PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld on offseason player movement

maurice
08-15-2005, 03:27 PM
They have a section listing FAs, options, and potential trades at each position, including 1B (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.asp?sport=MLB&column=14&articleid=1073), OF (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.asp?sport=MLB&column=14&articleid=1077), SS (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.asp?sport=MLB&column=14&articleid=1076), and 3B (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.asp?sport=MLB&column=14&articleid=1075).

Some interesting names, including Brian Giles and Rafael Furcal.

Flight #24
08-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Interesting notes from a Sox perspective:

1 - They project Konerko to get a 4/$40M deal, and the next best 1B is the immortal Erubiel Durazo, with Kevin Millar not far behind. Both of those guys to make around $3mil.

2 - There are a number of potential OF/DH options to either replace Carl or shift Dye to 1B (if you want to do that). These include: Brian Giles (2/$18), Reggie Sanders (1/$5.5), Juan Encarnacion (2/$12)

3 - There are few, if any 3B options, best of a bad lot include: Joe Randa, Bill Mueller, & Jose Valentin. Any can be had for around $3mil

4 - If you want an FA SS who can play, it's Furcal or nothing, but he'll get big bucks. If you want one who can watch, Nomar's available. Otherwise, it's the likes of Alex Gonzalez or Julio Lugo.

Bottom line: IMO you'll see the same team here next year as you do this year. There just aren't any significant upgrades out there, and I'd bet the Sox save their financial ammo to resign Konerko and/or take on a large contract in '06 via trade. The one move I could see would be a closer from a group including Billy Wagner.

bumptious96
08-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Bottom line: IMO you'll see the same team here next year as you do this year. There just aren't any significant upgrades out there, and I'd bet the Sox save their financial ammo to resign Konerko and/or take on a large contract in '06 via trade. The one move I could see would be a closer from a group including Billy Wagner.

Agreed. This years FA crop is just bad. Thank God Kenny has our team settled in for next year. The only real deal I could see the Sox making is Wagner, B.J. Ryan, or maybe (probably not) Furcal. But other than that...we MUST resign Konerko. There's simply no one out there who will replace his power numbers, including a trade for Overbay. He our only big bopper and he's in the top 5 of all mlb in homers the past 2 or 3 seasons. With the Thomas situation a complete uncertainty Konerko has to be resigned.

The only weaknesses I see in our team is the left side of the infield and the bullpen. While the 'pen isn't necessarily a "weakness" I'd like to see a big name power arm like Wagner or B.J. Ryan come in, or just another quality arm. Theres no significant upgrade for Crede out there next year and Furcal is the only guy I could see us signing for SS.

But boy should we save our pennies for 2006! Those free agents look tasty!

Randar68
08-15-2005, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure I'd touch Wagner for the money he's going to command. Not when you have Bobby Jenks sitting there making practicallu nothing.

You pick up Hermanson's option as a set-up man. Politte, Hermanson, Cotts, Jenks is the core.

Now you go out and you have to add another Lefty if you feel Marte is about done, and one more righty. Maybe move El Duque to the pen and McCarthy as the 5th starter?

I also would explore the Dye to 1st base move ASAP. Pods is critical at the top of the order and he's not going to be the DH. Anderson is ready to play every day and you have Young, Sweeney and Owens probably 1 year behind him. Also, many more viable OF'ers in the market than at 1B other than Konerko.

I'd open 2005 like so:
Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Griffey (CF/DH)
Dye (1B/DH/RF)
Rowand (RF/DH)
Anderson (CF/RF)
AJ C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

Utility IF (unless you can get a very good SS and make Uribe the Utility guy), 5th starter, and bullpen are the biggest areas of need.

If you can't get a Griffey-type, I don't know what you do. The middle of the order is already pretty crappy and Griffey (when-healthy) helps, but it's still not really better than what we have today.

IMO, gotta keep looking for game-changing middle-of-the-order hitter, and if you can't find one, get legit bullpen and starting rotation help if you can. Improve the bench depth...

maurice
08-15-2005, 03:59 PM
[Konerko's] our only big bopper

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4305.jpg
[Cough]

Jjav829
08-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Some interesting names, including Brian Giles and Rafael Furcal.

Furcal is likely on his way out with the way Betemit has played in Chipper's absence.

Brian Giles supposedly wants to go play with his brother. I don't know how the Braves would feel about that, particularly now with Francouer and Kelly Johnson playing well this year. I would think that if Giles comes cheap enough, they'd probably do it. But I'm not sure what their payroll situation looks like.

maurice
08-15-2005, 04:12 PM
The nice thing about Giles is that he's not likely to command a long-term deal or mega-bucks-per-season because of his age. Best case scenario, you get a .950 OPS lefty at a reasonable price. Worst case scenario, you overpay for a .850 OPS guy but are off the hook after a couple of years. Interesting.

Randar68
08-15-2005, 04:14 PM
The nice thing about Giles is that he's not likely to command a long-term deal or mega-bucks-per-season because of his age. Best case scenario, you get a .950 OPS lefty at a reasonable price. Worst case scenario, you overpay for a .850 OPS guy but are off the hook after a couple of years. Interesting.

Giles won't come to Chicago. The Sox had deals in place to land him in the past and he refused to waive no-trade rights to come here.

Randar68
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Furcal is likely on his way out with the way Betemit has played in Chipper's absence.

Furcal, Alex Gonzalez and Nomar as the primary SS's on the market this year?

Would I like to land Furcal? Hell yeah. Do I think the Sox will be players? I guess it depends on what happens with Konerko/Griffey/etc, but I doubt it.

Optipessimism
08-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Giles wouldn't be good for the clubhouse.

I heard an interview on the radio with the Padres GM and he was talking about how Giles likes to take batting practice naked, and also likes walking around the field naked. He was kind of trying to laugh it off, but it sounded a little weird to me.

Also, he said that he was concerned about it because I guess there's a crack where the fans can see into the clubhouse. He was worried some kid would look in and see it.

mdep524
08-15-2005, 04:28 PM
I might be in the minority here, but I think Furcal is overrated. He's a good hitter, but he's not an Ozzie Guillen/KW White Sox "Smartball" player. I've caught a few Braves games on TV and was struck by how he fails or flat out ignores the little things, like moving runners over.
I distinctly remember him batting with a runner on 2nd and one out and pulling the ball to LF several times. I mean, he wasn't even trying to hit to RF. One time he hit a HR, which was all well and good with the Braves announcer but really wouldn't fit what we are trying to do here. he just strikes me as a bit of a me-first/money guy.

Then again, those could just be isolated incidents.

maurice
08-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Furcal = 26 years old (almost 27). Career .282 AVE / .345 OBP / 176 SB. His tools are tremendous. Some high error totals in the past, but not this season. Absurd range. Extremely strong arm. Very fast. Good pop for a guy his size. As a Dominican, he'd fit better in our clubhouse than most others. I can't vouch for his situational hitting, but his speed and D fit "smart ball."

Yes, please.

MIgrenade
08-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Furcal = 26 years old (almost 27).

Wasn't he one of those guys that was a bit older than reported? Does this age factor that in or not? Seems like it does but I'm not sure.

tweek57
08-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Furcal = 26 years old (almost 27). Career .282 AVE / .345 OBP / 176 SB. His tools are tremendous. Some high error totals in the past, but not this season. Absurd range. Extremely strong arm. Very fast. Good pop for a guy his size. As a Dominican, he'd fit better in our clubhouse than most others. I can't vouch for his situational hitting, but his speed and D fit "smart ball."

Yes, please.
Furcal has also had 2 DUIs in the past couple years and some injuries. There are huge risks behind signing him to a big deal.

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2005, 12:51 AM
I also would explore the Dye to 1st base move ASAP.

Based on ONE appearance at 1B? Dye is a valuable player to us, but he's a natural outfielder, and let's keep him there. Konerko needs to be resigned, PERIOD!

Randar68
08-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Based on ONE appearance at 1B? Dye is a valuable player to us, but he's a natural outfielder, and let's keep him there. Konerko needs to be resigned, PERIOD!

Dye makes a hair over half of what Konerko makes at VERy similar production. The Sox have 4 minor league OF'ers who will be ready to join a major league squad within the next 16 months.

You do the math. Plethora of OF'ers and a chance to spend that money elsewhere = good business sense.

Resigning Pauly at 10 million per season? Ugh.

Fine, how about this:

Resign Pauly, have Dye learn 1st base, and have them both play 1B/DH and have Anderson and/or Young out in the OF?

Flight #24
08-16-2005, 09:43 AM

Not based as much on that one appearance, but on his general athletic ability, range, and size (i.e. makes a big target). The 1 appearance was just a tiny bit of evidence that those skills can translate well to 1B.

1B is the easiest position to play defensively. Give Dye a full offseason to practice it and a full ST to work on it and I'd be he'd be at average defensively - the guy's that athletic. If so, you'd get Konerko-like production both offensively and defensively at half the price. Or more correctly, you'd have whatever dropoff there is from Konerko to Anderson/Young and have $10M to invest elsewhere.

Rocky Soprano
08-16-2005, 10:02 AM
I would take Lyle O. from the Brewers and place him at 1st base.
Just don't know who we would have to trade to get him.

Konerko puts up the power numbers but he is a one trick pony. And he has to be the most un-clutch hitter ever!

Save the money and use it somewhere else.

maurice
08-16-2005, 11:34 AM
It seems like some people think that Konerko has always been a 1B. That's not the case. He settled on that position at the major-league level, because he's not quick enough to play anywhere else. Since Dye has something like 147 times Konerko's agility, it shouldn't be difficult for Dye to learn 1B as well.

Besides, Ozzie has mentioned that Dye regularly works out at 1B and told Ozzie that he's willing to play there.

MisterB
08-16-2005, 12:20 PM
The one problem I have with moving Dye to first is that he's still a good defensive RF. With the current OF of Pods/Rowand/Dye, Pods is definitely the weakest defensively. Now, I've heard some good things about the defensive capabilities of Anderson, Sweeney and Young, but (Anderson's audition pending) I wouldn't count on any one of them being ready to bump Dye out of an OF spot before '07.

mdep524
08-16-2005, 12:40 PM
It seems like some people think that Konerko has always been a 1B. That's not the case. He settled on that position at the major-league level, because he's not quick enough to play anywhere else. Since Dye has something like 147 times Konerko's agility, it shouldn't be difficult for Dye to learn 1B as well.

Besides, Ozzie has mentioned that Dye regularly works out at 1B and told Ozzie that he's willing to play there. Yes! Thank you!

Someone mentions Dye-to-1B and half the people here spit milk out of their nose and mouth in utter shock and bewilderment. Relax people, its a very logical proposition.

mcfish
08-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Based on ONE appearance at 1B? Dye is a valuable player to us, but he's a natural outfielder, and let's keep him there. Konerko needs to be resigned, PERIOD!And a former gold glove outfielder, and the player with the best throwing arm on our team, and someone who west coast teams refuse to run on because they remember that arm... That's the guy that needs to move to 1B.

Flight #24
08-16-2005, 04:30 PM
And a former gold glove outfielder, and the player with the best throwing arm on our team, and someone who west coast teams refuse to run on because they remember that arm... That's the guy that needs to move to 1B.

Let's all remember that it's not like we're moving Dye to replace him with Timo (except for tonight's game). It's to replace him with Anderson, who by all accounts is a superior defensive player in his own right.

Nyls Nyman
08-16-2005, 05:30 PM
I'd like to see Dye become proficient at 1B because it gives Ozzie more options. Even with Konerko on the 2006 roster, having Dye be able to be the backup 1B means that you can carry 6 outfielders and 6 infielders.

Pods, Rowand, Dye, and Everett start. Then, Anderson, Owens, and Young can rotate through the two bench spots and get some big league experience - play twice/week for six weeks, then go to Charlotte to play every day for three weeks. This will allow Kenny the ability to evaluate the talent and not have Perez, Harris, or Gload polluting the outfield.

But I don't like the idea of 4x$10M for Konerko. 2x$10M plus vesting options for the 3rd and 4th years at $10M if he hits reasonable performance levels.

mdep524
08-16-2005, 06:00 PM
I'd like to see Dye become proficient at 1B because it gives Ozzie more options. Even with Konerko on the 2006 roster, having Dye be able to be the backup 1B means that you can carry 6 outfielders and 6 infielders.

Pods, Rowand, Dye, and Everett start. Then, Anderson, Owens, and Young can rotate through the two bench spots and get some big league experience - play twice/week for six weeks, then go to Charlotte to play every day for three weeks. This will allow Kenny the ability to evaluate the talent and not have Perez, Harris, or Gload polluting the outfield. Is it reasonable to expect Young and Owens to play in the majors at all next year? Both are great prospects, but are very young and inexperienced.

I haven't seen Young play in person, but isn't the word on him "unreal potential but needs time to refine his skills"? Owens is fairly raw too, IIRC. I wouldn't want to rush them up to the big leagues for no reason, considering he have such great OF depth at the major league level as it is. Plus the whole arbitration clock thingy. And what about Ryan Sweeney?

Optipessimism
08-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Not saying that some of these guys are available, but here's a list of some of the LH power bats KW could pursue via FA or trade:

Darin Erstad 1B/DH; 8.5mil for '06
Eric Chavez 3B; 9.5mil '06 & '07, 11.5mil '08 & '09, 12mil 2010, 12.5mil 2011 w/ 3mil buyout
Chipper Jones 3B; 17mil in '06, vesting options of 15mil in '07 & '08 with 5mil buyouts for both years
Lyle Overbay 1B/DH; league minimum in '05
Larry Walker LF/RF/DH; 15mil team option
Jeromy Burntiz LF/RF/DH; 7mil team option '06
Aubrey Huff 1B/3B/LF/RF/DH; 6.75mil '06
Chad Tracy 1B/3B/LF/RF/DH; league minimum in '05
Luis Gonzalez LF/RF/DH; 11.5mil '06, 10mil team option for '07
Shawn Green LF/RF/CF/DH; 8mil '06, 9mil '07, 10mil '08 mutual option, 2mil buyout
Milton Bradley LF/RF/CF (bats switch); arbitration eligible
Raul Ibanez LF/RF/DH; 4.25mil '06
Cliff Floyd, LF/RF/DH; 6.5mil '06
Brad Wilkerson 1B/LF/RF/CF/DH; arbitration eligible
Rafael Palmeiro 1B/DH; FA
Brian Giles LF/RF/DH; FA
Bobby Abreu LF/RF/DH; 13mil '06, 15mil '07, 16mil team option for '08
David Delucci LF/RF/DH; 0.95mil '06
Johnny Damon LF/RF/CF; FA
Sean Casey 1B/DH; 8.5mil '06
Adam Dunn LF/RF/DH; arbitration eligible
Ken Griffey Jr. LF/RF/CF/DH; if I understand this correctly, about 9.2mil in '06-'08 with the rest deferred from 2009-2024 and a 16.5mil team option with a 4mil buyout in '09
Todd Helton 1B/DH; 16.6mil '06-2010, 19.1mil 2011, 23mil team option for 2012 with 4.6mil buyout
Dmitri Young 1B/DH (bats switch); 8mil option for '06
Hideki Matsui LF/RF/DH; FA
Bernie Williams LF/DH (bats switch); FA
Tino Martinez 1B/DH; 3mil team option for '06

Obviously, some of these guys would be harder to pry away from a team than others, and very few may even be available. Some, like Chavez, Jones, Abreu, Griffey, and Helton are owed a ton of money so they might be available in the right deal if someone decides to pick up a large portion, or in Chipper or Abreu's case, all of the remaining dollars.

The point of this is to show that in a weak FA market there are still plenty of options out there to explore when looking for the LH hitter we so desperately need.