. I don't blame him for leaving either. We should she if he's available!

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Who started instead of him? Valentin?

BRDSR
08-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Maybe its just me, but I liked Graffinino. He was a pretty good hitter. He seems to be doing well in Boston though. I don't blame him for leaving either. We should she if he's available!

Its not just you. Right around the time he was leaving the Sox(either right before or right after) Reinsdorf came out and said Graff was on his of his favorite two or three players on the team. Hell, the man could have been a starter on this team in 2004, no doubt about it. I'd rather have seen him at 2nd and Willie coming off the bench to run or whatever. Good, solid utility men is probably one of the most underrated, underpaid positions in baseball. The Sox should have ponied up and given him a reason to stay with the Sox.

kittle42
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Not having Tony Graffanino or a comparable player does not make or break this team, but certainly having a guy "good enough" to start at 2B for the East Coast Cubs would be better than Blum/Harris/Ozuna.

DaleJRFan
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Isn't Graffy hitting at some ridiculous 400+ clip now since joining Boston??

I_Liked_Manuel
08-17-2005, 12:13 PM
i'm sure tony g. is the solution to some of our problems right now

i've never understood the obsession with graffanino

DaleJRFan
08-17-2005, 12:20 PM
i've never understood the obsession with graffanino

...and you also liked Jerry Manuel.

Hangar18
08-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Thats the guy KW should have went out and picked up when we had a chance , he could have been playing 3rd base for us right now, but like evryone else we supposedly were going after thier team would'nt deal with the White Sox, I'm beginning to think that all of the garbage we were fed about JR letting KW go out and get what this team needs to get to the World Series was a bunch of c.r.a.p. JR's bottom line put people in the seats with the cheapest product they can put out on the field. So now without Big Frank and Scotty Pods thats exactly what we have got.

That was the point of the conversations I had with people in the stands
the last couple of nites, after watching Blum grounding out. We NEVER
shouldve let Graffanino just walk away. Dont buy the he "jumped" at the
chance to start ....for a brutal KC team. He was kindly pushed out the door
in order to save some money. Sure ...... utility guys shouldnt be making lots
of money is the edict, but a guy like him who was very valuable, shouldve been the exception. We didnt have a guy like him to take over (Gload doesnt count) and look what happens, we end up trading to get a guy just like him (Blum, much more economical, and .200 hitting)
When I heard that Boston was interested in him, we Definitely shouldve correceted our first mistake and reacquired him. Im sure the Royals werent
in the mood to play the part of the Pitts Pirates and help us out.

:angry:

It's Time
08-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Im sure the Royals werent

What is this supposed to mean?

Flight #24
08-17-2005, 12:28 PM
That was the point of the conversations I had with people in the stands
the last couple of nites, after watching Blum grounding out. We NEVER
shouldve let Graffanino just walk away. Dont buy the he "jumped" at the
chance to start ....for a brutal KC team. He was kindly pushed out the door
in order to save some money. Sure ...... utility guys shouldnt be making lots
of money is the edict, but a guy like him who was very valuable, shouldve been the exception. We didnt have a guy like him to take over (Gload doesnt count) and look what happens, we end up trading to get a guy just like him (Blum, much more economical, and .200 hitting)
When I heard that Boston was interested in him, we Definitely shouldve correceted our first mistake and reacquired him. Im sure the Royals werent

Don't let facts interfere with a good rant, Hangar, but it was a starting spot. In fact, IIRC Graffy left behind similar $$$ in Chicago.

Hangar18
08-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Don't let facts interfere with a good rant, Hangar, but it was a starting spot. In fact, IIRC Graffy left behind similar $$$ in Chicago.

Is there anywhere to confirm the numbers? I can never find it. He makes it seem like they werent offering enough ........but to jump to KC? yeesh

Flight #24
08-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Is there anywhere to confirm the numbers? I can never find it. He makes it seem like they werent offering enough ........but to jump to KC? yeesh

Per KFFL, Graffy signed a 2-yr deal worth $2.2M with the Royals in the 03-04 offseason. I highly doubt he was getting an offer worth significantly less from the Sox.

jdm2662
08-17-2005, 12:38 PM

You do realize they were 83-79 in 2003 and led the division for a good chunk of the season right? It wasn't like he was going to a team just off losing 110 games.

StillMissOzzie
08-17-2005, 12:54 PM

I believe Hangar18 is complaining that the Royals aren't willing to bend over backwards and become soft-touch trading partners with the Sox like the Pirates have become the AAAA affiliate to the ScRubs.

Back to the topic at hand, if Tony G was willing to take more money for the chance to play every day for the pathetic Royals, there's nothing that the Sox could have done. I highly doubt that the Sox would have matched their offer for a backup/utility role, and he might not have taken it anyhow. Sure seems to have landed on his feet, though.

SMO
:gulp:

anewman35
08-17-2005, 12:57 PM
We NEVER shouldve let Graffanino just walk away.

Yeah, damn that free agency! Bring back the reserve clause! Players should never get to walk away!

TaylorStSox
08-17-2005, 03:17 PM
He's a way better hitter than Joe Crede who I think we've waited for long enough and Tony G can field almost as well. Plus he can give Uribe a rest and Gooch a rest.

You know we're talking about Tony Graffanino right? He's a career utility man for a reason. He's a better contact hitter than Crede, but his defense is average at best. A year with Graffy at the hot corner would be scary.

Dolanski
08-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Graf left because he was going to be given a chance to start in KC as well as a two year deal. We were offering one year. Money was similar, but he wanted to start and wanted stability. Can't blame anyone for looking for a better opportunity and some stability.

As far as him starting, might I remind you that he is filling in and doing a great job in the short run, like say, another player did, on the other side of town named Nefi Perez. I like Tony G, but he wasn't worth keeping at the time, and as far as him being a starter, yeah, see how well Nefi has been doing and you can just about expect the same over a longer period of time from Tony. As far as I am concerned, Geoff Blum is doing about as good as Tony G would.

shoota
08-17-2005, 04:01 PM

I think the better question is why didn't we re-acquire him this year?

IMO, Graffaninose would have been a better acquisition than Geoff Blum.

I_Liked_Manuel
08-17-2005, 04:48 PM
He's a way better hitter than Joe Crede who I think we've waited for long enough and Tony G can field almost as well. Plus he can give Uribe a rest and Gooch a rest.

i don't think tony's defense has ever been anywhere near as good as crede's.

what's the point of this thread? blum is doing the exact same thing graffanino would be doing if he was here. do you guys want another utility guy on top of blum and ozuna? i don't see any reason for that.

another thing for whoever keeps complaining about why he left in the first place- would you rather be a utility guy on a team that couldn't seem to get it done, or a starter on a team coming off a season where a lot of potential was shown? i believe the royals were challenging until the beginning of september in 2003.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2005, 04:53 PM
According to Levine, Williams thought he had deals done for both Tony and Randa and both were shot down at the last minute.

Lip

shoota
08-17-2005, 05:05 PM
According to Levine, Williams thought he had deals done for both Tony and Randa and both were shot down at the last minute.

Lip

I didn't know that. How heartbreaking.

FielderJones
08-17-2005, 06:25 PM
As far as him starting, might I remind you that he is filling in and doing a great job in the short run, like say, another player did, on the other side of town named Nefi Perez. I like Tony G, but he wasn't worth keeping at the time, and as far as him being a starter, yeah, see how well Nefi has been doing and you can just about expect the same over a longer period of time from Tony. As far as I am concerned, Geoff Blum is doing about as good as Tony G would.

You consider .313 in 262 at bats to be the short run?
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/7656
That's 70% of Crede's ABs. If it was less than 50% I might buy the part-time player argument, but this guy is playing quite a bit.

fquaye149
08-17-2005, 07:07 PM

Hangar is in love with Jim Hendry and is obsessed over the two decent deals he pulled with Pittsburgh vulturing the contracts of Lofton, Simon, and Ramirez

fquaye149
08-17-2005, 07:08 PM

This thread is 87 miles beyond ridiculous

SpammySosa
08-17-2005, 11:13 PM

Because he slept with Cindy Sandberg.:redneck

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Because he slept with Cindy Sandberg.:redneck

Didn't everybody?