PDA

View Full Version : We're DOOMED!!

FoulkeFan
08-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Now I'm worried. Neyer says the Sox have a good shot!

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=neyer_rob&id=2135036

"The Chicago Americans wrapped up their division title in the spring, so at this point the only real question is, how good are they, really? Yes, the White Sox are 26-14 in one-run games. They've been lucky. But even if we give them a .500 record in one-run games, they'd still be tied with the Red Sox for the best record in the league. To me, it's simple: If Jon Garland (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6396) pitches well in October, the White Sox have a real shot at finally winning another World Series (it's been 87 years now). Their hitters aren't good enough to carry them. "

Baby Fisk
08-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Wow, have the Sox ever been called the Chicago Americans? [paging LipMan]

That's very antiquated.

Flight #24
08-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Now I'm worried. Neyer says the Sox have a good shot!

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=neyer_rob&id=2135036

"The Chicago Americans wrapped up their division title in the spring, so at this point the only real question is, how good are they, really? Yes, the White Sox are 26-14 in one-run games. They've been lucky. But even if we give them a .500 record in one-run games, they'd still be tied with the Red Sox for the best record in the league. To me, it's simple: If Jon Garland (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6396) pitches well in October, the White Sox have a real shot at finally winning another World Series (it's been 87 years now). Their hitters aren't good enough to carry them. "

That's an interesting note on the record even if we were .500 in 1-run games. And given that his "1-run game wins = luck" is tripe that even ubergeek Bill James doesn't subscribe to, it just shows that the Sox are the best team in baseball any way you slice it.

Fenway
08-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Wow, have the Sox ever been called the Chicago Americans? [paging LipMan]

That's very antiquated.

I know the Red Sox were as late as 1934
http://prescott.imbri.com/bpmagic/BosFenway/fenwayparkcom_red1_1934program_small.jpg

I never heard the term for the White Sox however

Baby Fisk
08-16-2005, 11:15 AM
That's an interesting note on the record even if we were .500 in 1-run games. And given that his "1-run game wins = luck" is tripe that even ubergeek Bill James doesn't subscribe to, it just shows that the Sox are the best team in baseball any way you slice it.
Yankees 1-run wins = aura and winning tradition
Cubs 1-run wins = imminent world championship
Sox 1-run wins = luck

:rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
08-16-2005, 11:18 AM
I know the Red Sox were as late as 1934
http://prescott.imbri.com/bpmagic/BosFenway/fenwayparkcom_red1_1934program_small.jpg

I never heard the term for the White Sox however
um... thanks... but I still hate you... :redface:

Lip Man 1
08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
I have seen stories referring to the Chicago Americans but generally those were from the 40's and 50's and used in conncection with the All Star game, (i.e. Billy Pierce of the Chicago Americans got the start...)

Lip

RallyBowl
08-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Sox 1-run wins = luck

Great observation.

kingpin_rcs
08-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Wasn't the Negro team that played in Comiskey called the Chicago Americans or was is Chicago American Giants? Or am I way off?

TornLabrum
08-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Wasn't the Negro team that played in Comiskey called the Chicago Americans or was is Chicago American Giants? Or am I way off?

The Chicago American Giants.

Sad
08-16-2005, 12:16 PM

was thinking the same thing... thought they handed out hats a couple years back w/ CA on them or something like that...

DumpJerry
08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Sox 1-run wins = luck

Along the same lines:
Yankee World Series title: the best lineup $$$$ can buy.
Cubs World Series title: well, let's not get carried away, time for reality check....
White Sox World Series title::supernana: the definition of "Justice."

Falstaff
08-16-2005, 03:19 PM
its the little things that done correctly accumulate to win by 1 run
more often than not. I tend to think it gets down to what little inspirations AJ
whispers in the Jose's ear when he trots on out there... (think the
Blankees series Jose, of course) Hey, if you ALWAYS back each other up
it will keep you ahead, sometimes by just one run. Thats all it takes. Some say baseball is a game of inches. When it comes to the score though, its a game
of integers! Read it and weep youi know nothing media glamour pups.
NOT LUCK AT ALL- FUNDAMENTALS AND LITTLE THINGS

downstairs
08-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Sox 1-run wins = luck

Well, there is no two ways about it... it IS luck. But the writer was smart enough to caveat that with the fact that even without the luck, we're still the best in the AL in terms of record.

rowand33
08-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Sox 1-run wins = luck

you're totally taking that the wrong way.

he means that somebody saying that our record in one run games means we're lucky and not good is incorrect because even if you took taht away we'd still be the best team in the AL.

Mohoney
08-16-2005, 07:32 PM
The demeaning "lucky in 1 run games" crap is just jealousy. BSPN is just miffed that Dustin Hermanson has more saves and less blown saves than Keith Foulke. At some point, the media will HAVE to recognize the great season that Hermanson has had and stop waiting for the bottom to drop out on him.

Maybe it's just me, but 30 for 31 in save opportunities is more than just luck.

It's Time
08-16-2005, 07:42 PM
I love when people say teams are "lucky" and that's the reason they win. EVERY TEAM IN BASEBALL needs the element of luck to win it all, that's a fact. You obviously have to have a talented team to win but luck is a big part of it.

The Red Sox had luck last year. The Marlins had luck in 2003, as did the Angels in 2002. They were all talented but also has some nice breaks along the way.

There is not ONE team in baseball that has won it all that didn't have luck on their side, not one.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2005, 12:09 AM
I guess the Sox haven't had luck then since 1917. That's a long time to be without luck don't ya think?

Lip