PDA

View Full Version : My scalper experience August 15

Dan H
08-16-2005, 09:50 AM
I had two vouchers for upper deck seats for the 4-2 loss against the Twins. I had heard nothing about the game being sold out but I was told that at one of the ticket windows. The woman then said come back later, that something "may open up."

My daughter and I walked down 35th to see who was sellling in the streets. One guy said I could have upper deck seats for $25 each. I said no. Another offered some lower deck seats (I don't know what kind) for $50 each. I didn't even consider it.

I went back to the ticket window and got two left field seats for an additional $6 each with the vouchers. Beat being ripped off by scalpers.

The fact that Sox tickets are being sold in the street is a great sign. Tickets are in demand, which was reflected in the crowd of over 39,000 that night. And I don't mind buying off a scalper if the need is there. However, I am not going to make this guys rich, and I'll go home first before spending $25 on a $7 ticket.

Does anyone have any insight how something "opens up" regarding tickets?How can it be that tickets are not available at 5:45 pm and then are available 30 minutes later?

zach23
08-16-2005, 10:28 AM
I think sometimes people buy online with a credit card and it turns out the card is maxed or denied for some reason. The sale is then cancelled and the tickets go back into the system.

Tekijawa
08-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Sometimes players and even season ticket holders release their tickets, I believe that those are finalized around game time.

BeviBall!
08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Wives seats!

Stroker Ace
08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
The fact that Sox tickets are being sold in the street is a great sign. Tickets are in demand, which was reflected in the crowd of over 39,000 that night. Yeah, it's not like me buying $15 Brewers tickets for $7 in the parking lot because the tickets aren't in demand.

Fenway
08-16-2005, 11:54 AM
just beware of some of the guys at the CTA station selling tickets for face or less.

You may find out the ticket has already be scanned into the system and runners bring the tickets back out on the street again

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Sometimes players and even season ticket holders release their tickets, I believe that those are finalized around game time.This is at least the 3rd or 4th time I've heard this fallacy. Season ticket holders cannot "release" their tickets.

Jerko
08-16-2005, 12:48 PM
This is at least the 3rd or 4th time I've heard this fallacy. Season ticket holders cannot "release" their tickets.

ST holders can trade their tickets in. Why would they "release" them? :?:

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2005, 12:54 PM
ST holders can trade their tickets in. Why would they "release" them? :?:They can only trade their tickets in AFTER the game has been played. And you can do so only for certain games and you don't get equivalent seats in return. There is no provision to "release" tickets.

DumpJerry
08-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Players turn in tickets they did not use. These tickets are generally available 45 minutes or so before gametime. In years past, I've walked up to the box office and there was sign stating "500 Level only" and ask for 100 Level. The person looks at their computer and said "nope." They then look again and up pops tickets in 131!

It's a risky maneuver, but if you're looking for only 1 or 2 tickets, it might pay off.

BTW, when, oh when, will the police arrest the jerks outside the train station? They give us a bad name.

Palehose13
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
On a related note...I have two tickets (lower box) and a parking pass for tomorrow night's game. PM me if interested. We can discuss how to get the tickets to you. I am definitely NOT using them and since it is supposed to be a big crowd, I'd like it if someone could use them.

Sargeant79
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Players turn in tickets they did not use. These tickets are generally available 45 minutes or so before gametime. In years past, I've walked up to the box office and there was sign stating "500 Level only" and ask for 100 Level. The person looks at their computer and said "nope." They then look again and up pops tickets in 131!

I got tickets last night in Section 131, Row 22 at 6:10 p.m.

Dan H
08-16-2005, 02:07 PM
just beware of some of the guys at the CTA station selling tickets for face or less.

You may find out the ticket has already be scanned into the system and runners bring the tickets back out on the street again

I am glad you let me know about this. Anyone hear about the normal guys selling by the underpass? Any scams there?

kittle42
08-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I am glad you let me know about this. Anyone hear about the normal guys selling by the underpass? Any scams there?

The "normal guys?"

I have gotten scammed by the guys by the L before, as well. Bought a pair and when they scanned them, they said they were stolen. I would say don't buy any tickets from them that look like season tickets, at least.

DumpJerry
08-16-2005, 02:31 PM
The "normal guys?"

I have gotten scammed by the guys by the L before, as well. Bought a pair and when they scanned them, they said they were stolen. I would say don't buy any tickets from them that look like season tickets, at least.
I've only bought from a scalper once. He was near the box office and said he had two tickets he did not need and we would be sitting with he and his girlfriend. He offered $20 tickets for $10 a hour before the game started and it was not a sold out game and was low pressure for a sale, so he seemed legit. He was. It was a great game. This was last year when you could be a walk-up most of the time.

Normally, I would discourage buying from scalpers.

C-Dawg
08-16-2005, 07:10 PM
The only game I ever sat in the 300 level, I sat next to a guy and his kid who bought their tickets from some guy on the street for something like half price. This was a few years ago but it was still a big savings. But ordinarily I would avoid the dealers on the street since its too risky.

What I find amusing is how you see buyers AND sellers right next to each other on the 35th St. bridge. When there's a guy looking to buy tickets, I just want to point over at the guy selling tickets, and say, "Look, he's got some to sell! Try him!". But of course they are probably both in on the same scam.