PDA

View Full Version : Players placed on waivers.

It's Time
08-16-2005, 09:20 PM
These were some of the star players that were claimed but were withdrawn. This kind of tells you how the process works.

Mark Teixeira, Jeff Francoeur, Vernon Wells, Ryan Howard, Khalil Greene, Vladimir Guerrero, Ervin Santana, Ben Sheets, Jose Reyes, David Wright, Mark Prior, Carlos Zambrano, Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, C.C. Sabathia, Cliff Lee and Roger Clemens.

Here are some other star players that cleared waivers.

Hank Blalock, Ken Griffey, Michael Young, Russ Adams, Aaron Hill, Brandon Webb, Tim Hudson, Andruw and Chipper Jones, Matt Clement, Johnny Damon, Curt Schilling, Jason Varitek, David Wells, Bobby Abreu, Chase Utley, Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, Francisco Rodriguez, Scot Shields, Rickie Weeks, Carlos Beltran, Pedro Martinez, Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia and Scott Podsednik.

And here are some more players that cleared but were pulled back.

Rodrigo Lopez, Glendon Rusch, Orlando Hernandez, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, Andy Pettitte, Doug Davis, Kyle Lohse, Vicente Padilla Brett Tomko, Jamie Moyer, Gil Meche, Josh Towers and Jeff Suppan. Tony Clark, Conor Jackson, Wilson Betemit, Jay Gibbons, Bill Mueller, Kevin Youkilis, Corey Patterson, Rob Mackowiak, Dunn, Kearns, Jeff DaVanon, Russell Branyan, Kaz Matsui, Kenny Lofton, Shea Hillenbrand, Jose Valverde, Jorge Sosa, Jorge Julio, B.J. Ryan, Mike Myers, Cliff Politte, Damaso Marte, Kent Mercker, David Weathers, Sunny Kim, Ron Villone, Dan Wheeler, Jeremy Affeldt, Mike MacDougal, Brendan Donnelly, Yhency Brazoban, Chris Hammond, Akinori Otsuka, John Grabow, Matt Wise, J.C. Romero, Ryan Madson, Billy Wagner, Ugueth Urbina, Brian Shouse, Miguel Batista, Eddie Guardado, Julio Mateo and J.J. Putz. Olmedo Saenz, Neifi Perez, Ryan Freel, Lenny Harris, Chris Woodward, Marlon Anderson, Mark Sweeney and Pete Orr.

HotelWhiteSox
08-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Hmm, I guess for some of the players that cleared (like ours), the teams knew there was no chance/that they'd be pulled back so didn't even put in a claim.

Also, what is the difference between 'withdrawn' and 'pulled back'?

It's Time
08-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Withdrawn and pulled back are the same thing. It means that some other team DID put in a claim in for those players.

Brian26
08-16-2005, 10:58 PM
What would the purpose of putting Buehrle and Garland on waivers be? We already know there's a huge interest in both guys, but I can't imagine we would trade either one. I don't get that at all.

Chips
08-17-2005, 01:29 AM
How do teams know when a player is placed on waivers?

It's Time
08-17-2005, 11:35 AM

I believe there is a daily list provided to teams.

StillMissOzzie
08-17-2005, 12:00 PM
What would the purpose of putting Buehrle and Garland on waivers be? We already know there's a huge interest in both guys, but I can't imagine we would trade either one. I don't get that at all.

Maybe as a smokescreen to hide the player(s) that really ARE available. I have read before that some teams put virtually the entire roster on waivers, so nobody can tell who's really in play.

SMO
:gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
For example, if Hank Blalock (All-Star power-hitting LHB 3B) was placed on waivers, why didn't Kenny just go ahead and claim him? Similarly, how do Jon Garland and Mak Buehrle "clear" waivers without someone putting in a claim? Is there some sort of gentleman's agreement that GMs don't claim players who other teams obviously put on waivers as a smokescreen? Do GMs just see putting in claims on players like that as a waste of time?

HotelWhiteSox
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
For example, if Hank Blalock (All-Star power-hitting LHB 3B) was placed on waivers, why didn't Kenny just go ahead and claim him? Similarly, how do Jon Garland and Mak Buehrle "clear" waivers without someone putting in a claim? Is there some sort of gentleman's agreement that GMs don't claim players who other teams obviously put on waivers as a smokescreen? Do GMs just see putting in claims on players like that as a waste of time?

Because there's no chance that the Texas GM will not pull him back. I guess it's to see the interest in case of a trade down the road.

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Because there's no chance that the Texas GM will not pull him back. I guess it's to see the interest in case of a trade down the road.

Well, a few years ago Jerry Angelo's failure to check a box on a form ended up causing a Bears starting linebacker to leave via free agency (I don't remember the specific details, and yes, I know it's a different sport). So, I would think (foolishly, I guess) that a GM would just go ahead and claim young, productive, cheap players like Blalock, Buehrle or Garland, hoping that the opposing GM would "forget" to "check a box," or whatever the actual mechanism is, to pull them back from waivers by a deadline. I mean, really, what do you have to lose? Five minutes to fax a form?

It's Time
08-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I was able to dig up an old Jason Stark article on the process. Hope this helps some.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1860265

skottyj242
08-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Just wondering where are these "lists" from? Where are you getting this information?

Tekijawa
08-17-2005, 02:17 PM

From Peter Gammons and Bruce Levine

BRDSR
08-17-2005, 06:27 PM
I was able to dig up an old Jason Stark article on the process. Hope this helps some.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1860265

Thanks, that was helpful

buehrle4cy05
08-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Well, a few years ago Jerry Angelo's failure to check a box on a form ended up causing a Bears starting linebacker to leave via free agency (I don't remember the specific details, and yes, I know it's a different sport). So, I would think (foolishly, I guess) that a GM would just go ahead and claim young, productive, cheap players like Blalock, Buehrle or Garland, hoping that the opposing GM would "forget" to "check a box," or whatever the actual mechanism is, to pull them back from waivers by a deadline. I mean, really, what do you have to lose? Five minutes to fax a form?

Yeah, but most baseball GM's aren't idiots.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Where was the source of this above mentioned list of players including our top 3 pitchers?

SpammySosa
08-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Yeah, but most baseball GM's aren't idiots.

And the ones that are get jobs at ESPN.:cool: