PDA

View Full Version : What's with Jon Miller's pronunciations?

veeter
08-16-2005, 02:43 PM
I kind of like Miller EXCEPT when he pronounces some latin names. It's easier to describe it phonetically. I can't stand PEARez instead of puhREZ. The one that really grates on my nerves is belTRAN instead of BELtran. I just think this is a blatent attempt to be different. But I think it sounds forced or phoney.

JUribe1989
08-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Juan OOreebay. I love how he does that. He pronounces them the way they are said in their native countries. It's great IMO.

MRKARNO
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
I just think this is a blatent attempt to be different. But I think it sounds forced or phoney.

He's pronouncing the names properly as one would in Spanish.

Baby Fisk
08-16-2005, 03:07 PM
:morgan
"If by your not-so-subtle comments you are implying that my pronounciation is flawed, well how dare you sir! My pronounciation is exemplary! In fact, not only did I invent baseball, but I also discovered several Latin American countries and named them myself."

Saracen
08-16-2005, 03:38 PM
That's the way Perez & Beltran are really pronounced.

veeter
08-16-2005, 03:41 PM
So, he's right any every single other person is wrong? Have we Americanized the latin names?

nitetrain8601
08-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Juan OOreebay. I love how he does that. He pronounces them the way they are said in their native countries. It's great IMO.

I think that's the only one he does wrong. That or my parents do it wrong. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Juan U(as in ooh, rhymes with goo)ribe.

I applaud him for pronouncing them correctly or at least making a valid attempt at doing so.

TornLabrum
08-16-2005, 03:56 PM
I think that's the only one he does wrong. That or my parents do it wrong. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Juan U(as in ooh, rhymes with goo)ribe.

I applaud him for pronouncing them correctly or at least making a valid attempt at doing so.

Ozzie pronounces it oo-REE-bay. Take that for what it's worth.

nitetrain8601
08-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Ozzie pronounces it oo-REE-bay. Take that for what it's worth.

joo rii mang'

MRKARNO
08-16-2005, 04:08 PM
So, he's right any every single other person is wrong? Have we Americanized the latin names?

Yes. Except I dont think "every single other person" pronounces Latin names improperly. I'd bet most Latinos probably are pronouncing them properly.

Stroker Ace
08-16-2005, 04:44 PM
I think that Miller's pronounciations are annoying.

veeter
08-16-2005, 04:47 PM
I think that Miller's pronounciations are annoying.Exactly my friend.

davenicholson
08-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Yes. Except I dont think "every single other person" pronounces Latin names improperly. I'd bet most Latinos probably are pronouncing them properly.
Don't want to get on a rant here, but if everyone in this melting pot of a country insisted that their last name be pronounced the way it would be in its country of origin, we'd never get past the introductions! For example, people have enough trouble with the Americanized version of my real last name; I can't imagine insisting that it be pronounced in its original Polish! :D:

Kevin
08-16-2005, 05:00 PM
My uncle used to tell me about how when Miller was with the O's, he would periodically call the games in fluent Spanish. There's your root...

fquaye149
08-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Don't want to get on a rant here, but if everyone in this melting pot of a country insisted that their last name be pronounced the way it would be in its country of origin, we'd never get past the introductions! For example, people have enough trouble with the Americanized version of my real last name; I can't imagine insisting that it be pronounced in its original Polish! :D:

And yet, it doesn't make it wrong for Miller to pronounce them the way they should be pronounced.

No one gets upset at the (correct) pronunciation of Patrick Roy's name.

sthbndsox
08-16-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm fine with the way he pronounces most of the names, but I just cant stand hearing him say Chwenty and Chwelve the whole game.

veeter
08-16-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm fine with the way he pronounces most of the names, but I just cant stand hearing him say Chwenty and Chwelve the whole game. That makes me laugh. You're right he does do that.

veeter
08-16-2005, 05:27 PM
And yet, it doesn't make it wrong for Miller to pronounce them the way they should be pronounced.

No one gets upset at the (correct) pronunciation of Patrick Roy's name. You're right but my point is EVERBODY pronounces Roy's mane that way. Not just one guy.

Corlose 15
08-16-2005, 05:37 PM
You're right but my point is EVERBODY pronounces Roy's mane that way. Not just one guy.

So lemme get this straight, you are upset at him because he pronounces names correctly?:?:

Ooribe, PEARez, and BelTRAHN are correct. If you wanted to get really technical you'd make the Z sound like an S in Perez.

It always pisses me off when people say con"kwist"adors or something like that or some blowhard radio guy can't pronounce a spanish name correctly.

chitownhawkfan
08-16-2005, 05:52 PM

Couldnt have said it better, my last name is Girard and people pronounce it Jirard or Girard however they see it, I dont make them say zhirarhd because it has been anglicized now that I live in the US. It is one of many reasons that I mute sunday night baseball when the Sox play.

veeter
08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
I just find the pronunciations annoying. Now that I know they're correct it kind of changes my mind.

maurice
08-16-2005, 06:00 PM
There's a big difference between Spanish and, say, Polish. Aside from rolling the "R," there's nothing about Uribe's name that a native English speaker could not easily pronounce. There's no need to Anglicize it. Oo, ree, and bay are all common English phonemes.

The same is true of most Japanese players. Nobody has a problem pronouncing Iguchi or Ichiro correctly (roughly).

maurice
08-16-2005, 06:04 PM
No one gets upset at the (correct) pronunciation of Patrick Roy's name.

I wish they'd Anglicize Miroslav Satan's name. :redneck

D. TODD
08-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Put me in the column of liking the proper pronunciations.

popilius
08-17-2005, 01:28 AM

This is true. The accents are in the right place in Spanish. In Spanish, it really is PE-rez.

:gulp:

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 03:27 AM

Carl Yastrzemski never complained about his name being mispronounced by everybody.

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 03:30 AM
So lemme get this straight, you are upset at him because he pronounces names correctly?:?:

Ooribe, PEARez, and BelTRAHN are correct. If you wanted to get really technical you'd make the Z sound like an S in Perez.

It always pisses me off when people say con"kwist"adors or something like that or some blowhard radio guy can't pronounce a spanish name correctly.

I don't have any Spanish ancestry, but I get POed when I hear Spanish names being grossly misprounounced by media types. Maybe that's because a lot of kids throughout my life have insisted in putting a t in my last name.

C-Dawg
08-17-2005, 06:43 AM

That reminds me! Last year, when Uribe was new to the Sox, everyone on WXRT used to pronounce his name "you-RIBBIE" on a regular basis.

davenicholson
08-17-2005, 12:26 PM
There's a big difference between Spanish and, say, Polish. Aside from rolling the "R," there's nothing about Uribe's name that a native English speaker could not easily pronounce. There's no need to Anglicize it. Oo, ree, and bay are all common English phonemes.

The same is true of most Japanese players. Nobody has a problem pronouncing Iguchi or Ichiro correctly (roughly).
Huh? :?:

Here's an example: Many Americanize General Kosciusko's name as "kos-E-us-ko", whereas the Polish pronunciation is "ka-SHOE-sko". Neither seem to posess any more difficult phonemes than "Oo", "ree" nor "bay".

davenicholson
08-17-2005, 12:34 PM
I wish they'd Anglicize Miroslav Satan's name. :redneck
LMAO!

That reminds me of the hilarious stuff Pat Foley and Dale Tallon used to come up with. Once, the Hawks were playing the Sabres, for who Satan played at the time. Very early on in the game, Tallon pronounced the name in the "biblical" way, and Foley went into a very good Church Lady impression, and stayed with it for pretty much the rest of the game, every time Satan handled the puck. "And SATAN clears the puck. Isn't that special?" I know there are MP3s of this out there somewhere, I'll try to find them.

BeviBall!
08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
I think that Miller's pronounciations are annoying.

Yes. I've been blowing this horn for the past 5 years. Can't stand that guy... he looks like a fatter version of the undertaker from Phantasm. He overpronounces everyone's name... not just our Latin friends.

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2005, 01:43 PM
True story: A girl I went to college with had a neat story about the origins of the pronunciation of her last name. Her father emigrated from Poland in his 20s. When he was being processed through immigration, officials consistently referred to him as "the guy with the long name." That's how "Long" came to be a Polish surname.
:D:

Hal, I would think, as a Sox fan, you might like a properly-placed "t" in your last name!
:bandance:

maurice
08-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Huh? :?:

I didn't say that every Polish name is hard to pronounce but, as somebody who grew up in a largely immigrant / 1st-generation Polish neighborhood, Polish is much more difficult to pronounce and contains many more unusual phonemes than Spanish.

Ancient joke: My husband is Polish. When we got married, he gave me something long and hard. His last name.

TornLabrum
08-17-2005, 02:36 PM
True story: A girl I went to college with had a neat story about the origins of the pronunciation of her last name. Her father emigrated from Poland in his 20s. When he was being processed through immigration, officials consistently referred to him as "the guy with the long name." That's how "Long" came to be a Polish surname.
:D:

Hal, I would think, as a Sox fan, you might like a properly-placed "t" in your last name!
:bandance:

Well, it's not like Vickery is hard to pronounce! In the other hand it apparently is hard to spell. I've seen my ancestors' names spelled as follows in census and other information: Vicory, Vickory, Vicary. Makes it fun trying to search for them.