PDA

View Full Version : Observations from 8/16 game!

GiveMeSox
08-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Two things i took from tonights game. When Hermy came in something wasnt right, the first two batters he faced he was topping out at 85-86 on the gun with his fastball. I told my buddy he better get outs with his offspeed stuff and not the fastball or hes in trouble. And then Cuddyer hit a homer on the fastball. The next outs he was hitting 89 on the gun but no more. I immediatly was concerned that his back was bothering him, I dont know, maybe he just wasn't fully warmed up?

My other observation was that the bar "The First Base" on Normal and 32nd is closed down. Their was a big sticker on the door saying their license had been revoked and they were shut down by the city. I was kind of shocked. I wonder what happened, possible under age drinking? Does anyone have any details on this?

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2005, 01:23 AM
My other observation was that the bar "The First Base" on Normal and 32nd is closed down. Their was a big sticker on the door saying their license had been revoked and they were shut down by the city. I was kind of shocked. I wonder what happened, possible under age drinking? Does anyone have any details on this?

I have no idea; but, the Bridgeport News will be on my doorstep tomorrow morning, so maybe something about it will be in there. If so, I'll post.

skobabe8
08-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Two things i took from tonights game. When Hermy came in something wasnt right, the first two batters he faced he was topping out at 85-86 on the gun with his fastball. I told my buddy he better get outs with his offspeed stuff and not the fastball or hes in trouble. And then Cuddyer hit a homer on the fastball. The next outs he was hitting 89 on the gun but no more. I immediatly was concerned that his back was bothering him, I dont know, maybe he just wasn't fully warmed up?

That pitch definately wasnt a fastball.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Two things i took from tonights game.... My other observation was that the bar "The First Base" on Normal and 32nd is closed down. Their was a big sticker on the door saying their license had been revoked and they were shut down by the city. I was kind of shocked. I wonder what happened, possible under age drinking? Does anyone have any details on this?

It is Daley's goal to close as many bars as possible before he retires / goes to jail. He passed an Ordinance making it easier for Yuppies to petition to close down bars that have been there for decades because they don't like them after they bought their cinderblock condo / townhomes bought with no money down on an interest free loan.

Soon all that will remain are the corporate fake bars (Dave & Busters, Bennigans, ESPN Zone), the Wrigleyville / Gay Bars and a few taverns owned by those who pay tribute to Daley's organization.

kittle42
08-17-2005, 01:31 AM
the Wrigleyville / Gay Bars

In case you haven't noticed, there is a difference between the two.

Chips
08-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Daley's a bum. Corner neighborhood taverns are great and usually inexpensive and friendly, although I wasn't a big fan of first base.

cheeses_h_rice
08-17-2005, 09:50 AM
It is Daley's goal to close as many bars as possible before he retires / goes to jail. He passed an Ordinance making it easier for Yuppies to petition to close down bars that have been there for decades because they don't like them after they bought their cinderblock condo / townhomes bought with no money down on an interest free loan.

Soon all that will remain are the corporate fake bars (Dave & Busters, Bennigans, ESPN Zone), the Wrigleyville / Gay Bars and a few taverns owned by those who pay tribute to Daley's organization.

And you're sure this applies to the closing of the First Base because...?

DaleJRFan
08-17-2005, 11:18 AM
How do you know they weren't dealing coke out of the back, or weren't paying their taxes, or broke the law in some other capacity? Why is it ALWAYS Daley's fault?

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 11:31 AM
I work part-time at a bar. It is true, Daley has launched an all-out jihad against bars, particularly neighborhood taverns.To the other point, I too, noticed that Dustin's fastball wasn't climbing over the 90s.

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 11:47 AM
It was really fun last night listening to the guy sitting to my immediate right.

He started out telling how Garcia was going to pitch 50 pitches in the first inning and give up 4-5 runs. He griped at every pitch out of the strike zone. He seemed disappointed when Garcia only gave up 1 run. He shut up when Garcia was pitching until he gave up the 2-run homer.

He was talking about every 77 mph pitch that was thrown to a Sox batter by Radke but didn't seem overly enthusiastic about any of our scoring. In fact, he left shortly after we took the 4-3 lead and missed Hermanson's gopher ball.

I love it when people gripe when things go well, and are only quiet when things go well. It's a shame he missed 8-9 innings in which he could have been in his glory!

All I could think of through the 8 innings he was there was::darkcloud:

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 11:51 AM
LOL! Love the "dark cloud" photo...

SouthSide_HitMen
08-17-2005, 01:06 PM
How do you know they weren't dealing coke out of the back, or weren't paying their taxes, or broke the law in some other capacity? Why is it ALWAYS Daley's fault?

I forgot - nothing is Daley's fault.

Go White Sox!
Go Patrick Fitzgerald!

hawkjt
08-17-2005, 02:18 PM
I read somewhere that there were like 3000 bars in the early 90's and now it is down to like 1300 with a goal of 300. Only yuppie bars need apply. First base was ok. at least it was a place to meet before the game.

Hermy's fastball was down to 85 or so and I was immediately concerned. Then the slider he threw inside to Cudahay had nothing.

Interesting quote from Hermy after the game'' AJ called an inside and low slider and I never throw that pitch.'' Sounds like a little fingerpointing but could be legit. AJ does screw up sometimes.

Paulwny
08-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Interesting quote from Hermy after the game'' AJ called an inside and low slider and I never throw that pitch.'' Sounds like a little fingerpointing but could be legit. AJ does screw up sometimes.

Very strange, if you don't throw that pitch, shake-off the sign.

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 02:33 PM
I read somewhere that there were like 3000 bars in the early 90's and now it is down to like 1300 with a goal of 300. Only yuppie bars need apply. First base was ok. at least it was a place to meet before the game.

Hermy's fastball was down to 85 or so and I was immediately concerned. Then the slider he threw inside to Cudahay had nothing.

Nope, it's not yuppie bars getting the green light; nobody is (I live on the Northside). What the owners of new places do is have food and get a mixed food/liquor license--it's the only way to do it now. Getting a new bar liquor license is damn near impossible.

As far as Hermanson/A.J. and who blew it... who cares? Hermanson did throw it low and inside and the dude golfed it out. From what I can remember (my God, like 7 innings back!) it wasn't a bad pitch.

DumpJerry
08-17-2005, 02:53 PM
As you can see from my sig, I was there last night. Stayed until the bitter end. :angry: *yawns* I moved to the front row of 112 in the 14th and started to attempt to make deals with the Twins RF, Ryan, to let the ball go past him. I asked how much $$ would it take and then realized he makes a lot already. I told him I would send girls to his hotel room. No response. When he shifted deep and center for A Row, I told him I've been watching Aaron all summer and he never hits it there and he should move towards the Line and in. I was ignored.

When Jacque Jones took over in the 16th, I tried to get him to let a ball go by. I asked what he thought of Palmeiro. No response. I told him Raffy was a bum. I asked Jones if they play the O's this year, could he tell Raffy that "Bob from Chicago thinks you're a bum." No response. I told Jones he could get late night eats at Golden Nugget. Still no response.

At least the people around me were entertained.

I thought the 14th inning stretch was cute. Hope to never experience one ever again.

Let's get revenge tonight!

Blob
08-17-2005, 04:34 PM
That pitch definately wasnt a fastball.

I agree, it looked more like a slider. It was breaking away from the batter.