PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Non-dark cloud, non-pollyanna analysis thread

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2005, 09:21 AM
While I too still think the Sox will win the division, I think they need to "tinker" (please pardon the expression) with a few things if they want to have playoff success.

But let's start with what is working:

Thank goodness the starting rotation is fine. Garcia doesn't seem to show any of the "dead arm" problems he seemed to have last year around this time. Buehrle is rock-solid. Garland, though not as good as he was earlier in the year, remains good enough to win games in the playoffs. And with the Cubans, the Sox probably have the best #4/#5 starter combo in the majors. :thumbsup:

Apart from Jon AAAdkins, the bullpen is strong. Marte again can be useful as a situational lefty. Cotts and Politte are rock-solid. Hermanson is fine as the closer (even Mariano "Cy" Rivera blows at least two or three saves per year). Jenks and Vizcaino have shown they can pitch multiple consecutive scoreless innings. :thumbsup:

As others have said, the pitching and defense seem to have a symbiotic relationship. Each makes the other better. Other than the gaffes by non-starters like Ozuna, the defense is fine. :thumbsup:

So that leaves the offense.

Iguchi, Rowand, Everett, Konerko and AJ are fine. They are what they are. They aren't the equivalent of Damon, Ortiz, Ramirez, Mueller and Varitek, but the Sox don't need them to be that, either. Assuming Podsednik returns with a healthy groin, the top of the order will be OK. In the meantime, Anderson (not Timo) needs to start in left field. :thumbsup:

I'm a fan of Dye, Crede and Uribe. But they need to start being smarter at the plate. Uribe seems to be able to hit RBI sac flys with less than two outs with a runner on third. But all three of them need to be able to move runners over to third base. Even when the Sox have gotten runners on base, seeking to manufacture runs, they have failed to move them over and drive them home. Instead, they pop out, strike out or hit into rally-killing double plays. If that means sacrifice bunting instead of wildly flailing at pitches in the dirt, so be it.
:cuss:

This lineup's meager collective OBP, especially without a healthy Podsednik, simply is not good enough to be stupid and waste precious opportunities with runners on base.

Dye, Crede and Uribe need to start playing "smart ball" instead of "stupid ball." :kukoo: They are major league ballplayers. We all know they CAN do it. The question is, will they? :dunno:

Discuss...

Ol' No. 2
08-17-2005, 09:30 AM
While I too still think the Sox will win the division, I think they need to "tinker" (please pardon the expression) with a few things if they want to have playoff success.

Thank goodness the starting rotation is fine. Garcia doesn't seem to show any of the "dead arm" problems he seemed to have last year around this time. Buehrle is rock-solid. Garland, though not as good as he was earlier in the year, remains good enough to win games in the playoffs. And with the Cubans, the Sox probably have the best #4/#5 starter combo in the majors. :thumbsup:

Apart from Jon AAAdkins, the bullpen is strong. Marte again can be useful as a situational lefty. Cotts and Politte are rock-solid. Hermanson is fine as the closer (even Mariano "Cy" Rivera blows at least two or three saves per year). Jenks and Vizcaino have shown they can pitch multiple consecutive scoreless innings. :thumbsup:

As others have said, the pitching and defense seem to have a symbiotic relationship. Each makes the other better. Other than the gaffes by non-starters like Ozuna, the defense is fine. :thumbsup:

Iguchi, Rowand, Everett, Konerko and AJ are fine. They are what they are. They aren't the equivalent of Damon, Ortiz, Ramirez, Mueller and Varitek, but the Sox don't need them to be that, either. Assuming Podsednik returns with a healthy groin, the top of the order will be OK. In the meantime, Anderson (not Timo) needs to start in left field. :thumbsup:

I'm a fan of Dye, Crede and Uribe. But they need to start being smarter at the plate. Uribe seems to be able to hit RBI sac flys with less than two outs with a runner on third. But all three of them need to be able to move runners over to third base. Even when the Sox have gotten runners on base, seeking to manufacture runs, they have failed to move them over and drive them home. Instead, they pop out, strike out or hit into rally-killing double plays. If that means sacrifice bunting instead of wildly flailing at pitches in the dirt, so be it.

This lineup's meager collective OBP, especially without a healthy Podsednik, simply is not good enough to be stupid and waste precious opportunities with runners on base.

Dye, Crede and Uribe need to start playing "smart ball" instead of "stupid ball." :kukoo: They are major league ballplayers. We all know they CAN do it. The question is, will they? :dunno:

Discuss...Not much to discuss. I agree with everything you said. This team's situational hitting has gone down the crapper. Just one or two clutch hits last night and it's a W instead of a L.

Oh, yeah. And it's AAdkins.

Charlotte stats: 4-9, 5.58 ERA, 1.54 WHIP

harwar
08-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey! This was supposed to be a non-darkcloud thread!!!! :rolleyes:

Yea,he came in the wrong room.
from monty python ..
"excuse me,i'm looking for abuse"
"no your not."
"yes i am?"
"no your not"
"oh,i see ,"it says argument on the door".
"no it doesn't"
'Yes,It does".

RallyBowl
08-17-2005, 10:04 AM

Discuss...
Good lookin' on the analysis, frater. We can, and we will.

ChicagoHoosier
08-17-2005, 10:14 AM
This is exactly the kind of post I was hoping to see. Haven't sifted thru all the post-game thread from last night, but I still see a lot of positives from this team and think we just need to "tighten the screws" a bit in the areas that have just been mentioned. Earlier in the season, we were better (it seemed) at moving runners over and therefore getting them home. Also seems we made a few less errors. But if Pods gets healthy and we regain our focus, which many of us trust Ozzie to get the team to do, then I like our chances come October.

Great post!

cbone
08-17-2005, 10:16 AM
If your analysis was a term paper I would give you an A. Points are right on, send it to Ozzie.:smile:

soxjim
08-17-2005, 10:21 AM
I do think the SOX will win the division but it will be close under 5 games. Sure the same lineup would be nice. I was listening to the score this morning and North said something about this but appeared to emphasize left field? Well Pods is hurt what are we to? Who can ignite this team at lead off?

Fungo
08-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Hey! This was supposed to be a non-darkcloud thread!!!! :rolleyes:On the bright side, we face last years Cy Young Award Winner tonight.

Sargeant79
08-17-2005, 10:26 AM
This is exactly the kind of post I was hoping to see. Haven't sifted thru all the post-game thread from last night, but I still see a lot of positives from this team and think we just need to "tighten the screws" a bit in the areas that have just been mentioned. Earlier in the season, we were better (it seemed) at moving runners over and therefore getting them home. Also seems we made a few less errors. But if Pods gets healthy and we regain our focus, which many of us trust Ozzie to get the team to do, then I like our chances come October.

Great post!

Agreed. The team's recent inability to execute has been the biggest difference the last month or so. Earlier in the season, we were probably the best team in baseball when it came to moving runners over and getting them home from scoring position. The same certainly can't be said at the moment. Not to mention that a few games over the last couple weeks have been so bad fundamentally (specifically on defense and running the bases) that they've started to look like the Cubs in those two areas. Fortunately that has still been the exception rather than the rule of late.

All that said, I'd much rather see them go through this swoon now than leading directly into the postseason. For all I care, they can lose be sub-.500 over the next couple weeks as long as they get hot in the second week of September or so and hit the ground running into the playoffs. That's one of the luxuries that you are afforded when you have a double digit lead in your division. So get Pods heathly and revisit a few things about timely hitting during practice and we will be fine.

mdep524
08-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Great analysis, Frater. :thumbsup:

I totally agree with everything you said. This team is still solid, but the OBP issue does worry me a little. I think the situational hitting will return, but we need to take a walk once in a blue moon. Extra inning games can be won or lost due to a key base on balls- From a simple leadoff walk to falling behind in the count and fouling off a lot of pitches to get back in the at bat.

The Twins rally last night started with a single and then a walk to advance the baserunner (after a failed bunt attempt). Then Abernathy had that great at bat- it ended with an out but it took a good 10 pitches. I'd like to see the Sox have more at bats like that, last night in extra innings it just wasn't there.

I like Ken Griffey Jr., but Omar Vizquel is the kind of Smartball, speedy, intelligent, OBP guy that could make a huge impact as well. Maybe he cleared waivers and KW can talk to Brian Sabean again.

LongLiveFisk
08-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Yes, it sucks that we've hit a bump in the road, especially offensively, but I'm sure we'll be fine. Pods will be back and he'll help re-ignite the offense.

Plus, if we're going to slump, now is the time. Not October!

halfpricemonday
08-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Jenks and Vizcaino have shown they can pitch multiple consecutive scoreless innings. :thumbsup:

Just to expand on this, Jenks has been a revelation so far. It's not only that he can go out there for 2+ innings, it's the way he's been doing it that has been such an eye-opener. It's great that he only allowed 3 hits, with one of those being a weak Shannon Stewart dribbler that went 10 feet. But no walks? That's amazing, and I'll take that any night, especially during a game when Bobby goes 3 IP for the first time in his ML career.

And after Mauer ended up on 3rd with 1 out in the 15th last night, Bobby pitched great in inducing the popup to Crede. It was obvious from the first pitch to Tiffee that there was no way he'd be able to handle Bobby's fastball.

Cowhead418
08-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Without Big Frank and Scotty Pods in the lineup we would be lucky to beat KC, and as it is don't they come to US Cell I think Sept. 6,7,8 and if they're still in thier loosing streak it will be a good measuring stick to see if the White Sox are going anywhere because if that team comes in here and whips up on us you know we're done. The last two years management has done nothing to help this team when it needed to and right now it needs something before its to late, today on espn peter gammons reported that both Mike Sweeney of KC and Ken Griffey Jr. both have cleared waivers , so KW/JR there you go one or even better both of those guys would solve a lot of offensive problems and thats what we have right now.If what KW & JR are saying about going for it this year then do it otherwise I have a feeling this team will be remembered like the 1969 scrubs are.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yeah, the Royals are a GREAT team to measure how good a team is.

infohawk
08-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks Frater. It's good to know not everyone is jumping off the deep end. I think that the Sox are going through the kind of rough stretch that afflicts every team during the course of a 162-game season. Last night they had a one run lead in the ninth with their closer on the hill. Outside of a victory, it's hard to ask for more than that. I don't believe they are being outplayed in some of these closer games. They just aren't getting a clutch hit or two. They continue to play hard, and the breaks should go their way eventually. Just because the first half of August is turning out to be a little rough doesn't mean the second half of the month, or September for that matter, will be rough as well.

Ol' No. 2
08-17-2005, 12:24 PM
What's begun to bother me about this team is that they've abandoned the style of play that got them to this point. Granted, not having Podsednik at the top of the order makes a difference. But the Sox managed to be an above-average run producer with below average hitting by being good situational hitters, and they're not doing that now. This is not something that you can attribute to being tired or losing focus in the dog days of August. "Smart ball" is not so much a skill as a mindset.

:hawk It's an attitude.

Exactly. They need to get their heads on straight. Maybe having the Twins come in here and spank their asses is just the wakeup call that they need.

miker
08-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Wow, an intellegent "Current Sox Problems" thread. Is this really WSI?

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2005, 12:31 PM
"Smart ball" is not so much a skill as a mindset.

Exactly!

balke
08-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Pods is resting up right now, and will be the catalyst for this team once again when he comes back 100%. We need his fresh legs at the top of the order (and his ability to bunt).

Anderson is now seeing time, perhaps adding a bat to our playoff bench that can play a wicked outfield defensively.

Our bullpen went about 8 innings last night and let up 1 solo HR? That gives me nothing but more confidence going into the postseason. Adkins won't be on our playoff roster unless he finds something special out of nowhere. And in his place, Either El Duque or Contreras. That give me a heck of a lot of confidence in our pitching going into the postseason.

Last night didn't upset me. We knew we were going to lose when Adkins came in, big deal. The only real let down for me was some mismanagement, and the continued non-clutch play of Jermaine Dye. IF JD is going to revert to early season form, Anderson is right there to take over.

Every team has problems. I think ours will work themselves when fully healthy mid September. Give Hermanson some Cortisone or something in the playoffs, and just roll on through.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2005, 12:36 PM
How much of the offensive slump can be laid at the feet of Ozzie? He's said in the past few days that you can't steal if you can't get on base which is true...however you can bunt, hit and run, run and hit, delayed steal anytime you do get someone on base.

That's what I've been noticing the past few weeks. When the Sox do get someone on base, it becomes station to station again. Is that Ozzie? or is it the players not executing calls that Ozzie has made?

Lip

Ol' No. 2
08-17-2005, 12:46 PM
How much of the offensive slump can be laid at the feet of Ozzie? He's said in the past few days that you can't steal if you can't get on base which is true...however you can bunt, hit and run, run and hit, delayed steal anytime you do get someone on base.

That's what I've been noticing the past few weeks. When the Sox do get someone on base, it becomes station to station again. Is that Ozzie? or is it the players not executing calls that Ozzie has made?

LipI have seen some poorly executed bunt attempts. Dye butchered one last night. For a hit and run you need the right combination, and you have to have someone at the plate that can put the ball in play. They had a hit and run on Monday and Everett got doubled off after Pauly's popup. Poor execution is definately part of it. Nobody except Iguchi is consistently hitting behind the runner.

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2005, 12:55 PM

Lip

I definitely think shuffling players around in the order and misplacing certain players (Timo) within the lineup can cause the players to not understand their roles very well and therefore fail to execute.

It does seem that Ozzie has stubbornly stuck to some lineup "certainties" while being maddeningly inconsistent with others. For example, by all rights Dye should have been hitting right behind Frank when he was hot in June and July (because of his impressive slugging percentage), while Konerko should have moved down in the order when he was terrible in May and June. (Now, Dye should be lower in the order while Paulie should be hitting cleanup.)

Timo should not be alternating between leadoff and #5. He's really not good for either slot. Also, Iguchi has been one of the most consistent hitters on the team, but Ozzie seems to like to give Gooch a lot of off days. Also, Rowand should be batting near the top of the order, especially with Pods out.

In short, IMHO Ozzie could do a better job building his lineups, and making a few wise adjustments and them sticking to them would pay dividends in increased consistency and more "smarts."

SSN721
08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Yea,he came in the wrong room.
from monty python ..
"excuse me,i'm looking for abuse"
"no your not."
"yes i am?"
"no your not"
"oh,i see ,"it says argument on the door".
"no it doesn't"
'Yes,It does".

"That'll be 5 quid"
"There you are"
"There what?"
"I just paid so now let keep going telling me hwo you werent arguing with me just now"
"I told I am not allowed to argue if you didnt pay"
"I just did"
"No you didnt"
"Yes I did"
"No you didnt"

AH, yes, classic MP.

I was a lot more pissed off at the game then I am right now when I can think about it rationally. I do agree witht he sentiment that another bat would certainly help. We didnt get throttled last night, just complete lack of situational hitting. The pitching has been there. Not worried about that for the playoffs at all. But something has to be done about this offense. I still think Ozzie should be pushing more for some aggressiveness on the basepaths. At least force defenses to make a play, with Scottie gone it seems like a complete station to station team, we still have other guys that are capable of stealing bases. That being said I think we are just stuck with what we have, maybe it will come around come playoff time, maybe not. I just have my fingers crossed for a trade for a big bat as long as it isnt Dmitri Young as I feel it would just be adding exactly the type of player wont fit in. Griffey would be great, if Sweeney made it through wavers like someone said earlier in this thread that would be a phenomonal pick up. Heres hoping to one of those two for this lineup. :gulp:

Lip Man 1
08-17-2005, 01:07 PM
The Sporting News print edition reported last month that regarding Sweeney the Royals want someone to take him off their hands and take on the entire remaining sum of his contract and give them three top prospects.

In short to the Royals the most important thing is, they don't want to contribute one dime towards Sweeney's contract which is why he isn't going anywhere especially the way the injuries have hit him the past few years.

Lip

balke
08-17-2005, 01:19 PM
The Sporting News print edition reported last month that regarding Sweeney the Royals want someone to take him off their hands and take on the entire remaining sum of his contract and give them three top prospects.

In short to the Royals the most important thing is, they don't want to contribute one dime towards Sweeney's contract which is why he isn't going anywhere especially the way the injuries have hit him the past few years.

Lip

He could really help out the Mets. Too bad they blew their cash on Beltran. I guess he could help the ANgels too, but I don't think the Angels want to take on anymore salary. I'd like to see his bat in our lineup, but it does cause a lot of controversy on the team. Its not the smartest thing to hire a great 1Bman just before playoff time, it would make at least 2 players very upset.

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 01:22 PM

Lip

And when they tried the sacrifice last night the runner died at second base.

Frankly Missing
08-17-2005, 01:26 PM
From interveiws Ive read, the chemistry of this team has taken on great importance to our players.

Sweeney is the face of the Royals, wears the "C" and seems to take his role seriously. I think it would be hard for him to switch gears.

Griffey, on the other hand, seems woven looser, more the type to be "one of the guys"

In my opinion, Griffey would blend in easily, and probably not upset the apple cart.

Just one thing, we have to keep Junior and Aaron off their dirtbikes!

Fungo
08-17-2005, 01:41 PM

Lip
Good point Lip. A few guys have pointed the finger at Pods not being in the lineup, which don't get me wrong is a huge blow, but I have to believe, no check that...I know for a fact that we have scored runs in many innings which Podsednik has either not contributed, not batted or basically had nothing to do with. Granted, Scott is the biggest part of our 'smallball' style, but nothing should be stopping this team from playing fundamentally sound baseball.
I'm not gonna get too concerned, it's August and we have an 11 game lead, BUT I'd really love to see these guys snap out of it.

Paulwny
08-17-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm not gonna get too concerned, it's August and we have an 11 game lead, BUT I'd really love to see these guys snap out of it.

If this continues into next week I'll be back on the pepcids.

JB98
08-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Crede has made 2 errors this month. I don't see how all those runs could be due to those 2 errors. BTW, Uribe has the same number in that time.

One of those errors cost Contreras three runs against the Blue Jays. Crede overran that pop up in Boston last Friday. That cost Buerhle a run, and we're fortunate the Red Sox didn't score more. Crede cost Freddy a run with a throwing error during the Sunday night game in Baltimore. I'm pretty sure that was July 31, so it's not included in your computation. And, of course, going back further, Joe missed the pop up off the bat of Ramirez.

Crede has made more defensive miscues in the last month than he did in the entire first half. I'm not like shoota. I'm a FOJC, and I'm sticking with him. But there's no doubt Joe is struggling in all areas at this particular time.

As for Uribe, he made an error the last game in New York and cost Garcia a run. Other than that, I can't recall a time where Juan's defense has hurt us.

Hangar18
08-17-2005, 02:41 PM
One of those errors cost Contreras three runs against the Blue Jays. Crede overran that pop up in Boston last Friday. That cost Buerhle a run, and we're fortunate the Red Sox didn't score more. Crede cost Freddy a run with a throwing error during the Sunday night game in Baltimore. I'm pretty sure that was July 31, so it's not included in your computation. And, of course, going back further, Joe missed the pop up off the bat of Ramirez.

Crede has made more defensive miscues in the last month than he did in the entire first half. I'm not like shoota. I'm a FOJC, and I'm sticking with him. But there's no doubt Joe is struggling in all areas at this particular time.

As for Uribe, he made an error the last game in New York and cost Garcia a run. Other than that, I can't recall a time where Juan's defense has hurt us.

You are absolutely correct. Hes made more errors, and mental errors (the ones the DONT show up in stats) than I care to remember the last few weeks. After one of his groundouts to snuff one of the many rallies last nite, he took his helmet off and SLAMMED it into the ground ......the look
of frustration was very evident in his eyes. I felt really bad for him.
Man ...........Id love to drink a few beers with him and just get his mind cleared......because hes really not together right now .........

halfpricemonday
08-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Hes made more errors, and mental errors (the ones the DONT show up in stats) than I care to remember the last few weeks.

You say that they don't show up in the box score? If only there could be an unofficial scorebook to keep track of such things... :D:

Frankly Missing
08-17-2005, 02:54 PM
You are absolutely correct. Hes made more errors, and mental errors (the ones the DONT show up in stats) than I care to remember the last few weeks. After one of his groundouts to snuff one of the many rallies last nite, he took his helmet off and SLAMMED it into the ground ......the look
of frustration was very evident in his eyes. I felt really bad for him.
Man ...........Id love to drink a few beers with him and just get his mind cleared......because hes really not together right now .........

This is a female point of veiw, but Crede's problems started around the time he grew those ghastly sideburns, also from a girls point of veiw, and let his hair grow.

My sons girlfriend and myself, we wonder if something is going on in Joe's life that is haunting him.

Often when a person changes their appearance, its a side effect of something in their life.

At first we were saying " Joe, start paying more attention to your game than your appearance" , but now we wonder if there is something more to his troubles.

We really like Joe and hope things turn around for him, SOON!

Ol' No. 2
08-17-2005, 02:57 PM
You say that they don't show up in the box score? If only there could be an unofficial scorebook to keep track of such things... :D:You mean like the unofficial scorebook to keep track of which hits count and which don't?

So in addition to the hits that don't count, we can have non-errors that do count.

Taliesinrk
08-17-2005, 05:47 PM
What's begun to bother me about this team is that they've abandoned the style of play that got them to this point. Granted, not having Podsednik at the top of the order makes a difference. But the Sox managed to be an above-average run producer with below average hitting by being good situational hitters, and they're not doing that now. This is not something that you can attribute to being tired or losing focus in the dog days of August. "Smart ball" is not so much a skill as a mindset.

:hawk It's an attitude.

Exactly. They need to get their heads on straight. Maybe having the Twins come in here and spank their asses is just the wakeup call that they need.

That's exactly right. Although the post to begin the thread was very well put, this is even better. It doesn't frustrate me so much that the Sox are struggling and losing. It's the way in which they're doing so. I know pods is out but is it completely out of the question to see a lead-off single, stolen base, hit behind the runner, and then sac fly? I mean where has that gone? I just don't see that kind of play, or that kind of effort anymore.
I mean I saw Joe Crede try in Boston this past weekend, but that's all that has stuck out to me. I want to see a smart ball effort... not guys swinging for the fences (ala '01-'04).
I don't even wanna see HR's anymore cuz it seems like we're starting to rely on them. That's funny, because if we do we're in serious trouble.

Taliesinrk
08-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Pods is resting up right now, and will be the catalyst for this team once again when he comes back 100%. We need his fresh legs at the top of the order (and his ability to bunt).

Anderson is now seeing time, perhaps adding a bat to our playoff bench that can play a wicked outfield defensively.

Our bullpen went about 8 innings last night and let up 1 solo HR? That gives me nothing but more confidence going into the postseason. Adkins won't be on our playoff roster unless he finds something special out of nowhere. And in his place, Either El Duque or Contreras. That give me a heck of a lot of confidence in our pitching going into the postseason.

Last night didn't upset me. We knew we were going to lose when Adkins came in, big deal. The only real let down for me was some mismanagement, and the continued non-clutch play of Jermaine Dye. IF JD is going to revert to early season form, Anderson is right there to take over.

Every team has problems. I think ours will work themselves when fully healthy mid September. Give Hermanson some Cortisone or something in the playoffs, and just roll on through.

You forgot to mention the obvious "non-clutch play of Juan Uribe" both times the Twins completely disrespected him and walked Aaron...

balke
08-17-2005, 05:52 PM
You forgot to mention the obvious "non-clutch play of Juan Uribe" both times the Twins completely disrespected him and walked Aaron...

Yeah, Juan Uribe isn't winning us games this year. I just mentioned Jermaine, because he's put up great #'s in the past, and now lately he looks terrible out there again whenever we need a clutch single. Juan needs to find his way back to the 9-hole, his awkward swing caught up to him this season it looks like.

ndu3t4
08-17-2005, 06:01 PM
I was at the game last night (well most of it, I left after 13, my dad and I had to get up early today). While I do think they've been struggling with the smallball lately, they are showing signs of hope (Iguchi's hit to right field with Timo on second, Timo's clutch, two out double).

While I haven't lost any faith in Hermie (two blown saves all year, outstanding), I would like to see Bobby Jenks come in in a save situation, just to see what happens. I got excited when I saw him getting loose with Dustin. I think he deserves a shot with Dustin's bad back. Although it was only a one run lead, it was the lower third of the order and I think it would have been no problem. I had no problem with seeing Hermanson though.

In Joe's defense, that ball he hit (12th inning?) was an absolute rocket and Cuddyer made a great play.

Taliesinrk
08-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Yeah, Juan Uribe isn't winning us games this year. I just mentioned Jermaine, because he's put up great #'s in the past, and now lately he looks terrible out there again whenever we need a clutch single. Juan needs to find his way back to the 9-hole, his awkward swing caught up to him this season it looks like.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to single out your post.. I was just frustrated. I live almost in Ohio and stayed the whole game last night and was up at 7 to work. I'd also like to add Joe Crede (and his back) to my previous quote. Seriously, I like both those guys but it seems like they're the forerunners lately for the "non-smartball" approach. As far as Juan goes, not only was his hitting poor. Blum saved one of his throws, and it was interesting to see that at least twice, I believe, he almost lost a grounder hit right to him.

As for Crede's personal life... I'm a guy, so I'll pass on the previous post.. I only see what's on the field. And besides his "strongly hit" ground ball last night, I'd almost have suggested DJ grab a uni and play some 3rd, cuz I'm not sure if Ozuna would have done better).

Note: I'm not trying to start any dark clouds.. GOOD D and solid Pitching last night.. It's just hard to see this offense struggle like this.

kojak
08-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Frater, you get post of the month! Excellent analysis!!

This is a slump and we will play out of it. And we will get Pods healthy
and get our offense back on track and come playoff time we will be ready to
grab the brass ring.

Remember, we had the best record in the American League going into the postseason in 1983, 1993 and 2000 and what did it get us? So I am not the least bit concerned if we go into the playoffs as the wild card or with whatever record we have. Come October, who will give a squat about this slump????

starboy0
08-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Put this in another thread might be worth putting it here also:

Our magic number is 34, Cleveland's magic number is 56 and Minnesota's is 58.