PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/17 Extra Inning Nightmare Post-Game Thread

Unregistered
08-17-2005, 01:11 AM
Oh no... trust me. It's over. :mad:

I know these games "don't mean anything," but is there any way we can stop playing so crappy at home? And in general? Say what you will, but getting swept by the beat-up Twins at home SUCKS.

sox1malone84
08-17-2005, 01:12 AM
This does stink, but I guess you have to look at this positively. Were still like 13 games up on the Twins, and 10.5 up on the Indians. The Indians hopefully will collapse, and the once Twins leave Chicago they will too. This hasn't been a good couple of weeks. We just need to put this behind us, and move on. The Twins have always had our numbers in the second half, and that wont change unless we start playing smarter baseball, or add players that can beat this team. It's just plain simple. I'm deafly afraid of the Twins because ever since 2000 they are a different team, and have shown everyone in the central who's boss. I'm also afraid that ever since Paulie circled the bases with a beer at the Metrodome when we won the division, it put a jinx on us, and fired up the Twins. Hopefully we can get out of this slump, and win 15 more games to atleast clinch a playoff birth. Even though we lost this series, we have another series at home against the Twins, so let's take this series, and get revenge the next time. Go Sox

batmanZoSo
08-17-2005, 01:14 AM
A tale of two halves?

DickAllen72
It ain't over till it's over.

Win or lose, it's good to see Uribe taking so many good fastballs for strikes!

PennStater98r
I want to know how that Twins fan/chump got those good seats where I had to stare at his ugly mug and his dopey girlfriend.

I'm not bitter about other fans, but I am bitter against other fans that are sitting in better seats than I have ever sat in - nearly behind home plate - while waving a shirt with Sox X'ed out...

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-17-2005, 01:15 AM
**yawn**

BeviBall!
08-17-2005, 01:16 AM
August baseball = Adkins? Or is it the other way around?

SoxFan78
08-17-2005, 01:17 AM
I want to know how that Twins fan/chump got those good seats where I had to stare at his ugly mug and his dopey girlfriend.

I'm not bitter about other fans, but I am bitter against other fans that are sitting in better seats than I have ever sat in - nearly behind home plate - while waving a shirt with Sox X'ed out...

Like I said in the game day thread. Its amazing some Sox fan didnt knock him out. What a a hole

Can anybody pull the home record for the sox when the attendence is over 30K??

This is the low point for the Sox right now this season. The offense is playing like crap. Hopefully we wont get any lower.

HotelWhiteSox
08-17-2005, 01:17 AM
I thought we agreed on the 'pumpkin' title? :angry: EDIT: NM, CFAD has it covered

General consensus in the chat that this was over when Adkins was in. Couple of questionable calls with the call at first and the AJ 'foul tip' which was called after Mauer told the ump about it, but we still have to score.

Solid Anderson debut

DickAllen72
08-17-2005, 01:18 AM
OK, now it's over.

CubsfansareDRUNK
come on guys, post in my postgame thread :D:

downstairs
A tale of two halves?

No, a tale of giving up 20 hits and having zero offense.

Just for those questioning at home, this line doesn't help much in the playoffs:

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

/just sayin'

itsnotrequired
Like I said in the game day thread. Its amazing some Sox fan didnt knock him out. What a a hole

This is the low point for the Sox right now this season. The offense is playing like crap. Hopefully we wont get any lower.

Going back to the Cubs series, Sox are 8-13 at home with crowds of 30,000+.

PAPChiSox729
**yawn**

Someone wake up the offense. We fans weren't the only ones of the verge sleeping. Horrible offensive day today. I'll give some credit to the Twins' bullpen, but 0 ER in the 8 final innings is just inexcusable on our part. I'm done with my rant. We'll get 'em tommorrow.
:D:

SoxFan78
OK, now it's over.

It was over when Adkins stepped out of the bullpen.

downstairs
08-17-2005, 01:19 AM

The one thing I said when I saw him:

"Boy... as long as he is on the roster only for the 16th innings of games, I am fine with that..."

Optipessimism
08-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Hermie blows a save.

Adkins blows the Twins.

Terrible, terrible, terrible loss.

Unregistered
/just sayin'What is this, Fark? :D:

CubsfansareDRUNK
Someone wake up the offense. We fans weren't the only ones of the verge sleeping. Horrible offensive day today. I'll give some credit to the Twins' bullpen, but 0 ER in the 8 final innings is just inexcusable on our part. I'm not with my rant. We'll get 'em tommorrow.
:D:

thanks paps

BeviBall!
Is there any question that we need Junior? The Twins reliever shut us out the final 9 innings. C'mon.

Now Buehrle has to go at least 7 tomorrow. If you bet on baseball, smart money is to take the Twins and the under. I just don't see any conceivable way they beat Johan. If they do however, this game(s) means nothing.

PAPChiSox729
08-17-2005, 01:21 AM
This does stink, but I guess you have to look at this positively. Were still like 13 games up on the Twins, and 10.5 up on the Indians. The Indians hopefully will collapse, and the once Twins leave Chicago they will too. This hasn't been a good couple of weeks. We just need to put this behind us, and move on. The Twins have always had our numbers in the second half, and that wont change unless we start playing smarter baseball, or add players that can beat this team. It's just plain simple. I'm deafly afraid of the Twins because ever since 2000 they are a different team, and have shown everyone in the central who's boss. I'm also afraid that ever since Paulie circled the bases with a beer at the Metrodome when we won the division, it put a jinx on us, and fired up the Twins. Hopefully we can get out of this slump, and win 15 more games to atleast clinch a playoff birth. Even though we lost this series, we have another series at home against the Twins, so let's take this series, and get revenge the next time. Go Sox

We are not losing this division. Period.

MRKARNO
The Sox have played themselves into a situation where the games are actually becoming meaningful. We're only 5.5 games ahead of Boston for homefield throughout the playoffs. I do not want to have to go through Fenway on the way to the World Series if we even can get to that point. Time to get your ****ing act together Ozzie and whip this team into shape.

And for the record, the place to put Griffey is on the plane to Chicago. Pronto.

CubsfansareDRUNK
we no longer have the best record in baseball

soxfanreggie
08-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Adkins needs to find the first train/plane/guy who will give him a ride (I know a lot of Sox fans would agree) back to Charlotte. His ERA is probably close to 10 now if not over. Let's get rid of him before he can blow more games.

Georgey3085
Usually I'm a very positive poster, but today I've seen enough of a couple of guys (Everett and Crede).

I think this is my last straw with Joe Crede...he's absolutely horrible as of late, tonight going 0 for 7. Popping up 4 or em, striking out once, and grounding out a couple of times too. He's absolutely pathetic and I think that any highschool athelete can play just as good as he has with that horrible bat. Yea, he may be "mr. clutch" every 1 outta 1000 times, but he's not worth it, he's a bust, and we must move on without that worthless chump. And please, don't get me wrong, I was soo up for giving him as many chances, but enough is enough. Joe Crede, I want you gone! :angry: As for the Sox lose, it doesn't bother me too much since we pitched pretty well out there, but these types of games are the ones that you see why Griffey would help out soo much. Come playoff time, we need to right the ship and have Everett on the bench, Griffey in the lineup, Crede gone, and thats all we need to do. I know its nearly impossible to get ride of that worthless #24 at third this year, but I'lll be the first to kick him out of US Cellular Field, who's with me?

downstairs
What is this, Fark? :D:

Ha! Indeed... I am a TotalFark member... have been for years...

whitesoxfan
thread title should be "Official Bring Up Baj for Adkins Post-Game Thread."

i thought i was going to be saved this year when Adkins was sucking it up down in Charlotte. But to no avail he was called up for Gload a few weeks ago and today we got to see the good for nothing pitcher in action tonight. Either demote him or release him. I have a feeling he'll suck it up wherever he goes, in Charlotte, Birmingham, Winston-Salem or any other MLB team. The guy doesn't have it at all.

and the offense isn't getting a free pass either. Absolutely pathetic to have Radke own them for virtually the whole game. We need Mark to be our stopper tomorrow and the offense needs to put some runs on the board against Santana.

wmc
Does anyone want to guess how long it will be before Adkins gets sent down?
My guess is tomorrow.
What a terrible performance.

slavko
08-17-2005, 01:23 AM
I was spared. My cable box broke down and the picture went out just after the leadoff single against Adkins. It's Ross Gload time. Jon be gone. We need a bat.

downstairs
Well... trying not to be labeled a Dark Cloud here... so all I will say is...

If we back into the playoffs, we may as well not even show up for them.

BeviBall!

Well, a tiny wake up call is still a wake up call. Did we every discuss why Timo was lifted in the 7th? As clutch as he was tonight, why did Ozzie yank him? One another note... Dye thinks it's April again.

SoxFan78
Has Ken Griffey Jr. ever played 3B? Can he learn?

Gigantor
No you idiot sheep, these games DO mean something. A division rival that is in 3rd place by about 12 games and the Indians in 2nd by 10.5, you know, that is not that much space in between us and them. Especially the way we are backing into the playoffs sleepwalking just like....gasp!...2000! This is not against some **** team in some other division, this is the goddamn Twins, and they are owning us....just like last year. Horrible baseball this whole 2nd half. Face it, we were spoiled in the first half, and now, this is .500 baseball, welcome and have a nice visit, albiet a permenant one. It is sad that the magic number count has more to do with other teams losing than with us actually...oh you know...WINNING GAMES. And we better be happy we had this lead over the division, because if this race was close, we would be in some dire straights. And as for these games not "meaining anything" please, this is a sell out crown against a hated division rival, the pressure is on, and it has been on for the last few weeks and the Sox have pathetically faltered. I love this team, but you unbridled, blind optimists that live in a fantasy world need to wake up, this team is in trouble.
Roso.

PAPChiSox729
08-17-2005, 01:24 AM
My guess is tomorrow.

Yeah, to make room for Griffey. Then again, he isn't going down, he is gone to Cincy!

downstairs
My guess is tomorrow.

I would have sent him down after his inning and not even let him into the clubhouse...

Just take your own cab on your own dime and show up when you want to play for a playoff team.

DickAllen72
Is there any question that we need Junior? The Twins reliever shut us out the final 9 innings. C'mon.

Now Buehrle has to go at least 7 tomorrow. If you bet on baseball, smart money is to take the Twins and the under. I just don't see any conceivable way they beat Johan. If they do however, this game(s) means nothing.

The Twins do this to us every season.

Junior's bat would be a big help, but where would he play?

whitesoxfan
My guess is tomorrow.

he better be gone today.

Unregistered
The Sox have played themselves into a situation where the games are actually becoming meaningful. We're only 5.5 games ahead of Boston for homefield throughout the playoffs. I do not want to have to go through Fenway on the way to the World Series if we even can get to that point. Time to get your ****ing act together Ozzie and whip this team into shape.

And for the record, the place to put Griffey is on the plane to Chicago. Pronto.Please - the way the Sox play at home in front of a crowd? I'd welcome home-field "advantage" being given to someone else.

Well... maybe not Boston. Those freaks no how to take advantage of playing in that dump.

SOecks
My guess is tomorrow.

He is likely cleaning his locker right now. KW doesn't waste much time with this stuff sometimes. He'll be in the minors by 10am tomorrow (today actually)

whtsx1959
08-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Ozzie needed to pitch Cotts for more than 1 inning, he is a middle to long reliever.
I don't think we'll be seeing Adkins anymore, 7 ER in 3 2/3 innings (this year).

FloridaSox
My guess is tomorrow.

Adkins is Ozzie's boy..."this kid has heart"

South Sider

I'm pretty sure......we will !!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sox won (those close and low scoring games) games from April-May because of luck and outstanding pitching.
And even than it was hard to watch because of the lack from our offense.

Our pitching is back to earth and our hitters still hit like crap.

I still predict we will reach the Playoffs somehow.

But it will be a quick 0-3 against any of the "BIG BOYS" (A's, Red Sox and even Angels)

Face it.

The Sox are average at best........and now STL has even more wins than we have.

Still the best record in the Majors.....but not for long anymore.......and far from being the best team in the Majors

whitesoxfan
08-17-2005, 01:26 AM
No you idiot sheep, these games DO mean something. A division rival that is in 3rd place by about 12 games and the Indians in 2nd by 10.5, you know, that is not that much space in between us and them. Especially the way we are backing into the playoffs sleepwalking just like....gasp!...2000! This is not against some **** team in some other division, this is the goddamn Twins, and they are owning us....just like last year. Horrible baseball this whole 2nd half. Face it, we were spoiled in the first half, and now, this is .500 baseball, welcome and have a nice visit, albiet a permenant one. It is sad that the magic number count has more to do with other teams losing than with us actually...oh you know...WINNING GAMES. And we better be happy we had this lead over the division, because if this race was close, we would be in some dire straights. And as for these games not "meaining anything" please, this is a sell out crown against a hated division rival, the pressure is on, and it has been on for the last few weeks and the Sox have pathetically faltered. I love this team, but you unbridled, blind optimists that live in a fantasy world need to wake up, this team is in trouble.
Roso.

give me a break. Backing into the playoffs? Were not even in freaking September yet and your saying were backing into the playoffs? Were in a rough stretch. This team WILL bounce back from it. And its an 11 game lead of Cleveland and last I checked, thats a pretty huge lead.

Jerko
Well, a tiny wake up call is still a wake up call. Did we every discuss why Timo was lifted in the 7th? As clutch as he was tonight, why did Ozzie yank him? One another note... Dye thinks it's April again.

I bash Timo as much as the next guy, but he was directly responsible for 3 of the 4 runs tonight. Leave him in there. Also, we used FOUR pitchers for one inning or less tonight. (Really 5, but one was Atkins).

peeonwrigley
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I think that sums it up

Lip Man 1
Malone:

It would take a collapse of biblical proportions to lose this division. If you feel the need to worry about something worry about the nagging injuries that are disrupting the team, worry about the lack of anything resembling small- ball right now or worry about not having home field advantage throughout the playoffs.
But you don't have to worry about the division.

Look at it this way...if the Sox lead is down to six or seven games by Labor Day (which in theory it could be due to the difficulty of the schedule in August and the nagging injuries) that is still a hell of an uphill climb for whoever is in second place.

Lip

Mr. N Paul Todd
08-17-2005, 01:27 AM
REMINDER: Jon Adkins did not lose this game. Dustin Hermanson did. Rag on Adkins all you want, but we all knew what to expect from the kid before tonight's game, and I'm amazed at the number of you who are suprised after the game.

MRKARNO
Please - the way the Sox play at home in front of a crowd? I'd welcome home-field "advantage" being given to someone else.

Well... maybe not Boston. Those freaks no how to take advantage of playing in that dump.

No team is more built for its ballpark than the Red Sox. It's not just a coincidence that they have the best home record in baseball in the past however many years.

downstairs
give me a break. Backing into the playoffs? Were not even in freaking September yet and your saying were backing into the playoffs? Were in a rough stretch. This team WILL bounce back from it. And its an 11 game lead of Cleveland and last I checked, thats a pretty huge lead.

Well... his post was a bit nutty...

But "backing in" can, indeed, start now.

If we go .500 or .550 the rest of the way, I think that is a bit scary, don't you?

itsnotrequired

The Sox won (those close and low scoring games) games from April-May because of luck and outstanding pitching.

But it will be a quick 0-3 against any of the "BIG BOYS" (A's, Red Sox and even Angels)

Face it.

Still the best record in the Majors.....but not for long anymore.......and far from being the best team in the Majors

Please. The lack of Pods is killing this team as well. Ever since he stopped stealing bases, this team has been in a funk. Pitching may not be at the same leval it was at the beginning of the year but it is still pretty darn good. Seems like the offense decided to take a break when Frank went back down and are taking an even longer one with Pods out.

Jjav829
How crappy must it feel to sit there for 15 innings and watch your teammates battle their asses off to try to win, then come in and completely suck to the tune of 5 runs in an inning. What a bum. He didn't even give the team a shot to come back. One run, two runs....there's a slight chance. But 5 freaking runs? Go away, Adkins.

Hawk is making a complete ass out of himself with these "Where are you gonna play him?" comments about Griffey? Gee, Hawk, I don't know. Griffey would only be the best player on the team, Hawk. Stop sounding like such an idiot.

mcfish
Now Buehrle has to go at least 7 tomorrow.As long as the Twins don't start hitting our batters, when has this ever been a problem? Plus, the majority of the pen will be available tomorrow - Marte, Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson all pitched an inning or less. We probably won't see Jenks or Vizcaino, and Adkins better damn well be on a bus to Alabama.

Chisox003
08-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Oh......my......God.....

The Dark Clouds are going to swarm this place.....

Time to get out while I can!!

Over/Under posts in this thread: +/-350

:darkcloud:

whitesoxfan
REMINDER: Jon Adkins did not lose this game. Dustin Hermanson did. Rag on Adkins all you want, but we all knew what to expect from the kid before tonight's game, and I'm amazed at the number of you who are suprised after the game.

Hermanson blew a save, his 2nd of the year. He did not lose it. We had SEVERAL chances to win the game after Hermy gave up that homer.

Adkins did lose this game, but the offense deserves to be blamed as well. Anyone that says Adkins did not lose the game must not have watched the 16th inning. The guy was BRUTAL.

PAPChiSox729

I am trying to be as optimistic as possible. I think we will get it back. I am more concerned with homefield advantage. Once this team gets going again, this game is going to be long forgotten.
:cool:

TheOldRoman
Yeah. He sucks. He REALLY REALLY sucks. Unfortunately, the Sox played like crap tonight. We should have won the game 4 or 5 times in extra innings, and each time we found ways to not get it done. The goat of the day (besides Adkins) is Uribe. Rowand was intentionally walked twice to put runners on first and second with 1 out, and Uribe f'ed up both times. Hawk always talks about how it makes a guy angry to see the hitter in front of him intentionally walked, and how pride takes over an the hitter wants to get it done more than usual. Didn't happen tonight. Uribe continues what has been to date a piss poor season. His defense has been great, but he has been a huge let down at the plate.
Freddy looked good tonight. Great to see Anderson get his first hit like that. Timo came up huge tonight. Cotts did his job, Viz looks really good, and Jenks was dominant. This is a horrible, demoralizing loss, but the hitters have nobody to blame but themselves.

Frankfan4life
I'm totallly disgusted with our offense. Like someone said in the game thread, no stolen bases, no hit and run, just flat-out first ball swinging for the fences. The only bright spots were the pitching performances by Freddy, Cotts, Jenks and Viz.

I'm surprised Ozzie let these guys continue to go up there and hack at the first pitch like that. Crede needs to sit for a while. He's just brutal. He can't even advance a runner. A totally useless bat. Ozzie and Kenny need to do something and do it quick.

downstairs
08-17-2005, 01:29 AM
How crappy must it feel to sit there for 15 innings and watch your teammates battle their asses off to try to win, then come in and completely suck to the tune of 5 runs in an inning. What a bum. He didn't even give the team a shot to come back. One run, two runs....there's a slight chance. But 5 freaking runs? Go away, Adkins.

Hawk is making a complete ass out of himself with these "Where are you gonna play him?" comments about Griffey? Gee, Hawk, I don't know. Griffey would only be the best player on the team, Hawk. Stop sounding like such an idiot.

Exactly. WE'LL PLAY GRIFFEY WHEREVER THE HELL HE WANTS TO PLAY!

If he wants to play short stop, I'll friggin' play him there.

When Rowand makes his bid for the hall of fame, then he can battle Griffey for CF.

Gigantor
Who will get sent down, who will do this or who will do that.....Come on guys, this team is in trouble and it is not because of John ****ING Adkins. The Sox do not play fundamental baseball anymore, and the pitching is hurting bad. This is the ****ing TWINS for godsake, a division rival that, at the pace of things, can come clawing back. A sellout crowd at home, playoff atmosphere and bam, they choke and choke bad. Swept technically by the BoSox and maybe tommorow by the Twins, especiallyt because Mark B has pitched for crap this second half......"Oh he had a cookie and he couldnt do anything with it....." That phrase would sit well with me if is was said once and a while, but it is becoming cliche for Hawk to say it.
ROso

mcfish
Hawk is making a complete ass out of himself with these "Where are you gonna play him?" comments about Griffey? Gee, Hawk, I don't know. Griffey would only be the best player on the team, Hawk. Stop sounding like such an idiot.I completely agree. I couldn't help but think about how excited Hawk was to get Frank back, and while I'm just as upset as the next guy that Frank hurt himself, adding Griffey puts us in the same exact situation as adding Frank, if not a better situation because Griffey can play the field.

whitesoxfan
08-17-2005, 01:30 AM

anyone that says Griffey wouldn't fit on this team is nuts and that includes Hawk. I love Hawk, but he's definitely wrong about this one. This team needs another bat without Frank and it's becoming more evident by the day.

one positive i have to mention is Blum. He wasn't really brought here for his bat, but he had a few nice hits tonight when he came in for Paulie.

MRKARNO
08-17-2005, 01:31 AM

:hawk

"Jjav, you didnt answer my question! Where are you gonna play him?"

Mr. N Paul Todd
Yes, Adkins sucks. I expected that.

I did not expect our closer to completely blow the save like he did.

Hermanson blew a save, his 2nd of the year. He did not lose it. We had SEVERAL chances to win the game after Hermy gave up that homer.

Adkins did lose this game, but the offense deserves to be blamed as well. Anyone that says Adkins did not lose the game must not have watched the 16th inning. The guy was BRUTAL.

PAPChiSox729
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I think that sums it up

Just go crazy on Santana tommorrow and I will be a lot happier. Not a good series, even if we win tommorrow, but a sweep would be pretty close to rock bottom. Just win tommorrow.
:cool:

Lip Man 1
Jon Adkins is the right handed version of Kevin Walker.
(Shudder...)

Lip

SoxFan78
Oh......my......God.....

Don't give me the dark cloud BS. When are you gonna start getting concerned? When the Sox are in second place? Give me a break.

downstairs
anyone that says Griffey wouldn't fit on this team is nuts and that includes Hawk. I love Hawk, but he's definitely wrong about this one. This team needs another bat without Frank and it's becoming more evident by the day.

one positive i have to mention is Blum. He wasn't really brought here for his bat, but he had a few nice hits tonight when he came in for Paulie.

Well I'm going to keep agreeing with everyone that says it.

Frank was a major key. Griffey is exactly frank... except not hurt... and better... and a fielder... AND FRIGGIN AVAILABLE!

Unregistered
08-17-2005, 01:32 AM

I still predict we will reach the Playoffs somehow.Wow, helluva prediction, fella. :rolleyes: :D:

As crappy as we're playing lately, I believe it was Lip who said it would take a collapse of biblical proportions to blow the division this late in the year with the lead we have.

Call it "Dog Days" or whatever, but the Sox need a spark - Ozzie needs to get this team back, and in a hurry.

PeteWard
Roso.

Whoa. First of all the lead is 11; 12 in the L column. Secondly, if Hermanson did not make one bad pitch this would have been a dancing banana thread.
Third, there is still half of August and all of Sept to play. So if we hit Sept playing like this, then you can talk about "backing in".
Now if this streak goes to 7 or 8 losses I will agree with you.
But a win tomorrow and 2 of 3 from the Yanks and all is sunshine again.

halfpricemonday
This is not against some **** team in some other division, this is the goddamn Twins, and they are owning us....just like last year.

Well, not exactly like last year. Unless I missed the part of the season when we had an 13 game lead on the Twins.

Anyways, after watching all 16 innings, so I'm sure as hell not going to relive it through the post-game thread. Yeah, I know, Adkins sucks. Let's get them tomorrow and cancel out this crappy loss.

(You know, if we had gotten the win back on Sunday, this place would feel a bit happier. Thanks a lot, Nature!)

Mr. White Sox

He really does sound like an idiot. Did he make these comments when Frank came back from the DL? HELL NO! And Griffey can also play the OF! ***** Hawk.

LVP:
Joe Crede. If he can't do it with the bat, he needs to do it with the glove. ehhh...
Jon Adkins.
Official Release: Jon Adkins was traded to the Schaumberg Flyers for a PTBNL and $20.
I hated the Adkins move when he was brought up, although I understood it, and I hate it even more now. If you want a long reliever, call up someone who's SUCCEEDING in the minors this year, even if they're succeeding marginally better than Adkins. PLEASE callup Felix Diaz or Arnie Munoz; they both deserve shots over this lunkhead.

downstairs

Oh, I don't know. Center Field?!?!?!? You know, where he's played his entire HALL OF FAME CAREER?!?!?

sox1malone84
Malone:

It would take a collapse of biblical proportions to lose this division. If you feel the need to worry about something worry about the nagging injuries that are disrupting the team, worry about the lack of anything resembling small- ball right now or worry about not having home field advantage throughout the playoffs.
But you don't have to worry about the division.

Look at it this way...if the Sox lead is down to six or seven games by Labor Day (which in theory it could be due to the difficulty of the schedule in August and the nagging injuries) that is still a hell of an uphill climb for whoever is in second place.

Lip

Ok, I was just stating my opinion on the situation. Nothing personal. Let's just go to bed, and chill. Were all tired, and we need rest for tommorrow's crucial pitching matchup. Go Sox

Jerko
I completely agree. I couldn't help but think about how excited Hawk was to get Frank back, and while I'm just as upset as the next guy that Frank hurt himself, adding Griffey puts us in the same exact situation as adding Frank, if not a better situation because Griffey can play the field.

There's a theory going around that Hawk knows the Sox won't get Griffey, and his "where will he play" comments are to lessen the angst when it doesn't happen. Kind of like a "reverse Sosa" when the Cubs finally got rid of his ass.

whitesoxfan
08-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Well... his post was a bit nutty...

But "backing in" can, indeed, start now.

If we go .500 or .550 the rest of the way, I think that is a bit scary, don't you?

not really. If we add Griffey, I'd gurantee you we'd be better then .500 for the rest of the 2nd half. I'm really not too worried because the pitching is still impressive (the bullpen was awesome today besides Adkins) and as long as you have good pitching, your going to win a lot more games then your going to lose.

DickAllen72
I completely agree. I couldn't help but think about how excited Hawk was to get Frank back, and while I'm just as upset as the next guy that Frank hurt himself, adding Griffey puts us in the same exact situation as adding Frank, if not a better situation because Griffey can play the field.

You know, I sent Hawk an email tonight saying the exact same thing. I asked him if it were reported tonight that Frank had experienced a miraculous recovery and is now ready to play, would Hawk say "That's great, but where will he play?" Of course he didn't read it on the air!
:smile:

mikeybooyah
It is cute and everything how Ozzie likes to play matchups (ie. taking Marte out for Pollitte to face a righty) but he needs to stop blowing through his bullpen in close games. This is not the first time it has come around to kill us this year. Hermie blew his 2nd save of the year, while it did suck, he is human.
Adkins is the worst. I hate his facial hair. I hate his haircut. I hate how he spits every 3 seconds. I hate everything about him. I also hated those damn Twins fans that would wave at the camera every time a left handed batter came up, man they were irritating. I am very disgruntled right now. :(:

BeviBall!
Two reasons not to panic:

1. We're not healthy. Without Pods and Gooch at the top... we're a .500 team. Herm should go on the DL and we should think about promoting Jenks to be the closer. When everyone's 100%, the winning should emerge.

2. Still 11 up on Cleveland (12 in the loss column).

Two reasons to panic:

1. You can't win games averaging 2.8 runs a game. You just can't. The clutch hitting, sans Timo, has all but disappeared. We don't run anymore, don't put any pressure on the defense at all. Other teams run at will on us. When was the last time AJ had a genuine shot at throwing a runner out?

2. There are at least 4 automatic outs in the lineup every game... and with the lack of depth, that will still be true in October.

MRKARNO
Whoa. First of all the lead is 11; 12 in the L column.

We have two things to play for:

1. A playoff spot

2. The top playoff seed

Where #1 is almost a certainty, #2 is far from it. 5.5 up on Boston for home field advantage with a month and a half is something to be concerned about.

Mr. N Paul Todd
08-17-2005, 01:34 AM
ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

Clutch pitching by our pen until Adkins. Anyone made a note of this??

mcfish
Yeah. He sucks. He REALLY REALLY sucks. Unfortunately, the Sox played like crap tonight. We should have won the game 4 or 5 times in extra innings, and each time we found ways to not get it done. The goat of the day (besides Adkins) is Uribe. Rowand was intentionally walked twice to put runners on first and second with 1 out, and Uribe f'ed up both times. Hawk always talks about how it makes a guy angry to see the hitter in front of him intentionally walked, and how pride takes over an the hitter wants to get it done more than usual. Didn't happen tonight. Uribe continues what has been to date a piss poor season. His defense has been great, but he has been a huge let down at the plate.
Freddy looked good tonight. Great to see Anderson get his first hit like that. Timo came up huge tonight. Cotts did his job, Viz looks really good, and Jenks was dominant. This is a horrible, demoralizing loss, but the hitters have nobody to blame but themselves.Crede was right behind Uribe screwing up every time too - don't put this all on Uribe.

Also, not Cotts fault at all, but there is no way he should have pitched only 1 inning when the game was already in extra innings. That was total mismanagement by Ozzie. Granted, even if he had gone 3 innings, it would have just given our offense 6 more outs to screw up before Adkins blew it, but still - it's bad managing like that that will haunt us down the stretch.

D. TODD
A poorly played game, during a stretch of sub par games. You're going to have that during a 162 game season. We will be just fine! What does disappoint me is the lack of "small ball" lately. We failed to sacrifice a couple of lead off singles (Blumm & Anderson) and that part of your game should not go into slumps. On a positive note I was impressed with Anderson, he did a great job of battling for a big hit after two fastballs were blown right past him. It showed a good mindset for being a big league hitter by the youngster.

Optipessimism

Hawk makes an ass of himself regularly by making BS excuses for losses. It's usually always the umpires' faults or somebody 'caught a break.'

This really got to me tonight when he said that the Twins were lucky to have a close play ruled in their favor, and the Twins were able to win because they capitalized on it. BS Hawk, the Twins outlasted our bullpen, got to the guy who is by far the weakest link on this team in Adkins, and beat the living hell out of him.

Normally I always try to defend Hawk, but when he makes assinine comments like that he really angers me. Are we fans supposed to be blind, deaf, AND stupid?

whitesoxfan
Jon Adkins is the right handed version of Kevin Walker.
(Shudder...)

Lip

yeah thats exactly what i thought about when I saw Adkins give up all of the runs. Hopefully his fate will be the same as Walker's, demoted right after the game.

MRKARNO
08-17-2005, 01:35 AM
Oh, I don't know. Center Field?!?!?!? You know, where he's played his entire HALL OF FAME CAREER?!?!?

"We got the best Centerfielder that I've ever seen out there right now. We don't need Griffey."

downstairs
not really. If we add Griffey, I'd gurantee you we'd be better then .500 for the rest of the 2nd half. I'm really not too worried because the pitching is still impressive (the bullpen was awesome today besides Adkins) and as long as you have good pitching, your going to win a lot more games then your going to lose.

Of course... but we need a solid offense. We have had a terrible offense all year.

Pods with a rotten OBP and stolen bases that don't score can only take you so far.

Ugh!

BRDSR
Ok, I was just stating my opinion on the situation. Nothing personal. Let's just go to bed, and chill. Were all tired, and we need rest for tommorrow's crucial pitching matchup. Go Sox

:?:

The day anyone on this board needs a rest for tomorrows pitching matchup, WSI will become the first fan/player interactive message board on the net.

Of course I'm not worried about losing the division, but home field advantage is starting to creep into my radar. It would still take a pretty momentous collapse, but the Red Sox are 5 behind the Sox(I think) and playing pretty good ball right now.

BeviBall!
Oh......my......God.....

I love posts like this... what do you expect? When Crede goes 0-7, you should probably assume it was a craptacular effort.

downstairs
08-17-2005, 01:36 AM

"We got the best Centerfielder that I've ever seen out there right now. We don't need Griffey."

Good for you Hawk. When Aaron Rowand gives his speech in Cooperstown in a few decades, I will profusely apologize to you.

One game against the Yankees does not make a hall of fame career.

ChiSoxGirl
08-17-2005, 01:36 AM

First 4-gamer of the season. :whiner: This was the longest game in New Comiskey Park/USCF history at 5:09. To think... I spent 5:09 of my life, that I can't get back, listening to this game! This is definitely our roughest stretch of the season thus far.

Some observations, negative and positive.

Negatives

Crede was 0-for-7. And how many of those 7 outs were made on pop ups? I'd love to know. Beyond disgusting! Not to mention, his defensive gaffe opened the flood gates for the Twins in the 16th. :angry:
I don't have as much faith in Adkins as I did, say... last week at this time.
Missed Opportunities Galore in the 11th & 13th innings, just naming the ones Dolgin mentioned in his postgame show!
Another loss in front of 30,000+! :whiner:
They've now lost 11 of their last 18 at USCF, many of which have been in front of said packed houses.
Hermanson blew a save.
Positives

Brian Anderson had a couple of hits, including his first major league knock in the 7th, for which he worked very hard for in that at-bat.
Bobby Jenks had 3 innings of awesome relief.
Though Hermanson blew the save, it was only his second in 32 chances. And honestly, I'd rather it happen tonight than in Sept. & Oct. when those games mean so much more.
While this first 4-gamer and real slump of the season is highly depressing, this loss doesn't mean as much as we thought it could earlier in the season. If this division would've been the Sox/Twins race everyone predicted, this loss could hurt 10 times more than it does.
All we can do is go to bed, get a good night's sleep, and get ready for Buehrle to snap us out of it tomorrow! As so many people say, it's very hard to sweep a team; let's make it impossible for the Twins.

whtsx1959
08-17-2005, 01:37 AM
if we win tommorrow

Win? What is is a win?

O yes I remember now, but it's been a while.

PAPChiSox729
ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

Clutch pitching by our pen until Adkins. Anyone made a note of this??

The bullpen (excluding Adkins) was stellar tonight. But Buehrle needs to go deep into the game tommorrow.

CubsfansareDRUNK
i don't know why but i'm laughing at most of the posts in this thread

Pea-Pod
Two reasons not to panic:

1. We're not healthy. Without Pods and Gooch at the top... we're a .500 team. Herm should go on the DL and we should think about promoting Jenks to be the closer. When everyone's 100%, the winning should emerge.

2. Still 11 up on Cleveland (12 in the loss column).

Two reasons to panic:

1. You can't win games averaging 2.8 runs a game. You just can't. The clutch hitting, sans Timo, has all but disappeared. We don't run anymore, don't put any pressure on the defense at all. Other teams run at will on us. When was the last time AJ had a genuine shot at throwing a runner out?

2. There are at least 4 automatic outs in the lineup every game... and with the lack of depth, that will still be true in October.

the cradinals dont have rolen or walker ..etc...and they are still owning everyone pretty much...so i geuss im trying to say im worried that our whole offense is hinged on Pods...

batmanZoSo
08-17-2005, 01:39 AM

Face it.

It would appear that way, wouldn't it?

Yeah, this team is playing like crap but I'm glad they're doing it now because if this were September I'd be worried. Maybe we'll get hot and start clicking toward the end of the year. That's our hope for now.

MRKARNO

"When you have 3 18-game winners, you can do whatever the heck you want."

PAPChiSox729
i don't know why but i'm laughing at most of the posts in this thread

It is way too late. I think we all need to go to bed. I started cracking up when DJ made the whole 'turn in your pumpkins' comment at midnight. Then I knew I had hit the bottom.

Optipessimism
Bobby Jenks had 3 innings of awesome relief.

Though Hermanson blew the save, it was only his second in 32 chances. And honestly, I'd rather it happen tonight than in Sept. & Oct. when those games mean so much more.

I think Jenks just made himself the closer tonight.
I didn't know we could use bullet points. Cool!

rowand33
what a depressing game.

hopefully this will be a wake up call.

We're better than we've been playing lately. beating the Yankees didn't make us world champions. we can't continue to phone it in.

Jjav829
Good news, scientists just confirmed they have cloned a 30-year-old Willie Mays and he's interested in playing for the White Sox.

"That's great, but where are you gonna play him?"

:rolleyes:

Pea-Pod
08-17-2005, 01:40 AM
i love how Hawk basically blamed the 5 run inning on the close call at first.....instead of the adkins suck-fest

whitesoxfan
08-17-2005, 01:40 AM
[QUOTE=ChiSoxGirl]Bobby Jenks had 3 innings of awesome relief.

Though Hermanson blew the save, it was only his second in 32 chances. And honestly, I'd rather it happen tonight than in Sept. & Oct. when those games mean so much more.QUOTE]

I think Jenks just made himself the closer tonight.
I didn't know we could use bullet points. Cool!

yeah Jenks made himself the closer because Hermy blew his 2nd save in 32 chances? HERMY SUCKS! :rolleyes:

batmanZoSo
08-17-2005, 01:41 AM

LMAO. Um'bleevable. :cool:

TheOldRoman
08-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Who will get sent down, who will do this or who will do that.....Come on guys, this team is in trouble and it is not because of John ****ING Adkins. The Sox do not play fundamental baseball anymore, and the pitching is hurting bad. This is the ****ing TWINS for godsake, a division rival that, at the pace of things, can come clawing back. A sellout crowd at home, playoff atmosphere and bam, they choke and choke bad. Swept technically by the BoSox and maybe tommorow by the Twins, especiallyt because Mark B has pitched for crap this second half......"Oh he had a cookie and he couldnt do anything with it....." That phrase would sit well with me if is was said once and a while, but it is becoming cliche for Hawk to say it.
ROso
You are really making an ass of yourself, and I doubt you will last the night. First of all, this is the second time you mentioned it was a sell out. It wasn't even close, they were about 4,000 short. I am frustrated with how we have played the last few weeks, but you are insane. Buehrle has pitched for crap the second half? You are going down in flames, son.

BeviBall!
08-17-2005, 01:42 AM
i love how Hawk basically blamed the 5 run inning on the close call at first.....instead of the adkins suck-fest

Yep. They don't call him Downtown Jonny Adkins for nothing. Does Charlotte even have a downtown? I guess he'll find out.

Good news is the Sox can save some $$$ for Griffey by throwing this chucklehead on a red eye.

BeviBall!
08-17-2005, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE=Optipessimism]

yeah Jenks made himself the closer because Hermy blew his 2nd save in 32 chances? HERMY SUCKS! :rolleyes:

He means until Herm can heal that back a bit. Dustin can't even top 90 right now.

MRKARNO
08-17-2005, 01:43 AM
Good news, scientists just confirmed they have cloned a 30-year-old Willie Mays and he's interested in playing for the White Sox.

Hey Hawk, what do you think of the rumor that we might be able to obtain Pujols for Joe Borchard?

"I havent heard anything about it, but my first question is, where are you gonna play him? We have the best first baseman I've ever seen out there in Konerko."

Optipessimism
08-17-2005, 01:44 AM

Ahhh, it's you Hawk Harrelson, oh great one who chooses not to speak for like four innings while plotting a new way to insult the fans' intelligence.

SoxSpeed22
For the record, this is not Adkins' fault entirely, yes he coughed up the tie, but Hermie coughed up the lead, the Sox tanked on tons of opportunities and the dark clouds come swarming in from all directions. And don't blame Timo for this!
On a side note: good job Brian Anderson, Here's to your career with the Sox.:gulp:

Gigantor
That actually sounds like a big reason to panic my friend. We cannot do anything right for **** right now, and you know what, September is going to come around in a hurry as will October and the deep playoffs...("PLAYOFFS!!?!?" I love Jim Mora) I sat and read on this very board about how Ben Davis was killed at home plate by Torri Hunter and how it was cheap and how (so many Ands, I apologize) we should get him back by winning the rest of the series, well, we didnt, we got killed and that was it. I am trying to play a Devils Advocate here, but I present some solid arguemens, especially concerning past history, or maybe I dont, I just got back from the bar not to long ago, sorry. This is how its going, nothign is going right, and god, i HATE JOHN ADKINS...TO THE DEVIL YOU FIEND!!!!!. Why is it that we always call up the biggest wastes on Earth, and not just bums who were think are good, but ****heads we know are bums and keep getting the call to blow games. man.....here is a nightmare..."Bottom of the 9th, 1 on and no outs, John Adkins gets the call......" No put that in a playoff perspective or even a deep regular season perspective with David Ortiz at bat.

spiffie
08-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Don't give me the dark cloud BS. When are you gonna start getting concerned? When the Sox are in second place? Give me a break.

To put things in perspective:

If Cleveland plays .800 the rest of the year they will finish 98-64. In order to beat that record, we would have to play .556 (25-20).

If Minnesota plays .800 the rest of the year they will finish 96-66. In order to beat that record, we would have to play .511 (23-22).

Optipessimism
[QUOTE=Optipessimism]

No....

It's because Hermy is hurt and Jenks proved he can do it.

Unregistered
i love how Hawk basically blamed the 5 run inning on the close call at first.....instead of the adkins suck-festYeah, incredibly this was really the first time I've thought "Hawk, shut the **** up."

The call was ridiculously close - even on replays and Hawk acted like it was the most obvious botched-call in history. Nevermind the fact that Adkins proceeded to walk a runner into scoring position and then crapped the bed,
it was all because of that obvious double play we didn't get. :rolleyes:

batmanZoSo
And you know if Griffey came here, Hawk would incessantly tout him as the greatest thing since sliced bread. LMAO. Too funny guys.

Jjav829
That actually sounds like a big reason to panic my friend. We cannot do anything right for **** right now, and you know what, September is going to come around in a hurry as will October and the deep playoffs...("PLAYOFFS!!?!?" I love Jim Mora) I sat and read on this very board about how Ben Davis was killed at home plate by Torri Hunter and how it was cheap and how (so many Ands, I apologize) we should get him back by winning the rest of the series, well, we didnt, we got killed and that was it. I am trying to play a Devils Advocate here, but I present some solid arguemens, especially concerning past history, or maybe I dont, I just got back from the bar not to long ago, sorry. This is how its going, nothign is going right, and god, i HATE JOHN ADKINS...TO THE DEVIL YOU FIEND!!!!!. Why is it that we always call up the biggest wastes on Earth, and not just bums who were think are good, but ****heads we know are bums and keep getting the call to blow games. man.....here is a nightmare..."Bottom of the 9th, 1 on and no outs, John Adkins gets the call......" No put that in a playoff perspective or even a deep regular season perspective with David Ortiz at bat.

Maybe you should go sleep it off and come back in the morning. You're probably going to be embarrassed by what you have typed when you sober up.

TheOldRoman
Yes, Adkins sucks. I expected that.

I did not expect our closer to completely blow the save like he did.
Your posts in this thread have been some of the dumbest I have EVER read, but I knew it was only a matter of time.

I don't know what the difference is between blowing a save and "completely blowing a save", but I guess that isn't the point. It also doesn't matter to you that he blew his second of the year. He blows, lets put in Jenks. If blowing a save every 15 or so opportunities makes you suicidal, I would hate to see you watch us bat. Even the best hitters have you jumping off a cliff 7 out of 10 times. Hermanson didn't lose the game, that is a ridiculous statement. We played 7 horrible innings after he "lost the game" for us. Our hitters had 6 innings, and many many good chances to end the game before Adkins lost it for us. Get real.

starboy0
08-17-2005, 01:47 AM
We'll wake up tomorrow and the big news will be that we Griffey has come aboard. He'll actually make it in time to play tomorrow's game and get the game winning hit. This will start our 4th eight game winning streak. Team chemistry is just fine.

I'm going to bed and willing this dream to happen.

halfpricemonday
08-17-2005, 01:48 AM
man.....here is a nightmare..."Bottom of the 9th, 1 on and no outs, John Adkins gets the call......" No put that in a playoff perspective or even a deep regular season perspective with David Ortiz at bat.

You must have just come from the bar if you think that scenario is even remotely realistic in the playoffs. Yeah, this loss sucks, and it's 5 hours I'll never get back, but c'mon man. Adkins will be lucky to last through the night, let alone into October.

CHISOXFAN13

Face it.

Do you actually do your homework before you come online and post your ridiculous rants.

In case you haven't noticed, those big boys out in Oakland have lost four of five, including two in a row to lowly Baltimore at home.

It's baseball people. These streaks happen to everyone.

I'm pretty pissed off now myself knowing I lost about 2.5 hours of sleep staing the duration, but give me a break.

And who the hell cares if the Cardinals have the best record in baseball. That gets you absolutely nothing.

Damn, I feel better now.

StillMissOzzie

Hell, even if he left his glove at home (it's not like his DEFENSE is imperative), he could still bat anytime Frank was gonna play.
Nine innings of shutout ball by the Twinkie bullpen. So many chances to end this one much, much earlier. I told my son the game was over when Adkins came in to pitch.

YUCCCHHH!

SMO
:gulp:

BeviBall!
No one here should be worried about blowing an 11 game lead. Worry about a short series and the Sox tallying 5 combined runs. I hate August and this schedule ain't helping either.

We turn around and go to Minny next week and send the big three to the bump. That series will be a good measuring stick as to how the playoffs might go.

ma-gaga
I sat and read on this very board about how Ben Davis was killed at home plate by Torri Hunter
but I present some solid arguemens

Wow. I think someone needs to chill out a bit. :gulp:Have another beer, and step away from the keyboard. It's only a game.

Optipessimism
08-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Why doesn't Adkins pull a Farnsworth and go kick a fan?

Unregistered
That actually sounds like a big reason to panic my friend. We cannot do anything right for **** right now, and you know what, September is going to come around in a hurry as will October and the deep playoffs...("PLAYOFFS!!?!?" I love Jim Mora) I sat and read on this very board about how Ben Davis was killed at home plate by Torri Hunter and how it was cheap and how (so many Ands, I apologize) we should get him back by winning the rest of the series, well, we didnt, we got killed and that was it. I am trying to play a Devils Advocate here, but I present some solid arguemens, especially concerning past history, or maybe I dont, I just got back from the bar not to long ago, sorry. This is how its going, nothign is going right, and god, i HATE JOHN ADKINS...TO THE DEVIL YOU FIEND!!!!!. Why is it that we always call up the biggest wastes on Earth, and not just bums who were think are good, but ****heads we know are bums and keep getting the call to blow games. man.....here is a nightmare..."Bottom of the 9th, 1 on and no outs, John Adkins gets the call......" No put that in a playoff perspective or even a deep regular season perspective with David Ortiz at bat. First off, that was Jamie Burke. Second, you need to relax. This was a tough loss, but this isn't game ****ing 7 of the World Series. It's August, morale is low, the team is banged up. As was said earlier, we have a month and a half to "find ourselves" and get hot and we're NOT in any danger of losing the division any time soon.

Jjav829
And you know if Griffey came here, Hawk would incessantly tout him as the greatest thing since sliced bread. LMAO. Too funny guys.

Well, of course.
"Well, that's just Kenny Williams for you. I heard all the critics saying the Sox would never get Griffey. The Jeff Brantley's of the world saying the Sox couldn't get it done. But that's Kenny Williams. He never gives up. The media thought we had no chance to bring in a player of Griffey's caliber but Kenny got it done. Just another great move by a great, great General Manager."

PAPChiSox729
Wow. I think someone needs to chill out a bit. :gulp:Have another beer, and step away from the keyboard. It's only a game.

Laugh while you can ma-gaga.
:wink:

Lip Man 1
BDSR:

The Red Sox are playing unbelieveable ball right now. They are as hot now as the Sox were in April/May.

That's saying something.

Lip

Gigantor
Maybe my friend, maybe. But, this is cause for concern and, as I stated in my prior literary masterpiece of a post, I am playing the Devils Adovcate somewhat, and please, if you think what I am putting out there is wrong, all wrong and damned lies, then do not retort as such, correct me. That is how conversation gets started....so......GO, rip me apart.

SoxSpeed22
08-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Is it just me or has it felt like a ****in' month since the last time we won?

Jjav829
08-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Is it just me or has it felt like a ****in' month since the last time we won?

Just you.

Unregistered
08-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Maybe my friend, maybe. But, this is cause for concern and, as I stated in my prior literary masterpiece of a post, I am playing the Devils Adovcate somewhat, and please, if you think what I am putting out there is wrong, all wrong and damned lies, then do not retort as such, correct me. That is how conversation gets started....so......GO, rip me apart.
Wait a minute... I know that insane rambling anywhere! You're Horsemaster Fred, aren't you?!

whitesoxfan
08-17-2005, 01:54 AM
[QUOTE=whitesoxfan]

No....

It's because Hermy is hurt and Jenks proved he can do it.

yes he is hurt but some people (not saying you) are saying move Hermy out of the closer's role because he blew a save, not because he's hurt. Jenks is the future IMO, there's no doubt about that. If it's all for resting Hermy, I'm all for it. But don't move him out of the closer's role because the guy blew his 2nd save of the year.

SoxSpeed22
Just you.Thank you. I go back to school on Sunday, so maybe I can regain my sanity.

Gigantor
Oh, and Jav, that post was brilliant. That is exactly what I would imagine Hawk saying if Kenny did get Griffey....exactly. So alright, I will step away from the keyboard, albiet for a bit, until I get back down to school. You guys always have a keen...sobering effect on a man in despair. SoxintheBurgh will agree.

P.S., I believe much of my pessimism comes from the fact that I am A K.C. Chiefs fan....my how they have shattered my heart.

halfpricemonday
08-17-2005, 01:59 AM
P.S., I believe much of my pessimism comes from the fact that I am A K.C. Chiefs fan....my how they have shattered my heart.

Want to become a Bears fan? When Jeff Blake is on the depth chart, it's like Christmas morning every day.

Gigantor
08-17-2005, 02:02 AM
I already am because of my dad. But hey, so many 13-3 season or whatever and nothing but Steve Bono interceptions, Mary Schotenhiemer bad play calling and losing to Jim Harbaugh in 95-96 Div. Playoffs because Lin Elliot missed two kicks......:(: Im rambling again, but you should remeber the time Steve Bono AND Jeff Blake were Pro Bowlers....and they were....seriously.

PAPChiSox729
08-17-2005, 02:03 AM
Want to become a Bears fan? When Jeff Blake is on the depth chart, it's like Christmas morning every day.

:redneck

Yeah, the Bears aren't looking too great either. You are going to need a better excuse, Gigantor.

Gigantor
08-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Excuse?! for what? They should have never traded Mary Booker, and for christs sakes why draft another RB? Jesus, at least these players were not out of the Big Ten and more specifically, Michigan.

Optipessimism
08-17-2005, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE=Optipessimism]

yes he is hurt but some people (not saying you) are saying move Hermy out of the closer's role because he blew a save, not because he's hurt. Jenks is the future IMO, there's no doubt about that. If it's all for resting Hermy, I'm all for it. But don't move him out of the closer's role because the guy blew his 2nd save of the year.

Not moving Jenks into the closers role would be a mistake IMO. Right now it makes sense because Hermie is injured, but it also makes sense because Jenks is a prototypical closer while Hermie is not.

These types of things happen in the big leagues. If a team is blessed enough to have a quality player at one spot and a young prospect with a much higher ceiling behind him, the prospect often has to wait for the guy in front of him to become injured or falter. If Jenks moves into the closer spot and succeeds, he becomes the permanent closer and Hermie is a set up man who can also close. IMO there is no way Jenks succeeds as a closer and is later pushed out by a healthy Hermie.

beckett21
08-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Well, that was fun! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=2945) :angry:

PAPChiSox729
08-17-2005, 02:10 AM
One last thought before I go to bed:

Congrats to Brian on his first ML hit. Here's to many more in a Sox uni!

SoxSpeed22
08-17-2005, 02:10 AM
Well, that was fun! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=2945) :angry:well put.

Gigantor
08-17-2005, 02:13 AM
School SoxSpeed? Where do you attend and what year are you?

Optipessimism
08-17-2005, 02:14 AM

I hear that.

And also congrats to Brian on that beautiful running catch near the foul pole. I doubt Pods would have caught that, and I'm sure Timo/Willie/Gload/Ozuna wouldn't have.

Unregistered
08-17-2005, 02:17 AM

Check that, first TWO hits! :cool:

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2005, 02:19 AM
The really nice thing was seeing Jenks throwing 97-99 for strikes. He wasn't just getting people to miss, the was getting called strikes. That doesn't mean he should take over as closer. Hermanson didn't get shelled. He gave up one homer. For only his second blown save of the season. I don't know his health situation, but Ozzie has been pretty good about shutting guys down who need it.

However, I'm still feeling pretty
http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0704/062804joebtfsplk.jpg

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2005, 02:26 AM
Of course I'm not worried about losing the division, but home field advantage is starting to creep into my radar. It would still take a pretty momentous collapse, but the Red Sox are 5 behind the Sox(I think) and playing pretty good ball right now.

We can even look at that as a 4 game cushion, in reality, since they beat us in the season series, meaning they'd get the home field over us if they somehow managed to tie us. I really hope it doesn't come to that tho, and that we can maintain the best record in the AL.

JB98
08-17-2005, 02:28 AM
I'm just angry right now. I'm sick of the Twins coming into our house late in the season and pushing us around. Enough is enough. Since when the hell did we start playing passive baseball? Just because Pods is out of the lineup doesn't mean we should abandon the stolen base and the hit-and-run. We are sitting around, waiting for extra-base hits that never seem to come. Ozzie needs to start pushing the envelope here. Try to make something happen. If we get a guy thrown out on the bases, so be it. If we're going to go down, let's go down fighting.

And we talk a lot on this board about Buerhle being a leader. Well, we need that leadership more than ever tomorrow. I'm tired of having to rationalize, "We're still 30 games over .500, and we still have an 11-game lead in the division, blah, blah, blah." We've been saying that garbage ever since the All-Star break. The reality is we haven't been playing well for a month. It's time to kick it into gear and start playing the type of ball we're capable of playing. I can't for the life of me understand why we are flat against the Twins. We damn well better not be flat this weekend when New York come calling.

TheOldRoman
08-17-2005, 02:28 AM
The really nice thing was seeing Jenks throwing 97-99 for strikes. He wasn't just getting people to miss, the was getting called strikes. That doesn't mean he should take over as closer. Hermanson didn't get shelled. He gave up one homer. For only his second blown save of the season. I don't know his health situation, but Ozzie has been pretty good about shutting guys down who need it.

However, I'm still feeling pretty
http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0704/062804joebtfsplk.jpg
That about says it all. Jenks was amazing tonight. The more I see of him, the more impressed I am. The more I see of Adkins, the more I hate him. This is the kind of loss that makes KW want to call up the Reds and offer them the entire Knights roster for Griffey. I just hope we are able to get Griffey, and soon. This team is dead tired and needs a pick me up. No better boost than adding a first ballot hall of famer to the roster.

kitekrazy
08-17-2005, 02:30 AM
It is cute and everything how Ozzie likes to play matchups (ie. taking Marte out for Pollitte to face a righty) but he needs to stop blowing through his bullpen in close games. This is not the first time it has come around to kill us this year. Hermie blew his 2nd save of the year, while it did suck, he is human.

Ozzie is not very good at stratedgy. The Sox are .500 in extra innings, part of that is Ozzie taking a pitcher out after a successful inning. He put the game in the hands of a minor league pitcher. Gardenhire had 2 pitchers left.

I know everyone wants to get on Adkins case, but he's still a minor league pitcher and he was put in a situation where there was really no one to bail him out. Not the best position to be in.

I think the whole Griffey trade is nothing but a rumor. The Sox are the type of team that makes it difficult for the media to write about. They're not a soap opera. There are too many factors that makes this trade seem phony. It's like the rumor back in the 80's about Marino playing for the Bears.

This is the 1st time the Sox lost 4 in a row. The team hasn't really been through a major losing spell. Maybe that's what they need to keep from being over confident.

captain54
08-17-2005, 02:38 AM
We are not losing this division. Period.

hey, it's baseball..anything can happen.....

the 95' California Angels had an 11 game lead on August 10..

they entered the final week of the season having lost 9 of 10 and 27 of their last 36...they had two nine game losing streaks during this stretch....an 11 game lead turned into a 2 game deficit....

if the Sox can't score runs, they aren't going to win many games, period....

ChiSoxGirl
08-17-2005, 02:44 AM
Ya know, life could be worse- we could be the Royals! They haven't won since they took that 13 inning game from the Sox on July 27, equating to a 17 game losing streak!

kitekrazy
08-17-2005, 02:47 AM
It's baseball people. These streaks happen to everyone.

And who the hell cares if the Cardinals have the best record in baseball. That gets you absolutely nothing.

So true. In baseball a wild card team wins the world series. The team that won the most games doesn't even make it all the way.

The Sox have the best record in the AL. It's a tougher game in the AL.

Chips
08-17-2005, 02:56 AM
So true. In baseball a wild card team wins the world series. The team that won the most games doesn't even make it all the way.

The Sox have the best record in the AL. It's a tougher game in the AL.

The Sox still have the best record in baseball. The redbirds the most wins with 75, but they also lost two more games.

And it doesn't matter on account they play in the weak NL.

gosox3072
08-17-2005, 03:08 AM
Just got back from the game........LONG GAME......anyway heres some thoughts.

Great job by the bulpen minus adkins

The offense blew, but remember that we didnt quite have our best team out there. I think one big big big mistake was pulling konerko in the 9th inning. Id like to see this stop, its not like paulie is such a bad defensive first basemen.

Crowd was great! Everyone was on their feet for almost all of the extra innings and chanting and cheering.....when timo hit that double to take the lead i had goosebumps it was so loud!

All in all hopefully tommarow we can win tommarow and not have our bulpen used too much.

IowaSox1971
08-17-2005, 03:08 AM
I really don't blame Hermanson all that much for this loss. Yes, he gave up a homer, but he regrouped and kept the score tied, and we had many chances to win this game after the ninth inning.

Blame this loss on the offense, and Adkins. It's pathetic when you can't score for nine consecutive innings. And before that scoreless stretch, we should have pushed across another run or two to give Hermanson some breathing room. One-run saves are not that easy to convert. It's a lot easier to convert when it's 5-3 or 6-3 instead of when it's 4-3.

Adkins should not be on this team. Seeing him out there is the same as seeing Gload or Harris ... just bad memories of 2004. Gload and Harris have been horrible this season, and now Adkins is becoming the worst of the group. It's one thing to allow the go-ahead run. Hey, it happens, and at least we still have a chance to come back if the score remains 5-4. But no, Adkins has to let the game totally get away from him.

Adkins, Gload and Harris are three guys who can't come through in the clutch. Adkins can only get guys out when the game is not on the line. He should not be in there if the score is within six runs either way. Gload got most of his hits last year in September, when we were out of the race. This year, when we just need him to field a double-play grounder in Kansas City, he shows he does not belong on a winning team. Harris gets three or four hits when we win, 14-6, but he never gets a hit in a key situation.

WhiteSox16K
08-17-2005, 03:11 AM
I think one big big big mistake was pulling konerko in the 9th inning.

I agree, but disagree. Blum was 2 for 3 and you can't ask for much more then that (other then a GW HR). I don't know, maybe Konerko would've won it, maybe not, but I can't complain with what Blum did at the plate and in the field tonight.

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 03:20 AM
I got back from the game a little while and am still decompressing. My only question tonight is, "Why the **** is Jon Adkins pitching on a major league team...and especially what did we do to deserve him?"

ChiSoxPatF
08-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Baseball is a game of momentum. It ebbs and flows and we've been lucky to ride high for long periods and struggle for very short periods (good pitching will do that). But this must pass too; no team can go a whole season without losing 4 or more games in a row, not when its a 162 game season.

We just need to all stay positive - who would be dumb enough to trade where we are with ANY other team in baseball!? We're going to the playoffs.... just keep telling yourself that.

Unregistered
08-17-2005, 03:39 AM
I got back from the game a little while and am still decompressing. My only question tonight is, "Why the **** is Jon Adkins pitching on a major league team...and especially what did we do to deserve him?"
Well, if you really want to know, we traded Ray Durham. :D:

Bisco Stu
08-17-2005, 03:40 AM
We'll be laughing at this loss when we win the ALDS.

On the slight chance it hasn't been posted, this was the longest game in New Comiskey history.

mealfred13
08-17-2005, 03:44 AM
Wow..... That was the longest game I've ever been to. We toughed it out until Adkins gave up yet another run making the game something like 7 to 4 at which point we decided to leave. I was praying for the solo shot since the bottom of the 9th, and it was disgusting to see us get 2 on with 1 out twice and do nothing with it.

On the plus sides, the relief looked awesome until the 16th, and Anderson and Blum looked good. I was worried Viz might blow the game, but he was a pleasant surprise.

The crowd was great tonight, discounting the few twins fans who showed up who were relatively quiet up in section 535. It was also a beautiful night, although by the time the Sox went a 15th inning without even a Solo Walk-off, my bed was sounding really good.

Here's to hoping they can turn it around in the last game, and from here on out :gulp:

gosox3072
08-17-2005, 04:20 AM
The thing is that in the 16th we had to pitch adkins. Jenks had thrown about 50 pitches and surely couldnt go anymore......ozzie had no other choice. On the other hand we shouldve scored before then!

Soxmissy
08-17-2005, 04:58 AM
What is happening to our Team? Somebody give me a good reason to come in off the ledge! No way should we have lost these 2 games to the Twinkies!
This does not bode well with The Yankees coming in! Give me a legitimate reason to be optomistic please! I love these guys but their spark is gone.:(:

ZachAL
08-17-2005, 05:25 AM
The crowd was great tonight, discounting the few twins fans who showed up who were relatively quiet up in section 535.

And the fan in RF who threw that HR ball back....

JRIG
08-17-2005, 07:02 AM
I agree, but disagree. Blum was 2 for 3 and you can't ask for much more then that (other then a GW HR). I don't know, maybe Konerko would've won it, maybe not, but I can't complain with what Blum did at the plate and in the field tonight.

Konerko has the chance to end the game with one swing every time at the plate. He missed at least 3 opportunities to do that yesterday because Ozzie removed him. And for what? Geoff Blum at first? Is that a significant upgrade that you'd take Konerko's bat out of the lineup in case of a situation like last night? I don't think so.

PAPChiSox729
08-17-2005, 07:14 AM
hey, it's baseball..anything can happen.....

the 95' California Angels had an 11 game lead on August 10..

they entered the final week of the season having lost 9 of 10 and 27 of their last 36...they had two nine game losing streaks during this stretch....an 11 game lead turned into a 2 game deficit....

if the Sox can't score runs, they aren't going to win many games, period....

Well yeah technically we can still loose the division, but I don't see how this team could play that poorly for a long stretch of time, especially with Ozzie as our manager. Plus there have been plenty of statistics thrown around saying how hot the Indians or Twins would have to get to catch us, even if we play mediocre ball. It just isn't happening. You can call me too optimistic, but I am just trying to be realistic.

MRKARNO
08-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Konerko has the chance to end the game with one swing every time at the plate. He missed at least 3 opportunities to do that yesterday because Ozzie removed him. And for what? Geoff Blum at first? Is that a significant upgrade that you'd take Konerko's bat out of the lineup in case of a situation like last night? I don't think so.

I'm with you. Towards the end of the game, I was thinking "Gee, wouldnt it have been nice if Konerko were left in the game?" Blum in for Konerko is, at best, a sideways defensive move and a terrible downgrade offensively. Konerko has a HR about once every 14 at bats, so three at bats means a 1 in a 4.5 chance (approx) that he hits one out.

BTW, it was comforting to see the part of the bullpen that will be on the playoff roster give up only one run in 8 innings. You have to put that in perspective. Even Luis got in on the fun before Adkins ruined any chance of a win. I'm not upset at Hermanson at all. If you look around the league, he's been FAR steadier than almost anyone. Proven closers like Rivera, Lidge and K-Rod have all blow one run leads this week.

Viva Medias B's
08-17-2005, 07:52 AM
I am not saying we are going to blow the divisional lead, but I do not like the fact that we have played like crap the past two weeks. It has been now one week since our last victory, and the two victories we had last week both could have been losses. All I want is for us to play like we did in the first half when we consistenly win two-of-three.

BeviBall!
08-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Plus there have been plenty of statistics thrown around saying how hot the Indians or Twins would have to get to catch us, even if we play mediocre ball.

I'd kill for mediocre ball right now.

soxjim
08-17-2005, 08:07 AM
I knew this was going to be a tough part of our schedule. I did not expect our offense to go into hibernation for this period of time. Pitchers know to throw first pitch fast ball and our hitters swing resulting in pop ups. I go get something to drink from the fridge and there is 2 outs all ready when I get back. Now I'm :angry: .

By September I don't want to be:whiner: .

Madvora
08-17-2005, 08:15 AM
That was tough last night, but I'm so damn glad we have this big of a lead because if this happened within the last 4 years I would have been out the window.
The fact is that we're still going to the playoffs and I'm looking for signs that we'll be ok in the playoffs.

Positive
1. Bobby Jenks was incredible! - 3 IP, 0 ER
2. Viscaino was incredible - 2 IP, 0 ER, ERA to 3.74 now
3. Cotts, Politte, Marte - no runs allowed
4. Garcia - 7 IP, 3 ER - pretty good
5. Blum, Anderson and Perez with 2 hits each

Negative
1. John Adkins - most likely won't see any playoff action anyway
2. Walks to Rowand twice to get to Crede and Uribe - they should have come through, they had their chances, howver Crede was robbed on a nice shot to 3rd.

BeviBall!
08-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Crede did get robbed, but the true killer was 1st and 2nd, 1 out... Uribe with a 3-1 count and he pops up to shallow CF. The game was lost then.

soxjim
08-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Crede did get robbed, but the true killer was 1st and 2nd, 1 out... Uribe with a 3-1 count and he pops up to shallow CF. The game was lost then.

I agree! Runners on, less than 2 outs and we pop out. This has been killing us the past few weeks.:angry:

Madvora
08-17-2005, 08:47 AM
I didn't like the idea of Uribe (unbelievably Uribe out of anyone!) actually drawing a walk, then Crede swinging at the first pitch he sees and popping out. I can't even remember what inning that was...

Railsplitter
08-17-2005, 08:50 AM
T.S. Eliot was definately not a Sox fan. If he had, he would have written August is the cruelest month.

pczarapa
It's truly amazing we're still 31 games over .500, even with going 21-19 in the months of July and so far in August. This slump will end soon.

Hangar18
Unbelievably ............ I stayed for that 16 inning nonsense ........
that was some very POOR baseball played by the SOX .........I thought it was
2001 all over again .......and 2002. ..........:angry:

on the doubleplay that was started by Adkins ....was the guy SAFE at first?

pczarapa
08-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Unbelievably ............ I stayed for that 16 inning nonsense ........
that was some very POOR baseball played by the SOX .........I thought it was
2001 all over again .......and 2002. ..........:angry:

on the doubleplay that was started by Adkins ....was the guy SAFE at first?

Hawk sure didn't think so, it was a close call

BeviBall!
08-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Hawk sure didn't think so, it was a close call

Then Hawk waits for the flood gates to open before he starts bashing the umps... again. It was really close but in a game where everyone wants to go home, the umps backed the Twins to win. IT started with AJ's "foul tip" the inning prior.

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Then Hawk waits for the flood gates to open before he starts bashing the umps... again. It was really close but in a game where everyone wants to go home, the umps backed the Twins to win. IT started with AJ's "foul tip" the inning prior.

Which was a bad call in itself...The ball did not even touch Pierzynski's bat. He should've gotten at least 1 more shot at hitting something.

downstairs
08-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Ok... had a night to think about it....

Negatives:

13 of 16 innings we score zero runs.
(I think that counts as three losses. Need to check the books on that.)

Positives:

We're still 36.5 ahead of KC

Baby Fisk
08-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Adkins is the worst. I hate his facial hair. I hate his haircut. I hate how he spits every 3 seconds. I hate everything about him. I also hated those damn Twins fans that would wave at the camera every time a left handed batter came up, man they were irritating. I am very disgruntled right now. :(:
I agree with all of this. Cotts should be used more. If Hermanson's back is causing problems, we can't go through 4 pitchers before he comes into a game.

Twins fans are all nerds. "Ho golly, the durn camera's on us agin! Wave for the cousins! Hey, I'm on the TV!" Get over it, nerds. :rolleyes:

Dan H
08-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Fellow Sox fans: This is playoff baseball. The Twins are going nowhere this year, but they are the defending the division champs and they are not going just let the Sox win. I count four defensive plays made by Minnesota that derprived the Sox runs during these two games. Their hitting isn't great, but it is obvious they came to play. Many thought this series didnt' mean anything. Tell that to the Twins.

The A's, Angels, Red Sox, Yankees. None of those teams are going to let the Sox win, either. If the Sox don't get their "A" game going right now, they better by the end of the year. Play uninspired ball like this in the playoffs, and it will be three and out.

I know Perez and Anderson came up with key hits, but they are not the answer. Somebody needs to step up, and somebody else needs to be leading off. If the losing continues, it won't just be a slump. It will be a Cub-like disaster.

Ol' No. 2
08-17-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm not going to read through all these posts, and someone probably has said everything I'm going to say, but after staying to the bitter end and getting home after 1am, all I can say is: Ugh.

Silver linings:

1. Jenks looked awesome. This kid is the real deal. I think Lew Ford had to go back and change his shorts after that curve ball buckled him.

2. I don't think we are going to be seeing anymore Adkins vs. Bajenaru arguments.

3. Brian Anderson got his feet wet and did pretty well for his first game.

Adkins pitched as bad as anyone I've seen in a long time. But when you can't get AAA hitters out (5.58 ERA, 1.54 WHIP in Charlotte), why would it come as a surprise when he can't get major league hitters out?

fan_since_64
08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
The other night I was BLASTED and called a cub fan for suggesting the Sox were a third place team! What I meant was that in March, I only expected the Sox to be a third place team this year. When Ozzie was hired I thought it would take three years to get to the 'promised land'. Perhaps we are still a year and a few Kenny Williams after-the-season-deals from a a truely dominate team.

Unfortunately over the last week, they have resembled the team I feared we had. Worse, is it my imagination or do Crede, Paulie and Carl look a lot like they are swinging for the fences a la 02-03-04 ??

Still it seems unlikely the Sox would miss the playoffs. With their pitching and some revived hitting (it has to revive at some point!) they may get past the first round.

clogoodie
08-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Not much that hasn't been said already, but I just feel the need to vent...

I don't care who the hell we give up for Griffey, give the Reds Anderson, Borchard, & Sweeney. McCarthy too. We need a mid-order presence, somebody who can still smack the ball with authority and strike fear in oppossing pitchers. This team desperately needs him...nevermind Hawk Harrelson's moronic "Where are you gonna play him?" (Hawk - we'll play him at DH and shuffle him into outfield slots...pretty much use him the way we were using Frank. Except that Griffey can play the field)

Is the Red's GM an idiot? He has about 6 OF there, and has refused to trade even one...here he's gonna get back solid major-league ready prospects for an often injured OF...his team isn't doing **** this year, they could use the prospects...but no, he insists there's no trade talks. Ugh.

Last night was horrible. I was so excited after Timo's hit took gave us the lead, started thinking 'it looks like we got some swagger back'...and kept thinking that as Marte & Politte did their jobs. Then Hermanson gives up the HR, and we squander assloads of opportunities in Extra Innings to win it. I'm not evven gonna blame Hermanson, it happens, and he didn't lose the game. Ozzie mismanaged the bullpen again as Cotts should have thrown more than 1 inning...and i also have to question lifting Konerko for Blum defensively - not a bad move, but looks terrible in retrospect, cuz it sure woulda been nice to have Konerkos bat in extras.

Sigh. I'm just really frustrated that our lead is shrinking, that the magic number is only dwindling thanks to Indians losses, but mostly because we aren't playing good baseball...we're not in danger of losing the division, butit's obvious that we're not doing the things we were doing earlier in the year offensively - not sacrificing, hit and running, moving guys along. There's too much swinging for the fences, and that's not what this team is built to do.

Pods - get healthy. Griffey - get the hell over here.

On, and Adkins should be taken out back and shot. Preferably in Charlotte, but it might be easier to dispose of the body in Birmingham.

cheeses_h_rice
08-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Wow, it's like a Dark Cloud partay in here.

If Hermanson closes out the 9th like he normally does, or if Crede's line shot down the third base line doesn't get grabbed on a great play by Cuddyer, the Sox win. Game of inches and all that.

Adkins sucked, but I take away from this game more confidence in our pen, and comfort that Brian Anderson might be a welcome addition offensively and defensively.

I trust this team to be good enough to not be playing like this one month from now. Here's to hoping.

infohawk
08-17-2005, 10:39 AM

Face it.

C'mon guys.:rolleyes: Everyone needs to lighten up. Nobody would be suggesting that the Sox were going to "back into" the playoffs if the team went on a prolonged winning streak over the next few days. The first time the team loses more than three in a row during the season is in mid-August, and the gloom and doomers come out in force. It might not even be a four-game losing streak had the Red Sox game not been rained out. Maybe the Sox win the game, maybe they don't. I mean, who knows? Every other playoff contender out there, in both leagues, had a period where they played cold. And it hasn't been the team with the most regular season wins that has won the World Series for the past few years anyway. Regular season wins DO NOT translate into post-season success.

The Sox are a little cold right now. The important thing is that the effort has been there. I remember how the Twins would go into a little funk in the previous two years only to eventually snap out of it. It happens to EVERY team eventually. They may lose a few more in the coming days against Santana and the Yankees. Let's just hang in there and wait to catch some positive momentum.

harwar
08-17-2005, 10:43 AM
I have been expecting a mini-swoon in august.
Quite a few teams hit the wall right around now.
We would look bad against the royals right now.
In the not-too-far distant future i expect all these dark clouds will blow downwind and the sun will shine again.
Mental and physical lapses caused by mental and physical exhaustion will go away as quickly as they came and theres' not a damn thing Ozzie can do about it.
We just have to get through the next couple of weeks without giving too many games away.
We have the best pitching and the best defense in the league and KW will probably pick up a bug stick(dimiti young maybe)to help.
I guarantee the White Sox will roll through september.
We just have to tighten up ship and ride out the storm.

DarkCloudDropo
08-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Two things that bothered me the most were pulling Paul and not giving Cotts more work.

If Paul had been a baserunner with a one run lead and there was good potential to score again I would accept this move. If Blum was some kind of defensive upgrade I could maybe accept this move but even this would bother me. But to just willy-nilly switch these guys looks to me like a manager who likes to just do things. It's little league. Certainly not smart.

Neil being pulled after one good inning? I said to myself at the time the game is tied now, why bring in your 6th pitcher already when Cotts should be capable of at least one more and maybe 2, you know, just in case it's a long game yet? You never know how long a game is going to last. Why not be efficient with your staff? Ozzie, get a clue. I really don't think this guy learns very well.

After the team stayed all day in the Boston rainout and now this I can imagine how the players must feel. They have to be pretty down. 4 straight losses now and they have to be worried, big lead be damned!

There's time to straighten back out but if Oz keeps on with his kind of managing I don't see why it would.

russ99
08-17-2005, 10:50 AM

The horrible umpiring the last two games didn't help, either. Where's our "home field advantage" like the Red Sox had last weekend?

DarkCloudDropo
08-17-2005, 10:51 AM
I have been expecting a mini-swoon in august.
Quite a few teams hit the wall right around now.
We would look bad against the royals right now.
In the not-too-far distant future i expect all these dark clouds will blow downwind and the sun will shine again.
Mental and physical lapses caused by mental and physical exhaustion will go away as quickly as they came and theres' not a damn thing Ozzie can do about it.
We just have to get through the next couple of weeks without giving too many games away.
We have the best pitching and the best defense in the league and KW will probably pick up a bug stick(dimiti young maybe)to help.
I guarantee the White Sox will roll through september.
We just have to tighten up ship and ride out the storm.

I would only say that when the lapses are oz's own that there's good reason to worry.
And you can't guarantee a thing about september. Maybe we will recover and maybe we won't. We will simply sit back and see. Sunny Days (anti dark clouds) whistling in the dark won't change a thing.

infohawk
08-17-2005, 10:53 AM

I don't know. We had enough to go sixteen innings. Of course, thanks is in order for the terrific job that Jenks did by going three solid innings. It's easy to get 20/20 hindsight with respect to a game like last night's. Most extra inning games probably don't go that long. If Ozzie knew it would go sixteen or more he may have made different decisions. He didn't have the benefit of that knowledge at the time.

I was concerned when the game went to extra innings. I think the Twins biggest strength is their bullpen depth. We have a good bullpen, but they have a dominating and deep pen. Once it became a battle of the 'pens, I thought that the Sox could very well lose the game. Without Jenks, it probably would have ended much sooner.

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't think it's entirely dark cloud, this thread, considering that, bar the Cleveland sweep, the Sox have been iffy all 2nd half. Home has been dismal: we lost a series to the freakin' Tigers. I was there for a couple of those.

Here's how we've fared since the ASB:

-Swept Cleveland in Cleveland
-Lost series at home to Detroit
-Split series at home with Boston
-Lost series at KC (I was there for those two losses, ugh)
-Swept Baltimore
-Lost series to Toronto at home
-I think we won the Seattle series at home
-Won Yankee series
-Lost Boston series
-Just lost the Minnesota series at home

Our whole M.O. 1st half was to at least win the series. What'd we lose, like maybe 2? 3? Oakland and Texas? And my whole refrain during the first 1/2 honeymoon was: "Talk to me after the ASB, because that's when it all counts." Well, here we are. I wouldn't panic just yet, but as many have pointed out, there are some serious flaws. And #1, indisputably, is the OFFENSE.

Because we were masters of small ball 1st half, we got by with 1 or 2 runs. Well, small ball has been all but MIA 2nd half and--ouila!--we're losing games. As many here said 1st half, eventually the pitching would come down to Earth, and it most certainly has. This was the point where the bats would finally heat up and compensate and we'd keep cruising.

Thud. Crede's been a disaster offensively--my God, four popups?. Uribe has been so-so. Paulie seems to homer or nothing. Dye is back in April. Rowand is whatever, and A.J. I guess has been okay.

It's a very simple problem: we play small ball and pitch well, we get away with the low output. We're not playing small ball anymore, and we're getting shelled. We can't expect the pitchers 2nd half to throw shutouts and one-run games--even moreso when we give them crap run support. The entire offense should be having a sitdown with the pitchers and apologizing. Freddy deserved to win that game last night. And even though Contreras (whom I hate) had a Big Inning the night before, a four-run deficit should hardly have sealed our fate.

The list goes on. And here's my disturbing question: when was the last time we stole a base? Excuse me, is Pods the only one who's ever going to steal? Is Tads lame? Is Dye in a wheelchair? What about Rowand? Uribe? Talk about one-dimensional: only one guy on the team is ever going to steal? That's not team ball.

So it's suck-it-up time to reassess and start doing that Ozzie thing, if there is such a thing. And yes, for God's sake...get Ken Griffey Jr. Now is the time for a bold step when we've got the prize in sight. If we stagger into the playoffs having made no move and do another 2000, this is going to haunt all of us.

Hangar18
08-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Well, the dark clouds are out .......... and its not because they shouldnt be
out, I think were stating the obvious. Scott Pods is the MVP of our
One-Dimensional offense . We cannot Situational Hit/Fundamentally hit to save our lives ........that was a very AA-esque performance last nite. The fact that the only guy the Twinks were scared of late was Rowand, says something.

*Ozz pretty much overmanaged again ......
*Crede reallly needs to get a refresher course on hitting ..........
* The umps need to get a clue and take their jobs seriously .......way
too many missed calls, bad calls.
* Adkins isnt good. enough of him
* Middle of our lineup of NonContact hitters like Konerko,Dye, are killing us,
and I said it was only a matter of time before they started hurting us. Our pitching is great ........but we cant expect them to throw 5 hit, 2run ball
every start.

SpringfldFan
08-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Well, this loss didn't hurt as bad as I would have thought. Got back from the state fair and turned on the tv to see what happened and saw it was in the 13th inning. I knew Jenks was due to get the call, so I tuned in to watch him - and wasn't disappointed. BTW I loved the exchange:

DJ: "Bobby is really pitching his butt off tonight"
Hawk: "He's gonna be out there a long time then":D:

Anway, I went to bed after the 14th, thinking Jenks was done. I really wasn't worth me even staying up to see. Right now with the way the team is playing, I just don't have the enthusiasm. Just meh.

SFF

fan_since_64
08-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Ol No. 2:

How about sending Adkins back down and bringing Gload back up? Why hasn't Gload been given more of a chance? He only hit 300+ over the 2nd half of 04'. He has some pop in the bat, he 's a good fielder (KC error game-losing notwithstanding) and he's a little faster than Paulie. Well more than a little....

HOBOKEN-ILLINI13
08-17-2005, 11:07 AM
"Adkins should be taken out back and shot."

i agree that he pitched like poo poo, he doesn't belong in the bigs...he's junk- doesn't get ahead in the count, and get's hit hard.....

MisterB
08-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Our whole M.O. 1st half was to at least win the series. What'd we lose, like maybe 2? 3? Oakland and Texas? And my whole refrain during the first 1/2 honeymoon was: "Talk to me after the ASB, because that's when it all counts." Well, here we are. I wouldn't panic just yet, but as many have pointed out, there are some serious flaws. And #1, indisputably, is the OFFENSE.

Because we were masters of small ball 1st half, we got by with 1 or 2 runs. Well, small ball has been all but MIA 2nd half and--ouila!--we're losing games. As many here said 1st half, eventually the pitching would come down to Earth, and it most certainly has. This was the point where the bats would finally heat up and compensate and we'd keep cruising.

Have to dispel a myth I've seen twice on this thread:

"The Sox pitching has finally come back down to earth."

White Sox by month:
Month - ERA - R/G scored
APR - 3.13 - 4.42
MAY - 3.68 - 4.39
JUN - 3.45 - 5.64
JUL - 4.34 - 5.38
AUG - 3.71 - 3.57

The Sox pitching is better than it was last month and is about as good as it was in May. This August slump is almost 100% offense.

russ99
08-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Well, the dark clouds are out ...

Speaking of dark clouds, did anybody else see that cloud of what I think were bats above the roof behind home plate last night in the 4th or 5th inning?

SpringfldFan
08-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Have to dispel a myth I've seen twice on this thread:

"The Sox pitching has finally come back down to earth."

White Sox by month:
Month - ERA - R/G scored
APR - 3.13 - 4.42
MAY - 3.68 - 4.39
JUN - 3.45 - 5.64
JUL - 4.34 - 5.38
AUG - 3.71 - 3.57

The Sox pitching is better than it was last month and is about as good as it was in May. This August slump is almost 100% offense.

Wow, doesn't this fly in the face of the theory that its is more valuable to have good pitching than good hitting? Also, watching our best pitchers against Oakland & Boston earlier, it would seem that good hitting beats good pitching. What gives?

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm not going to read through all these posts, and someone probably has said everything I'm going to say, but after staying to the bitter end and getting home after 1am, all I can say is: Ugh.

Silver linings:

1. Jenks looked awesome. This kid is the real deal. I think Lew Ford had to go back and change his shorts after that curve ball buckled him.

2. I don't think we are going to be seeing anymore Adkins vs. Bajenaru arguments.

3. Brian Anderson got his feet wet and did pretty well for his first game.

Adkins pitched as bad as anyone I've seen in a long time. But when you can't get AAA hitters out (5.58 ERA, 1.54 WHIP in Charlotte), why would it come as a surprise when he can't get major league hitters out?

After the game was over, I left the ballpark muttering, "There's a reason Adkins is the last man in the bullpen." Upon four hours or so of sleep, I've modified that to, "Where's Bajenaru?"

Baby Fisk
08-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Speaking of dark clouds, did anybody else see that cloud of what I think were bats above the roof behind home plate last night in the 4th or 5th inning?
Maybe it's some strays leftover from the Batman movie they shot in Chicago.

:buddylee
"Why do we fall down?"

:burly
"So that we can pick ourselves back up again."

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 11:24 AM
The other night I was BLASTED and called a cub fan for suggesting the Sox were a third place team! What I meant was that in March, I only expected the Sox to be a third place team this year. When Ozzie was hired I thought it would take three years to get to the 'promised land'. Perhaps we are still a year and a few Kenny Williams after-the-season-deals from a a truely dominate team.

Unfortunately over the last week, they have resembled the team I feared we had. Worse, is it my imagination or do Crede, Paulie and Carl look a lot like they are swinging for the fences a la 02-03-04 ??

Still it seems unlikely the Sox would miss the playoffs. With their pitching and some revived hitting (it has to revive at some point!) they may get past the first round.

You were full of **** then, and you're full of **** now. In your favor: At least you're consistent:

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Wow, doesn't this fly in the face of the theory that its is more valuable to have good pitching than good hitting? Also, watching our best pitchers against Oakland & Boston earlier, it would seem that good hitting beats good pitching. What gives?

The idea is to have a balance between pitching, hitting, and defense.

MisterB
08-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Wow, doesn't this fly in the face of the theory that its is more valuable to have good pitching than good hitting?
Not at all. The best overall staff ERA in baseball is the Cards at 3.47 and the Sox are scoring only one-tenth of a run better than that. Basically the best pitching team in baseball would be .500 with this offense right now. The Sox bats are ICE cold right now. Only KC's offense has been worse in August.

Also, watching our best pitchers against Oakland & Boston earlier, it would seem that good hitting beats good pitching. What gives?

Yet the back end of the rotation held the Yankees offense to 6 runs in a 3 game series, and they've got good hitting.

Hangar18
08-17-2005, 11:48 AM

Good Pitching & Good Hitting
Always Beats
Good Pitching & Crappy Hitting

MsSoxVixen22
08-17-2005, 11:51 AM
We're all pretty :angry: right now. The Sox have been in ahelluva funk right now. Garcia really didn't pitch too bad. This lineup really misses Pods right now. Almost always, when Pods gets on base it kinda kick starts the rest of the guys. We'll be ALOT better when Pods comes back. Meanwhile, the rest of the guys need to pull their head outta their ass and play Ozzieball again! KW should be his damnest to get another big bat. We may need it. I also agree with leaving Cotts in there another fews outs or innings. He's come a long way and I trust him alot more than Marte. Though surprisingly, he pitched pretty good last nite. :bandance: For Mr. Anderson and 1st hit. Hope he does well up here with the rest of the guys. As for Hawk, cut the guy some slack. He was just as :angry: as we were that the Sox were playing like crap. His comment about JR was kinda dumb. As for DJ, I agree he really sucks by himself. Lets hope Mark has his **** together and his has run support.....any when I say run support I mean more than 2 or 3 runs!!!

MIgrenade
08-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Always Beats

While the A's have good pitching, the Red Sox don't. The White Sox get beat by their offense, not pitching. The WS have great pitching while the RS have crap pitching but an incredible offense. The A's I can believe. That team is hitting now and looked balanced...kinda the way the White Sox looked in the first half. The difference is that the WS are not a second half team and the A's are.
Comparing the WS pitching to the Red Sox pitching though is ridiculous.

LVSoxFan
08-17-2005, 12:15 PM
The A's are flat-out scary right now; and they always kick our ass regardless.

However, I wouldn't say the Red Sox' pitching sucks. It may have its problems, but they have some pretty good starters and a banged-up bullpen.

Sad
08-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Always Beats

you have a tremendous grasp upon the obvious...

shoota
08-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Griffey has had a much better career than Aaron Rowand, but I believe today, Rowand is the better defensive option in center field. Thankfully, there is still a place for Griffey to play on the Sox: DH.

I'd welcome Griffey to the Sox if he were traded here, but I am really worried about his long-term, expensive contract hurting the small market-minded Sox budget through the life of his deal.

For this reason, I'd rather trade for Mike Sweeney. I know he has a few years left on his contract at a high amount (11.5 million per year?), but since Paulie's deal expires after this season, the Sox will need to sign a 1bman anyway.

Sweeney is 32 years old and Griffey is 35.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Shoota:

According to The Sporting News any team that wants Sweeney has to pick up his entire remaining deal. Kansas City will not contribute one dime towards getting him off their hands.

Lip

balke
08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Griffey has had a much better career than Aaron Rowand, but I believe today, Rowand is the better defensive option in center field. Thankfully, there is still a place for Griffey to play on the Sox: DH.

DH, RF, LF, CF. He could platoon all areas of the outfield (I'm sure he'd only see RF, CF and DH though). I'm sure he has as much range if not more than Dye in RF. He'd obviously be an upgrade in LF defensively. CF he could give Rowand breathers, and keep some respect for himself. I'd never whine if he was in CF, but I would say Rowand is the better CF at this point.

I don't think anyone loses with Griffey being on the team. You can platoon and shape your lineup however you want come playoff time. Carl can play, or be a switch hitting PHer in the national league contests. Carl can play RF some games, or Dye can play RF some games. You can put more lefties in the lineup, or more righties.

This is one of the biggest things I've disagreed with Hawk on in terms of his opinions. Griffey makes perfect sense. He's not taking anyone's job, he's helping this team become more complete. He's obviously a better hitter than anyone on the team, he forces teams to pitch to Konerko with runners on, or face Griffey which will bring more walks. You add a great bat to a bench that right now is lacking just that (although I think Anderson helps that spot if the Sox are serious about using him this season), making this team very versatile and dangerous in both away and home contests.

I don't know, I'm comfortable with this team, but if somehow we land Griffey I'm guaranteeing we leave the 1st round with a win, and make a strong run at a World Series. Still, in Kenny we trust. He'll make the right decision, whatever it is.

shoota
08-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Shoota:

According to The Sporting News any team that wants Sweeney has to pick up his entire remaining deal. Kansas City will not contribute one dime towards getting him off their hands.

Lip

And how much money are the Sox reported to receive from Cincinnati in the Griffey deal?

maurice
08-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Congrats to Brian Anderson on a solid debut: 2 hits, scored what would have been the game-winning run, made a great catch in the LF corner, and made a nice hustle play backing up Rowand and holding Mauer to a "double."

rowand33
08-17-2005, 02:50 PM
DH, RF, LF, CF. He could platoon all areas of the outfield (I'm sure he'd only see RF, CF and DH though). I'm sure he has as much range if not more than Dye in RF. He'd obviously be an upgrade in LF defensively. CF he could give Rowand breathers, and keep some respect for himself. I'd never whine if he was in CF, but I would say Rowand is the better CF at this point.

I don't think anyone loses with Griffey being on the team. You can platoon and shape your lineup however you want come playoff time. Carl can play, or be a switch hitting PHer in the national league contests. Carl can play RF some games, or Dye can play RF some games. You can put more lefties in the lineup, or more righties.

This is one of the biggest things I've disagreed with Hawk on in terms of his opinions. Griffey makes perfect sense. He's not taking anyone's job, he's helping this team become more complete. He's obviously a better hitter than anyone on the team, he forces teams to pitch to Konerko with runners on, or face Griffey which will bring more walks. You add a great bat to a bench that right now is lacking just that (although I think Anderson helps that spot if the Sox are serious about using him this season), making this team very versatile and dangerous in both away and home contests.

I don't know, I'm comfortable with this team, but if somehow we land Griffey I'm guaranteeing we leave the 1st round with a win, and make a strong run at a World Series. Still, in Kenny we trust. He'll make the right decision, whatever it is.

good post.

where do you play Griffey? you rotate rest between him, Rowand, Pods, Dye, and Everett once every five days.

everybody rests at least once every five games anyways.

Griffey replaces Timo Perez, not any of the starters.

Paulwny
08-17-2005, 02:55 PM
As long as Griffey bats 3rd or 4th in the line-up who cares where he plays, that what Ozzie is paid to figure out.

JB98
08-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Ol No. 2:

How about sending Adkins back down and bringing Gload back up? Why hasn't Gload been given more of a chance? He only hit 300+ over the 2nd half of 04'. He has some pop in the bat, he 's a good fielder (KC error game-losing notwithstanding) and he's a little faster than Paulie. Well more than a little....

Gload sucks, and you're insane.

If Hawk is a mouthpiece for management, then apparently they don't think there is a spot for Griffey on this team. If there isn't a spot for Griffey on this team, there damn sure isn't a spot for Ross Gload. Konerko has raised his batting average from .245 to .270 since the All-Star break. That baserunning gaffe the other night was inexcusable, but that aside, his play has been one of the few positives offensively as of late. You want to replace him with Gload? Get a clue.

If we call Gload up, he'll be the second-worst player on the team behind Timo Perez. I'm sick of the FORG. He is not the answer. :angry:

balke
08-17-2005, 03:18 PM
If we call Gload up, he'll be the second-worst player on the team behind Timo Perez.

Don't forget about Blum.

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Gload sucks, and you're insane.

If Hawk is a mouthpiece for management, then apparently they don't think there is a spot for Griffey on this team. If there isn't a spot for Griffey on this team, there damn sure isn't a spot for Ross Gload. Konerko has raised his batting average from .245 to .270 since the All-Star break. That baserunning gaffe the other night was inexcusable, but that aside, his play has been one of the few positives offensively as of late. You want to replace him with Gload? Get a clue.

If we call Gload up, he'll be the second-worst player on the team behind Timo Perez. I'm sick of the FORG. He is not the answer. :angry:

The lack of a spot is Hawk's (read management's) rationalization to placate the fans' disappointment at the deal not coming off after all the stories.

JB98
08-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Don't forget about Blum.

I don't think we've seen enough of Blum yet to really judge him. It seems like he's pretty good with the glove, but his bat is nothing to write home about. He has picked up a couple hits in this Minnesota series, which is more than I can say for a few others.

As for Gload, we know he hits the ball well during spring training and meaningless games during September. That and 60 cents will get you a can of Coke. It's the old "back-up quarterback" syndrome. People see a guy play well in mop-up situations, and they assume he would perform equally well in pressure situations. Doesn't happen.

TaylorStSox
08-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm not really worried. When I looked at the August schedule, I thought we'd play .500 ball, or a little better.

I was relieved that the D looked unreal again last night. The only semi bad play I remember is in the 1st. Perez took a bad route to a ball and let Stewart get a double that should have been challenged.

Anderson has tremendous range. At times, his swing looked like LTP's, but longer. He did something that LTP was unable to do, make an adjustment with 2 strikes and slap the ball the other way.

The double play that wasn't, hurt. Adkins made a nice throw to 2nd but a ton of bad throws to the plate. :redneck

I'm always amazed at the "brilliance" of White Sox fans. I heard some good ones last night. "Is Anderson any good?" The know it all behind me says, "He's a contact hitter. He hit about .345 in AAA." I had to turn and laugh. Another one was that Ozzie is Garcia's "father." BTW, if you live in the south suburbs, you're not from the south side. Then, they were talking about the Griffey trade. Apparently, we'd be giving up a "power hitting 1st baseman" (obviously Rogo, whose a contact hitter) and "some OF that's not that good."

Jenks has a ton of heart. I was surprised to see him hitting 98 in his 3rd inning of work.

In my ongoing defense of Uribe and Crede, Radke's the type of of pitcher that's going to take their lunch money. Both of them failed in key situations but Crede hit the ball hard on both of his extra inning oppurtunities.

shoota
08-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Here's a quote from Brian Anderson, after getting his first career MLB hit:

The first hit was a load off my shoulders. If I had gone 0-for-7, it would have hurt a little bit.

:crede
What's wrong with going 0-for-7?

DaleJRFan
08-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Here's a quote from Brian Anderson, after getting his first hit of his MLB career:

What's wrong with going 0-for-7?

:roflmao:

BA's other 5 at-bats were Crede-ish... but that catch in left was unbelievable.

maurice
08-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Crede hit the ball hard on both of his extra inning opportunities.

Not if you count his 3-pitch K in the 16th.

I (obviously) echo your comments on Anderson, and also on Jenks.

TaylorStSox
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Not if you count his 3-pitch K in the 16th.

I (obviously) echo your comments on Anderson, and also on Jenks.

I should have been more clear. "Oppurtunities" = hitting with runners on base.

rmusacch
08-17-2005, 04:18 PM
The idea is to have a balance between pitching, hitting, and defense.

You don't say.

maurice
08-17-2005, 04:21 PM
I should have been more clear. "Oppurtunities" = hitting with runners on base.

Got it.

Baby Fisk
08-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Here's a quote from Brian Anderson, after getting his first career MLB hit:

What's wrong with going 0-for-7?Despite your scary obsession with Crede, this was damn funny. :cool:

balke
08-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't think we've seen enough of Blum yet to really judge him. It seems like he's pretty good with the glove, but his bat is nothing to write home about. He has picked up a couple hits in this Minnesota series, which is more than I can say for a few others.

As for Gload, we know he hits the ball well during spring training and meaningless games during September. That and 60 cents will get you a can of Coke. It's the old "back-up quarterback" syndrome. People see a guy play well in mop-up situations, and they assume he would perform equally well in pressure situations. Doesn't happen.

meh, though I'm over my Gload as a late late late bloomer theory, I still think he showed great stuff last season when our stars went down (which was more like half a season). He's the worst outfielder in the league maybe, but he played a great 1B.

Blum doesn't have great #'s from the past at all either. I think last night was the only time I've ever seen him get a hit that didn't look lucky. I also think he has overrated defensive skills at every position so far. Hopefully I eat my words on him, but I expect 0-4 every time he starts a game.

Taliesinrk
08-17-2005, 06:20 PM
meh, though I'm over my Gload as a late late late bloomer theory, I still think he showed great stuff last season when our stars went down (which was more like half a season). He's the worst outfielder in the league maybe, but he played a great 1B.

Blum doesn't have great #'s from the past at all either. I think last night was the only time I've ever seen him get a hit that didn't look lucky. I also think he has overrated defensive skills at every position so far. Hopefully I eat my words on him, but I expect 0-4 every time he starts a game.

Taking away a couple lines in that quote, and I'm quite certain you could have been describing Willie Harris in a previous game this season..