PDA

View Full Version : Minorleaguebaseball.com's top 50 prospects.

ChiSoxRowand
08-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Link. (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/news/top50/index.jsp?content=4) They just came out with a newly updated list. Sweeney is a little high at #20 and Anderson is not even on there. They have McCarthy where they should at #35. I don't know how you can put Sweeney ahead of Anderson.

rdivaldi
08-17-2005, 08:56 AM
I don't know how you can put Sweeney ahead of Anderson.

Because Sweeney is a better talent. While he hasn't put up the numbers, Ryan's ceiling is sky high.

California Sox
08-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Because Sweeney is a better talent. While he hasn't put up the numbers, Ryan's ceiling is sky high.

You're on the record as not being a huge fan of Anderson, and you've seen him more than I have, so I'll defer. My question is who's got a higher ceiling in your opinion, Sweeney or Young?

Chisoxfn
08-17-2005, 11:24 AM
You're on the record as not being a huge fan of Anderson, and you've seen him more than I have, so I'll defer. My question is who's got a higher ceiling in your opinion, Sweeney or Young?
Not even close...Chris Young.

Randar68
08-17-2005, 12:36 PM

Sweeney could be a .320 hitter with 25 HR's and a pretty good OBP.

Young could be a .280 hitting CF'er with 40+ HR power and an OBP approaching .400, while stealing 30 bags.

Again, Sweeney is the surer bet, although it's always risky to assume either of:
1) Hitter learns to hit for higher average (Young)
2) Player will develop power as he ages/matures (Sweeney)

I think both of those are coin flips at this point. I like Sweeney's chances of becoming a 25 HR hitter better than I like Young's chances of hitting over .300.

rdivaldi
08-17-2005, 05:09 PM

Young has a higher ceiling IMO. However, I'll agree with Randar and say that Sweeney is a surer bet to reach his ceiling.

Young's raw abilities are amazing (and they're getting less raw all the time). There's almost nothing he can't do. Most question his arm strength, but I don't think it's much worse than average. But because of that, he's not our RF of the future. He's much better suited in center or left.

Hagan
08-19-2005, 11:59 PM
The best minor league ranking I found was at www.warmoctobernights.com