PDA

View Full Version : Was DJ on drugs last night?

cheeses_h_rice
08-17-2005, 10:35 AM
I have to say, having stayed up to watch almost the entirety of the game (my TV went off the second the Twins scored in the 16th -- that offense wasn't going to score in the bottom half of the inning if its life depended on it), I found the TV announcing by Hawk and DJ as the game progressed into extra innings to be TERRIBLE.

Hawk was mopey and crabby, and disappeared for several batters at a time, if not entire half innings. Which left DJ by himself, who made about 300 mistakes in calling what inning it was, what the batters had done during the game, etc. It was like he completely fell apart when having to take over by himself. I realize it was a 5-hour game, but the quality of the play by play and commentary was strictly Minor League, IMO.

I now can't stand DJ, period, and I think Hawk needs to be more of a professional and stop moping and being petulant when the Sox aren't scoring. It's totally irritating.

Clembasbal
08-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I did the exact thing (turning it off as soon as the Twins scored) and recall the same irritation with DJ.

I was wondering where Hawk was, I was only thinking that he was sleeping or putting his wife to sleep or checking up on her. Then I thought DJ was just at a loss out there. It would have been better if they asked somebody to join him in the booth just to shoot the wind. Something was better than DJ's performance.

tacosalbarojas
08-17-2005, 10:40 AM
I have to say, having stayed up to watch almost the entirety of the game (my TV went off the second the Twins scored in the 16th -- that offense wasn't going to score in the bottom half of the inning if its life depended on it), I found the TV announcing by Hawk and DJ as the game progressed into extra innings to be TERRIBLE.

Hawk was mopey and crabby, and disappeared for several batters at a time, if not entire half innings. Which left DJ by himself, who made about 300 mistakes in calling what inning it was, what the batters had done during the game, etc. It was like he completely fell apart when having to take over by himself. I realize it was a 5-hour game, but the quality of the play by play and commentary was strictly Minor League, IMO.

I now can't stand DJ, period, and I think Hawk needs to be more of a professional and stop moping and being petulant when the Sox aren't scoring. It's totally irritating.From the 11th inning on last night, the "broadcasting" was shameful. If you don't want the gig, step aside, and let someone who does want it do the job. This goes for both our TV personalities. Hawk should have the clause in his contract that allows him to leave the booth whenever he wants revoked, stat.

Baby Fisk
08-17-2005, 10:45 AM
DJ's off-key "serenading" of Sox hitters, imploring them to get a hit, was perhaps the low point of his broadcasting career. I don't care if that gets him some action in the bedroom -- DJ must never sing on air again!

soxjim
08-17-2005, 10:49 AM
I noticed the coverage fell apart as well. Hawk is just disgusted like the rest of us. If we don't fall totally apart in September. We will be gone in the first round again. I also noticed DJ taking the top half of innings after the 11th. Any one else notice this?

Kogs35
08-17-2005, 10:50 AM
why does dj get excited for when the opposing team scores but is dead for when the sox score?

soxjim
08-17-2005, 10:56 AM
why does dj get excited for when the opposing team scores but is dead for when the sox score?

I noticed that too. Garcia gave up a run in the first and DJ seemed excited that it was only one run. Which I admit could of been more. However, with our offense as of late we can't keep digging these holes for ourselfs.

bennyw41
08-17-2005, 11:03 AM
I love DJ. He was pulling teeth to get something out of Hawk, who was silent for the extras. Everyone hates DJ, but I think he is honest and his dry humor is funny. Get off his back.

LauraJ14
08-17-2005, 11:12 AM
I love DJ. He was pulling teeth to get something out of Hawk, who was silent for the extras. Everyone hates DJ, but I think he is honest and his dry humor is funny. Get off his back.

Maybe we wouldn't be on his back if when he talked, he had his facts straight.
He was talking about when Freddy Garcia got traded to the Twins and how hard it was when he had to face him in 1999. We all know that Freddy went to Seattle not the Twins.

Soxzilla
08-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Hawk - "Where's he gonna play? WHERE...IS...HE...GONNA...PLAY?"

My response....ANY-FRICKEN'-WHERE HE LIKES!:rolleyes:

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 11:19 AM
DJ's off-key "serenading" of Sox hitters, imploring them to get a hit, was perhaps the low point of his broadcasting career. I don't care if that gets him some action in the bedroom -- DJ must never sing on air again!

OMG I thought that was hilarious! Hey, c'mon--it's a 16 inning game and our offense sure wasn't giving anybody anything to talk about!

If that means DJ has to sing "Tada, just be a hero..." then so be it. Blame our offense for providing Hawk and DJ all the dead air, not DJ's on-acid singing! LOL!

Andy T Clown
08-17-2005, 11:29 AM

That was as pitiful as Harry singing the Jody Davis song. If he ever sings again, he should be taken out back and shot.

Jerko
08-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Jodeeeeeeeee, Jody Davis, king of the wild fronteir. Actually, I was in pain watching the game last night, but I could stop at anytime. Hawk and DJ were stuck there and I'm sure they were tired. They don't get to the park right at game time I'm sure and it was a looooooooooooong night. They were pretty bad but I'll cut them some slack, THIS time.

Malgar 12
08-17-2005, 11:34 AM
That was as pitiful as Harry singing the Jody Davis song. If he ever sings again, he should be taken out back and shot.

At least he didn't make excuses for Adkins like Hawk did.

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 11:40 AM
I still stand by my point that there'd be a lot less non-sequitir air-filling if the Sox gave them something to talk about.

Not to be an apologist (put away your knives!) but after four hours, answering COUNTLESS email questions (some quite fascinating, I may add) and giving endless shout-outs ("Wheaton High School?.... yes!"), just what the hell is there to talk about?

I'll tell you what: start talking about what the Sox aren't getting done. But Hawk's no Steve Stone--he's a company guy. So since that's off-limits, we get things like DJ's singing (LOL!) and Hawk letting us know that Denzel is one of his favorite actors (okay) and that he thinks he's a dead ringer for Darryl Strawberry (uh... what?).

cheeses_h_rice
08-17-2005, 11:42 AM
I still stand by my point that there'd be a lot less non-sequitir air-filling if the Sox gave them something to talk about.

Not to be an apologist (put away your knives!) but after four hours, answering COUNTLESS email questions (some quite fascinating, I may add) and giving endless shout-outs ("Wheaton High School?.... yes!"), just what the hell is there to talk about?

I'll tell you what: start talking about what the Sox aren't getting done. But Hawk's no Steve Stone--he's a company guy. So since that's off-limits, we get things like DJ's singing (LOL!) and Hawk letting us know that Denzel is one of his favorite actors (okay) and that he thinks he's a dead ringer for Darryl Strawberry (uh... what?).

Just announce the damn game, and get your facts straight. Is that too much to ask for? DJ was screwing everything up, and kept getting the inning wrong around the 13th.

downstairs
08-17-2005, 11:43 AM
OMG I thought that was hilarious! Hey, c'mon--it's a 16 inning game and our offense sure wasn't giving anybody anything to talk about!

If that means DJ has to sing "Tada, just be a hero..." then so be it. Blame our offense for providing Hawk and DJ all the dead air, not DJ's on-acid singing! LOL!

I'm with you. I was loving it!

BainesHOF
08-17-2005, 11:43 AM
It's ridiculous how often Hawk leaves the booth. I like him, but if he can't stick around to work three hours a day then it's time to find a replacement. What other announcer just stops announcing on virtually a daily basis?

scottjanssens
08-17-2005, 11:48 AM
but after four hours, answering COUNTLESS email questions (some quite fascinating, I may add) and giving endless shout-outs ("Wheaton High School?.... yes!"), just what the hell is there to talk about?

He could talk about Mariotti. That's always fun to listen to.

TomBradley72
08-17-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm with you. I was loving it!

The whole "Bill Don't Be a Hero" thing was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard on a WSox broadcast. Hawk wasn't into it, it wasn't funny....but our idiot announcer DJ kept going to the well. You could compile a whole video of DJ low points ("Oh myyyyy!, etc.). And DJ...we know you played in Japan a few years...you don't need to remind us EVERY game. He's bad...in the tradition of: JC Martin, Lou Brock, Mary Shane, Early Wynn...I will pray every night that he is let go in the off season.

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 12:04 PM
The whole "Bill Don't Be a Hero" thing was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard on a WSox broadcast. Hawk wasn't into it, it wasn't funny....but our idiot announcer DJ kept going to the well. You could compile a whole video of DJ low points ("Oh myyyyy!, etc.). And DJ...we know you played in Japan a few years...you don't need to remind us EVERY game. He's bad...in the tradition of: JC Martin, Lou Brock, Mary Shane, Early Wynn...I will pray every night that he is let go in the off season.

Aren't you being just a tad too overbearing on this?

Like I said: what are these guys supposed to be talking to in the tail end of a five-hour game? Giving expert analysis on our non-offense? Marveling at our leaving men stranded on base? Talking about who's left in the bullpen--oops! Nobody!

They answered the emails, gave the shout-outs, updated us on the scores repeatedly (I GOT IT! CLEVELAND WON 8-2!)... really, are you that offended that they get a little silly up there sometimes?

I mean, put it this way: let's say it was the ESPN pros--what would they be talking about?

Chisox353014
08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
You know, I wonder if Hawk actually leaves the booth or not. Sometimes there will long periods of just DJ and then Hawk will say something out of the blue. This usually happens when the Sox are playing like last night. I think he just sits there too P.O.'d to speak. Either way, it's not fun to listen to.

TomBradley72
08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Aren't you being just a tad too overbearing on this?

Like I said: what are these guys supposed to be talking to in the tail end of a five-hour game? Giving expert analysis on our non-offense? Marveling at our leaving men stranded on base? Talking about who's left in the bullpen--oops! Nobody!

They answered the emails, gave the shout-outs, updated us on the scores repeatedly (I GOT IT! CLEVELAND WON 8-2!)... really, are you that offended that they get a little silly up there sometimes?

I mean, put it this way: let's say it was the ESPN pros--what would they be talking about?

Many years of frustration are behind this email...not just last night....his first year I gave him a "bye"...figuring he was learning....over the years...he's improved....but not much. He's the "Willie Harris" of announcers.

HITMEN OF 77
08-17-2005, 12:09 PM
I like DJ, I like what he adds to the game. I'd love to hear some audio or get the video of last nights game. The game lasted over 5 hours way into the night, I'm sure Hawk and DJ were both pretty tired by the end of the game so the announcing would be off a bit. Not to mention they get to the game hours before game time to go over things. Give 'em a break!

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
The "Willie Harris of announcers"!

LOL!

:D: :supernana:

DaleJRFan
08-17-2005, 12:16 PM

Why in the world would you pray for the misfortune of others? Pray for the hope that someone gets fired? Sick.

bludupree
08-17-2005, 12:37 PM

I'm with you. I thought DJ was hilarious. He has talked about singing before, Hawk told him he sucked, and now we got to hear how bad he was. I thought he was very entertaining.

I have seen Hawk and DJ get to the park 2-3 hours before game time. Announcing a baseball game for 5 hours isn't easy. I'm not really sure what the setup is with DJ taking the play-by-play in the 8th, but it seems that whenever that happens Hawk is silent. DJ did play-by-play for about 8 innings last night without Hawk saying much. I think we can cut him some slack.

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 12:40 PM
There wasn't really much to say! After the ninth, the Twins didn't score until the 16th and we... didn't score at all.

I mean, there's only so much oooohing and aaaaahing you can do over our popups, men left on base and grounding into double plays. :tongue:

Brian26
08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
You know, I wonder if Hawk actually leaves the booth or not.

He leaves the booth, trust me.

It was obvious last night when he came back and started harping on a blown call that had happened four batters earlier.

Sxy Mofo
08-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Looking objectively at our announcers... and I don't like DJ. Wimpy was awesome, and black jack made a good announcer... anyway,

Looking objectively, hawk is a whiner, sometimes a sulker, sometimes crabby when things aren't going well, gets too excited when they are.

But, when hawk is whining at a play, I'm whining. When he's sulking, I'm sulking. When he's crabby, I'm crabby. When he's excited, I'm excited. When continually harps on something, I'm probably still bitter about whatever it is he's harping about. (I still haven't forgiven the ref's for "the clip" Notre Dame vs. Colorado - still hate boston college (and the whole NCAA) for '93 - I'm still bitter about the W.sox playoffs is '93 and '00. Still bitter jim miller got hurt in the bears last playoff game... and still bitter that the called strike in the first inning of a game 3 weeks ago wasn't called a ball like it should've been).

Basically, what I'm saying is I'm as immature as hawk is, and wouldn't want it any other way.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2005, 01:22 PM
DJ has no business appearing anywhere near the broadcast booth of a professional major league team. He didn't when he first started and he doesn't now.

How he got this position and who made that decision are beyond me.

Lip

Sxy Mofo
08-17-2005, 01:23 PM
DJ has no business appearing anywhere near the broadcast booth of a professional major league team. He didn't when he first started and he doesn't now.

Lip

The joke that's been made too many times over the last few days. "he has some pictures"

Jerko
08-17-2005, 01:27 PM
:DJ
What did the snail say when he was on the turtle's back?

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

That's comedy gold right there.

jdm2662
08-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I've been noticing all season both of them have gotten worse and worse. Yesterday, I finally had it and turned the radio on. Doesn't really do any good for my HDTV, but I couldn't handle it anymore.

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I wish I could do the radio thing, but there's a delay, right?

jdm2662
08-17-2005, 01:39 PM
I wish I could do the radio thing, but there's a delay, right?

There's about a 2-3 second delay on regular TV which I'm used to because of Bears games. HDTV is like 7-10 which makes it not worth it.

Goose
08-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Not to mention they get to the game hours before game time to go over things. Give 'em a break!

How many hours before the game?? 2...3? C'mon...WE ALL WORK 8+ hours a day (and most likely in a much more stressful environment than working a ball game). It is unacceptable for me to stay off my responsibilities at work, why should it be OK for Hawk and DJ? I don't buy what you're selling.

Law11
08-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Ever notice how this guy will talk about an opposing player's stats usually a player in a funk and they come up with a big hit seconds later.

He did this when we were in Oakland, he did it again last night in the 1st talking about how Stewart wasnt hitting anything and was o for his last 17
and really in a funk... I said to my wife watch what happens and poof...
A double...

It remind me of the announcer in a basketball game who says a player hasnt missed a Ft all night, then.. Clank...

Just shutty DJ... :mad:

Baby Fisk
08-17-2005, 02:12 PM
How many hours before the game?? 2...3? C'mon...WE ALL WORK 8+ hours a day (and most likely in a much more stressful environment than working a ball game). It is unacceptable for me to stay off my responsibilities at work, why should it be OK for Hawk and DJ? I don't buy what you're selling.
Hawk's "disappearences" are becoming more prominent. Back when he'd slip out for an inning, that was OK. But as the season goes on there are starting to be more and lengthier silences from the Hawk during games. I love the Hawk, but he seems to be taking more and more time-outs during games, and that leaves us to suffer through way too much uninterrupted DJ.

:DJ
"Oooo Tadahito, I feel a song comin' on..."

Paulwny
08-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Hawk was probably seeing if any food was left at the press box buffet table. Every announcer in mlb takes an inning off for the free food in the press box.

hawkjt
08-17-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry but that was a ridiculous display of baseball broadcasting. I have never heard a one person booth for such long periods of time unless it is Vin Scully. DJ is so bad that when Hawk did the bottom of the innings it seemed like an orchestra compared to the dead top of the innings with no sidekick throwing in comments.

As for no action to comment on - what new? We go long periods without hitting in the regular innings- why should it stop in extras? Hawks breaks are just so much more noticeable this year. Is he physically unable to do it anymore? I like him but even Harry did all 9 innings late in his career. DJ was embarrassing and just has never gotten better. he is an empty vessel. He gawn.

HITMEN OF 77
08-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Hawk's "disappearences" are becoming more prominent. ."

This may be due to Hawks health, ie restroom breaks etc

mweflen
08-17-2005, 03:10 PM
I enjoy DJ. He's a total goofball. Drugs? Maybe. Bored? Last night, probably. But maybe he's just a silly guy who has a dream job that we're all jealous of.

Saying he doesn't know his baseball is crap, too. When he is calling/predicting pitch sequences, it is obvious that DJ knows his stuff.

The singing was, IMHO, hilarious.

Jeez, people, you'd think we had Ron Santo here or something.

HITMEN OF 77
08-17-2005, 03:11 PM

take into fact though, that they get up at 6 am, do whatever during the day (probably golf) then work the game until 12:00?? something in the morning, its a long day.

TomBradley72
08-17-2005, 03:43 PM

Lip

Well said Lip!!!!!:cool:

TomBradley72
08-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Ever notice how this guy will talk about an opposing player's stats usually a player in a funk and they come up with a big hit seconds later.

He did this when we were in Oakland, he did it again last night in the 1st talking about how Stewart wasnt hitting anything and was o for his last 17
and really in a funk... I said to my wife watch what happens and poof...
A double...

It remind me of the announcer in a basketball game who says a player hasnt missed a Ft all night, then.. Clank...

Just shutty DJ... :mad:

DJ is the king of...whatever he says/predicts...you can be sure the complete opposite will happen. My wife and I have played this game all season...when DJ says "no way he's bunting here"...you can be sure one is dropped down.

The guy is a complete joke.

Goose
08-17-2005, 03:48 PM
take into fact though, that they get up at 6 am, do whatever during the day (probably golf) then work the game until 12:00?? something in the morning, its a long day.

I would trade positions with those guys ANY DAY of the week and twice on Sunday. If my day consisted of waking up at 6:00 to play golf (this is not part of their job duties, so they don't have to do it), grabbing some good food (do they get per diem on the road?), then heading to a ball game to talk about baseball, I think I would be able to extend my workday a little bit (2-3 hours) every once in a while.

Hell, I spend more than the extra 2-3 hours a day on this board talking and reading about baseball AND I AM NOT EVEN GETTING PAID FOR IT.

I do not feel sorry for them at all. They have my dream job!

BarbG
08-17-2005, 03:50 PM

We were all cracking up here and believe me, we needed the laughs at that point.

Bo Donaldson might not have appreciated it, but sheesh. At least he tried.

Baby Fisk
08-17-2005, 04:57 PM
DJ is the king of...whatever he says/predicts...you can be sure the complete opposite will happen. My wife and I have played this game all season...when DJ says "no way he's bunting here"...you can be sure one is dropped down.

The guy is a complete joke.It is uncanny. DJ predicts a big hit from Rowand or Crede in a clutch situation, and they pop out. I cringe whenever he starts into one of his "predictions". ANNOUNCE WHAT HAPPENS -- DON'T MAKE PREDICTIONS! :angry:

SpammySosa
08-17-2005, 11:45 PM
What does this have to do with my commentary on the broadcast?

:darkcloud:

He has rained,sleeted,hailed and snowed on just about every thread I have read tonight.Walgreen's must have been out of his prescription.:rolleyes:

fquaye149
08-18-2005, 11:12 AM
It is uncanny. DJ predicts a big hit from Rowand or Crede in a clutch situation, and they pop out. I cringe whenever he starts into one of his "predictions". ANNOUNCE WHAT HAPPENS -- DON'T MAKE PREDICTIONS! :angry:

yup - DJ's our curse. We either need to blow him up or put him in a burger. That way perhaps we can reverse the curse