PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sweeney

cheeses_h_rice
08-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Mike Sweeney has cleared waivers, but I have not heard his name mentioned very much as far as potential acquisitions. Is it because of his position (1B)? Salary?

Madvora
08-17-2005, 10:28 AM
It's also because KC is in the division. The only time I heard his name come up was the thread about Gammons announcing that Griffey and Sweeney cleared waivers and how he expected the Sox or Angels to get one of them.

He's been on my mind a lot, but no real rumors out there.

Tekijawa
08-17-2005, 10:30 AM
It's also because KC is in the division. The only time I heard his name come up was the thread about Gammons announcing that Griffey and Sweeney cleared waivers and how he expected the Sox or Angels to get one of them.

He's been on my mind a lot, but no real rumors out there.

Have there been any real Griffey rumors out there?

Soxzilla
08-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Well, the fact he only plays 1B, and is yet another right handed bat.

It would be great to have him over walnuts next year...but Griffey would be a much better player to acquire.

FRANK FORT
08-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Sweeney would be a great pick up. Although the Royals are in the same division, unless we gave them our entire minor league system I can't see them getting much better. Haven't they lost 17 or someting in a row? Let's get Sweeney before Anaheim does. At the very least he won't be able to hit two home runs per game against us anymore.

08-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Sweeney has a VERY strict no trade clause and the teams who would go to are in California (his home state) or Arizona....Sox are not on there for sure....I think any KC player that was there for the Ligue crap has a sour taste about playing for the Sox...but just stratch Sweeney off your wish list

cheeses_h_rice
08-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Sweeney has a VERY strict no trade clause and the teams who would go to are in California (his home state) or Arizona....Sox are not on there for sure....I think any KC player that was there for the Ligue crap has a sour taste about playing for the Sox...but just stratch Sweeney off your wish list

OK, that definitely un-muddies the waters concerning him. Thanks.

Schmedly
08-21-2005, 01:19 AM
If Sweeney's available, get him!
This guy is worth the money since he's a money player.

Chisox003
08-21-2005, 02:01 AM
If Sweeney's available, get him!
This guy is worth the money since he's a money player.
:KW
"Well if Schmedly said I should do it,
dog-gonnit I best pull the trigger. Jerry,
I need a huge payroll increase and your
OK on Celling, I mean selling, the farm."

:rolleyes:

Tragg
08-21-2005, 11:11 AM
While I admit we need all the help we can get right now, as a general principle, Sweeney is the precise type of player that we DON'T need.

He has only fair power and for the last 2 years, he hasn't walk much (and what he walks is due to his position in the middle of the order). It looks like he's getting worse.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2005, 12:07 PM
The Royals are also insisting that any club that wants Sweeney has to take on his entire salary. They will not pay one dime to off set it AND they want three top prospects according to The Sporting News.

Lip

shoota
08-21-2005, 12:19 PM

If I were in his shoes, I'd jump out of them for the chance to get the heck out of Kansas City. 19 in a row or a World Series contender?

greenpeach
08-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Some players don't like the spotlight. Maybe he likes playing in KC under relative anonymity ? I've heard of stranger things.