PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Dark Cloud Love Fest Post-Game Thread

NSSoxFan
08-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Go get Radke tomorrow.

samram
08-15-2005, 11:24 PM
These are truly the dog days. I really can't say I feel the least bit of anything about the loss and I don't think I would feel differently if the Sox won. Let's just fast forward to September 20th or so.

Parrothead
08-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Cora needs to learn when not to send people. The base running has been awful all year again. When will these guys learn?

Ol' No. 2
I hope we see Anderson in tomorrow's lineup. Come on, Ozzie. What have you got to lose? Can he possibly be worse than Timo Perez?

Fake Chet Lemon
Ozzie blew the game in the 1st. We had Lohse in a pickle. He went full to Uribe, then hit him. He went full to Everett and walked him. He went full to Konerko. He was struggling. You don’t run yourself out of an inning in that situation! Let the pitcher hang himself. You run when the pitcher is dominating you and you are trying to make something happen. When I heard Rooney say the runners were off on the 3-2 pitch to Konerko I thought, “Great a strike out, throw out double play coming up and Ozzie will bail out Lohse, and he’ll probably settle down.” Instead the patented big crowd Konerko pop-up, for a double play so just as bad. Ozzie blew it tonight in the 1st. Lohse is greatful. Get the next two.

soxjim
08-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Stop the sleep walking and kick it up a few notches.:angry:

Ol' No. 2
08-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Ozzie blew the game in the 1st. We had Lohse in a pickle. He went full to Uribe, then hit him. He went full to Everett and walked him. He went full to Konerko. He was struggling. You don’t run yourself out of an inning in that situation! Let the pitcher hang himself. You run when the pitcher is dominating you and you are trying to make something happen. When I heard Rooney say the runners were off on the 3-2 pitch to Konerko I thought, “Great a double play coming up and Ozzie will bail out Lohse, and he’ll probably settle down.” Instead the patented big crowd Konerko pop-up, for a double play so just as bad. Ozzie blew it tonight in the 1st. Lohse is greatful. Get the next two.Umm.....you run to stay OUT of the GIDP. There's always the possibility to get doubled up on a line drive, but you're not supposed to get doubled up on a pop up. That's the baserunners' fault.

Argalarga
08-15-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't get Ozzie's love for Timo. I just don't. Ozzie has to realize that Timo is at best an adequate pinch runner, and at worst an automatic out.

I hate to see us play so listlessly against struggling teams in front of a packed house. Though I didn't mind seeing Konerko trying to turn a single into a double. When you're down by 4 and the offense isn't clicking, you need to take some risks and make things happen.

We just have to get them tomorrow.

BanditJimmy
08-15-2005, 11:38 PM
This was my quote during the game thread.

"I have not read this whole thread yet, but can someone simply answer my question on how does Timo still stick on any ML 25 man roster? Let alone on the 24 man roster for the "best team in baseball?"

He must have pictures of either Kenny or Ozzie having sex with farm animals. I don't see any other team in baseball making room for this piece of garbage."

I still don't know why the media is affraid of asking the question, What does Timo bring to this ball club?

mjmcend
08-15-2005, 11:39 PM
I still don't know why the media is affraid of asking the question, What does Timo bring to this ball club?

Because in order to do that, they would have to pay attention, be responsible journalists, and actually know who Timo Perez was.

fan_since_64
08-15-2005, 11:39 PM
this team overachieved in May-June and is now playting more like the third place team I always thought they were. No bench, tired starters, base-running gaffs, asleep in the field... starting to feel like 2001-2-3-4 again.

It will be one and done in the playoffs

SOX ADDICT '73
08-15-2005, 11:40 PM
August sucks for almost everybody. Teams are banged up or just tired, and it's too early for the dominant teams (Sox, Cards) to clinch, or the teams in tight races to get overly excited about the day-to-day resuts (i.e., wild card contender loses three straight with a month and a half to go, who cares; with a week and a half left, jump off the nearest bridge).

To put a magic number of 34 into perspective, as long as the Sox win 17 more games and the Tribe loses 17 more, it's all good. I have enjoyed the distinction of owning the "best record in baseball", but at this point, I don't even care if we have a better record than the A's/Angels or BoSox/Yanks when it's all said and done. I'd hate for Sox fans to lose out on home playoff games, but it doesn't seem like a homefield advantage exists for the Sox anyway.

NSSoxFan
08-15-2005, 11:42 PM
this team overachieved in May-June and is now playting more like the third place team I always thought they were. No bench, tired starters, base-running gaffs, asleep in the field... starting to feel like 2001-2-3-4 again.

Seriously, ****.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-15-2005, 11:43 PM

Quite a time for your first post since April 25. You forgot the first part of your user name when you typed it, cubs_fan_since_64.

NDSox12
08-15-2005, 11:43 PM

I think you just described this team TONIGHT, not this team in general. Third place team? Give me a break!

Kogs35
08-15-2005, 11:44 PM
blah, thats all i have to say. lets kill radke tomorow. ozzie stop with the b and c lineups and win the central title already!!!!! :angry:

FarWestChicago
08-15-2005, 11:44 PM

It will be one and done in the playoffsGo away, troll. :dtroll:

Ol' No. 2
08-15-2005, 11:46 PM

It will be one and done in the playoffsI didn't know John Kruk was registered here.:dtroll:

ndu3t4
08-15-2005, 11:47 PM

I don't think we can judge this team in the playoffs based on tonite. a HEALTHY Scotty Pods will be starting things off at the leadoff spot with Gooch comin' up in the two hole, and Jose Contreras will be in the left field bullpen. Let's go get 'em tomorrow I'll be there and the last time I was at a game, it was the Oakland sweep before the break.

Some positives about tonite was the bullpen pitching very well with some run manufacturing. I thought Pauli got in there at second, but it's not for me to call. Could have been a different ballgame. But hey, we're 30 some games > .500, it's all good. :cool:

Fake Chet Lemon
08-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Umm.....you run to stay OUT of the GIDP. There's always the possibility to get doubled up on a line drive, but you're not supposed to get doubled up on a pop up. That's the baserunners' fault.

My error, I meant to say "strike out and throw out" double play. Will edit.

HotelWhiteSox
A's announcer on inHD/FSN Bay Area said we won 7-4 tonight :?:

shoota
Bad night for Crede. I would attribute his play to the "dog days" of August, but he plays this bad every month of every year.

Blum started off an inning with a leadoff double. Crede struck out and couldn't advance him to third. I understand that he has no bunting skills, but he has to be able to hit at least a grounder to the right side. (IIRC, Crede's last two bunt attempts were poped up; one to the pitcher against the Cubs for a double play, one to the catcher.)

On a successful steal attempt of third by Punto, Crede was late to the bag to receive the throw from Pierzynski. He was caught napping with his patented head down look over at third. Punto might have been safe even if Crede had been paying attention, but this type of play is not comforting.

Crede's throwing error showed tonight what I have been saying for a couple years: Crede is not good at fielding bunts and slowly hit ground balls that he has to charge and barehand.

Crede was also thrown out at home plate, but we shouldn't be surprised since he is a poor baserunner with poor speed.

Crede's play tonight was not an aberration; he is either incapable or too stubborn to play Ozzie's smart ball.

Deadguy
08-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Though I didn't mind seeing Konerko trying to turn a single into a double.

Konerko made an *** out of himself on that play, since he chose to admire his deep fly (ala Carlos Lee), and didn't bother to start running until he saw the ball bounce off the wall.

It's not enough that he is the slowest player in the league, but he chooses to dog it as well. There's absolutely no excuses for not running out of the gate on anything. At least when Sosa hops, he is moving in the direction of 1B, as opposed to just standing there.

ndu3t4
08-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Did anyone else catch hawk totally going off on Marriotti tonite. It was especially hilarious when he mentioned Glenn Close from Fatal Attraction.

FarWestChicago
08-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Bad night for Crede. I would attribute his play to the "dog days" of August, but he plays this bad every month of every year.Will you please get some psychological help? I'm serious. It's that or get whacked. You're completely insane. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt there. You're either nuts or a troll.

Ol' No. 2
My error, I meant to say "strike out and throw out" double play. Will edit.Doesn't matter. Running in that situation was the right move. You try to avoid the GIDP with a slow runner at the plate.

BlackHat91
I know we still have a solid lead on the division but this club just looks tired lately. The dog days of summer, I guess.

ChiSoxGirl

I think that guy's 48 hours behind schedule... and he has the color of his Sox wrong! It was 7-4 Red Sox on Saturday night! :angry:

Ol' No. 2
08-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Bad night for Crede. I would attribute his play to the "dog days" of August, but he plays this bad every month of every year.

Blum started off an inning with a leadoff double. Crede struck out and couldn't advance him to third. I understand that he has no bunting skills, but he has to be able to hit at least a grounder to the right side. (IIRC, Crede's last two bunt attempts were poped up; one to the pitcher against the Cubs for a double play, one to the catcher.)

On a successful steal attempt of third by Punto, Crede was late to the bag to receive the throw from Pierzynski. He was caught napping with his patented head down look over at third. Punto might have been safe even if Crede had been paying attention, but this type of play is not comforting.

Crede's throwing error showed tonight what I have been saying for a couple years: Crede is not good at fielding bunts and slowly hit ground balls that he has to charge and barehand.

Crede was also thrown out at home plate, but we shouldn't be surprised at that since he is a poor baserunner with poor speed.

Crede's play tonight was not an aberration; he is either incapable or too stubborn to play Ozzie's smart ball.And no hits (that counted).

Seriously, if you go to the library, you might find a copy of "Baseball for Dummies". Read it.

The Wimperoo
08-15-2005, 11:53 PM
The game was definitely blah. Offense ran itself out of the few opportunities it had. Timo at the top of the lineup is brutal.

Hawk ranting about Mariotti was pretty classic. Hawk needs to get a clue about Griffey. He went on for an entire inning talking about how the Sox don't need Griffey. It was pretty pathetic. Griffey would instantly give this offense a spark that it desperately needs. He is better than Pods in the outfield. Hawk rants about Pods-Rowand-Dye as one of the best defensive outfields in the league. Griffey-Rowand-Dye might just be the best. I don't understand how you could openly campaign about not wanting to make this team better. Even at the lowest level, Griffey>Everett>Timo. Then DJ went on to talk about how inserting Griffey at DH a couple of times a week, CF once, RF once, LF once would be disruptive to the lineup. Has he not been watching the lineups that Ozzie puts out there on a regular basis. Ozzie is always switching it up. That's one of the things they praise him on the most. It was pretty frustrating to listen to them tonight.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-15-2005, 11:55 PM
In April and May, when we were down 4-2 in the 7th I still felt good. But tonight.....I just don't get that feeling anymore. When we were down in the 7th I started cleaning my fish tank because I knew we were done. That sucks. I can't wait to get to September. Once the games mean a little more I hope the team makes my feel like April and May again. Am I the only one? Is that feeling completely gone for you too?

samram

Sweet.

NSSoxFan
Hawk ranting about Mariotti was pretty classic. Hawk needs to get a clue about Griffey. He went on for an entire inning talking about how the Sox don't need Griffey. It was pretty pathetic. Griffey would instantly give this offense a spark that it desperately needs. He is better than Pods in the outfield. Hawk rants about Pods-Rowand-Dye as one of the best defensive outfields in the league. Griffey-Rowand-Dye might just be the best. I don't understand how you could openly campaign about not wanting to make this team better. Even at the lowest level, Griffey>Everett>Timo. Then DJ went on to talk about how inserting Griffey at DH a couple of times a week, CF once, RF once, LF once would be disruptive to the lineup. Has he not been watching the lineups that Ozzie puts out there on a regular basis. Ozzie is always switching it up. That's one of the things they praise him on the most. It was pretty frustrating to listen to them tonight.

I think Hawk knows or thinks that KW isn't going to make a deal for Griffey and is trying to convince the Sox fans who are going Junior crazy that the team doesn't need him. Just my opinion.

Ol' No. 2
08-15-2005, 11:56 PM
The game was definitely blah. Offense ran itself out of the few opportunities it had. Timo at the top of the lineup is brutal.

Hawk ranting about Mariotti was pretty classic. Hawk needs to get a clue about Griffey. He went on for an entire inning talking about how the Sox don't need Griffey. It was pretty pathetic. Griffey would instantly give this offense a spark that it desperately needs. He is better than Pods in the outfield. Hawk rants about Pods-Rowand-Dye as one of the best defensive outfields in the league. Griffey-Rowand-Dye might just be the best. I don't understand how you could openly campaign about not wanting to make this team better. Even at the lowest level, Griffey>Everett>Timo. Then DJ went on to talk about how inserting Griffey at DH a couple of times a week, CF once, RF once, LF once would be disruptive to the lineup. Has he not been watching the lineups that Ozzie puts out there on a regular basis. Ozzie is always switching it up. That's one of the things they praise him on the most. It was pretty frustrating to listen to them tonight.I can't wait until they switch the radio broadcast to 670. At least I can turn on Rooney and Farmer and not have to listen to Hawk and DJ. Better to hear the PBP a second too soon rather than not at all. Is it just me or have they become almost unlistenable lately?

SOX ADDICT '73
08-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Go away, troll. :dtroll:
West, it just occurred to me that cubs_fan_since_64 last posted on the eve of our first two-game skid to Billy Beane's boys back in April. We were riding an 8-game winning streak at the time, and his/her posts were fairly positive (I even spotted a "Go Sox!" in there somewhere).

I guess he/she never recovered from that Oakland beat-down, ignored all the magical moments that have followed, and chose to resurface on a night when our B-team plays due to injuries, our 5th starter has one bad inning, and our division lead is reduced by an entire half-game! Troll doesn't even begin to cover it.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-15-2005, 11:59 PM
I think Hawk knows or thinks that KW isn't going to make a deal for Griffey and is trying to convince the Sox fans who are going Junior crazy that the team doesn't need him. Just my opinion.

Kenny is too under the radar for this much talked about deal to happen. But Frank out is just killing us, we need someone. He was a force in that lineup that pitchers had to deal with, even when he wasn't hitting. I'd love to have Franks two walks a night right now, even when he isn't hitting for average. We miss you big guy! :whiner:

The Wimperoo
08-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I can't wait until they switch the radio broadcast to 670. At least I can turn on Rooney and Farmer and not have to listen to Hawk and DJ. Better to hear the PBP a second too soon rather than not at all. Is it just me or have they become almost unlistenable lately?

Absolutely. If the radio wasn't so out of synch with the TV I wouldn't even bother with them anymore. I've been a huge Hawk supporter, but the last month or so has been wearing on my nerves.

SoxSpeed22
08-16-2005, 12:02 AM
That sure sucked. Not a good 700th post for me (wOOt!). Played not good, start Anderson tommorow.
For the record, I hated Lew Ford and Nick Punto BEFORE it was cool.

ChicagoHoosier
08-16-2005, 12:02 AM
That is a great point, where he's usually right on the money with his diving plays and robbing guys of doubles, it seems his throwing errors always come when charging the ball. Does he need to take a split second longer, or what does he need to do to improve?

Crede was also thrown out at home plate, but we shouldn't be surprised since he is a poor baserunner with poor speed.
I'm still in favor of Cora sending him. If the throw wasn't right there, he still could have made it. They forced Ford (I think) to throw it well and he did. I usually won't disagree with Cora's decisions and don't in this case.

Crede's play tonight was not an aberration; he is either incapable or too stubborn to play Ozzie's smart ball.
I really hope you're wrong on both accounts and that it is a aberration and I still won't count out the back problems.

samram
08-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Kenny is too under the radar for this much talked about deal to happen. But Frank out is just killing us, we need someone. He was a force in that lineup that pitchers had to deal with, even when he wasn't hitting. I'd love to have Franks two walks a night right now, even when he isn't hitting for average. We miss you big guy! :whiner:

The fact that KW operates "under the radar" doesn't mean he won't do deals that are known about, just that he doesn't always talk about deals he is discussing. I doubt he's saying "Well, too many people know about this deal. Screw it, let's pick up F.P. Santangelo- no one will expect that."

Fake Chet Lemon
08-16-2005, 12:04 AM
I can't wait until they switch the radio broadcast to 670. At least I can turn on Rooney and Farmer and not have to listen to Hawk and DJ. Better to hear the PBP a second too soon rather than not at all. Is it just me or have they become almost unlistenable lately?

They are unlistenable when losing. Hawk makes excuses assuming we are IDIOTS and we believe that company line garbage. But Hawk is the best when things are going well. Rooney drives me nuts becase his calls are so misleading. He makes obvious foul balls on TV sound like potential Sox HR's in his initial call. Or when the Sox are hitting in a key situation he'll say "He pops it up..............well into the crowd." He makes you initially think we just hit into the 3rd out when it's an obvious foul on TV. I've gone to XM to listen to the other teams call on some games because Rooney and Hawk have driven me nuts.

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2005, 12:06 AM
That is a great point, where he's usually right on the money with his diving plays and robbing guys of doubles, it seems his throwing errors always come when charging the ball. Does he need to take a split second longer, or what does he need to do to improve?Yeah, it certainly seems odd that he'd tend to make throwing errors on difficult plays where he has to charge the ball and make a rushed, off-balance throw.

shoota
08-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Rooney drives me nuts becase his calls are so misleading. He makes obvious foul balls on TV sound like potential Sox HR's in his initial call.

I have the same complaint about Rooney, which is my only complaint I have with him.

Perhaps he's trying to add excitement to the game, but he doesn't realize what a heartbreaking disappointment it is when a Sox fly ball is caught shy of the warning track after he screamed like it was a 480-foot Borchard bomb.

SOecks
08-16-2005, 12:10 AM

Why do you have to wait until they are on 670? You can just listen to Rooney and farmer now on 1000 either on the radio or internet.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Sounds funny, since we played the Twins tonight but I think the Sox just had an expected let down. The big Yankee-Red Sox roadtrip, then sitting through all the rain yesterday. That first game off a roadtrip is an extension of the trip since you traveled the previous day/night. I won't be shocked if we drill the Twins the next two games.

mmmmmbeeer
08-16-2005, 12:15 AM
In April and May, when we were down 4-2 in the 7th I still felt good. But tonight.....I just don't get that feeling anymore. When we were down in the 7th I started cleaning my fish tank because I knew we were done. That sucks. I can't wait to get to September. Once the games mean a little more I hope the team makes my feel like April and May again. Am I the only one? Is that feeling completely gone for you too?

Just look at the 8th. Uribe gets the leadoff hit, I'm thinkin' rally. So Carl steps to the plate, swinging for the fences, and Ks. Paulie comes to the plate, swinging for the fences, and Ks. AJ comes to the plate, swinging for the fences, and Ks. Earlier in the season these guys came to the plate with a different approach and we all like to call it smartball. Rincon is a dead fastball pitcher and Paulie is a dead fastball hitter....Paulie looked like a fool. If he gets up there and just tries to rip a line drive, we would have had a much better shot at a rally.

ChiSoxGirl
08-16-2005, 12:16 AM

I'm having the same feelings as you in regards to this team. In the games we've been down recently, I've been uttering the words, "we're going to lose this game" more in the past 4 weeks than I did in the first 4 months of the season.

I'm choosing to blame the dog days of summer and that dead arm period pitchers seem to go through around this time of the season. As of tonight, all in our rotation except El Duque (thanks to two stints on the DL) have at least 144 IP and they're feeling the weariness. I'm not sure what their career IP are, but it looks like those 4 will definitely be at the 200+ IP mark come the end of the regular season.

I'm trying not to get too down with each loss, but it's been anything but easy. It's depressing. I'm just glad we have a 15 game lead on the Twins or this loss would've meant so much more!

SOecks
08-16-2005, 12:21 AM
It just really bothers me that they seem to always look tired and end up losing every time there's a packed house. It happens again tonight against the hated Twins. I guess it's not important but just expect big play when the fans pack the house. It's going to be like that in the playoffs so they better start winning when it's full.

BeviBall!
08-16-2005, 12:26 AM
We killed ourselves in this game... handed the game over.

First of all... Paulie didn't dog that ball. He inexplicably stopped running 2/3rds of the way to second. No clue what he was thinking.

Cora. Joe Crede is not Juan Uribe or Pods.

The meltdown inning for Contreras. The Twins failed to score in every inning but the 4th. You shouldn't lose a game like that, esp. at home.

Why in the world didn't Anderson start? Watch, he'll play against Johan and strike out 3 times. Good way to feel comfortable in your first trip to the show.

And... why is Timo leading off? Didn't Rowand lead off about 30 times in 2004? I have a feeling he'd be a bit more dangerous.

If there ever was a glaring need for Griffey it was watching Carl, PK and AJ all strike out in the 8th.

tschneid83
08-16-2005, 12:27 AM

not to rag on the sox cause I have no worries about this team but that feeling has been gone for me for a little bit. I dont think it is a lack of effort or that we cant or dont want to come back in 2, 3, or 4 run games it is just those games are a lot harder to win this time of the year (in my opinion). Everything that could of fallen our way early in the season did and we took advantage of it like any good team would. We are just getting a taste of our own medicine at times which is fine b/c honestly I did not want to stroll into anything come october. This team will get it back together. We will start finding ways to win consistently (which we still are...best team in baseball) and will remain the best team in baseball. injuries, hot temps, long season winding down, and guys getting tired are taking effect but our team will overcome these problems and will be ready to go in october.

quick question: if we lose tom. does that count as a 4 game losing streak?

did not see this mentioned to today and was just curious.

slavko
08-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Just from looking at the tube, I'd say the crowd cleared out of there faster than it needed to during the late innings. Must be a lot of Cub fans on Monday night.

itsnotrequired
08-16-2005, 12:36 AM
Sig update time.

How come I see so many loses? Bah.

ChiSoxGirl
08-16-2005, 12:37 AM
quick question: if we lose tom. does that count as a 4 game losing streak?

did not see this mentioned to today and was just curious.

With Sunday's game being washed out, nothing about it counts in regards to statistics, streaks, or standings. So if we do lose tomorrow, it'd be our first four gamer of the season. :whiner: :angry:

balke
08-16-2005, 12:40 AM
I missed the game, but saw the box score.

Perez
Uribe
Everett
Konerko
AJ

What a pathetic top 5 put out tonight. Either slow or terrible. I understand now why Ozzie mentioned putting Harris in the leadoff spot for a while, Perez should NEVER be allowed to leadoff.

Good news is that spot in the order is usually Pods/Gooch. Whatever, looks like Contreras might have thrown at least mediocre. Only 2 BB's, and no HR. 4 ER is not good though, especially against the Twins offense right now. It all came in one inning? Was that the inning Crede made the misthrow?

I really think the Sox need Griffey this year. We only have these pitchers under contract for so long, we have to play for now and next year, Sox need a toop major league bat to push them through the playoffs.

NDSox12
08-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Good news is that spot in the order is usually Pods/Gooch. Whatever, looks like Contreras might have thrown at least mediocre. Only 2 BB's, and no HR. 4 ER is not good though, especially against the Twins offense right now. It all came in one inning? Was that the inning Crede made the misthrow?

No, Crede's error wasn't even remotely responsible for ANY of the Twins runs, although I can understand how you would have been confused on that :smile:

The Twins just stacked up a bunch of hits in that one inning. I'm not pinning this one on Jose. Although he definitely could have been better against a weak hitting team, you have to blame this one on the offense. If we can't score against Kyle Lohse, I fear what Radke and Santana might do to us.

We'll see though. Tomorrow is a new day.

Muopsies
08-16-2005, 12:48 AM
They are unlistenable when losing. Hawk makes excuses assuming we are IDIOTS and we believe that company line garbage. But Hawk is the best when things are going well. Rooney drives me nuts becase his calls are so misleading. He makes obvious foul balls on TV sound like potential Sox HR's in his initial call. Or when the Sox are hitting in a key situation he'll say "He pops it up..............well into the crowd." He makes you initially think we just hit into the 3rd out when it's an obvious foul on TV. I've gone to XM to listen to the other teams call on some games because Rooney and Hawk have driven me nuts.

Farmer is far more guilty of misleading calls. Case in point tonight on Konerko's fly ball that Stewart caught. Farmer, who shouldnt touch play by play in my opinion, had this call: "this is number 31!...........if it goes.........Stewart leaps...........caught" This wasn't the first time Ed's had a misleading call and I'm sure it won't be his last either.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-16-2005, 12:51 AM
i remember a call by rooney i think that was during the cubs sox series. It was crede's hit that was caught by hollandsworth. I was so pissed..."That ball driven deep! its going! going!....CAUGHT! by the left fielder!"

Jjav829
08-16-2005, 01:15 AM

Ahhh, it must have been Joey Cora's homer that won the game for us. Now it's all starting to make sense....

For those wondering what the hell I am talking about; Stuart Scott informed the viewers during halftime of the Eagles-Steelers game that Joey Cora hit a home run tonight. Uhhh....Booyah Joey! :?:

Dan H
08-16-2005, 01:15 AM
I think you just described this team TONIGHT, not this team in general. Third place team? Give me a break!

They looked like a third place team and were totally outplayed by the Twins. But it isn't just one game. They miss Podesnik greatly. Let's hope the guy can return fully healthy. Everett swang the bat very well, but he is hurting terribly. Bangs one off the right field wall and is lucky to get a single. This team is not the same team that got off to a such a great start. If key players don't heal up, this teamn will be no threat in the playoffs.

Fake Chet Lemon is right. Sending Everett and Uribe when Konerko had a full count was super dumb. Everett can't even run. The Sox made things so easy for the Twins that first inning.

There has been no clutch hitting for some time. There is plenty to be concerned about here. Tonight everything was magnified. Ozzie was awful and Joe Crede had his head up his butt. It was brutal and the White Sox need to turn things around.

shoota
08-16-2005, 01:29 AM
i remember a call by rooney i think that was during the cubs sox series. It was crede's hit that was caught by hollandsworth. I was so pissed..."That ball driven deep! its going! going!....CAUGHT! by the left fielder!"

I can't blame Rooney much on that one because if I'm thinking of the same play, that's the one Hollandsworth pulled back a home run. Was it the game Maddux started? The Sox lost that game at Comiskey and though very early, was the turning point in the game.

FarWestChicago
08-16-2005, 01:31 AM
There has been no clutch hitting for some time. There is plenty to be concerned about here. Tonight everything was magnified. Ozzie was awful and Joe Crede had his head up his butt. It was brutal and the White Sox need to turn things around.You're right. You and FCL. The whole ****ing season is over. We shouldn't even bother watching any more games. The Sox are a horrible team. What a waste this year has been.

You gutless wonder Dark Clouds need to take a break. You don't have what it takes to make it through a season. Go away. Come back when the Sox are eliminated from playoff contention, as you predict, or after they somehow stumble in to the postseason. Those made of sterner stuff will hold the fort down in the meantime.

Bobbo35
08-16-2005, 01:41 AM
Seriously, ****.

Exactly!!!

SoxSpeed22
08-16-2005, 02:06 AM
I hate August!

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2005, 02:12 AM
This team has yet to lose more than three in a row, so don't hold your heads down...This has STILL been one helluva season! There is nothing to be ashamed of. Come September, this team will be back again!!! Getting Podesdnik healthy is our top priority right now. Once he is, our offense will be getting back to the Ozzieball that helped them stage this HUGE lead in the division.

JB98
08-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Joey Cora cost us tonight by sending Crede on the base hit by Uribe. Quite clearly, Everett OWNS Lohse. He had two singles and a walk against him tonight, and he has fared extremely well against him in the past. I would have liked to have seen Carl up there with runners at first and third in that situation. IMO, the chances of Everett delivering a big two-out hit were greater than Crede's chances of scoring on the Uribe single. Also, Konerko hit the ball hard twice tonight against Lohse. I feel we had a chance for a big inning there, and we ran ourselves out of it.

And Harrelson is a village idiot for saying we couldn't use Griffey. We have arguably the best pitching staff in baseball. I'll take our defense over anybody else in the American League. But the reality is we are a bat short without Frank. We are 12-13 in our last 25 games, and that coincides with the loss of Thomas. Let's not kid ourselves here. I'm sure we could find a spot for a future HOF'er like Griffey in the lineup, especially if he is only going to cost prospects and cash.

I hope Ozzie wakes up tomorrow and realizes that Anderson needs to be the LF until Podsednik returns. To have .215-hitting Timo Perez in the leadoff spot is just embarrassing for a championship-contending team. And yet another freaking day off for Iguchi. If we win the first two games of our first-round playoff series, is Guillen going to sit Tadahito in Game 3 in order to "keep him fresh." Blum played well tonight and Uribe did a nice job in the two-hole, but this team needs Gooch. And we need Rowand batting leadoff EVERY DAY until Scotty gets healthy.

Nellie_Fox
08-16-2005, 03:31 AM
http://deniskitchen.com/docs/bios/bio.jbtfsplk.jpgJoe Btfsplk

BarbG
08-16-2005, 04:29 AM
Bad night for Crede...

Groan. Isn't every night a bad night for Crede in your "unofficial" book?

Blum started off an inning with a leadoff double. Crede struck out and couldn't advance him to third...

Then Uribe and Perez both grounded out and stranded him. It happens.

On a successful steal attempt of third by Punto, Crede was late to the bag to receive the throw from Pierzynski...Punto might have been safe even if Crede had been paying attention...

You mean, like he was at 2nd the two times he stole THAT base tonight?

Crede...is a poor baserunner with poor speed.

I think you're confusing him with Konerko, a poor baserunner with poor speed, who got thrown out at 2nd on what should have been an easy double, at a point that we could have gotten something going. That happens too.

Crede's play tonight was not an aberration...

No, it sure wasn't. He tried hard, and he came up with two hits on a night when our 1, 5, 6 and 7 hitters combined came up with NONE.

Did Joe Crede kick your dog or something? Seriously, I can't think of a player in my lifetime who's been half as bad as you make Crede out to be.

We had a good time at the park tonight. Great crowd, totally with them all the way, I wish all the enthusiasm would have rubbed off on the guys a bit more.

The only major disappointment was watching the 8th inning disappear with strikeouts. At least AJ managed to keep the bat IN his hands this time.

Go get 'em tomorrow.

southsideirish71
08-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Groan. Isn't every night a bad night for Crede in your "unofficial" book?

Then Uribe and Perez both grounded out and stranded him. It happens.

You mean, like he was at 2nd the two times he stole THAT base tonight?

I think you're confusing him with Konerko, a poor baserunner with poor speed, who got thrown out at 2nd on what should have been an easy double, at a point that we could have gotten something going. That happens too.

No, it sure wasn't. He tried hard, and he came up with two hits on a night when our 1, 5, 6 and 7 hitters combined came up with NONE.

Did Joe Crede kick your dog or something? Seriously, I can't think of a player in my lifetime who's been half as bad as you make Crede out to be.

We had a good time at the park tonight. Great crowd, totally with them all the way, I wish all the enthusiasm would have rubbed off on the guys a bit more.

The only major disappointment was watching the 8th inning disappear with strikeouts. At least AJ managed to keep the bat IN his hands this time.

Go get 'em tomorrow.

Maybe Blum should of been playing for Crede. Crede is batting .115 for the month of August and has a bad back. Get him as much rest as possible. Blum has a good glove and has played well at third. If we are worried about getting Blum ABs then have him hit for Crede who is hurt and is slumping badly.

Resting Gooch who hits Lohse at a .667 pace didnt make sense.

Arow should be hitting in the leadoff spot until Pods returns. He hit in that spot last year with good success.

Dan H
08-16-2005, 08:19 AM
You're right. You and FCL. The whole ****ing season is over. We shouldn't even bother watching any more games. The Sox are a horrible team. What a waste this year has been.

You gutless wonder Dark Clouds need to take a break. You don't have what it takes to make it through a season. Go away. Come back when the Sox are eliminated from playoff contention, as you predict, or after they somehow stumble in to the postseason. Those made of sterner stuff will hold the fort down in the meantime.

No one is predicting that the White Sox are going to be eliminated from playoff contention, at least not me. And I am not saying they are horrible team. A team with a 12 game lead is not horrible. It is one thing for a team to lose, it is quite another for a team to beat itself like the Sox did against the Twins.

There is no reason to panic, but there is plenty of reason to be concerned. Podsenik is on the DL and who knows how he will be when he returns. The Sox don't pay Carl Everett to run but he banged one off the right field wall last night and didn't even think of going for two. When he scored on a Dye's sacrifice fly, he hobbled home. Obviously the guy is hurting and that is more reason for concern.

This is not a team with a great offense. You take a couple of pieces out of the equation, and you can have some dire consequences. And speaking of bad offenses or at least offenses that went to sleep, look at the playoff performances in 1983 and 2000.

Even while the Sox lost, I still thought they had the better team on the field. But they didn't play like it. Hopefully, the Sox know this and get back to playing like the first place team that they are.

By the way, I am not a so-called Dark Cloud. I have been a Sox fan for over 40 years, and have put up with a lot of disappointment. I just happen to call it as I see it. The Sox can't fall into any bad habits, no matter what their record is, because they will just take those habits into the post-season. They already have a nine game post season losing streak at home since 1959. Let's hope they don't add to it.

Madvora
08-16-2005, 08:24 AM
OK, I'm jumping in on this thread kind of late, so I haven't read through all 4 pages, but don't you think we would do better with Iguchi (.279) and Rowand (.284) as the 1 and 2 hitters rather than Timo (.214) and Uribe (.252)?
I don't understand why Ozzie can't see this. Timo is not a lead off man, he's barely a major leaguer.
Put those two guys at the top of the order and just let Anderson go out there for a game and see how we do. He can bat 6 or 7.

It is kind of nice not living a dying by every loss anymore, but I kind of miss that intensity. They'll get all that back in about a month and a half.

ChiSox62-
08-16-2005, 08:37 AM
I personally think that the Sox don't NEED Griffey. If they get him, it might be nice, but they definately do not need him. Putting Griffey in the lineup, when everyone is healthy, takes an important piece out of it...Pods, Rowand, Dye or Carl...I think we are good enough to win without him and without home field advantage. Who cares what happening in August, its a tough month and a month like this was bound to happen. Keep in mind last season Boston got swept at colorado, lost 3 out 4 at home to cleveland during an important stretch...all teams go through times like this...now lets see how they respond.

Go SOX

Madvora
08-16-2005, 08:48 AM
I personally think that the Sox don't NEED Griffey. If they get him, it might be nice, but they definately do not need him. Putting Griffey in the lineup, when everyone is healthy, takes an important piece out of it...Pods, Rowand, Dye or Carl...I think we are good enough to win without him and without home field advantage. Who cares what happening in August, its a tough month and a month like this was bound to happen. Keep in mind last season Boston got swept at colorado, lost 3 out 4 at home to cleveland during an important stretch...all teams go through times like this...now lets see how they respond.

Go SOX
I was going back and forth on that yesterday and mentioned how he would replace one of those guys and not guys like Crede or Uribe, but someone made a good point... Griffey would be in there everyday and Everett would most likely rotate more. Griffey>Everett and Everett>Timo

ChiSox62-
08-16-2005, 09:04 AM
But my problem is, Who starts in the first game of the playoffs...If we get Griffey...he basically has to start...so who do you bench...you cant bench rowand...cant bench dye either...Pods?? We need him to be healthy and the player he was before his legs got tired...I guess that leaves Carl, and I would never bench Carl...he has been nothing but great for the sox when they needed him this season..its not fair to him..the sox didnt get this far by having star players..we got this far by working as a team, like everyone says, great pitching, great defense and just enough offense...if we get great pitching and great defense come october, i like our chances with or without Griffey

tsamdog
08-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Before I really begin to rant about the 'B' team last night, and the fact that we have mediocre at best since the break, does anyone have our Monday (or Tuesday) record upon the return from a road trip? Once again, we seemed flat and suffered from numerous 'brain cramps'. I know that Jose has his moments, but he certainly pitched well enough to beat Minny at the Cell.

On the Griffey subject, all good teams make a move at this time to push them over the top. This team needs a shot of adrenalin and the belief that the organization is working to get them deep into October. Right now, it's not happening.

TornLabrum
08-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Now I remember why I don't read postgame threads when the Sox lose. Seriously, people, some of you need to get a grip on yourselves. Anytime we lose more than two games in a row, what do we see here?

:darkcloud:

I think a lot of us would appreciate it if you'd go back into hiding. Seriously. I'm sick of this constant bitching and moaning every time we lose a few games, and the attendant scapegoating of certain players, or coaches...or even the manager. It's getting old people!

ja1022
08-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Holy ****!! If I didn't know any better I'd think this was a Twins or Indians message board. It sure doesn't read like one for a team that still has the best record in baseball at 32 games over .500 despite a little bit of a recent struggle. Again, it's the longest season in sports; good teams-hell, great teams will go through stretches of ****ty baseball. It happens. Every year. Always. Relax. Nothing an eight game winning streak won't make you forget.

MsSoxVixen22
08-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Now I remember why I don't read postgame threads when the Sox lose. Seriously, people, some of you need to get a grip on yourselves. Anytime we lose more than two games in a row, what do we see here?

:darkcloud:

I think a lot of us would appreciate it if you'd go back into hiding. Seriously. I'm sick of this constant bitching and moaning every time we lose a few games, and the attendant scapegoating of certain players, or coaches...or even the manager. It's getting old people!

Exactly! We're just in a funk right now. I'd rather have it happen now than in the playoffs. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we take the next 2. Everyone take a chill pill!

Rocky Soprano
08-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Timo sucks!

Konerko has to be the most un-clutch hitter EVER!

This team needs to wake up!

Ok now that I got that out, GO SOX! I know we are still the best team in baseball but these past few games have been tough, I am not used to seeing this team struggle.

BeviBall!
08-16-2005, 09:34 AM
People forget that we were winning 8 in a row when we were healthy. With Pods, Frank and Gooch either down or out of the lineup for various reasons, Everett gimping around the basepaths and Crede airmailing throws because of his back... I'm hoping for .500 ball until Sept. 1. Still have the Yanks, Angels and Rangers to go.

Who knows? 2 runs might be enough off Santana if MB can regain his form on Weds.

starboy0
08-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Within the context of the whole season, last night's loss is not important. But focussing only on this game, which is what we just did for the last few hours, it was frustrating loss!

We're going to be OK. Sometimes people just want to let off some steam among friends (?) after an annoying loss. It's game specific commentary; not season specific commentary.

Baby Fisk
08-16-2005, 09:54 AM

This is so ludicrous I LOLed. What is it with people who love to wallow in defeat, then go silent when the team is winning? People like this are seriously messed up if a three game skid can send them racing for the nearest bridge. Question: how come they never do everyone else a favour and JUMP?!

It's hardly time to panic: we are in mid-August and this is the first real slump for the Sox.

russ99
08-16-2005, 10:07 AM
August sucks for almost everybody. Teams are banged up or just tired, and it's too early for the dominant teams (Sox, Cards) to clinch, or the teams in tight races to get overly excited about the day-to-day resuts (i.e., wild card contender loses three straight with a month and a half to go, who cares; with a week and a half left, jump off the nearest bridge).

To put a magic number of 34 into perspective, as long as the Sox win 17 more games and the Tribe loses 17 more, it's all good. I have enjoyed the distinction of owning the "best record in baseball", but at this point, I don't even care if we have a better record than the A's/Angels or BoSox/Yanks when it's all said and done. I'd hate for Sox fans to lose out on home playoff games, but it doesn't seem like a homefield advantage exists for the Sox anyway.

Great post - Also, this is the pitching "dead arm" period for most starters.

Everyone chill out - Every team goes through at least one slump per season, and I'd rather have it now than in October. Get everyone rested and healthy, and get everything together in September for the playoff run.

alohafri
08-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Ok, so some of us are letting off a little steam and getting frustrated...also, there's a scrub fan in my office who just loves to rub in every loss. That tends to make me a bit edgy after the Sox lose.

---Mrs. Aloha

Rocky Soprano
08-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Ok, so some of us are letting off a little steam and getting frustrated...also, there's a scrub fan in my office who just loves to rub in every loss. That tends to make me a bit edgy after the Sox lose.

---Mrs. Aloha

I guess the Scrub fan didn't see his team get spanked. Or does he not care?

LVSoxFan
08-16-2005, 11:01 AM
We suck right now. We just look flat. And Lord oh Lord does Contreras drive me insane.

Our leaving men on base has just become nauseating. Granted, we've been doing that all season, but lately it's just been sick. And people like Blum aren't exactly players that light the team on fire.

Does anybody remember the last time we stole a base, BTW? I don't. I'm not talking just about Pods. In the beginning, I saw everybody from Tads to Rowand to Dye steal bases. Now, I guess since Pods is out, we've given up. Minnesota stole like three or four last night--another low-light.

I guess if we're going to slump, now's the time, as long as we don't blow the division--but I sure would like to see that MIA "small ball" that got us this far. For the last month we've been playing like the '04 Sox. Yeah the homers are fun (nice one out of the park at Fenway, Dye!), but I'll take "Smartball" over the fireworks any day.

After the Yankees, I thought we had a great start to the month. Boston was shaky, and now we're back to our home losing streak.

Time for the "B" squad to get themselves to together to give our "A" squad a rest before the playoffs.

infohawk
08-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Well, I perused through the thread and, not surprisingly, noticed some negativity and blame being thrown about.

Guys, it's the dog days of August. The division is pretty well sown-up. Some injuries have caught up to the team. There is much discussion about KW possibly adding a player. I might be a little concerned if the Sox don't have some momentum going into the playoffs, but I'm talking about the last couple of weeks in September. We've had a "bad" month so far because the team has gone 6-7. It's a game below .500, but c'mon, if around .500 ball for half a month is considered "bad" it's because the team has played to such a high standard.

Right now Pods, Crede and Hermy have injuries and I think Iguchi is kind of beat-up. Ozzie's biggest task now is to make sure that the team is 100% healthy for the playoffs. Make no mistake, it is a BIG deal when neither Pods or Iguchi is in the line-up. They are a huge part of what this team does to win. Expecting dominant play without those two in the line-up together kind of begs the question as to why we really need them in the first place. No sense in putting the pedal to the metal and limping into the playoffs with injuries. Give the key guys some rest. We don't need to win 110 games and have the best record in baseball. That doesn't get us one solitary win in the playoffs. Ozzie's been through a multitude of grueling seasons as a player. I trust him to know what he needs to do to give his players the best chance to win when they get there.

SOecks
08-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Is Iguchi hurt or something? I haven't heard anything but he seems to have gotten a LOT of days off in the last month or two. I know he got hit by that pitch a while ago but that's all I heard. Does Ozzie just like keeping "his MVP" on the bench?

harwar
08-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Is Iguchi hurt or something? I haven't heard anything but he seems to have gotten a LOT of days off in the last month or two. I know he got hit by that pitch a while ago but that's all I heard. Does Ozzie just like keeping "his MVP" on the bench?

The schedule which he is used to in Japan is something like 120 games.

harwar
08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Also,this is the time of year when every team starts to drag a little.
Nagging injuries and just plain exhaution,can and will,catch up with players.
Most teams are going through the same thing as we are right now.
Even the mighty oakland A's are having some problems.
The yankees look to be coming on and i expect them and the redsox will be in the playoffs once again.
I expect our team will muddle through the next week or so and then get their second wind.
Then we will see the same White Sox team that we have been cheering most of the year and with the playoffs looming,everyone will,more than likely,be so excited that most on here will even forget to complain about all the little things that seem to drive them to distraction.

LVSoxFan
08-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Well, I perused through the thread and, not surprisingly, noticed some negativity and blame being thrown about.

Guys, it's the dog days of August. The division is pretty well sown-up. Some injuries have caught up to the team. There is much discussion about KW possibly adding a player. I might be a little concerned if the Sox don't have some momentum going into the playoffs, but I'm talking about the last couple of weeks in September. We've had a "bad" month so far because the team has gone 6-7. It's a game below .500, but c'mon, if around .500 ball for half a month is considered "bad" it's because the team has played to such a high standard.

Right now Pods, Crede and Hermy have injuries and I think Iguchi is kind of beat-up. Ozzie's biggest task now is to make sure that the team is 100% healthy for the playoffs. Make no mistake, it is a BIG deal when neither Pods or Iguchi is in the line-up. They are a huge part of what this team does to win. Expecting dominant play without those two in the line-up together kind of begs the question as to why we really need them in the first place. No sense in putting the pedal to the metal and limping into the playoffs with injuries. Give the key guys some rest. We don't need to win 110 games and have the best record in baseball. That doesn't get us one solitary win in the playoffs. Ozzie's been through a multitude of grueling seasons as a player. I trust him to know what he needs to do to give his players the best chance to win when they get there.

Totally agreed. I would like to see the "B" team step up, though and--beat up or not--us stop leaving so many RISP.

That's all. You're exactly right in that who gives a toss about the overall record... if we don't get anywhere in the playoffs (helloooooo... 2001?).

I'd rather see Oakland/Boston go on a tear now and then us rumble on through October because we've got the Big Mo... which is everything.

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Why do you have to wait until they are on 670? You can just listen to Rooney and farmer now on 1000 either on the radio or internet.Because as soon as they switch the signal direction (8pm on the dot) the signal goes to hell.

The Dude
08-16-2005, 12:49 PM

Shoota, this game for Crede must have been your favorite of the season! Congrats

PaulDrake
08-16-2005, 12:49 PM
In April and May, when we were down 4-2 in the 7th I still felt good. But tonight.....I just don't get that feeling anymore. When we were down in the 7th I started cleaning my fish tank because I knew we were done. That sucks. I can't wait to get to September. Once the games mean a little more I hope the team makes my feel like April and May again. Am I the only one? Is that feeling completely gone for you too? I have exactly the same feeling, or should I say the same loss of that intangible spark of optimism. This team is not the same as the one that went 62-29. It remains to be seen if this is a pothole on the road to success or a giant sinkhole. I am by no means predicting doom and gloom , I'm just not sure. I just know that for the moment things aren't right.

The Dude
08-16-2005, 12:52 PM

I thought the same thing and sorry to say, i believe we are correct.

JB98
08-16-2005, 01:11 PM
I have exactly the same feeling, or should I say the same loss of that intangible spark of optimism. This team is not the same as the one that went 62-29. It remains to be seen if this is a pothole on the road to success or a giant sinkhole. I am by no means predicting doom and gloom , I'm just not sure. I just know that for the moment things aren't right.

That sums it up. When we fell behind 4-0 last night, my thought was, "This game is over." When we fell behind 3-0 Saturday in Boston, my thought was, "This game is over." In both cases, I was correct. I never would have thought that way a couple months ago. Our team looks flat because our offense has been inconsistent at best. Again, we are 12-13 since Frank went down. Thankfully, our lead has stayed at 12 games. However, we need a spark from somewhere. We can't ask our pitchers to hold the opponent to one run every day.

And I don't care if people call me a dark cloud. When we win, I post positive comments. When we lose, my reaction is generally negative. So shoot me. It's frustrating to see the team lay an egg at home in front of an enthusiastic crowd. Especially against mediocre teams like Minnesota. The same thing happened against Toronto too.

maurice
08-16-2005, 01:17 PM
It was an unusually bad game by Crede. Yeah, he can't bunt for ****, and he's surprisingly bad at fielding bunts, but the other stuff is unusual for him. IMHO, the most unusual play was when he bellyflopped in front of Uribe for no apparent reason, turning a routine 6-3 into an outstanding play by Uribe.

Maybe it was the relatively late flight. He should just forget yesterday and go kick some ass today.

First of all... Paulie didn't dog that ball. He inexplicably stopped running 2/3rds of the way to second. No clue what he was thinking.

Actually, he did BOTH. He didn't run out of the box, then he started jogging to 1st, then he picked it up a bit rounding 1st, then he stopped because he didn't know *** was happening. If he runs at all, even a sloth like Konerko is in standing up, because the throw went to 3B.

In fact, that's only 1 of 3 plays he failed to run out. He didn't want to leave the batter's box on the pop-into-a-double-play ball that was only a couple of feet foul OR the fly that Stewart caught at (but not over) the wall.

Uribe got benched for far less.

LVSoxFan
08-16-2005, 01:21 PM
In Paulie's defense, he was safe on that tag. Bad call.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
If we get Griffey...he basically has to start...so who do you bench...you cant bench rowand...cant bench dye either...Pods?? We need him to be healthy and the player he was before his legs got tired...I guess that leaves Carl, and I would never bench Carl...
This belongs in the Griffey Mega-thread, but:

For the last time folks, getting Junior means that those guys you just mentioned would all get an extra day of rest once in a while without us having to see Timo Perez or Pablo Ozuna in the starting lineup. Wouldn't it be nice to give an outfielder or DH a day off without the Dark Clouds shrieking "B-team! B-team! Ozzie's a moron and doesn't want to win this one!"

Each of them, Griffey included, would still start plenty of games, but would be well-rested in October when it matters. And there would be much less chance for injuries. Dye, Junior, Carl and now Pods have all had their serious/chronic problems in the past, and the way Rowand plays it's only a matter of time before he ends up in a body cast.

SOXfnNlansing
08-16-2005, 01:30 PM

It will be one and done in the playoffs:?: :dtroll:

JB98
08-16-2005, 01:33 PM
In Paulie's defense, he was safe on that tag. Bad call.

You're defending the indefensible. Paulie should have been standing on second without a throw. That was one of three idiotic plays on the bases last night. Everett being doubled off on the pop up and Crede inexplicably being sent home by Cora are the others. Bad baserunning cost us the game.

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2005, 01:39 PM
You're defending the indefensible. Paulie should have been standing on second without a throw. That was one of three idiotic plays on the bases last night. Everett being doubled off on the pop up and Crede inexplicably being sent home by Cora are the others. Bad baserunning cost us the game.I'll agree with you on the first two. Konerko deserves to get his tailfeathers singed good for that. It's inexcusable. As is Everett being doubled off on a pop up. But I'll side with Cora on sending Crede. It took a perfect throw to get him, which, unfortunately, it was. He's been aggressive all year and most of the time it works out. Sometimes you get beat.

LuvSox
08-16-2005, 01:45 PM
But I'll side with Cora on sending Crede. It took a perfect throw to get him, which, unfortunately, it was. He's been aggressive all year and most of the time it works out. Sometimes you get beat.

It's aggressive when you send Podsednik or Iguchi, it's downright stupid to send Crede or Konerko.

JB98
08-16-2005, 01:46 PM
I'll agree with you on the first two. Konerko deserves to get his tailfeathers singed good for that. It's inexcusable. As is Everett being doubled off on a pop up. But I'll side with Cora on sending Crede. It took a perfect throw to get him, which, unfortunately, it was. He's been aggressive all year and most of the time it works out. Sometimes you get beat.

I understand your point, but I didn't like the move because Everett was the next hitter. Carl kills the ball against Lohse. This was one case where I would have played it conservative to give Everett a chance to make a big swing and get us back in the game. Now, if Timo Perez had been the next hitter due up, I would have agreed with sending Crede.

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I understand your point, but I didn't like the move because Everett was the next hitter. Carl kills the ball against Lohse. This was one case where I would have played it conservative to give Everett a chance to make a big swing and get us back in the game. Now, if Timo Perez had been the next hitter due up, I would have agreed with sending Crede.Fair enough. Different people are going to calculate the odds differently. I probably would have sent him.