PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Decision

Lip Man 1
08-16-2005, 02:42 AM
I'm curious what other think is the best approach to this. I don't think there is an absolute 'correct' answer but that's why Kenny and Ozzie get paid the big bucks I guess. They will be the ones to sort this out.

Ozzie has been quoted as saying that he 'wants to win the division as soon as possible and give the players a rest.' But can he afford to do that? I'm not referring to questions about a team clinching early vs. a team fighting for a playoff spot down to the end and their performance in October.

The Central Division barring an incredible melt-down is done. It's not a question of 'if' the Sox clinch it, but 'when.'

My question revolves around home field advantage. Boston I think, is five off the Sox pace with roughly 40 games to go. I'm not sure how far back the Angels/A's are. If you were manager would you do what Ozzie has been quoted as saying? How important is home field advantage in a short series? How much of a factor is the Sox sterling road record in all this...perhaps having 'home field' doesn't matter to a team with their ability to win on the road. Conversly how important is it to host a potential game #5 in the first round or a game #7 in the second round?

As for me, I think I'd have to keep playing hard with the top lineup, until the Sox either clinched the home field or were eliminated from that possibility. I still think it's important to have the last game at home regardless of how good the Sox have played on the road all season. If nothing else the home team gets the final at bat.

Like I said I'm sure there isn't one 'absolute truth' here. I'm curious how others would play this.

Lip

TheOldRoman
08-16-2005, 03:02 AM
We all thought Ozzie was crazy several times this year after seeing the lineups. The thing is - no matter who Ozzie puts out there, we just win. We may look to be at a huge disadvantage on any given day, but this team wins no matter who is playing. Look at Sunday; with Timo, Widger, and Blum in the lineup, the Sox put 5 on the board through 3 1/3 against a very good Matt Clement.

I fully trust that we will win over half of our games after we clinch the division. We have looked horrible lately, but it's the dog days, and we will snap out of it. Our record has little to do with our hitting and lots to do with our pitching. Ozzie might go to a six man totation, but he won't rest any starting pitchers for an extended period of time. I don't think we will lose the homefield because Ozzie plays youngsters.

StockdaleForVeep
08-16-2005, 03:06 AM
Sox have been known to have a clutch hitting bench all season

Benchin our hitters a few days wont kill us, main worry should be resting the starters

captain54
08-16-2005, 04:13 AM
83', 93' and 00' the Sox had home field advantage in the playoffs and came up empty.....I'm pretty sure Ozzie has a pretty good handle on what it's going to take to advance in the playoffs, and I'm also pretty sure he's not too concerned about home field advantage, and realizes the stellar road record....

the Sox play an awful lot of games against the Central from here on out.....I think it's just Texas, Yankees and the Angels as the only series outside the division...

the worst case scenario is for the Sox to continue to struggle and come down to September with a single digit lead......there on out, anything can happen...especially if anyone of the teams in the Central gets hot....

right now, they are not even remotely close to the April/May/June/early July Sox....a healthy Pods/Everett is critical.....the best case scenario would be for everyone to be healthy and producing by mid September so they can go into the playoffs with some momentum...

CPditka
08-16-2005, 08:25 AM
We need to have home field advantage, especially if we have to play a west coast team, ie A's Angels. Resting yes, but not letting the AL slip away from us.

Madvora
08-16-2005, 08:39 AM
How important is home field advantage in a short series?
Even if Boston finished with a better record than us, we'd still probably finish with the second best. Therefore, we would still have home field advantage in a short series (the first round), just not in the next round if we met up with Boston.
With the way we play on the road, who cares. We still have an entire month and a half to go anyway, they'll pick it back up again. The good thing is that our "slumps" don't last for prolonged periods. With 3 losses in a row, logic says that's enough for us. It's time for another 8 game winning streak.

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Even if Boston finished with a better record than us, we'd still probably finish with the second best. Therefore, we would still have home field advantage in a short series (the first round), just not in the next round if we met up with Boston.
With the way we play on the road, who cares. We still have an entire month and a half to go anyway, they'll pick it back up again. The good thing is that our "slumps" don't last for prolonged periods. With 3 losses in a row, logic says that's enough for us. It's time for another 8 game winning streak.

The team I'd want home field advantage on over any other team would be Boston BECAUSE of their outstanding play at Fenway. They have the best home record in baseball. The Sox won a couple games at both left coast ballparks, so they've shown they CAN get it done there. There's no reason they wouldn't in the postseason as well.

daveeym
08-16-2005, 10:11 AM
This is a very tough question because it's all team dependant. If I'm Boston, I want home field advantage, because they're not the best team out there but the best offense and Fenway plays to that.

However as the Sox go they are all about solid defense, pitching, and speed. I'd rather see them healthy and rested than tired with home field advantage. The Sox two biggest "slumps" this year have been when they're banged up.

1951Campbell
08-16-2005, 10:15 AM
This team is a world-beater on the road, so I'd say have everyone rested instead of pushing for home field.

bumptious96
08-16-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree with having them rested, but after they clinch you can't just bench most of the starters and expect them to turn it on once playoff time comes. It doesn't work that way. I like the way Ozzie is giving most of the guys consistent rest. In September they will get alot more b/c of having so many games in a row (if think 20?). But I don't think they'll need a ton of rest b/c they've been getting a consistent day off except for a few guys (Konerko, Rowand).

Dan H
08-16-2005, 10:59 AM
I agree with having them rested, but after they clinch you can't just bench most of the starters and expect them to turn it on once playoff time comes. It doesn't work that way. I like the way Ozzie is giving most of the guys consistent rest. In September they will get alot more b/c of having so many games in a row (if think 20?). But I don't think they'll need a ton of rest b/c they've been getting a consistent day off except for a few guys (Konerko, Rowand).

I agree with this. You don't keep players sharp by resting them too much in September. You can afford to sit players with nagging injuries or give some front line players a day off here and there. But Gullien had already rested many players, and I still want to see the "A" team out there once the division is clinched. You still have to use your roster wisely. Just resting a player for the sake of rest is not good.

IowaSox1971
08-17-2005, 03:17 AM
We have not won this division yet, so this talk is premature. I would not be surprised if Cleveland and/or Minnesota put at least a big scare into us. If we're not careful, this lead could be down to five or six games by Sept. 1.

Malgar 12
08-17-2005, 08:28 AM
We need to have home field advantage, especially if we have to play a west coast team, ie A's Angels. Resting yes, but not letting the AL slip away from us.

We need to win the division, with the way we're playing, that's my only concern.

MRKARNO
08-17-2005, 08:32 AM
I agree with this. You don't keep players sharp by resting them too much in September. You can afford to sit players with nagging injuries or give some front line players a day off here and there. But Gullien had already rested many players, and I still want to see the "A" team out there once the division is clinched. You still have to use your roster wisely. Just resting a player for the sake of rest is not good.

This is my average September lineup prediction, and the sad part is that I'm only half-kidding:

Timo LF
Pedro Lopez SS
Everett DH
Konerko 1B
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Ozuna 3B
Borchard RF
Harris 2B

DumpJerry
08-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Carlton Fisk recently said the big problem the 1983 team has was that the starters were rested in September and they fell out of synch for the playoffs. Fisk said the best time to rest the starters, if a team can do it, is August. Pods will be off the DL soon and will be (hopefully) healthy and ready. Let's make September our best month of the season before October!

ChicagoHoosier
08-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Carlton Fisk recently said the big problem the 1983 team has was that the starters were rested in September and they fell out of synch for the playoffs. Fisk said the best time to rest the starters, if a team can do it, is August. Pods will be off the DL soon and will be (hopefully) healthy and ready. Let's make September our best month of the season before October!
This is what I keep telling myself as well. I'm HOPING that this "slump" we're going thru is just a combination of the dog-days of August (losing focus on D, baserunning errors, etc) and us resting some key players like Pods on the DL and other guys getting nights off. I'm glad this comment was posted because I have felt all along that we don't want to be sluggish going into October and hopefully a playoff series, so let's get our team firing on all cylinders starting in mid-September and have a few weeks to make any final adjustments.