PDA

View Full Version : Konerko gets a quote right?

Madvora
08-15-2005, 10:25 AM
The Red Sox will need a first baseman for next season and the names on top of the off-season shopping list should be Paul Konerko of the White Sox, Philadelphia's Jim Thome and Colorado's Todd Helton, says the Boston Globe.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

Rumor mill stuff here. I'm sure this is coming from the paper and not directly from the team. However, I guess this is common sense if they're looking for a first baseman.
I'd like to have Mike Sweeney in place of Konerko, but he's paid very heavily. Who knows if Paulie will resign with us or go elsewhere.

skottyj242
08-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Wasn't there a thread last week saying that we should hear within the next week or two that he resigned?

Fenway
08-15-2005, 10:29 AM
PK however said in the Globe article he not really a fan of the east coast and likes Chicago

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/08/15/struggling_clement_is_let_off_the_hook/?page=full
The contracts of Kevin Millar, John Olerud, and Roberto Petagine all expire at season's end, meaning the Red Sox' offseason shopping list figures to be headlined by a starting first baseman. The most significant name expected to be on the open market? Chicago's Paul Konerko, who was born in Providence, moved to Connecticut at age 5, then moved to Arizona, where he currently lives, at age 11.

Konerko, who's currently making $8.75 million in the final year of a three-year, $23 million deal, leads the White Sox with 30 home runs and 77 RBIs, a season after clubbing 41 and knocking in 117. His appeal is undeniable. But the city of Boston didn't sound excessively appealing when Konerko was asked yesterday if he enjoys coming here with the White Sox.

''It's good for a couple days," he said yesterday. ''I don't know if I'd want to come here all the time. It's fun to come to Fenway, it's fun to come to Yankee Stadium, places where I used to go [as a kid]. [But] the East Coast is hectic."

Would he, therefore, not consider signing with Boston?

''All options are open," said Konerko. ''The good thing about this team [Chicago] this year is we're doing so well that personally, you don't think about your whole situation. If I was on a bad team right now, I might be sitting back, already preparing for what's going to happen. This clubhouse doesn't allow that, because we're a winning team, going to the playoffs.

''I don't know what's going to happen with all that. I don't rule out any places I could play. I haven't even thought about it, other than I love Chicago and I'd love to stay here."

Madvora
08-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Geeze Fenway! That sounds a lot like a Tribune article trying to recruit players for the Cubs.

Fenway
08-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Geeze Fenway! That sounds a lot like a Tribune article trying to recruit players for the Cubs.

The New York Times owns 17% of the Red Sox

The Times also owns the Globe but they say they are totally seperate :rolleyes:

surprised they haven't opened Fenway Park Premium Seating

Soxzilla
08-15-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm surprised they even published that! I mean...a premier player not wanting to play in the holy shrine on one of the two best teams in the universe....UTTER BLASPHEMY. I'm calling for a retraction!

Mr. White Sox
08-15-2005, 03:39 PM
This, from the Boston Herald:
"There is no question he let that ball hit him on purpose. Now the questions are, 'Is it heady? Is it in the realm of doing whatever you can to win ballgames? Is it chicken ****?'"
--White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, on a play in which Jermaine Dye hit Alex Rodriguez with a throw while trying to double up Gary Sheffield (Boston Herald)

Konerko tells it like it is. These types of quotes are fine lil' media nuggets IMO, but he should think twice before reciting words about his teammates.

Flight #24
08-15-2005, 03:44 PM
This, from the Boston Herald:
"There is no question he let that ball hit him on purpose. Now the questions are, 'Is it heady? Is it in the realm of doing whatever you can to win ballgames? Is it chicken ****?'"
--White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, on a play in which Jermaine Dye hit Alex Rodriguez with a throw while trying to double up Gary Sheffield (Boston Herald)

Konerko tells it like it is. These types of quotes are fine lil' media nuggets IMO, but he should think twice before reciting words about his teammates.

Why is it that when opponents do blatantly obvious crap like this, he's diplomatic, but when it's his own teammate, "you don't do that".

Don't ask questions rhetorically, just say "There is no question he let that ball hit him on purpose, and that's chicken ****, plain and simple."

daveeym
08-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Uhm, welcome to last week and he finished up saying since it worked it must have been a heady play. So lets see some good ol fashion bashin.

MIgrenade
08-15-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm surprised they even published that! I mean...a premier player not wanting to play in the holy shrine on one of the two best teams in the universe....UTTER BLASPHEMY. I'm calling for a retraction!

Quite true, I am certain that Konerko's homeruns this weekend were all an attempt at auditioning for the east coast...as well as Aaron Rowand.